• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Could Dante royal block a punch from SA Superman?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
We all know who Superman is here right?

If you do, then you know why Dante doesn't stand a chance. This is totally an unfair match up.

DanteSpardaDevil

We all know who Superman is here right?

If you do, then you know why Dante doesn't stand a chance. This is totally an unfair match up.
This is not a fight,it's Just sa Superman landing a punch in Dante while he tries to Royal Block ç.What we are discussing is If It would parry and negate all damage.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're trying to argue that Dante is stronger than Superman.

*ahem* let me repeat that, Superman.

........Superman

Superman.

SUPERMAN.

*Punch*
injustice-kryptonian-crush-o.gif
I'm getting some mixed signals here. Your words and your gif don't match.

Are you saying that if Batman can Dante can, too? Because Batman got up right after.

Reactions: Kam

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Where did it say that Sparda created the human realm? I read once that the Sparda sword sealed off the demon world, but I wasn't aware of these other attributes that you (and other overly devoted fans like you) seemed to have pulled this particular power out of thin air.

Also, if it were that powerful, why didn't it just finish Mundus off with one swipe in gameplay? It seems like even Mundus himself wouldn't be able to withstand "such awesome power," after all.

Also, where did it say that "Sparda shattered the chaos of reality to divide it into the demon and human realms?" Once again, it seems like fanservice headcanon to me.

You make it seem like Sparda is God himself and he was the one who created mankind to begin with. Which I really don't think is the case here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

No, his parry would not "negate all damage." I've already explained why in my previous post. Reality-shattering punches would completely nullify any sort of "all-powerful" parries... no matter who does it.

Like I said, a punch like that would simply remove the very concept of RG from existence. End of story.
What? Dante's RG CAN be broken with the right amount of power. In DMC3, a low level demon was able to break it easily but Vergil couldn't make a dent.
This is what I've been saying. By the way, who was that low-level demon you're talking about? I have to know who it is.

If that low-level demon could break his RG (and if Dante can't RG some mundane poisonous gas that was slowly draining away his health in DMC4), then Superman would have no problem pulling this off with his psychic and/or physical power. At all.

In short, if all Superman needs to get past Dante's RG is some gas, then he could just use his ice breath. Done.
You remember what forum this is right?
Don't remind me. -_-

Last edited:

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

OFFTOPIC, dat picture though....not saying I think its accurate but it seems they are using Goku's weakest form (judging by that image it looks like saiyan saga goku) which seems kinda unfair since judging by those numbers they are estimating Supes at his most powerful while forgetting that Goku over the years has not only increased his base powerlevel immensely by the end of the series but he also has transformations that increase his over all power literally hundreds folds over.

Sorry big DBZ fan here, just had to get that off my chest.

Now on to the topic at hand, I'm really not sure on this one, if we go by game mechanics I agree that Dante should be able to AT LEAST block it, whether it shatters his arms/body and such in the process I don't know.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
whether it shatters his arms/body and such in the process I don't know.
Probably. There's no way that there can't be some sort of power balance to offset that kind of protectional barrier. It's insane to think that absolutely nothing could get past RG.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Dante could block a Punch from Superman (in ANY INCARNATION) about as well as he could block a punch from Savage, Green Scar, or World Breaker Hulk.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
The thing is superman does have a weakness towards magic, the question here is that would Royal Guard be considered some form of demonic magic?

If so as I said it should be enough to at least block the punch IMO.

Exejpgwmv

Technically, yes.

But only if Superman let's him. Obviously if Supes throws a punch at near light speed, Dante won't be able react in time.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
In DMC3, a low level demon was able to break it easily
Incorrect. Moving on

I believe my argument was a very compelling "He is freaking Superman".
And superman has had his punches blocked by other mortals, really clever scientists, and even faces that were too resilient to be punched. Your assertion that "He is freaking superman" just establishes him as a character where his punches can fail if the amount of power he puts out is not enough. The established mechanic for royal guard is that no amount of strength matters, and any attack will simply fail against a well timed block

Technically, yes.

But only if Superman let's him. Obviously if Supes throws a punch at near light speed, Dante won't be able react in time.
absolutely. In a one-on-one fight, superman would easily tear dante a new one because there's just so much bullshit written into his character, no other character really stands a chance. Traversing the width of the universe many times in a single day, reviving himself from death more than once, time travel, psychic powers, it's just too much to handle. But if we're going to narrow it down to superman landing a punch on a successfully timed royal block, then yes it would be fully blocked, because a royal block negates any amount of damage, even if it's an absurd superman-quantity of damage.

