• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Could this have worked?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Ironically NT should have used his Tony Redgrave phase- where he was an amnesiac mercenary and build out from there. Fans have written fanfiction where Dante has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and Tony is one of his alters so that could have been interesting.

Just a thought.... @DragonMaster2010 @absolitude @Ash

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ironically NT should have used his Tony Redgrave phase- where he was an amnesiac mercenary and build out from there. Fans have written fanfiction where Dante has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and Tony is one of his alters so that could have been interesting.

Just a thought.... @DragonMaster2010 @absolitude @Ash
The problem with that is it's STILL associated with Dante's character, and fans get real bitchy when Dante is besmirched in any way. Ironic considering he got majorly besmirched from the anime onward as a lazy, beta-male dude who gets constantly bullied by women and is always broke.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The problem with that is it's STILL associated with Dante's character, and fans get real bitchy when Dante is besmirched in any way. Ironic considering he got majorly besmirched from the anime onward as a lazy, beta-male dude who gets constantly bullied by women and is always broke.
True but the Tony Redgrave stuff was canon so it could be used as a buffer.

Ya know "DmC is different but we do know where we've been".

DmC didn't really have that to me. Or Nt/Capcom wasn't good at showing that.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
wasn't it initially meant as sumthin like that? the amnesiac and disorder part i meant.. honestly i know nothing bout the whole Tony Redgrave thing

like that was a whole different character than the one we got.. i think it could work better

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
wasn't it initially meant as sumthin like that? the amnesiac and disorder part i meant.. honestly i know nothing bout the whole Tony Redgrave thing

like that was a whole different character than the one we got.. i think it could work better
TGS10 Dante looked like he suffered from PTSD but that's just a guess.

Tony Redgrave was Dante's initial concept when DMC1 was originally a Resident Evil game. He was a cop that was a Umbrella expirement or something like it.

The name was reused as an alias for Dante.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
huh, didn't know bout that 'connection' to resident evil, thought it was just an alias.

anyway, i truly believe it would be better received with that. that idea and the trailer would connect imo, wether PTSD or DID, he did looked lost there.

i personally dig the mental issue, probably fits the kinda serious theme like NT did with enslaved and hellblade. pretty sure NT could pull it.

and making a more serious/contrast take from a light hearted something is much more acceptable than the other way around. and much more acceptable than doing a 'different' take but half-assed cuz the company don't have the guts to let the studio do their own thing

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
huh, didn't know bout that 'connection' to resident evil, thought it was just an alias.

anyway, i truly believe it would be better received with that. that idea and the trailer would connect imo, wether PTSD or DID, he did looked lost there.

i personally dig the mental issue, probably fits the kinda serious theme like NT did with enslaved and hellblade. pretty sure NT could pull it.

and making a more serious/contrast take from a light hearted something is much more acceptable than the other way around. and much more acceptable than doing a 'different' take but half-assed cuz the company don't have the guts to let the studio do their own thing
Maybe you could pull some of that back in for your sequel?

Ironically the whole V is Vergil's humanity twist from 5 made me think DmC Dante could have worked better if they stuck with it or thought it through more.

Granted maybe giving Dante a mental illness could be considered tackless?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020

I think that's where TGS10 trailer was going... You can see it in the current iteration of DmC: Devil May Cry (original and SE), where there are times you're like confused as to what's real, and what's not, but instead of treating it as like PSTD, or a disorder like the OP's idea of DID. Dante in DmC - he's a different person, and Vergil acts like a different person. I don't know, something about their character seems off. Don't get me wrong, I like Dante in DmC, but even then, their tones seem a little out there, if you know what I mean. So, yeah, it kinda did work. The script of DmC, from my observation didn't really change, it's the graphics that changed. What you're seeing is the original script, minus the prison ideology.

The soda drink in DmC is also a clue; it's the game's drug. So, if anyone drinks the soda, you become stupid - a zombie. Dante even noticed it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I don't think it could have worked personally, but that is just me. I know some people were hoping for a Tony Regrave game where Dante was in that persona, but it was jossed by Capcom and NT. Me personally, they should have done a legit DMC spin off with either Nero or completely different group of Devil Hunters with occasional allusions or mentions of Dante in the background.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@BrawlMan
No worries bro, it's all hypothetical anyway. I agree with your suggestion tho, a spinoff with a different lead would've ideal. I'd prefer Lady get one over Nero because you could switch genres more easily.

She could do stealth, horror, third-person shooter as well as an open world and it wouldn't be jarring.

Someone completely new would have been interesting. Plus if they don't work you could just never use them again ;).

