• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Character interactions

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
How do you feel character interactions in DMC1 would have changed if Dante had his DMC 3 and 4 charactersation?

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sorry I forgot to put "in DMC 1" because he was overall less over the top in that game, he was still cocky but not as cartoony
I dont think DMC3 Dante would have cared about saving trish nor that shocked by griffin's death. To me, he wanted to fight demons but wouldn't have cared that much about helping others. He'd help people in his immediate vicinity but he wasn't a hero of justice.

DMC4 Dante probably would have had better jokes but wouldn't have been that different than how he was portrayed in DMC1. In DMC1 he's fighting the one who killed his mom so he's taking it more seriously.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I dont think DMC3 Dante would have cared about saving trish nor that shocked by griffin's death. To me, he wanted to fight demons but wouldn't have cared that much about helping others. He'd help people in his immediate vicinity but he wasn't a hero of justice.

DMC4 Dante probably would have had better jokes but wouldn't have been that different than how he was portrayed in DMC1. In DMC1 he's fighting the one who killed his mom so he's taking it more seriously.
You now live in the same depressing reality as I do when you realize how alien DMC3/4 Dante seems compared to his first incarnation.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
You now live in the same depressing reality as I do when you realize how alien DMC3/4 Dante seems compared to his first incarnation.
DMC3 does take place a decade before DMC1 so it makes sense that he's a bit different. Granted they could have filled you in more on why he was the way he was better.

4's....he's got nothing else to really strive for so he's not as invested.

WolfOD64

DMC3 does take place a decade before DMC1 so it makes sense that he's a bit different. Granted they could have filled you in more on why he was the way he was better.
My point exactly. The point of a prequel is to explain how certain characters end up a certain way, yes? And by the end of DMC3, it's practically compounding the fact that Dante hasn't developed one iota since the beginning of the game, or dispalyed even a fraction of the traits he's shown to have in DMC1...a fact the game celebrates with a final, over-the-top gun kata scene with Lady and a pack of demons in the finale. Then, in the epilogue, he's just wearing his DMC1 outfit and putting up the storefront "Devil May Cry" neon sign in an incredibly weaksauce attempt to push the idea that he's evolved into the Dante from the first game, when in fact he's shown no resemblance to that Dante whatsoever, and has done more to contradict with that game's portrayal of his character.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
How do you feel character interactions in DMC1 would have changed if Dante had his DMC 3 and 4 charactersation?

Hmm, weird question to ask. Tbh I don't think that it would have been much different with the DMC3 incarnation, aside from a couple of scenes. The two games are pretty similar in terms of who Dante has to interact with. A girl that pretty much starts off assaulting him and then you don't know if you should trust, Vergil, and the evil mind behind the scenes.
Honestly I think a lot of it would have played out like DMC3, really. He would start off making a mockery of Vergil only to progressively taking him more seriously. He would care little about Trish at the beginning only to grow more empathy towards her just like it happened with Lady, etc. I dunno, I find it a weird question exactly because of the fact that DMC3 Dante ends up developing some of the qualities we see in DMC1 by the end of the game, such as sense of duty, compassion, empathy, without renouncing to the fun loving aspect of his personality. So it feels strange to me to have to put him in DMC1 situations, I don't see the point, really. Aside from a couple of scenes like Griffin's death for example, I think the only major change would be that he'd be a lot more over the top when confronting his enemies.

As for DMC4, it's hard to tell because he felt so disconnected to the events of that game. While it's kinda easy to imagine why, as those events were of no personal importance to him, it's hard to say how he would have been in a personal matter like DMC1's. My guess is that his attitude towards most characters would be pretty much the same as in DMC4, he'd know he's a lot stronger than almost everyone else so he'd joke around them a lot but at the same time, I can see him showing compassion for Griffin more than DMC3 Dante for instance. He strikes me more as someone who gives his foes a chance like he did with Berial, so a straight up cold blooded kill like the one Griffin suffered would probably upset him still.
When it comes to Trish... I don't know, I don't have a term of comparison like Lady here. Would he care about her? The only one that can vaguely compare is maybe Credo, an enemy at first that later "saw the light", so to speak. If we go off of that, yeah on one hand I can see him going somewhat emotional over her but on the other hand I don't think he would be fazed much by her double crossing so that lack of care about it makes it hard for me to believe he would react as loudly as he did in DMC1.