Probably. There's no way that there can't be some sort of power balance to offset that kind of protectional barrier. It's insane to think that absolutely nothing could get past RG.
it's insane to think someone could punch so hard that they rewrite the laws of the universe, but you are setting this up as acceptable, while a block that ignores any amount of damage is not? You're not being very reasonable here.

The gameplay mechanic of DMC is that if a parry is timed correctly, no matter what attack it is, no damage will be suffered. It could just be that royalguard is impervious to scrutiny because there's so little written about it that it was never assigned a flaw, but that's how it is. On the other hand, superman's punches have failed time and time again.

So instead of cherrypicking what we deem acceptable and unacceptable, I'm moving that we accept both characters at full power. Superman's punch has so much strength that the universe will split in half. Dante's block is so absolute that the amount of damage contained in an attack is not relevant to the success of the block. Boom, easy conclusion, royalguard negates the one thing superman's punch has going for it (absurd strength vs disregard for strength) and wins.

In short, if all Superman needs to get past Dante's RG is some gas, then he could just use his ice breath. Done.
Dante has no problems blocking a gas breath attack from gluttony. The thing dante is unable to royal block is breathing in poison gas, and while we could get involved in the delightful idea of superman passionately breathing cold air into dante's unguarded mouth, I think the subject here is punches

Last edited by a moderator:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Uh how about no. In DMC3 try a royal guard on one of those shield demons with the spinning shield and then tell me instead of ****ing on my comment like a dead bird.
Edit: You mean the Dullahan, right?

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Dullahan

That's the demon that got past his RG? Good heavens, then Dante doesn't stand a chance against the Man of Steel.

Edit: Of course, it comes as absolutely no surprise that the fans choose to ignore this. Fanatic devotion, amirite guys?

Seriously, I'd love to see an RG clip of him against a Dullahan. But, I couldn't find one, so it looks like he can't block against one, after all.

Off-topic: Look! Up in the sky! It's dead bird! It's a dead horse! No, it's FANBOYISM.

Sorry. But you have to admit, it's pretty fanboyish to think that RG is able to block anything.

Back on topic:

One more thing... Superman has a ton of BS written into his character but Dante doesn't???

Yeah, I'm not the one who's cherrypicking here, champ. Still, it was a stalwart attempt at strawmanning nonetheless. Good show. Can't wait for your next performance.

You didn't post your source for Sparda creating mankind, btw. I looked here...

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_Sparda

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Sparda

.. but alas, I didn't see anything that provided evidence that he did. Maybe I just misread the whole thing. Who knows?

However, it does remind me of certain religious extremists when they claim that a certain deity of theirs created the entire world out of nothing. Just replace "nothing" with "sword" and there you go.

Last edited:

Kam

Uh how about no. In DMC3 e royal guard on one of those shield demons with the spinning shield and then tell me instead of ****ing on my comment like a dead bird.
uh how about yeah, you can parry those. In DMC3 e royal guard on one of those shield demons with the spinning shield will block it, and a just release will pierce their shield and is a good way to kill them without having to dance around them in a circle. Try it out and then tell me no instead of ****ting on my comment like a dead bird.

Edit - Not that I'm questioning your thorough understanding of royalguard, but maybe you should just stick to the facts. If you have to lie to get your case moving again, shouldn't that be a sign to yourself that it's time to stop? Is it really worth fighting just for the sake of fighting? I think this forum has enough of that

That's the demon that got past his RG? Good heavens, then Dante doesn't stand a chance against the Man of Steel.

Edit: Of course, it comes as absolutely no surprise that the fans choose to ignore this. Fanatic devotion, amirite guys?

Off-topic: Look! Up in the sky! It's dead bird! It's a dead horse! No, it's FANBOYISM.

Sorry. But you have to admit, it's pretty fanboyish to think that RG is able to block anything.
It can be blocked just like any other attack. Of course it comes as absolutely no surprise that the fans choose to invent facts when they've got nothing else to back them up. Fantastic devotion, amirite guys?

