• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

BioShock Infinite Review (PS3)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Story

BioShock-Infinite_2013_01-08-13_002.jpg
Save Elizabeth to pay off Booker's debts.

This game takes place in 1912, where Booker DeWitt is the main character. In order to resolve his debts, he needs to find a girl by the name of Elizabeth in the floating city called Columbia. He managed to save her, but Booker will find several complications and mysteries upon saving her.

I can't spoil the story much since the story is very, very good. Also, the story is best left unspoiled to those who have not played the game yet. The game has very good plot twists and surprising revelations, as well as a mindblowing ending. The story also tackles some issues like racism, which was a problem back in the early 1900s. The ending could be confusing to some people, but may makes sense to others.

The characters in this game are pretty well-developed, such as Booker, Elizabeth, Lady Comstock, Comstock, and the two mysterious people who kept appearing to Booker and Elizabeth. I find that Eliazbeth's personality is the most interesting compared to rest, with Booker's serious personality that contrasts Elizabeth's naivety perfectly in the game. However, I find myself a bit hard to relate to Booker since we will never see him in full-flesh except in the ending Chapters. In a way, this makes sense since this game is played in first view perspective.

Gameplay

BioShock-Infinite_2012_10-22-12_003.jpg
Explore Columbia for supplies and breathtaking sceneries.

This game is played in first perspective view. As you all may have known, you will need to explore Columbia and go to different places to meet your objective, such as meeting someone or go to a location. Since the game's world is big, you can always explore around for supplies, or you can just enjoy the scenery in the game. You can loot stuffs from dead bodies, or available containers in the game such as trashcans. As you play in the game, you will progress by running or using the skylines.

Game progression is quite linear, since you can always check for your objectives in the game's menu or go to the marker by pressing the Up Directional Button. Since the game world is quite big and you might get lost in while exploring, it is advisable for you to check your marker constantly to know which place you need to go next. In some areas, you might need to use lockpicks to open doors. To do so, you need Elizabeth's help. In some doors, you may need to spend a certain amount of lockcpicks. Behind these doors, you will usually find some supplies or certain collectables.

As you play in the game, you may come across to optional Quests. These Quests are optional to do, but will reward you greatly such as money and Infusion Upgrades. It is recommended to complete these Quests especially if you are playing harder difficulties.

BioShock-Infinite_2013_01-08-13_001.jpg
Equip different weapons to decimate your enemies.

In combat, you will fight human enemies such as polices, armed guards, and etc. You can use a variety of weapons to fight them off, such as Pistol, Machine Gun, Sniper Rifle, and other weapons. As any shooter fans, each weapons have their own pros and cons, such as higher fire power, limited ammo, and other factors. Depending on your playstyle, you might want to stick to two of your favourite weapons in the whole game. You can only equip two weapons in the game, and you can swap weapons with weapons dropped by enemies or weapons available at specific locations. You can also use melee attacks to fight off enemies if you have run out of ammo.
There are several types of regular enemies, such as pistol-wielding enemies, RPG-wielding enemies, and others. As you progress in the game, you will need to fight more powerful enemies called Heavy Hitters. They can deal you higher damage and takes longer to be killed. There are few variety of Heavy Hitters such as Fireman and Handyman, and they require certain strategy to beat them efficiently.

Throughout the game, Elizabeth will accompany you most of the time. She is a very helpful ally, and she will occasionally provide you money outside of combat zone, and occasionally provide supplies such as ammo, Health Kits, or Salts during combat. If you die in combat, you will be revived at the expense of some money. However, if you have run out of money upon dying, it will be game over for you. Technically, you will not die in this game if you have a lot of money like the Prince of Persia 2008 game. However, there IS a Game Over for you in this game unlike Prince of Persia 2008 game. Be mindful if you die in combat, enemies will recover some health. However in 1999 Mode, they will recover full health if you die in combat upon revival. You can also ask Elizabeth to open Tears to spawn weapons, recovery items, or allies to fight off enemies. Make use of these Tears in combat to fight them easily.

In addition to weapons, you have access to Vigors. Vigors are powerful magical abilities that allow you to defeat enemies more efficiently. In order to use Vigors, you need to spend Salts, which is the MP (Magic Points) version of this game. There are different types of Vigors in this game, such as a Vigor that allows you to turn enemies into temporary allies, a Vigor that allows you to throw fireballs, and other useful Vigors. All Vigors in this game have some sort of alternate usage, such as setting a fireball trap using Devil's Kiss Vigor. It is best to experiment which Vigors that you like in combat since each Vigor in the game can function effectively in combat.

BioShock-Infinite_2013_03-14-13_002.jpg
Upgrade your weapons and Vigors, or buy supplies from the Vending Machines.

As you play on in the game, you can upgrade your weapons or Vigors by spending Silver Eagles (in-game's currency). You can find Silver Eagles by looting enemies or stuffs, or given by Elizabeth. You can upgrade a weapon's stats such damage, reload speed, and others. Most of the upgrades are expensive, so you need to spend your money wisely. You may also buy Vigor upgrades to increase their effectiveness. It is recommended for you to buy upgrades to Vigors that you like most, since the Vigor upgrades are expensive.

