• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Lowered Their Expectations To 1.2 Million

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
DMC3 didn't have nearly the budget that DmC did in advertising or production with that expensive mocap equipment. It also came out at a time when the market was much smaller. DmC was advertised like crazy. Everytime I walked into GameStop I saw two cardboard cut outs of Dante and the trailer playing on their TV. There's also the app and all the YouTube ad campaigns. DMC3 didn't have anywhere close to that.

Also, 4 years? Any source on that? Because the sales charts from Capcom do not include the special edition which came out only a year after DMC3. I suspect DMC3's sales plus the special edition are closer to 2 million.
The PS2 was immensely popular in 2004. It isn't called the king of home consoles for nothing. Also, the report stated the sales of DMC3 in general and the sales number was released in 2008, 2 years after the release of the special edition. They have no reason to leave out the special edition in an official sales report. What's more, games cost $50 back in they ps2 era for a reasin. We also do not know whether or not all that mocap stuff is expensive or not so what you're saying is pure speculation. Advertising is prolly the only point of yours I agree with.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
We did?

celebrate.gif%3Fw%3D480

CELEBRATION TIME COME ON!!! (Even though I so hypocritically bought the game

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
So did the sales bomb?
Not so much, since there was only two and a half months of release for the game before the fiscial year ended, hence why Capcom adjusted projections. The 2 million units expectation was made when release was planned for q4 2012, NOT q1 2013. DmC's had just a little over two weeks of release now, it's been slow but descent.

Slacri

The PS2 was immensely popular in 2004. It isn't called the king of home consoles for nothing.
That doesn't change the fact that the market for gaming wasn't as big.
Also, the report stated the sales of DMC3 in general and the sales number was released in 2008, 2 years after the release of the special edition. They have no reason to leave out the special edition in an official sales report. What's more, games cost $50 back in they ps2 era for a reasin. We also do not know whether or not all that mocap stuff is expensive or not so what you're saying is pure speculation. Advertising is prolly the only point of yours I agree with.
It's a re-release. Capcom's charts that they released on the sales originally ( which is where I assume you got the 1.3 million ) did not include it.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3087/devil-may-cry-3-dantes-awakening-special-edition/

2.2 million.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
I wonder why the game isn't doing so well.

It's not like its a bad game at all. Maybe it's just the time of the year? If they had put Nero in the game, I would understand why their expectations of the game dropped significantly :p

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It's not that I don't want to support DmC. It's just that I always buy my Hack and Slash games used.

Which means you're not actually supporting the game where it will count. Capcom sees nothing of the returns on used games, only the stores do, so it'll never get included in the sales counts that matter.

ChaserTech

Which means you're not actually supporting the game where it will count. Capcom sees nothing of the returns on used games, only the stores do, so it'll never get included in the sales counts that matter.

Is it wrong that he wants to save his own money by buying used games?
I do it all the time. $60 puts a huge dent in my wallet since I'm only a college student whom barely makes any sort of income.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The price on stock package will eventually drop,but saying "It's not that I don't want to support the game,but I;'d rather buy used" does NOT help the game. I havbe budgets too, it's why when I pre-order games, I do it early enough that I can put bits down each pay period so I can afford it.

ChaserTech

The price on stock package will eventually drop,but saying "It's not that I don't want to support the game,but I;'d rather buy used" does NOT help the game

Of course that's true, but some of us just don't want to spend an extra 20 dollars on a game when you could just buy it used. I get that people want to support the companies behind these games, and I'm alright with that. But if I want to save my money, I will save my money by buying a used copy of a game.

That's what I did with Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2 since I didn't want to spend much money at the time.

LerpDerp

There's a lot of data to support how colossal a failure DmC is compared to previous DMC games or similar action games. We have our first two week numbers now and they follow the trend of DMC 4 and Bayonetta. Bayonetta even offers us up near identical data if we take the first two weeks as our example. DMC4 had two weeks of growth before it's sales diminished.

I'll be using the PS3 sales figures as it compliments DmC the most.

DmC:
  • Week 1 sales: 362,982
  • Week 2 sales: 86,412 (-76.2%)
Bayonetta:
  • Week 1 Sales: 138,864
  • Week 2 Sales: 28,075 (-79.8%)
  • Week 3 Sales: 12,167 (-56.7%)
  • Week 4 Sales: 7,142 (-42.3%)
  • Week 5 Sales: 4,587 (-35.8%)
DMC4:
  • Week 1 Sales: 208,837
  • Week 2 Sales: 346,763 (+66%)
  • Week 3 Sales: 175,874 (-49.3%)
  • Week 4 Sales: 104,571 (-40.5%)
  • Week 5 Sales: 71,629 (-31.5%)
  • Week 6 Sales: 54,889 (-23.4%) [Included to even out the falling sales figures]
So, if we look at the sales figures for these recent Stylish Action games, we can see a trend in sales figures. After initial first week (Or in DMC 4's case, second week) hype sales ends, there is a steep decline in sales figures from week to week. DmC is closer to following Bayonetta's sales numbers than DMC4's, implying a greater dropoff per week when compared to DMC 4. If we take some high balled number from Bayonetta...
Projected DmC Sales:
  • Week 3 Sales: 43,206 (-50%)
  • Week 4 Sales: 17,282 (-40%)
  • Week 5 Sales: 5184 (-30%)
We see it doing slightly better than Bayonetta did while being drastically worse than DMC 4. It's important to note that Sega considered Bayonetta a failure and was not going to be granted a sequel until Nintendo decided they wanted it for the Wii U. Also, these sales figures are estimates and are likely to be higher or lower than projected. However, Capcom has lowered their yearly sales expectations down from 2 million copies to 1.2 million copies. Contrary to information in this thread, the 2 million projected were estimated on the January sales release. It is on track to undersell compared to every other game in the Devil May Cry series.
If Capcom deems this game a success, than they believe it is a success. However, when compared to previous games in the series, DmC is a flop selling fewer copies than the universally lauded DMC2. It's an unfortunate turn of events for a favorite game franchise but given the mechanic and story changes that Ninja Theory and Tameem instilled? Not surprising.

(Edit: Formatting changes)

Martius

SSSmokin!
I wonder why the game isn't doing so well.

It's not like its a bad game at all. Maybe it's just the time of the year? If they had put Nero in the game, I would understand why their expectations of the game dropped significantly :p
I dont know, Capcom, Ninja Theory and media calling everyone who did not like reboot or have any kind of criticism a "hater" should help right?

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I dont know, Capcom, Ninja Theory and media calling everyone who did not like reboot or have any kind of criticism a "hater" should help right?

I don't think the bad P.R made things too much worse, I know that if I had liked the direction I wouldn't have been too bothered by the P.R and still bought the game.

I think at the end of the day it just made those who are against the new direction even more angry and gave them something else to complain about. But I can't imagine it swayed too many people.

EDIT:
CELEBRATION TIME COME ON!!! (Even though I so hypocritically bought the game

Yeah that's the spirit! we're all winners in this war!
Spoilers...

(except the entire DMC/DmC community)

m100t8s

The price on stock package will eventually drop,but saying "It's not that I don't want to support the game,but I;'d rather buy used" does NOT help the game. I havbe budgets too, it's why when I pre-order games, I do it early enough that I can put bits down each pay period so I can afford it.

I'll still buy Vergil's Downfall though, It's really not that I don't want to support the game ^^.

Top Bottom