Sorry. But you have to admit, it's pretty fanboyish to be posting in this thread at all, for either side, for any reason. it's a goddamn "superman vs someone else" thread.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The thing is superman does have a weakness towards magic, the question here is that would Royal Guard be considered some form of demonic magic?

If so as I said it should be enough to at least block the punch IMO.
You actually brought up a good point: YES. Superman is 100% vulnerable to magic, which is why it has been commonly agreed on by comic book aficionados that Superman's arguable rival in the Marvel Universe is Thor, whose entire essence and power revolves around ancient magic.

If Royal Guard is specifically a kind of magic or enchantment (which I have no idea if it is, given how little I know how Dante's combat abilities work), then he could easily Royal Block a punch.

HOWEVER, Superman's power cannot be harnessed by magical power...so if Dante tried to release the damage he stores through a Release, it wouldn't have any effect on Superman.

At least, that's what I gather (I'm more of a Marvel person anyway, so there's a limit to how much Superman trivia I actually have. Anyone should feel free to correct me about anything).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Edit:

Yeah, it seems as though Royal Guard really does depend on player skill. I admit it.

So, let's see if Dante ever gets around to parrying Spiral Swords (while Vergil's attacking).

Yep. Absolutely.

Yes, apparently he can.

Yeah. That's a positive.

Alright. It looks like Dante really can counter just about anything.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
uh how about yeah, you can parry those. In DMC3 e royal guard on one of those shield demons with the spinning shield will block it, and a just release will pierce their shield and is a good way to kill them without having to dance around them in a circle. Try it out and then tell me no instead of ****ting on my comment like a dead bird.

I have, and it broke right through the royal guard like it was nothing. Shattered it then continued to drill through me.

Edit - Not that I'm questioning your thorough understanding of royalguard, but maybe you should just stick to the facts. If you have to lie to get your case moving again, shouldn't that be a sign to yourself that it's time to stop? Is it really worth fighting just for the sake of fighting? I think this forum has enough of that

Whose fighting? You literally treated my comment like I said something stupid and ignored it like it was nothing. And I'm not lying. Try it for yourself. When the shield comes spinning at you, use royal guard and watch it shatter RG like nothing.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
There's something else.

I'm not a Superman fan. I'm just looking this whole thing objectively, like Angry Joe and Variant Comics did.

But sure, let's look at this the other way too.

Now let's go right back to Superman beating Batman! XD

-------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

The name of the shield villain DM2010 is referring to is called a "Dullahan." I'll have to try it out for myself. For now however, I'll take his word for it.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm getting some mixed signals here. Your words and your gif don't match.

Are you saying that if Batman can Dante can, too? Because Batman got up right after.
That isn't Batman in the gif. It's Ares. He's a god so.

OFFTOPIC, dat picture though....not saying I think its accurate but it seems they are using Goku's weakest form (judging by that image it looks like saiyan saga goku) which seems kinda unfair since judging by those numbers they are estimating Supes at his most powerful while forgetting that Goku over the years has not only increased his base powerlevel immensely by the end of the series but he also has transformations that increase his over all power literally hundreds folds over.

Sorry big DBZ fan here, just had to get that off my chest.

Now on to the topic at hand, I'm really not sure on this one, if we go by game mechanics I agree that Dante should be able to AT LEAST block it, whether it shatters his arms/body and such in the process I don't know.
I'm an immense DBZ fan as well, and Goku still can't beat Superman. He's just that freaking powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kam

I have, and it broke right through the royal guard like it was nothing. Shattered it then continued to drill through me.

Whose fighting? You literally treated my comment like I said something stupid and ignored it like it was nothing. And I'm not lying. Try it for yourself. When the shield comes spinning at you, use royal guard and watch it shatter RG like nothing.
The drill shield is continuous damage, you need to parry every tick otherwise you take the damage. If you just hold it then of course your block will break, you only parried the first tick and the standard held block that follows is like a wet noodle. Royal guard is my primary style, and I almost never kill the armor demons the "standard" way anymore, since using royal guard to penetrate directly through them is so much better. It absolutely does work, and I can only attribute your inability to do the same to a lack of skill.

The name of the shield villain DM2010 is referring to is called a "Dullahan." I'll have to try it out for myself. For now however, I'll take his word for it.
Try killing them with a just release through the face. It's damn satisfying, and once you've got it down you don't ever go back to the old method. It sure beats trying to get above or around them, especially when they've decided they want to keep backing away and evading

Top Bottom