• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can vergil be redeemed?

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
I would cut down someone who's in my way. At same time i would share my bread with a orphan on the street.

Am i evil? No.
So how is Vergil evil?

Vergil makes me think of Inuyasha's brother (it seems Vergil is clone ofhim).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I would cut down someone who's in my way. At same time i would share my bread with a orphan on the street.

Am i evil? No.
So how is Vergil evil?

Vergil makes me think of Inuyasha's brother (it seems Vergil is clone ofhim).
Does Vergil give bread to orphans on the street?

I wouldn't call Vergil evil. He's just someone who's went through a lot of crap and his sense of honor and Justice has been twisted into personal gain that he thinks is honor. Vergil's just, as people here have said, missunderstood.

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
Does Vergil give bread to orphans on the street?

I wouldn't call Vergil evil. He's just someone who's went through a lot of crap and his sense of honor and Justice has been twisted into personal gain that he thinks is honor. Vergil's just, as people here have said, missunderstood.
Well there are two Vergils:
DMC 1
DMC 3

DMC 1 Vergil noone never knew much about how he was. But Dante's memory tells us that Vergil was as joyful as himself.
And Dante told Nelo Angelous "It's a shame someone like you work for Mundus".

DMC 3 Vergil seems like a copy of Sesshomaru from Inuyasha.

He later went again to Underworld to save the girl named Rin.

Human psycology isn't rocket science, something you've watched or been around leaves a pattern on you later when you create something such as a character.
DmC is punk influenced because that's one of things Tameem grew up with. Other influences: Inception, V for Vendetta etc.

With that said Inuyasha is a famous manga, and considering i am not japanese and find it really appealing it makes you wonder how popular it must be to Japanese people.
And japanese people made DMC 3 and it's character Vergil.

And it goes back to Vergil being a Sesshomaru inspired character, and considering Sesshomaru cares for a human called Rin (even though he doesn't have to), then that same "character" trait applies to Vergil.
Because let's face it, the little we see of Vergil from DMC 3 he does not come off as evil.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well there are two Vergils:
DMC 1
DMC 3

DMC 1 Vergil noone never knew much about how he was. But Dante's memory tells us that Vergil was as joyful as himself.
And Dante told Nelo Angelous "It's a shame someone like you work for Mundus".

DMC 3 Vergil seems like a copy of Sesshomaru from Inuyasha.

He later went again to Underworld to save the girl named Rin.

Human psycology isn't rocket science, something you've watched or been around leaves a pattern on you later when you create something such as a character.
DmC is punk influenced because that's one of things Tameem grew up with. Other influences: Inception, V for Vendetta etc.

With that said Inuyasha is a famous manga, and considering i am not japanese and find it really appealing it makes you wonder how popular it must be to Japanese people.
And japanese people made DMC 3 and it's character Vergil.

And it goes back to Vergil being a Sesshomaru inspired character, and considering Sesshomaru cares for a human called Rin (even though he doesn't have to), then that same "character" trait applies to Vergil.
Because let's face it, the little we see of Vergil from DMC 3 he does not come off as evil.

wow. That actually makes sense. Impressive.^_^
clap.gif

V

Oldschool DMC fan
There's no such thing as inherently good or evil to me... Vergil is Vergil.

But whether he can be redeemed in traditional storytelling terms, or in a discussion on moral responsibility or atonement... I say yes. Easily. Since all he did was chase power selfishly for what would seem to be an over-compensation on his part, he's not quite in the same league with people who commit acts of murder because they're obsessed with becoming evil, or someone like Mundus who wants to oppress and punish all humans. Most characters guilty of misguided pride, decisions or loyalties can be redeemed, and are, as tragic/sacrifice characters. Credo for example. Not an evil guy, but a misguided one - he meant well but he went the wrong way about it, and was ultimately redeemed in his own self-sacrifice once he realises who the true enemy is and 'does the right thing'.

So sure, Vergil could be 'redeemed' if he gave up his power hunt, or used his power to help Dante or whatever (as Darkslayer pointed out), like Trish, who was also redeemed for her 'sins' this way. Particularly if he did so at the cost of himself. But he doesn't really need to be redeemed IMO, as he's a necessary foil and counterpart to the hero - illuminating that Dante could always take one of two paths, the way he chooses as the hero (the hard way), or the way Vergil chooses, which is to seek that which would give him advantage over all enemies (risking moral desolation in the process). Vergil stands as a warning to us of what Dante could become if he ever let greed or pride get the better of him.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Vergil may not be evil, but he was perfectly aware of the consequences of his actions on the human realm.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
He was. That's the main reason he can be considered a bad guy - the amount of collateral damage he knowingly caused. Wanting power or challenges doesn't make one 'evil'.

Offing a guy you knew was going to betray you might qualify, except that he didn't technically off him because Arkham didn't die. But if he had been a normal human, Arkham would have been a grease stain. And he ordered Arkham to kill Lady (which also never happened), though Vergil didn't kill her himself when he had the easy chance. I guess he considers himself above killing people who are clearly too weak for him. Except traitors like Arkham.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Arkham proposed himself to get rid of her. Vergil remained silent, like he was ignoring what Arkham told him.

Top Bottom