Judge

I have started playing DmC after a few years on the shelf. I am really enjoying it, in a different way than how I enjoyed it the first time. I think whatever name they used or whatever they tried to do it would have still ended the same way.

As I'm playing through DmC now, I think the story and the characters are fine. No, the story is not the industry high watermark Hellblade was. but thats where Ninja Theory listened to much to criticism they didn't make it as dense or as dark as they wanted, like what they did with Hellblade.

The gameplay on the otherhand is phenominal. They interplay between all your weapons, they fluidity of it all is unlike anything else even know. Where the gameplay falls down is that there's not that many moves, there was oppertunity for so many more moves, and I feel Dante's devil trigger is poor.

They should not have listened to much to the fans about white hair and red coat and just made it their own. It feels like a game that coulnd't reach its full potential because too much pandering to fans who were never going to accept it anyway. I feel if they truly made it their own game it could have reached the high 9s and 10s to give it a deeper market penetration.

Hungry Alien

I think DmC has an overall good story, but I'm always bothered by something while thinking about it. The characters are the primary problem for DmC imo.

Dante starts as a brat who doesn't care about anything but himself, and is given his memories back by Vergil in his former house. Then he join the Order to fight and kill Mundus for taking his mother's life. But I never feel like he truly change in the story until the very end. There is little interaction between humans and Dante, and when he interacts, he look like a douch (the scene where he slap a man's can on the streets for example). In the final battle with Vergil, he suddently state that he will protect humanity, but we never get to see any change before that. The talks with Kat are always about her or Dante, and Vergil rarely discuss about humanity with Dante. So having suddently Dante claiming he will protect humanity is kinda unearned for him. Having a scene where Dante is critically wounded during a fight, then rescued by a group of humans, have some time with then while recovering and listen to them could have developped him. Also, having the group composed of teens sended into a demonic asylum to break their will could have resonated with Dante himself, giving him sympathy for humans.

Vergil could have been interesting with the mentality of "anything to earn victory". He doesn't seems bothered when sending his brother on dangerous mission, is willing to let Kat die to protect himself and Dante, and even his own men are below the information he have in his headquarter. He is even willing to shoot a pregnant woman in the back. But the main issue with him is that he never show his power before the final battle, and is never seen as a force to be reckoned with. During the assault on the Order headquarter, he never fight and is hiding behind a barrier. He mostly guide Dante in Mundus lair, and during the fight with Mundus, his main contribution is to slam door because the player can't. He then get sucked in Mundus avatar and is saved by Dante. All of this only make him look like someone who can't hold his ground during a fight. So when he step forward against Dante, I was mostly like "so can you actually do something alone ?". Vergil should have defended the headquarter in a subtle way, like killing demons without being seen or laying traps all around the installation. Also, during Dante's mission, the doppelganger should have been used to help Dante. Like Dante bump into a dead end and can't go forward, then having a way open and the doppelganger standing in the background just a second before disapearing, or having glimpse of it during mission to show that something got your back, then having the reveal that it was Vergil helping Dante during the last fight. The DLC does a nice job of turning him into a villain and developping his character, but I'm disappointed that the only boss fight is Vergil 2.0 and not Dante.

For Kat, she was the human supposed to change Dante, but she disappear in the background after the first mission and is only here to open portal and tell the sad story of her past all of a sudden. I never felt a connexion between her and Dante. Only Dante forcing Vergil to go and save her. Her powers as a witch are cool, but kinda underused.

For the demon boss, they are mostly generic big bad demons. The monkey is ok as an introduction, even if the fight is slowed down by the knife parts which take forever and seems kinda pointless.
The succubus is a big letdown, another generic boss with no gimmicks or anything plus having the worst prefight talk of the game. Why not have her start as a beautifull woman and have the fight start in an huge beautifull arena only to revert to the arena we got when the succubus take too much hit and can't maintain the illusion ?
Bob Barbas is the only one with a nice gimmick. Having Dante sucked into the new's video fighting demons while Bob is cool and fit well in the fight. Plus Bob is introduced early in the game and presented as Mundus's puppet and a jerk leading the media, so it feel nice to punch his face.
Lilith is ok, the gimmick fit nicely, but the fight is kinda generic. Maybe having Lilith be more of a punishing mother toward her son and putting him in a frenzy during the end of the fight could have fit.
Mundus is the most disapointing fight of the game. He is presented as the big bad villain doing bad things and having godlike powers, but when the fight starts, he turned into a big pile of s*** and become the easiest boss in the game. Just why ? Why not have a second phase where Dante jump into Mundus avatar and fight the real Mundus in an epic battle alongside Vergil ? Another good idee would have the avatar chase you into Limbo during missions. Like when Dante stay into Limbo for too long, Mundus can sense him and chase after him. It would have gave him a presence during the whole game and showed that his sight extend far beyond.