That's a hard question for me to figure out pal, LOL. So many variables to take into account, I don't even know if it makes sense to ask such a question. But an interesting one nonetheless, don't get me wrong.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Reuben Langdon's voice aside. I don't think it would be much different. Despite what some people think, I honestly believe that Dante's seemingly contradictory personality in one versus three and four. Can be justified by the fact that Dante was taking the mission to Mallet Island far more seriously then normal, as he was finally getting his chance to avenge his mother's death and brother's corruption.

WolfOD64

Reuben Langdon's voice aside. I don't think it would be much different. Despite what some people think, I honestly believe that Dante's seemingly contradictory personality in one versus three and four. Can be justified by the fact that Dante was taking the mission to Mallet Island far more seriously then normal, as he was finally getting his chance to avenge his mother's death and brother's corruption.
That would only explain why Dante would act serious during his confrontations with Mundus and Nelo Angelo, not his more serious and cautious mannerisms throughout the rest of the game, and while confronting characters like Griffon or Trish. He still took far more breaks from being the cocky anime character we see in DMC3/4, and during plenty of instances where his "quest to avenge his family" was not relevant or the first thing on his mind whatsoeever.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
That would only explain why Dante would act serious during his confrontations with Mundus and Nelo Angelo, not his more serious and cautious mannerisms throughout the rest of the game, and while confronting characters like Griffon or Trish. He still took far more breaks from being the cocky anime character we see in DMC3/4, and during plenty of instances where his "quest to avenge his family" was not relevant or the first thing on his mind whatsoeever.
Look Wolf, just don't bring up your DMC3 Dante bashing to me, okay? I've read dozens of your posts about it, and I simply do not agree with it. Okay? Cool.

WolfOD64

Look Wolf, just don't bring up your DMC3 Dante bashing to me, okay? I've read dozens of your posts about it, and I simply do not agree with it. Okay? Cool.
Except this inconsistency with his character in DMC1 is the only thing I'm critiquing, and is present in both DMC4 AND the anime.

I love any excuse to bash DMC3 like my reputation around these forums would suggest, but that's actually not the point I was making.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Except this inconsistency with his character in DMC1 is the only thing I'm critiquing, and is present in both DMC4 AND the anime.

I love any excuse to bash DMC3 like my reputation around these forums would suggest, but that's actually not the point I was making.
And as I've stated, for ME, it's an inconsistency with a justifiable reason. Again, imo.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
My point exactly. The point of a prequel is to explain how certain characters end up a certain way, yes? And by the end of DMC3, it's practically compounding the fact that Dante hasn't developed one iota since the beginning of the game, or dispalyed even a fraction of the traits he's shown to have in DMC1...a fact the game celebrates with a final, over-the-top gun kata scene with Lady and a pack of demons in the finale.
Well, technically, he DID sort of develop in DMC3 by realizing that just killing demons for the fun of it, and settling the family score with Vergil wasn't just the only important thing to worry about, and there were also things to take into account; like seeing the crap that Lady was going through. However, yeah Capcom's lazy writing didn't do any favors to character development.

WolfOD64

Well, technically, he DID sort of develop in DMC3 by realizing that just killing demons for the fun of it, and settling the family score with Vergil wasn't just the only important thing to worry about, and there were also things to take into account; like seeing the crap that Lady was going through. However, yeah Capcom's lazy writing didn't do any favors to character development.
Even if that's true (which I would argue, it isn't given how the game ends, and how paper-thin the game's narrative is in conveying Dante's "growth" throughout the game), it's contradictory with what we're told in the first game for Dante to have this magical epiphany about family in DMC3.

