• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 2........why you so bad?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I read somewhere that the game was supposed to only have Lucia, Dante's story of revenge about his family having ended and all. However while they were making it, this changed and added Dante as well. That's why he probably speaks so little and is kinda half-assed make besides his cool outfit.

Asmodaius

I read somewhere that the game was supposed to only have Lucia, Dante's story of revenge about his family having ended and all. However while they were making it, this changed and added Dante as well. That's why he probably speaks so little and is kinda half-assed make besides his cool outfit.

I've never heard that before. And no disrespect, but I kinda doubt this is true. It sounds more like a sad excuse made up by someone after the game proved to become unpopular.

So unless you can give us a source to this statement, then I don't believe that's the case.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
No source and to be honest, I don't know if it's actually true. I just found it interesting many years ago and this thread made me remember it. It makes sense for me, but it's not weird that you think otherwise. Each to their opinion;)

Now that you mention it however it DOES sound like an excuse, haha. Not that it would change anything right now if it was true. After all these years..

Asmodaius

If they DID go through with it, making a game only with Lucia... Well, I wouldn't call it DMC then, but I sure as hell would buy it! ^^

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Haha, same here! Lucia rules. It was kinda half-assed that even though Dante and her got their own discs, it had the same stages with small differences.

Asmodaius

Yeah, they more or less did play through the same storyline, though with Lucia we got some pointers on her background story. I'm just sad Lucia hasn't shown up in any of the more recent games though, like Lady and Trish have. They might not be playable, but they are there...

DMC_Freak

Yes I'm a DMC Freak XD
I really like DMC2, yeah it was different from dmc1. Dante was better looking, controls were better ( imo), graphics were ok maybe slightly better. The bad thing was dantes attitude. He became really serious all of sudden...and lucia....never liked her. Why couldnt we choose trish or lady instead?(I know lady wasnt created at that time as she is from dmc3, but trish was available). Other than that, I thought DMC2 was awesome !

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
What really annoyed me in the game is how you didn't how to perform each of Dante's/Lucia's attacks. I loved how in the other games they took the time to create a place where you can view to perform each move:p

As for Lucia, she definitely needs more screentime. She was using my favorite fighting style of two-swords. She probably is thought of (by Capcom) as one of the reasons DMC2 didn't sell or something. Hopefully they'd think better soon..

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
I've never heard that before. And no disrespect, but I kinda doubt this is true. It sounds more like a sad excuse made up by someone after the game proved to become unpopular.

So unless you can give us a source to this statement, then I don't believe that's the case.
*cough* CAPCOM!! *cough cough*

Dante47

All sequels are experimental, the ones that are good are only good by luck. DMC2 was good by sequel standards. But without DMC2, DMC3 wouldn't have been as good as it was.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
To be fair it wasn't that bad. It was however very different (in both story and gameplay) than the original, which probably left the fans of the first game a bit perplexed/annoyed/wtf-ed. XD

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
i think DMC2 was exactly what capcom wanted it to be; bigger, more epic; and new stylish moves. Granted the level design made it feel way larger than any of the other games and it still had a very ominous feel to them, but it left the camera completely out of place, especially for a hack and slash. It had CGI moments that made Dante look as bada$$ as he does in dmc4 but in dmc2 he looked way cooler overall. And then it introduced crazy moves, which were inspired by "the matrix" and at the time, wall running, REAL dual wielding, and a new combo move set was innovating to me. Everything about it should of been brilliant but the plot, and dante not really talking too much (which didnt bother me because we was the Legend now, what bothered me was the stupid coin thing, but it was cool that both sides were the same and he was playing her all along) and it was way too easy. You shouldnt be able to kill everything with guns.......

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
i think DMC2 was exactly what capcom wanted it to be; bigger, more epic; and new stylish moves.

Exactly! That's what I always thought!

Granted the level design made it feel way larger than any of the other games and it still had a very ominous feel to them, but it left the camera completely out of place, especially for a hack and slash.

The areas were kept at night or dawn to keep ominous-ness which I felt DMC was good at. Camera wasn't as good tohugh, felt more like a Final Fantasy game then a DMC game to me.

It had CGI moments that made Dante look as bada$$ as he does in dmc4 but in dmc2 he looked way cooler overall.

I noticed that. Like the cutscene when he fights that giant demon coming out of the building, and he looked at it, that was cool, but the graphics didn't look so well for him in regular cutscenes though. He just looked way too old for someone to still be doing this stuff. But Dante is Dante.

And then it introduced crazy moves, which were inspired by "the matrix" and at the time, wall running, REAL dual wielding, and a new combo move set was innovating to me.

That's one of the reasons I still have DMC2 now. It had superior wall running and acrobatics.

Everything about it should of been brilliant but the plot, and dante not really talking too much (which didnt bother me because we was the Legend now, what bothered me was the stupid coin thing, but it was cool that both sides were the same and he was playing her all along) and it was way too easy. You shouldnt be able to kill everything with guns.......

That's what I thought as well. Dante can be serious but at least he should crack one joke or two, but he still handled buisness. Like the final battle cutscene where he appears behind that fire guy/girl and shot it with that cocky smile. But it ends with him suddenly on his motorcycle riding to hell. That's seems...odd.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
That's what I thought as well. Dante can be serious but at least he should crack one joke or two, but he still handled buisness. Like the final battle cutscene where he appears behind that fire guy/girl and shot it with that cocky smile. But it ends with him suddenly on his motorcycle riding to hell. That's seems...odd.
Thats why i believe the story wasn't really about Dante, it was about Lucia. I think Lucia story was longer and had more puzzles (or maybe i was just lost more when i played her story) and she has the superior fighting style and her DT looks godess-like. I've on this forum that Lucias DT is actually some kind of bird like creature or angle. i cant think of it atm though

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thats why i believe the story wasn't really about Dante, it was about Lucia. I think Lucia story was longer and had more puzzles (or maybe i was just lost more when i played her story) and she has the superior fighting style and her DT looks godess-like. I've on this forum that Lucias DT is actually some kind of bird like creature or angle. i cant think of it atm though

Odd that you'd say that, considering Dante had 18 missions and Lucia had 13, Dante had 20 secret rooms per playthrough, totaling 60, and Lucia had 10 per playthrough, totaling 30.

And yes, her DT is very angelic. She looks like a bird-like creature, and has bird wings. The only human-ish part of her is her face, which is covered in black bandages with one glowing blue eye showing.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Odd that you'd say that, considering Dante had 18 missions and Lucia had 13, Dante had 20 secret rooms per playthrough, totaling 60, and Lucia had 10 per playthrough, totaling 30.

And yes, her DT is very angelic. She looks like a bird-like creature, and has bird wings. The only human-ish part of her is her face, which is covered in black bandages with one glowing blue eye showing.
There may be more missions for Dante, but Lucia had more of a variety of gameplay. And if Dante wasn't in the story, It really wouldn't have a huge difference. But if Lucia wasn't in the story, all the drama and dialog would be absent.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
There may be more missions for Dante, but Lucia had more of a variety of gameplay. And if Dante wasn't in the story, It really wouldn't have a huge difference. But if Lucia wasn't in the story, all the drama and dialog would be absent.

Yes, you have a very good point there.

And besides, Lucia is great to stare at while she does all those acrobatic moves. She reminds me of a more serious Bayonetta.

Top Bottom