• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante and Raiden... DmC and MGR... Why choose?

ZeroLove

Now, I am not trying to start a flaming sh*tstorm here, so please keep the discussion decent, respect eachothers opinions and have a good time. ^^

Anyways, I am a fan of Devil May Cry (the original series) and Dante and have been so for a very long time. I think the upcoming DmC and the new Dante looks awesome.

I have never been a big fan of the Metal Gear series, but one character stood out for me and I fell for him immediately... Raiden. I played MGS 2 and thought it was cool, a friend of mine has played through the other MGS games with me watching, but I am more a hack'n slash and fighting gamer than a spy and shooter gamer, so the general gameplay in the MGS series isn't for me. However, I got interested in the story which I think is rather cool and I think Raiden was awesome in MGS4. And now he is getting his own game which is alot more up in my alley, being a hack'n slasher and all.

However, for some reason, people on the internet sounds like we have to choose between the two. But... why? It's reminds me of the discussions about we as DMC fans have to choose between the new Dante and the old Dante, at least according to some people. I'm not going to choose though. I am getting both games and I am going to play them both.

The only logical reason I can see for people having to choose is economical reasons, not being able to afford buying both games... but that doesn't mean they have to love one of them and then hate the other. So could someone explain to me why there are people who think we have to choose between the two? What are your opinions on the matter?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Some people have inexplicably decided that MGR has more in common with DMC than DmC does (probably based on platinum games' involvement in MGR) and are treating it as the new DMC making the choice to buy MGR somehow the equivalent of choosing DMC over DmC.

ZeroLove

Some people have inexplicably decided that MGR has more in common with DMC than DmC does (probably based on platinum games' involvement in MGR) and are treating it as the new DMC making the choice to buy MGR somehow the equivalent of choosing DMC over DmC.

... Which makes no sense, since there are ALOT more differences between DMC and MGR than DMC and DmC. Both gameplay and design wise.

DarkSlayer54

There are a few similarities between Vergil and Raiden imo.
They're righting styles are very different though.

EDIT: I haven't played MGR so I'm not even going to comment on the gameplay. It looks really different from DMC.

ZeroLove

Have you guys played Playstation All-Star Battle Royale? I know it isn't the same, but we get a taste on how Raiden and new Dante plays like in that game. I prefer playing as Raiden in that game though, but he definately doesn't feel like playing as old Dante.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
... Which makes no sense, since there are ALOT more differences between DMC and MGR than DMC and DmC. Both gameplay and design wise.
I don't recall saying that it was a logical reason but as far as I can tell that seems to be the thought process behind treating the two fanbases as enemies.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
35psf0.jpg

I honestly think it's because of the fanbase they are in or the other side don't like the reboot of Devil may cry, so they stay with MGR. Then the other side don't like what platinum did to metal gear, then they stay to DmC. Honestly, i never get why these two was always on conflict. It's not like they are being release on the same time and the same month.

Is it because they are both action game? I feel like GoW Ascension is being left out here.

Domenic93

it's because we are being cautious, we don't want to risk our choice is going to kill the original dante

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
we don't want to risk our choice is going to kill the original dante

No one has said that original Dante is dead or will be dying because of DmC. DmC is just something Capcom is trying out. For all we know, Capcom will keep both DMC and DmC in production.

Besides, I have a feeling that if Capcom want to discontinue classic DMC, they will, with or without fan opinion, with or without good sales of DmC. They are a company, and companies will do what they want.

Of course, people can vote with their wallet, but even that can be ignored by companies. Bayonetta did not sell as high as expected, but they are making a sequel. I'm glad they are making another, but that's a little off topic. ^_^

Gbraga

I really don't think MGR is more DMC than DmC, MGR is a lot more like Vanquish + Bayonetta + Metal Gear + Ninja Gaiden, which is AWESOME. I do believe MGR will be the better game, but talking like it's more DMC than DmC is nonsense, even if DmC doesn't quite feel like DMC.

I'll get both for sure, just not sure about a day one purchase for MGR because they started hinting for a PC release, and I love me some PC games.

Gbraga

If they do a digital day one release for MGR I probably won't be able to resist though :3

Nekodark

I like them both, and I don't think of them as anything but what they are. I know for sure I am getting DmC on the first day but I do not think I want to Pre-order MGR but I am sure I will pick it up when I can. Hey I am a Raiden fan since I first played as him(Funny how I am always a fan of the underdog character that get bashed and such lol) but I am glad both are coming out the only reason I am getting DmC for sure first day is because I've waited so long to get into the story line while I hardly followed MGR ever since it was announced but still made note on it while time went by.

Only problem I will have with the games is which console I want it on..leaning towards the PS3 for both games. lol

ZeroLove

I don't really get it though... If people are afraid that Capcom will stop making games with the original Dante, then how would it help to support an entire different franchise that has nothing to do with DMC? It makes absolutely no sense at all. If DmC ends up failing, Capcom might as well close down the whole franchise so we won't ever see anything Devil May Cry or Dante related stuff ever again...

Though, I know some people would rather have no DMC or Dante at all than to support the new DmC. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Xamalo Noel

well, I will play both, I'm a big fan of the MGS series, and of the DMC series, you could say i'm reaaaally open minded(or too open minded...), for me thes two games are really different, the only thing in comon is thta they both are a hack n' slash games.

ZeroLove

well, I will play both, I'm a big fan of the MGS series, and of the DMC series, you could say i'm reaaaally open minded(or too open minded...), for me thes two games are really different, the only thing in comon is thta they both are a hack n' slash games.

I know what you mean. To me, MGR is as different from DmC as God of War is. They all derive from the same genre, but all in all they have little in common in design.

Xamalo Noel

I know what you mean. To me, MGR is as different from DmC as God of War is. They all derive from the same genre, but all in all they have little in common in design.

Yeah, agree with that o/

I don't really get it though... If people are afraid that Capcom will stop making games with the original Dante, then how would it help to support an entire different franchise that has nothing to do with DMC? It makes absolutely no sense at all. If DmC ends up failing, Capcom might as well close down the whole franchise so we won't ever see anything Devil May Cry or Dante related stuff ever again...

Though, I know some people would rather have no DMC or Dante at all than to support the new DmC. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I think that they are afraid that this new dante will be good, that somehow this new dante will replace the old dante, but it's rubish, thta will never happen, still they are afraid of that happening.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami

I don't think that any of them actually think that supporting MGR will help DMC. They just want to avoid DmC but still have something they consider to be equivalent to DMC. Their end goal is for DmC to fail and Capcom to make DMC5 (or end the franchise). MGR is just a temporary substitute. they will probably be very disappointed when they realize that it doesn't play like DMC (which will probably take a lot longer than it does for reasonable people to figure it out)

Top Bottom