In DMC1, we're told that after Mundus claiming the lives of both Eva and Vergil, Dante spends his entire life up till adulthood hunting demons until he "hits the jackpot" and confronts their leader. That's the ENTIRE REASON he set up shop as a Demon Hunter in the first place: he's on a warpath, the entirety of his existence as an opponent to the demon hordes has been one carved from a need for revenge. So why does DMC3 randomly start with him not caring about his family? Why would he need this whole experience with Vergil, Lady, and Arkham to remind him of the value of family, to create a resurgence in his drive for getting revenge? He needs a conflict of strangers like Arkham and his daughter to re-instigate the motivation in continuing the quest he's been ruthlessly pursuing his entire adulthood? That makes no sense whatsoever!

That's like Batman needing a gentle reminder from a stranger like Superman or the Flash to realize why he fights criminals, and why he wants to avenge his parents. That's not something you just magically forget over the passage of time, especially when that's the emotional crux of the character's existence in the first place. That's just weak and inconsistent writing.

But I guess that's par for the course for Devil May Cry at this point.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Even if that's true (which I would argue, it isn't given how the game ends, and how paper-thin the game's narrative is in conveying Dante's "growth" throughout the game), it's contradictory with what we're told in the first game for Dante to have this magical epiphany about family in DMC3.

In DMC1, we're told that after Mundus claiming the lives of both Eva and Vergil, Dante spends his entire life up till adulthood hunting demons until he "hits the jackpot" and confronts their leader. That's the ENTIRE REASON he set up shop as a Demon Hunter in the first place: he's on a warpath, the entirety of his existence as an opponent to the demon hordes has been one carved from a need for revenge. So why does DMC3 randomly start with him not caring about his family? Why would he need this whole experience with Vergil, Lady, and Arkham to remind him of the value of family, to create a resurgence in his drive for getting revenge? He needs a conflict of strangers like Arkham and his daughter to re-instigate the motivation in continuing the quest he's been ruthlessly pursuing his entire adulthood? That makes no sense whatsoever!

That's like Batman needing a gentle reminder from a stranger like Superman or the Flash to realize why he fights criminals, and why he wants to avenge his parents. That's not something you just magically forget over the passage of time, especially when that's the emotional crux of the character's existence in the first place. That's just weak and inconsistent writing.

But I guess that's par for the course for Devil May Cry at this point.
tumblr_p3scl1YXHv1sejmmmo3_540.gif

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A while ago i did a dmc3 remake thread focusing on a change to the story. I wanted to bring the light novel back in canon and make those events what happened the year before DMC3. The manga could still happen but closer to DMC3 like a few weeks.

For those not in the know the light novel was Dante's backstory before DMC3 was concieved. It focused on amnesiac Dante who was a mercena
ry named Tony Redgrave. By novel's end he regains his memory but it comes at a terrible cost: his friends were murdered by Vergil.

So cut to a year later this Dante would be in a very different place than DMC3 Dante was, a lot more angry/hurt, a lot more bitter, and a lot less in control than he was in DMC3 so it be a different journey.

On the flip side, the anime would be more upbeat and zany if it took place right after DMC3. Dante just went through his character development and is starting the business so he wouldn't be depressed or jaded like he was in the anime. He'd be more engaged and willing to grab the bull by the horns so to speak.

It might actually be fun to watch this time.

People say that DmC could have taken place a year before DMC3 and I'm like nope it wouldn't work without a lot of changes. Same if you had DmC take place after DMC3 which i have talked about in a different thread before.

@WolfOD64 @DragonMaster2010

In capcom's defense that statement was told not shown and the game doesn't show anymore of Dante's past outside of the chocolate cake memory. So it is possible for Dante to omit or play down his less than favorable moments when describing himself. Before she attacks him, Dante just sees Trish as a client and doesn't see the need to correct her.

Plus they did retcon that in the light novel and that was Kamiya approved so maybe they didn't think it was that important to keep? (rhetorical)

At the beginning of the game Dante had his shop already to go, he just needed a name. So i don't think he forgot about Eva at all, he was still committed to avenging her. His family problems were more about Vergil and Sparda than Eva as he talks with open contempt towards them. That fact his temperament towards them changes towards the end is what they were going for? He does make a plea for Vergil to stop his quest and tries to grab his hand, wanting to prevent his fall after all.

It's not perfect and could have been done better but it is there.

Them including a scene like this would have gone a long way.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10917207/1/Am-I-Evil

Last edited:
Top Bottom