• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante’s Trailer

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Don't reply to this.
Not sure who you talkin' to...?
No, we aren't. The next section where you talk about Temen-ni-gru proves this, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making.
I'm going to say this one more time: Yes, we were. And yes, the point was relevant.
Please pay attention to the context of the conversation before you chime in.
I don't have to. I already know what the discussion was about before you open your mouth. You see, my mind works in ways you couldn't begin to understand. Okay? So, don't ever doubt my way of discussions. I always post with my mind already understood, locked and loaded before I even type. Your next comment contradicts your entire post, and a little bit of your entire argument. So, sit where you are, absorb the information you've just learned, and apply it.
Given that each game is indeed segmented up into missions which often cut the player off from other sections of the map, block their progress, or even alter the map directly as in the later parts of DMC3, shouldn't you drop the "Open" from "Open World Action Game"?
But before I address this completely later, I'll start with the following...
When I was talking about the size of the levels, that had nothing to do with the total area you could explore, the whole of the gameworld, or how open and interconnected everything was. I was speaking specifically about the size of the areas you fight in directly, because that is the only thing relevant to the notion of forced style switching. The topic was about Trickster helping you get around in a fight and that this is incentivized if rooms are large and open and not so if they're smaller. Nothing you're talking about is connected to that, because Trickster is practically worthless for your actual traversal around the levels.
Devil May Cry has been Open World since day one. Even the open "arena" style fight areas, and boss battles were designed for two things, and it goes hand-in-hand with the rest of the "gameworld." To give you breathing room, to give you total control, to give you freedom, to give you choice. The style switch system was not readily available from day one, DMC3/SE fixed this. 90% of the older games below DMC3/SE you had to either pause the game to change weapons, or wait until the divinity statues. Now, this is still limited to an extent; you can't freely switch to any other weapons other than the 2 you have "equipped." However, the style switch system was designed to give you freedom, to give you a choice on what style you want to use. Okay, so you think that Trickster is worthless for actual traversal around the "levels." That's called an opinion, and not FACT. Some players may use Trickster better than you, and feel that Trickster benefits you in your quest. And I am one of them. I use Trickster for a lot of things. It has helped me get myself out of a bind in a battle or battles in DMC3. It also helped me traverse quicker in "levels" (ahem, missions. Ya know, chapters in a story? That.) It is incentivized in large or small rooms. I don't know where you got the idea that they don't. They do. That's the whole game design of DMC since day one. It was harder to escape deaths in DMC1. I'm not even going to discuss DMC2, because the game holds your hands so much. DMC3? They actually fixed this.

From DMC3/SE on, this has been their formula. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

And now, I'm going back into the second part of your discussion: The fact that you keep thinking that just because the game(s) are segmented into missions means that you are "cut off" from the rest of the game as you go along. This is false. Later levels, you may be right, but in 70% of the missions of DMC3, you can go to the beginning of the game - where you started - and backtrack. I even stated this. You completely ignored this part of my entire point. You notice the fire door as you get into the tower? That's unlocked later in the game. You have to go all the way up to a certain mission to do it, and you'll have to backtrack DOWN to that area. And you even have to traverse between this tower, and the other broken off area of the game.

So again: Open World Action Game. Since day. one.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
You know, I really can’t fathom what goes on in some people’s heads - @Carlos @Veloran - You get told to drop a subject you’re arguing about, and despite my warning and another member’s warning you both decided to carry on onto another page.

This is NOT a topic about Devil May Cry being open-world or otherwise, it is a topic about Dante’s trailer for Devil May Cry 5.

Before going ahead and derailing a thread you should both think about your actions and a more appropriate thing for one of you to have done would’ve been to make another thread in the DMC General Discussion section to continue your conversation there. Anywhere other than somewhere where it is definitely not needed.

You can count this as your warning. Please don’t do it again or I will apply an actual warning to your profiles.

Thanks.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
You know, I really can’t fathom what goes on in some people’s heads. You get told to drop a subject you’re arguing about, and despite my warning and another member’s warning you both decided to carry on onto another page.

This is NOT a topic about Devil May Cry being open-world or otherwise, it is a topic about Dante’s trailer for Devil May Cry 5.

Before going ahead and derailing a thread you should both think about your actions and a more appropriate thing for one of you to have done would’ve been to make another thread in the DMC General Discussion section to continue your conversation there. Anywhere other than somewhere where it is definitely not needed.

You can count this as your warning. Please don’t do it again or I will apply an actual warning to your profiles.

Thanks.
If I may, offer a suggestion...? You're a moderator, you should see checkbox on the lower left corner of each post. Click the posts that are derailing the thread. Move it to a new thread, edit the thread title... Once that's done, lock it. Let it go into obscurity. I do this ALL the time when people derail a thread. That way, the original thread can "carry on" without interruption.

I apologize to you, and everyone else.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Carlos - It’s more our job to move accidental posts to the correct threads than it is to move people’s posts to other existing threads at our own leisure. It’s up to the members of this community to post inside threads and keep almost to that subject’s nature, than to derail and go completely off course.

There are so many different threads and posts that if we were to take the time to move all the ones that we deemed to be unnecessary where they already were then that would be incredibly time consuming. We advise people exercise a little restraint before posting within threads if they themselves are creating or aiding to its derailment.

We’re not discouraging the odd off-topic remark here and there, just in circumstances where a certain topic’s point seems to be overrun and turned into something completely different. I personally would advise anyone to create a new thread to continue the discussion as an oppose to moving posts into different threads that already exist as explained above.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I accept your apology. But for now, let’s leave it as it is and say nothing further on the subject. Anymore about this and we will just continue to veer further from the point than we already have.

Top Bottom