Throughout the game, you can find stat upgrades called Infusions. By finding an Infusion upgrade, you can either increase your Health, Salts or Shield stat by one point. You can only increase a stat by ten times, and you need to spend it on other two stats. Usually you can find Infusions in lockpicked areas or by doing Optional Quests. You may also find accessories called Gears to gain extra bonuses, such as increased critical hit damage, auto-reload, and others. Gears can be find thoughout the game in certain secret areas.

BioShock-Infinite_2013_02-18-13_001.jpg
Good gameplay, with some minor complaints.
The gameplay is good, but I felt is a bit underwhelmed compared to other shooters. This game lacks interesting puzzles, since that would have make the game more interesting than generic first person shooter games. The combat is solid, but felt a bit repetitive since the game lacks true boss fights or more variety of enemies. Due to these two factors, the game progression feels a bit more linear than usual. Since the game has many chapters, you will find yourself more immersed to the game's storyline than the combat.

Graphics

BioShock-Infinite_2013_01-31-13_003.jpg
Nice looking graphics, with some minor screentearing issues.

The graphics are great, with nice looking environments and great looking characters that reflect the early 1900 era. The atmosphere, the buildings, and others are truly well-designed.

Unfortunately, the PS3 version suffers minor screentearing issues. It is not gamebreaking, but noticeable when there is a high activity on screen, such as explosions and stuff. Other than that, there are no bugs and glitches that I find in the game so far.

Sound

BioShock-Infinite_2013_02-19-13_001.jpg
Good voice acting and great music.

The soundtrack is still composed by Garry Schyman, who composed the music for previous BioShock games. I like the music, since it is quite fitting to the game's timeline and atmosphere. My favourite is perhaps the end credits song, Will the Circle be Unbroken. This song is singed by Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth's voice actor), with the guitar played by Troy Baker (Booker's voice actor). I like the lyrics, and it is especially feels relaxing. A very simple song, but with good lyrics.

The voice acting is pretty good, but with some notable voice actors like Troy Baker, Jennifer Hale, Laura Bailey, and others. This is also Courtnee Draper's first voice acting role, and I find that her performance is memorable as well. I was a bit surprised that Jennifer Hale voiced her character with British accent, which is awesome. Then again, I totally forgotten that she did voice Naomi Hunter in the first Metal Gear Solid game with British accent.

Replay Value

BioShock-Infinite_2012_12-07-12_001.jpg
Low replay value. Play the original BioShock game if you have the PS3 version.

I can't say that this game has enough replay value, since it doesn't have much unlockable content. I personally perceive this game as a one-time-playing game, unless you want to tackle harder difficulty modes like 1999 Mode, collect Voxophones and other stuffs, or attempt to get all the Trophies (PS3) or the Achievements (PS3) in the game. Still, I am glad this game does not have multiplayer, since it will surely deviate or dampens the game's positive factors in many ways, especially the story.

Conclusion

BioShock-Infinite_2012_12-07-12_003.jpg
A beautiful and great game marred by some problems.

This is my first FPS game since 2011, and I like this game a lot due to it's extremely well-told story,excellent realisation of Columbia's world, nice graphics, good voice acting, and great characters. However, the game suffers some issues, like minor generic combat, low replay value, linear progression, screentearing issues, and etc. If you look past the flaws, I feel that this game is good in many of it's own ways. However, it is hard to justify whether it is wise to buy the game in it's full price, due to it's low replay value. Fortunately for PS3 owners, they will get the first BioShock game included with this game, which may justify the full price of the game despite the low replay value. The playthrough will last about 15 hours, depending on your own gaming skills. Unless you want to play harder difficulty modes like 1999 Mode, it will add more playing time. Despite it's flaws, this game is still great in my books, and I felt that is has one of the best written storyline in the history of games. I highly recommend you to purchase this game when it is cheap enough to justify a 15 hour playthrough game, unless you are a BioShock fan. Also, you might want to rent the game first if you are afraid to spend a lot of money in buying it.

Score

Story: 10/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Graphics: 8/10
Sound: 9/10

Final Score: 8.5/10 or 34/40

Pros and Cons

Pros
- Extremely well-written storyline.
- Full of good plot twists.
- Great characters.
- Well-realised game world of Columbia.
- Elizabeth is a helpful and important in both combat as well as story.
- Good voice acting.
- Full of explorable areas.
- Vigors are awesome to use.
- Fluid and smooth combat.
- Upgrades make you feel noticeably powerful compared to regular games.
- Many epic and breathtaking scenes.
- Nice graphics.
- Good music.
- Great voice acting.
- PS3 version includes the original BioShock game.

