• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Change of Forum Software a-comin'

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Hello sexy people,

Long story short: We're going to be migrating away from vBulletin (current forum software) over to XenForo (forum software by the same people as the vBulletin 3.x branch).

Reasons we're not going to be sticking with vBulletin: I don't like the direction it's headin-- headed. It's bloated, not optimized to a standard with which I would be satisfied with, and just plain isn't for DMC.org anymore.

XenForo is, in my mind, the must better solution for this place. I like it, and I'm going to be performing the migration this week, or whenever I can gather together all the necessary tools. If you'd like a preview of how XenForo looks, feel free to Google it, or check out our Fable Forum or GreyViper. I'm going to be spending the rest of the day cobbling together a nice, dark template, so I'm going to be quite busy. but I'll check out this thread occasionally for anything you guys want to ask.

I just don't want to hear any whining. Keep it civil. Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated but, ultimately, this has to happen. I realise this post hasn't explained a massive amount as to why we're migrating over to a new forum solution, nor have I given you a massive run-down of what to expect, but, the truth is - aside from a different look, slightly different interface, everything will essentially remain the same. You'll still be able to post, private message (only with multiple people simultaneously now), change your avatar, signature, etc. Your passwords will still remain the same and you will not lost any posts, or have you post counts reset.

Just know that there must be a reason behind why I feel this is necessary, so don't reach for those pitchforks right away.

So, yeah, that is all. I'm excited about it and I hope you are too. Cheers!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I would firstly just like to say that you've done a good job with all the trouble that's happened around here lately. And personally if you feel that this change will suit this place more, then I for one am more than happen to see this happen. Bring on the change :p

Steve

Admin
Hey LoD! Long time, no see, eh? Cheers for the positive first response. Truth is: It will make for the better, but it might take a short while for some to get used to the new layout. XenForo brings plenty of new features to the table, too. :)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Steve;302258 said:
Hey LoD! Long time, no see, eh? Cheers for the positive first response. Truth is: It will make for the better, but it might take a short while for some to get used to the new layout. XenForo brings plenty of new features to the table, too. :)

Hey Steve! Yeah it has been :p

No worries amigo ^_^ Thanks for explaining more as to why it'll benefit us more. And the new features sound intriguing :ninja:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Oh, awesome. Thanks for the heads up, Steve. :D

One question, though. Do all of the threads, posts, Visitor Messages, etc will be retained if you change to XenForo?

d5f02ecd.gif

(guess this smiley says everything)

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day cobbling together a nice, dark template
Yeah please ;_; cuz I realy have a problem with white color.

Steve

Admin
Chaos Master;302261 said:
Oh, awesome. Thanks for the heads up, Steve. :D

One question, though. Do all of the threads, posts, Visitor Messages, etc will be retained if you change to XenForo?

It's a definite yes for threads and posts, but I'm not 100% sure on visitor messages. I believe they do get ported over, but I'll have to look into that for you.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Steve;302263 said:
It's a definite yes for threads and posts, but I'm not 100% sure on visitor messages. I believe they do get ported over, but I'll have to look into that for you.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply. :D

Dark Drakan

Admin
Xenforo might look a little daunting at first but its much sleeker, faster, and easier to use than VB when you get used to it. It also has some nice features that VB does not. Personally i like that you get a notification whenever someone quotes you in a thread or replies to one of your messages. It means you miss A LOT less of people asking you things or requiring a response.

The ability to have a conversation style for PM's is good too so you dont have to keep looking back at a previous message when typing a response. Be patient with the changeover and some errors may occur here and there but Steve will do his best to make sure everything that can be retained is and things go as smooth as they can. Its in the best interests of the forums to move with the times and will also help stop downtime in future.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;302266 said:
Xenforo might look a little daunting at first but its much sleeker, faster, and easier to use than VB when you get used to it. It also has some nice features that VB does not. Personally i like that you get a notification whenever someone quotes you in a thread or replies to one of your messages. It means you miss A LOT less of people asking you things or requiring a response.

The ability to have a conversation style for PM's is good too so you dont have to keep looking back at a previous message when typing a response. Be patient with the changeover and some errors may occur here and there but Steve will do his best to make sure everything that can be retained is and things go as smooth as they can. Its in the best interests of the forums to move with the times and will also help stop downtime in future.

Oh, awesome. :D Is Xenforo's price as expensive as VBulletin?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
The crazy demon;302274 said:
Great new!.

But i do have a question, what will happend to social groups?.

This is the only thing I'm concerned with too, since I've got but one social group on this forum and I'd be miffed to see it go, considering how important it is to me and the rest of the RPers on the forum.

Klawed Flaw

Fallout Nut
Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!

Joking aside, I just got called sexy, and I wouldn't mind a change in forum functions. The current software being used is a bit outdated, and probably could use a landfill as a home in this case. *gets the Digimon to help Steve* You have a ton more help from the monster friends to boys and girls.

Meg

Been wondering when this was gonna happen. I'm curious to see the new DMC. I'm know you'll make sure it looks pretty Mr. Steve! :D

HEY! DMC.org is getting a reboot right as DMC the game is getting a reboot! Ain't that FUNNY?! *is slapped*

Heheh, anyway. Ms. Angel went a bit more in depth in terms of the changes and what not over at REN. Here's the link for anyone that's interested. http://forum.residentevilnews.com/showthread.php?t=5500

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Thanks for the info Steve. It sounds like a very positive change, I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
if you'd like a preview of what it looks like, it's been on forums.projectego.net for quite some time.

reason it hasn't come here yet? the integration was clunky and anything but smooth. i think that if this place is getting the Xenforo treatment, many of the bugs and disaster that struck when projectego migrated over will not be showing themselves again.

EDIT: steve already mentioned that it's on the fable forum already D'OH!
oh well, that's why it's worth being his lover even if Angel someday finds out. ^_^

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I have a question, will we have to rejoin or will our accounts be changed over too?

Thanks for the heads up... it should be really interesting :D

Top Bottom