• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Black Panther - Discussion

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I searched this forum to see if there's any thread on this movie. Couldn't find anything on it, clear evidence that you all are a hivemind of racists who poke holes in your sheets.
I'm kidding, by the way.

So, I saw Black Panther in theater last night. I wanted to share my non-spoiler thoughts on it immediately, but I did the mature thing of waiting until today in order to let the hype wash off. My opinion in this movie - and I'm saying this as a MCU fan - is that it was great. I loved it. I am also a hundred percent certain that the majority of the viewers will find this movie enjoyable for the most part, but the level of enjoyment that they can draw from it will fluctuate between each person. I've heard some people claim it was the best thing since "The Dark Knight" while I've heard some others get angry at the fact that it has a higher approval rating than "The Dark Knight", completely missing the fact that TDK still has a higher average (8.6) than BP (8.3) and that is what matters more. So, did I think the movie was better than The Dark Knight? Well, it's hard to say. For starters, BP is different in the sense that it fully embraces the madness of the source material. I won't spoil it for you, but there's stuff in that movie that'll make you do a double take. But if I had to compare the two, I'd say The Dark Knight edges it out in most aspects asides from a few that I'm about to mention - heart, being a prime example. Unlike TDK's mediocre attempts to make me believe that there was a love triangle between Dent, Rachel and Bruce, BP does a great job honing all the characters so that you fear for them when sh!t hits the fan. Also, because the movie fully embraces its comic book-ness, it is easier for the viewer to accept some of the outlandish schemes that are concocted in the movie, which is something that TDK had trouble with, especially during the final act. The fight scenes were also more frenetic in BP than in TDK, but they were undermind by the CGI which was quite 'meh' in some parts.

Another superhero flick that I have to compare BP to is Wonder Woman. Just like WW, BP also is being lauded for being progressive. There were many parts in the movie where director Ryan Coogler could have taken the bait and adopted an Us vs. Them stance like some comic book writers have in some BP comic runs (like when that time Wakandan councilmen decided to withhold the cure for cancer from the West), but just like fellow director Patty Jenkins, he avoided doing so expertly. The movie made sure to portray that any revolution that condones black supremacy is nuts and should be condemned. Of course, I'm certain that won't stop hate groups from misconstruing the overall message and lashing out, but any person with a good head on their shoulders will see the movie for what it is.

Now it all comes to the final question - how does the movie fare as an MCU entry? Well, for starters, what I appreciated about the movie is that it is mostly standalone and does not go out of its way to set anything up. The second thing I appreciated is the humor. It was moderate and did not poke its head whenever there was a serious scene happening (looking at you, Ragnarok!). The way how they handled humor in this movie was similar to how they did it in The Winter Soldier. What's also awesome, and this is slightly more meta and maybe it's something that non-MCU fans won't appreciate as much, is the fact that Ryan Coogler was given the green light to do the movie on his own terms and it SHOWS. It doesn't have the factory-made feel of previous installments, boasting awesome soundtrack (hip hop with a tribal motif) and awesome cast of supporting characters (Shuri, M'Baku and Kilmonger are especially great). The costumes are also amazing and do a great job of displaying Wakandan tradition. If this movie ever generates Oscar buzz, it's gonna be for the costume designs.

I think the movie ranks right up there with the Marvel greats: The Winter Soldier, Civil War and Iron Man. A piece of advice though - if you're not an MCU fan, don't waste your time with the post-credit scenes. The first scene simply visualizes what the ending of the movie implies, while the second one is quite dull and does nothing other than to tell you something that you already know from the Infinity War trailer.

I give this movie a 9.5/10.

Edit: One more gripe that I had with the movie is that it sometimes suffered from the Doctor Strange illness of being vague with time progression. There are some things in the movie that were clearly meant to happen in a span of several days or even months, but it felt like they wrapped up in 24 hours.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I just saw it and i loved it. The characters were great and it was a version of guess who that guy is.

Shuri was the breakout star to me. T'challa and Nakia had great chemistry.

I don't think Killmonger is as great as they say but i don't think he's terrible like Ronan or Malekith.

Last edited:

Teal

I don't think Killmonger is as great as they say but i don't think he's terrible like Ronan or Malekith.
I thought Killmonger was great, but he definitely wasn't Heath Ledger's Joker. I feel like he would have made an even bigger impact if they'd utilized him better in the first two acts. In a way, he reminded me of Jackie Chan's character in "The Foreigner" -- badass, but he didn't have any off-screen presence and you sort of forgot he was around until he popped up on screen.

Also, in case I didn't make it clear in my original post, let me say that I don't think this film is as spectacular as the critical praise suggests. It is definitely a top tier MCU film (at least in my view) and definitely worth those 4 euros I spent for a ticket, but the 88/100 score in Metacritic suggests this movie is the BEST superhero film (a record previously held by Superman 2 -- 87/100).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Teal
I'm not sure how to quantify what is the best MCU movie but i think its in the area of right next to captain america winter soldier.

Some of the fans disliked how cleaned up it is compared to the comics so I'm hoping the sequels bring some of that edge. There is a conversation between Storm and T'challa were Storm that T'challa is danger of becoming the next Magneto so I'm hoping that becomes a bigger part of the sequels. Plus Nakia becomes a villian in the comics so I'm wondering if they might tease us with that.

The film does touch upon multiculturalism versus isolationism so I'm hoping we see that continue in the future. It's political its not as careless as other marvel comics tend to be and even DmC could have learned something from it.

Teal

@Z218

Interesting watch. Thanks for the link!

I have to disagree with some points he made though, the bathos thing for example. Not every Marvel movie utilizes it to the extent that it is a staple of the franchise, as that guy made it to be. The CA trilogy, The Avengers, two of the Thor films, all of the Iron Man films, Homecoming, Doctor Strange all use it moderately. There were no jokes when Peggy or The Ancient One died. No one cracked a one liner when Coulson "died". And Guardians of the Galaxy gets a pass because it deals with cynical, weird characters that struggle with intimacy (i.e Rocket).

Ragnarok, though - I wholeheartedly agree. I believe DC flicks are vastly inferior to Marvel's, but I've found more redeeming qualities in BvS than that pile of steaming sh!t. Only good thing about that movie is that it marked the first time Marvel gave full control over to a director and let them do their own thing. Unfortunately, they gave it to a director who said he was pretending that the previous Thor films don't exist and whose entire filmmaking style revolves around bathos - dealing with tragedy via humor. What we got was a movie with the most character deaths and somber character arcs, but less emotional gravitas than a movie about a crime-fighting 15 year old with spider powers. Can't even describe how much I hate the fact Ragnarok got away with what it did to the character.

And of course a movie with a predominantly black cast set in an isolationist fictional kingdom is gonna deal with racial oppression. Still, it doesn't mark the first time Marvel has dealt with heavy themes. It's just that their themes were more political and less concerning social issues like racism. TWS for example treats post-9/11 paranoia. IM3 deals with the conspiracy theories that the US government fabricates their own enemies. Heck, even Thor Ragnarok throws a few jabs at the US government with the parallells it draws with Asgard.

I liked the video, and I agree that BP is a totally un-Marvel movie, but it is appropriate to give credit where it's due.

Can't argue with the soundtrack though. It was SO DOPE!

IttechGyan

I’m glad Black Panther exists but man am I bummed at how its story got treated. You have this movie at odds with itself trying to celebrate African identity and represent Afro-futurist concepts and then the Marvel lawyers step in and go “no the CIA told us to make this one about how black liberation movements are bad” so it becomes about black people fighting each other to save white people. ****in burn disney to the ground this **** is so tiring

ps its still the best marvel movie despite that, turns out deviating from the Studio Mandated Aesthetic does wonders to a franchise

Teal

@IttechGyan

[SPOILERS] Killmonger's plan was to have Wakanda take over the world and start a black supremacy revolution. That would be kinda like what Hitler attempted to do for his people. No matter how sad his backstory was, his plan was still nuts. And T'Challa did start a black liberation by the end, but he decided to do it in a proper, diplomatic manner.

T'Challa also said that waging a war against the world would likely destabilize Wakanda (since the world was catching up) so it was not just a fight for the sake of white people. Seriously, watch the movie again. It goes deeper than that.

On a side-note, real glad this movie is heading for a billion dollars at the box office. It deserves it.

Aisen66

i used to watch this show about a guy who could turn into a panther or some other animals it could had been a canadian show it was kinda cool only i watched it just a few times i liked flipper better and rintintin it was about a cop and his dog i never liked my country cartoons until now that im an adult they are super funny

Last edited:

Teal

@Z218
It baffles me that this is a point for discussions, to be honest. Killmonger is not the first comic book villain to have a point. Valentine had a point in Kingsman: The Secret Service, but no one doubted his status as a supervillain. Even cast members such as Chadwick Boseman believe that T'Challa was in the wrong, but anyone who has seen the movie knows that is just not true.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Teal
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/23...ls-like-tchalla-is-the-enemy-in-black-panther
I think its because Killmonger is the underdog and represents the common man more than T'challa who is old money/wealth/privilege. It's easier to fall into the "root for the empire trope" because you connect more with his more humbler beginnings.

the main problem with this view is the film doesn't give killmonger moments that support this. Most of his "pet the dog" moments are towards his father than "black liberation".

Don't get me wrong he still believes in black liberation and Wakanda has wasted its resources. It's just not as important to him as retribution for his father's death.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Aisen66
We have threads for matters such as those. Neither of those post are of relevance to the topic therefore I'm deleting them. If you want to talk about those things we have rant and thinking threads.

Aisen66

@Aisen66
We have threads for matters such as those. Neither of those post are of relevance to the topic therefore I'm deleting them. If you want to talk about those things we have rant and thinking threads.

why berto? Is it the scars you want to know how i got them my stepfather a mean spirited fat bastard goes on one of his rage rampages and beats up my dog hiding from me while he does it so i grab the kitchen knife and i say to him why so serious and high then after he is hurt i do this to my face so my mother woulnt be afraid of me and guess what now she hates my face and wants me dead so i can look like her son again after death

Kurisu

Bunny mom
Well, I enjoyed the movie even though it was not one of my favs, I must say I like Shuri more than T'Challa though. The secondary characters felt more important than him to be honest. Still, good movie. Also points up for "White Wolf".

Teal

@Kurisu

Now that you mention it, it is definitely worth noting that the movie is not the best introduction for the character of T'Challa. Up until he tells his ancestors to gtfo and takes matters into his own hands, his role in the narrative is purely reactionary. He tries way too hard to stick to the traditional, cookie-cutter strategy of governing Wakanda that he doesn't even have a mind of his own. There are easily four or five characters that are more interesting than him up until that point, which is not to undermine T'Challa's arc - on the contrary, actually - it simply speaks volumes about the quality of writing and overall character development in this movie.

To someone who hasn't seen a MCU film in their life and wants a quick introduction to the character of Black Panther, I'd much rather suggest they watch Civil War instead of this movie. That's where he's at his most ferocious.

Top Bottom