• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 1 coming to the Switch (And now 2, as well (and 3, if you hadn’t guessed))

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not a joke. Not sure why only 1 but being my favorite in the series I have no complains about having it being portable. Control layout will take some getting used to, though.

DMCS.png

Last edited:

tehrugger

Banned
I've played DMC1 numerous times and don't really have any desire to play it again. But, I haven't turned on my Switch in 6 months, so I guess I'll get this.

The Switch's library must be 90% ports...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Now current generation players will understand why fixed camera is abolished by playing this game.
You make it sound like DMC1, REmake 1, OniMusha, Republique, White Night, WRoEF and Brothers were never released on the PS4, XB1 or PC. Besides, the idea and practice, in it of itself, is nothing bad, it's just not been implemented broadly since back in the day, but when need be, and done right, it's a great way to build atmosphere or to free up the R stick, if you need it for something else.

Goldsickle

Besides, the idea and practice, in it of itself, is nothing bad, it's just not been implemented broadly since back in the day, but when need be, and done right, it's a great way to build atmosphere or to free up the R stick, if you need it for something else.
It's only acceptable if it's in a place with no enemies.
Combat + fixed "cinematic" camera is a bad mix.

I was still somewhat okay with fixed camera until I played more first person games like Deus Ex, Dishonored and Prey.
Being prompted to fully utilize the camera and explore all nook and crannies gave more depth and actual "exploration" in the game.
Fixed camera waters down the exploration aspect.
For example, the bookshelf puzzle in RE2 is spoiled because there are two "cinematic" angles that made the solution very obvious.
Had you entered the library in over-the-shoulder or first person, you'd have to actually observe the surroundings to get the connection between the bookshelf and the moving panel.

"Atmosphere" is something that can be achieved with other factors, like lighting, graphics, art direction and sound.
Skewing the camera waters down and ruins other aspects, such as level design, puzzle design and enemy design.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
The God of War series is the profe that fixed camera can be used in combat and exploration whitout giving any problem and also give an atmosphere that the manual camera can't, like scene were you see think happening in the background that only fixed camera can give you in that way

Goldsickle

The God of War series is the profe that fixed camera can be used in combat and exploration whitout giving any problem and also give an atmosphere that the manual camera can't,
Sure, it's possible to make a game playable in fixed camera but whatever fixed camera can do, a free camera can do so much more.
Enemy design, stage design and puzzle design can be expanded.
Whatever is done for fixed camera is limited.

Like if you want players to look up and down to look for keys under a grate or passwords written on the ceiling, you can't do that, since there's no way to look up or down manually.
You will need a cinematic camera angle that shows this to the players for it to be fair.
Some camera angles also makes certain things stand out too much, like the valve handle slot, the fireplace painting or the manhole in the kennel in RE2.
Make things way too obvious and waters down the whole "exploration" thing.

Like Metal Gear and Resident Evil, even God Of War ditched fixed camera.
That says a lot about how the format is being abandoned.

like scene were you see think happening in the background that only fixed camera can give you in that way
Good luck convincing modern day developers to sacrifice all sorts of gameplay flexibility just so players can see a specific thing in the background.

Sure, based on how you exit the interrogation room in RE2, you may not view the Licker crashing through the mirror "the right way" but the developers aren't about to sacrifice things like manual observation and manual aiming mechanics just so you can correctly view a jump scare.
I'm more interested in how developers managed to increase the chances of you viewing events when you have a free camera that can see anywhere, like how you go down some stairs in Prey and witness an explosion outside the window, hinting you of the chaos going around in the space station you're in.
There was absolutely no need for camera skew.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm...and after I just bought the HD Collection, oh well.

Certainly an odd choice to say the least, perhaps they're testing the waters for porting 5 to the Switch?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Certainly an odd choice to say the least, perhaps they're testing the waters for porting 5 to the Switch?

Why odd? Considering the Switch's hardware limitations, it's probably the safer bet.

Also I doubt 5 would run decently on the Switch. If they don't do major downgrades, at least. And I don't know how that would work when the game relies on high poly count to build realistically scanned faces.

Goldsickle

Also I doubt 5 would run decently on the Switch. If they don't do major downgrades, at least. And I don't know how that would work when the game relies on high poly count to build realistically scanned faces.
Character models will have lower polygons, while the cutscenes might be prerendered FMV?
I dunno how much FMV they can jam-pack into a Switch, though.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why odd? Considering the Switch's hardware limitations, it's probably the safer bet.

There are several factors in place, actually. DMC5’s staff have made several Switch related statements.
1. That before Dante would appear in Smash they wanted him to appear on the Switch, presumably in his own game.
2. That depending on how Dragon’s Dogma did on the Switch they would consider porting DMC5 to the Switch.
I made the same argument about the game running on the Switch but if they are considering it, and seeing how this is happening, it might be an actual possibility.

Hmm...and after I just bought the HD Collection, oh well.

Certainly is. Why only 1? Why not 2 & 3? I hope I’m wrong but what if this is the RE situation all over again, where they have these games, namely 1HD, 0HD and 4HD, but they’re going to charge way more for the Switch version than any of the games have been on every other platform. It’s specially odd because out of all the DMC games 1 is the one plagued by the most issues when ported to HD. The other games are fine but 1 had audio, timing, and graphical issues galore. I don’t think they’ll be able, or even willing, to fix them all for the Switch.

Vergil95

Sure, it's possible to make a game playable in fixed camera but whatever fixed camera can do, a free camera can do so much more.
Enemy design, stage design and puzzle design can be expanded.
Whatever is done for fixed camera is limited.

Like if you want players to look up and down to look for keys under a grate or passwords written on the ceiling, you can't do that, since there's no way to look up or down manually.
You will need a cinematic camera angle that shows this to the players for it to be fair.
Some camera angles also makes certain things stand out too much, like the valve handle slot, the fireplace painting or the manhole in the kennel in RE2.
Make things way too obvious and waters down the whole "exploration" thing.

Like Metal Gear and Resident Evil, even God Of War ditched fixed camera.
That says a lot about how the format is being abandoned.

Good luck convincing modern day developers to sacrifice all sorts of gameplay flexibility just so players can see a specific thing in the background.

Sure, based on how you exit the interrogation room in RE2, you may not view the Licker crashing through the mirror "the right way" but the developers aren't about to sacrifice things like manual observation and manual aiming mechanics just so you can correctly view a jump scare.
I'm more interested in how developers managed to increase the chances of you viewing events when you have a free camera that can see anywhere, like how you go down some stairs in Prey and witness an explosion outside the window, hinting you of the chaos going around in the space station you're in.
There was absolutely no need for camera skew.
I think fix camera and free camera are both good when fix camera is implemented in good way, since there are things that free camera can't do, like cinematic view or enigma that are solved via the camera like god of war 3... That's a choice if one want to use fixed or normal camera... Obviously the modern game have all free camera so developer must adact them self to sell well, but doesn't mean fixed camera is bad, if they manage to implement well can give thing that the normal camera can't

Goldsickle

since there are things that free camera can't do
If we're going to go by that logic about "what one format can do than the other", then free camera has a much larger list of things it can do than fixed camera.
I've already give some examples in previous posts.

Obviously the modern game have all free camera so developer must adact them self to sell well
It's hardly about sales but the flexibility free camera gives.
Resident Evil's Shinji Mikami ditched fixed camera out of his own free will, because he himself thought "if the camera is behind the player, it would be so much better".

Mikami said that RE0 felt "more of the same" and even producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi calls the old style RE "stuck in a cookie cutter mold" and "shackles holding us down".
People love to bring up that it's all about the sales when it comes to choosing free camera but it's really artistic freedom.

Vergil95

If we're going to go by that logic about "what one format can do than the other", then free camera has a much larger list of things it can do than fixed camera.
I've already give some examples in previous posts.

It's hardly about sales but the flexibility free camera gives.
Resident Evil's Shinji Mikami ditched fixed camera out of his own free will, because he himself thought "if the camera is behind the player, it would be so much better".

Mikami said that RE0 felt "more of the same" and even producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi calls the old style RE "stuck in a cookie cutter mold" and "shackles holding us down".
People love to bring up that it's all about the sales when it comes to choosing free camera but it's really artistic freedom.
I didn't say that fixed camera is better Than free camera, I just sayd that they are both good, that fix camera can do thing that free camera can't... Also first person can do things that the third person can't... Obviously there are more bad things in the fixed camera especially in game in Wich the camera change suddenly, but I think there are game like dmc 3 4, God of War series, resident evil 1 remake and 0, code veronica, crash bandicoot, in Wich the fixed camera follow the action pretty well and gives a difference experience that free camera can't, like sometimes in God of War you climb some wall and you see some cinematic shoot that the free can't do... They are just two different experience...

Goldsickle

I didn't say that fixed camera is better Than free camera, I just sayd that they are both good, that fix camera can do thing that free camera can't...
Well, I'm saying that fixed camera is worse than first person and third person (like over-the-shoulder).
Objectively.

If we stop beating around the bush and actually list down what both formats can and can't do, then you find out that fixed camera is just a big pile of flaws, which makes it clear why developers are abandoning it.
Some people can go ahead and try to say "fixed camera has its own strengths".
But when it comes to listing these "strengths", then they realize they have absolutely nothing, other than abstract nonsense about "atmosphere", or "emotion", etc.

In the 90's, fixed camera is a lifesaver for lower specs but nowadays, it has outlived its use.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
That's bad news, isn't it. From what I've heard the DMC1 in the HD collection has worse audio and visual effects than the original. I remember seeing a video about it too.

Goldsickle

I wonder if the missing distortion effect was carried over too.

It's like all they ever did for HD ports is to just repeat the same mistakes over and over.
Every HD remaster of Final Fantasy games with turn-based battles will not continue the field BGM where it left off.
It just starts all over after a battle ends.

Top Bottom