For the rest, the game is really good. The gameplay is excellent, the Limbo are a really cool concept and well used during the game. Generic enemies are nice to fight in the Definitive Edition (the color based enemies in the base game are such a pain...). It's just sad that NT didn't get to show their vision for the serie because of the crappy part of the fandom and Capcom pushing their back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
It's just sad that NT didn't get to show their vision for the series because of the crappy part of the fandom and Capcom pushing their back.

Don't forget that NT is not exactly innocent in this scenario either. Tameem and his team could not keep their mouths shut and were belittling and insulting all parts of the fan base. That includes the sane and sensible ones that had legit concerns, criticisms, or grievances. The gaming media encouraging bad behavior is beyond reprehensible, yet these same "journalists" expect all gamers not to act like assholes. While making jokes about "how fans only dislike new Dante cuz hair color, lol! And nothing else!" Capcom was enabling them, by not stepping in for the most part. This is a lesson the gaming industry still has not learn yet: Don't insult your target audience! Everyone paid for it. Ninja Theory could not find any work (due to being in hot fire for handling the situation) with other publishers, and had to be bought by Microsoft. DMC fans would not get a legit sequel to the original continuity until 2019. Capcom would be in a continuing dork age for most of the remaining decade, though their decay started in 2009 if we're being honest.

Your other points remain true, and have better ideas than what NT could come up with, but it's known I don't like story, nor do I find it good.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Hungry Alien I agree with your suggestions and think an open world game design to DmC would've helped as well. It would help the slow burn/step by step nature of Dante's character arc. Granted I'm not sure how they would've handled the world post kidnapping but that's why i don't get paid the big bucks.

I also wished they did something more with Dante's angel heritage. That's too big a bombshell to just drop without some kind of a followup.

I agree with @BrawlMan about the media coverage. Even as someone who wanted DmC to succeed, i felt that they were hyping the game too much or a bit too smug about it.

I didn't think NT insulted the fans but that could be a perception issue. I was a fan since the first trailer so I've seen a lot of vitriol towards them. Which is why most journalists took their side over the fans to me.

I would say NT and Capcom weren't good at convincing you why DmC needed to be, benefited the series or why you should give it a shot.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
@Hungry Alien I agree with your suggestions and think an open world game design to DmC would've helped as well. It would help the slow burn/step by step nature of Dante's character arc. Granted I'm not sure how they would've handled the world post kidnapping but that's why i don't get paid the big bucks.

I also wished they did something more with Dante's angel heritage. That's too big a bombshell to just drop without some kind of a followup.

They wouldn't. Open world games tend to have a particular narrative in which events can't heavily affect the world up until say the last stretch of the game (and if it is it doesn't last long and things return to normal soon after some scripted sequence) or the narrative is very open so it doesn't impede on the open world structure of it. They can always pull a FF15 and start off open world only to half way say f*ck it and become linear.

Not only that making Open world games aren't cheap and having to craft a meticulous combat system with the sheer amount of depth and options and multi layered enemy and boss design as the Devil May Cry series is also probably expensive in their own right. Not only that the appeal and draw of these types of games are there replay value, higher difficulty settings due to how enemies and bosses as well as mechanics are rebalanced, their very easy to pick up and get straight into the action, get better scores, and arcadey like structure. Open world completely clashes with that philosophy. And lastly would be insanely expensive to make and DMC as a franchise isn't popular enough yet to afford that. If you can name me an Open World game with combat at DMC level then go ahead.....well Astral Chain is a close enough example although its combat isn't as deep, its story is pretty trash, and its not really full open world.

And lastly the best open world games are designed from the ground up to be an Open World game. Taking an action game that is designed to be arcade like in its structure and just making it open world for the sake of it being open world will result in clashing design principles and will alienate more fans because they're getting less of what they're used to and want and not really have a good open world game either. Honestly Astral Chain sort of proves my point actually lol.

Maybe a Hub area like approach could work and I'm only saying that because that is what the DMC mobile game is doing and its story is structured around that...and its an ongoing mobile game that gets constant updates so probably not then.

Also honestly I think the whole angel and Nephilim thing is pretty tacked on and is only there to justify reusing Heavenly Sword's light and heavy stance mechanic now called Angel and Demon mode. You can take out the the demon-angel hybrid race and replace them with demon-human hybrids like in the original series (the whole mixing of 2 races creates a superior hybrid that can rival the demon king) and nothing will change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom