• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DANTE; protagonist, half-devil, hypocrite, maniac. (and some other stuff)

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
In DMC3 he does not show anger neither finishes most bosses out of nothing. Cerberus became a devil arm recognizing Dante's superiority in battle, Geryon stops for a momment and gives Dante his powers, he takes Agni & Rudra with him, the doppelganger is assimilated by him too, Nevan only gets finished because she tries a cheap trick, they (Dante and Vergil) don't even kills Arkham that makes the whole mess even more messed up, the one who kills Arkham is Lady.

I don't know why people try to make Dante look "immoral". People try too hard to do this, the same with Vergil.

Oh, and by the way, "DMC1 Dante" (>implying that they really are different characters) finishes most bosses he fights along the game. This includes Phantom, Nelo Angelo and Nightmare.
I actually always assumed the Phantom thing was an accident. No way Dante could have predicted he would fall on that spike lol. But yeah agreed for the most part.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Oh, and by the way, "DMC1 Dante" (>implying that they really are different characters) finishes most bosses he fights along the game. This includes Phantom, Nelo Angelo and Nightmare.

1. They are different characters, the novel alone proves that.

2. Except the glass breaking causes Phantom to die via impalement, Nero Angelo explodes for an unknown reason, and Nightmare's core goes outta control.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Your the one trying to say they are different characters.

I give proof (which should really be obvious) that they are all considered the same character and you simply "don't care".

Lets not act like immature 10 year olds please.

Lets not whine over someone else's opinion. You didn't really prove anything.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Lets not whine over someone else's opinion. You didn't really prove anything.

Your definition on "whining" must be different than everyone else's.

And whatever, done with this conversation, its obvious what type of poster you are and it will not be possible to have a real discussion with you, so have fun.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I'm trying to read the opening post and I am very lost. What is the point again? That Dante is a hypocrite?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I'm guessing I'm being a necromancer now, but anyway...In DMC1 novel, Dante sees demons crying and even thinks for himself" Are they crying?", but he kills them anyway.So he does not care too much about if they cry or not.
He has a password nobody knows: imagine someone has an emergency and needs help, but doesn't know the password , so that person is condemned to die.Quite silly...
I understand your concept of judge, but he judges them under what law? His laws? But not even he respects what he preaches, how can convince the others to follow it?DMC media shows that too.
He hunts demons for revenge and money, he doesn't care too much about humans, he even kills them if he feels too, so...Just check anime and DMC4: he's more for the money than for protection, he just doesn't want to be seen in a bad light by humans.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm guessing I'm being a necromancer now, but anyway...In DMC1 novel, Dante sees demons crying and even thinks for himself" Are they crying?", but he kills them anyway.So he does not care too much about if they cry or not.

I think the whole "crying" thing is being taken too literally, here. I think it comes down to, "Are they showing true remorse, or is that just fear that they're reaping what they've sown?"

He has a password nobody knows: imagine someone has an emergency and needs help, but doesn't know the password , so that person is condemned to die. Quite silly...

I imagine if someone has a problem of that particular nature, they seek out someone who can help them (such as any agent throwing jobs Dante's way, like Enzo or Morrison) and they direct said client to Dante. That being said, I think the password thing is riddled with inconsistencies. People also just walked right into his shop and won his services. He may play it off like he doesn't care from time to time, but it's obvious that he does. Example, in the anime episode 8, "Wishes Come True". When the woman with pigtails showed up, he claimed he wasn't interested...but he took on the job, anyway, and once completed, you could tell he was happy he'd done the right thing.

I understand your concept of judge, but he judges them under what law? His laws? But not even he respects what he preaches, how can convince the others to follow it? DMC media shows that too.

Not just "his" laws. More than likely the same principles Sparda himself worked under. Examples?

He hunts demons for revenge and money, he doesn't care too much about humans, he even kills them if he feels too, so...Just check anime and DMC4: he's more for the money than for protection, he just doesn't want to be seen in a bad light by humans.

Or, the reverse could be true. Just because he comes off as cold and indifferent, doesn't mean he is. In the novel he may have killed humans, but lamented having to do it, only doing it when necessary. Besides, the novel is not necessarily considered "canon". Beyond that, Dante hasn't killed humans in the games.