Cons
- Ending may cause some people to be baffled.
- Gun combat may feel generic.
- Linear progression without much challenges.
- Lack of puzzles.
- Lack of true boss fights.
- Minor screentearing issues.
- Low replay value.
- Lack of much unlockable content.

Meg

Do you think that the combat in infinite is a downgrade compared to the previous Bioshocks?
I can answer. :)

It's smoother in the new game, but there were a couple things I liked more about the first game. Overall, it's about the same.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Do you think that the combat in infinite is a downgrade compared to the previous Bioshocks?

Id say the combat is better in Infinite (played them all), the ability to jump & hook onto things & slide on rails is a great addition that works brilliantly. Chaining it all together is easy & a joy when you set traps & seamlessly take out large groups of enemies. Id go as far as to say im enjoying Infinite even more than the others currently gameplay wise.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I gotta say this review has tempted me to rent this game, I haven't felt that feeling in a while. Great coverage CR, your details about the weapons and Vigors is what caught my eye as well as the area this game takes place in. It gives a FF type world vibe.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I can answer. :)

It's smoother in the new game, but there were a couple things I liked more about the first game. Overall, it's about the same.
Id say the combat is better in Infinite (played them all), the ability to jump & hook onto things & slide on rails is a great addition that works brilliantly. Chaining it all together is easy & a joy when you set traps & seamlessly take out large groups of enemies. Id go as far as to say im enjoying Infinite even more than the others currently gameplay wise.
I feel that the previous bioshocks had a more tactical feel to them while Infinite is more of a straight up shooter.

Frazz

General gamer
Good review however I disagree with the generic gunplay comment but that is just my opinion. For Bioshock fans I'd recommend this as for me it was 9.8/10!:)

Dark Drakan

Admin
I feel that the previous bioshocks had a more tactical feel to them while Infinite is more of a straight up shooter.

I guess in parts as there were more instances of puddles for electric attacks & oil for flame traps & so far more things you could set traps with. However I tended to stick to the best ones & not vary weapons much, in this Bioshock im constantly juggling weapons & using a good variety of Vigours (again so far as im only around 5 hours in). You have more freedom in movement in this one so can play more like a shooter with you being able to jump, hook, slide & get Elizabeth to throw you ammo, generate cover at times etc so dont have to be AS careful with using powers & ammo. That said im enjoying the combat in this much more as it feels a lot less rigid.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
I liked a lot of the mechanics of Infinite, admittedly the previous Bioshocks had a more explicit tactical vibe, the tears often provided fun alterations to exploit, the vigours were pretty broken I'll admit, in comparison to the majority of plasmids attained in the earlier games. The game was less claustrophobic, the open areas were utilised in a strategically different way to the trap set-ups inherent of the claustrophobic areas of 1 & 2. 1 & 2 were about largely utilising the environment to trap and dispatch enemies using hazards that were more or less omnipresent while infinite was about positioning yourself strategically to get the jump (sometimes literally) on your enemies, sometimes bypassing them all together.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
1st screenshot of Booker: Machinegun
2nd screenshot of Booker: Burstgun
3rd screenshot of Booker: Pistol

Thank you for the info cuz I was wondering what does guns were too. But I was wondering about the gun he's holding in the game box cover. Sorry I should've beenmore clear.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I love the look of Infinite but because it's fps... I wouldn't play it.
I have heard that there is a little bit of racism in it but apparently that I expected for the time that the game is set in.

Great Review Chaos Raiden. If I didn't get so ill playing FPS, I'd definitely get it.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Possibly the Shotgun weapon in the game, also known as China Broom.

Sorry for the double post CR but after watching a walkthrough of the game on Youtube. (The player was HassanAlHajry) I was blown away by the game. I got teary when the one who soars met his match at the bottom of the cold. (I used this cryptic sentence to keep from giving away story line) How did you feel about the story? The tears and their goddess as I call her. The ending left me disturbed, "did anything get done? Is this a happy ending for Booker?"
That damn debt.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Got to say, after you play it once, you want to go back and play it again because little details, such as words being said, make a lot more sense once you know the ending.

Reactions: Meg

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Sorry for the double post CR but after watching a walkthrough of the game on Youtube. (The player was HassanAlHajry) I was blown away by the game. I got teary when the one who soars met his match at the bottom of the cold. (I used this cryptic sentence to keep from giving away story line) How did you feel about the story? The tears and their goddess as I call her. The ending left me disturbed, "did anything get done? Is this a happy ending for Booker?"
That damn debt.

I feel that this game's story is very well-told and well-scripted. It is hard not to feel bad about things happening in the game, especially when you are playing the last chapter. The game's plot twists can be a bit confusing, especially if you have not watch much time-travel movies like Back to the Future movies or time-travel games.

In many ways, the ending is left to the player's interpretation. It can be either bad or good. However, I believe that the game has happy ending.

There are not much games that have good storylines this year. I predict that The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls may have radical and mindblowing stories that can compete BioShock Infinite's story, but I will reserve my judgement until I play both games when they are released.

Top Bottom