All of what has been said is pure conjecture. You assume he doesn't care, but the evidence suggests quite the opposite. When it comes to his indifferent attitude, think about the horrors he's been witness to, a part of. Wouldn't that make anyone jaded for awhile, until they find themselves again? Also, when it comes to his attitude with Lady in DMC4, it could just be that he's messing with her. Chances are, he was interested in the job before Trish took off with the "Sparda" sword. Just saying, it's all a matter of perspective.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Denver was a guy who pursued Dante in novel, but Dante, instead of killing Denver and finish off the troubles he caused, he killed all Denver's men, 99 times.Why he does that?Why couldn't he solve the situation in a merciful way?Whatever, but nobody can't say Dante doesn't kill humans and Anime is quite based in DMC1 novel.
Supposedly Dante follows Sparda's rules,but what rules? That is the question.Apparently he doesn't know his father very well.What he knows he learnt from others and it seems he is not too fond of his father.DMC1 says he becomes a mercenary to get revenge for his mother, not because of his father's doings, unless other media says otherwise.
In episode 8 of anime Dante was " forced" by Patty too.In fact most of the time he just does anything if "forced" by Patty, Morrison or Lady.Rarely he does that just because.
If Trish didn't take Sparda with her, he probably wouldn't do anything.In fact, the impression I got from the scene was Dante called Trish to put Lady out of the office.Trish is the only person Dante seems to respect and handle with care.To all the others he acts as a jerk most of the time, even with the mild mannered Morrison.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
he is a hypocrite, he says demons who saved his life like are trish are human because they can cry, i understand the symbolism, but if you think about it, being able to cry doesn't make you good, think of the worst human you possibly can, do they have the ability to cry? unless they are not human (in which case you're cheating) or have some serious issues, the answer is most certainly yes. even further, what's the say the other demons of the series can't cry? Dante rarely ever meets them outside a battle context and Dante never cries in battle because it's random and stupid, yet the demons don't have a mental breakdown in battle because he's gonna chop their heads off if they do.

I think you're missing the point just a bit. Demon's crying isn't about their capability to leak from their eyes, it's about feeling remorse for actions, pangs of guilt, sorrow, and a above all else empathy. Having a conscience is what makes up the best qualities of humanity in DMC, because it makes us think and care for others, and this is something that normally demons lack.

seraphmaycry

i don't quite know what i was thinking when i created this thread, dante is not perfect, but i was hilariously wrong (i'm still saving the demons have society thing though, i think it works)

could i please have this thread shut down?

berto

I Saw the Devil
He has a password nobody knows: imagine someone has an emergency and needs help, but doesn't know the password , so that person is condemned to die.Quite silly...
We've discussed the password before and I stipulated that the password was 'Your enemies are devils' which is from the second novel, a reference to Lincoln's quote 'Your enemies are devils incarnate.'

Another part of my stipulation was that the actual password was the word 'devils,' that if the person on the other line said the word it meant his kind of business and not other unrelated work.

I think you're missing the point just a bit. Demon's crying isn't about their capability to leak from their eyes, it's about feeling remorse for actions, pangs of guilt, sorrow, and a above all else empathy. Having a conscience is what makes up the best qualities of humanity in DMC, because it makes us think and care for others, and this is something that normally demons lack.
To add to this i think the cogitation of been able to cry for others and not oneself is the big one, empathy.

It's a bit ironic that he claims that devils never cry since Dante has been called the man who made the devil cry (or devils).

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So, less of a "password" and more like a key word? Iiiiinteresting. That actually makes a lot more sense than Dante requiring like an entire phrase; just hearing what the trouble is seems more logical.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, I'd venture to guess it was a Japanese thing, his business isn't a shop but he calls it one, which is technically true but not quite the popular use of the word shop. Same with password, it's still the proper use but not how most people would use it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, oftentimes when I think of someone waiting to here password, I sorta expect a phrase, like "Open sesame". It makes a lot more sense that Dante is just waiting to hear that right word that piques his interest, in a conversation, rather than "Hello, Devil May Cry. What's the password?"

Top Bottom