• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bethesda Releases Daggerfall For Free.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Now, I found this cropping up in another forum I frequent, and I think it's well worth sharing with you lot here.

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda have released Daggerfall, the second game in the series, for absolutely free, if you've never tried an Elder Scrolls game before Morrowind, or, and I won't kill you for admitting it, Oblivion, then this is your chance to try out an old piece of Bethesda history in an entirely free and legal fashion, as the company themselves have released the game to download for free.

No strings attached whatsoever, they're only being consistant, as they released a free download for The Elder Scrolls: Arena, on their 10th anniversary, though Daggerfall comes with some issues that you may want to be aware of.

This game came out in 1996, which means that it's not exactly the prettiest looking thing out there, though it's certainly not without its retro charm. That's not really the issue, though. Bethesda is releasing the game as it is, and they're not going to tinker with the game to make sure it runs compatibly with modern operating systems. They don't have plans to support the release with any customer support either (though I'm sure you'll find people in the Elder Scrolls community to be helpful if you need it).

So, you need to run it in an emulator to get it to work, Bethesda has kindly supplied a link to the emulator known as DosBOX, which apparently works a treat with Daggerfall, and you should certainly read through the very detailed instructions that Bethsda's Mike Mazzuca put together for installing and running the game.

All in all, if you're new to this sort of thing, it'll take a bit of work to get it to run, but if all the "old school" Elder Scrolls fans are right, then this should certainly be worth all the effort.

Appropriate links below.
Bethesda Blog, Official Daggerfall Announcement.
The download page itself.
Daggerfall Help & Installation PDF.
DoxBOX emulator main site.

Please note that this is all entirely FREE and LEGAL, so there's no need to worry about anything dodgy coming your way from this.

cosmic master

The Eternal Insomniac
I'm ashamed to admit I've never played any Elder Scrolls game :(. Was gonna get it on PS3 until it died on me. Anyway you can't argue with free, gonna download it now. Thanks for the link ;)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Very generous of them and ive used DosBOX before, its a handy little tool i have to say.

aka958

Don't trust people
o_O for free?! EPIC!
And i started The Elder Scrolls series with Oblivion and never played any other one of them. But even if it is for free i don't really trust internet with it's viruses everywhere.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
^ Downloading things isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be. :lol:

It's an official download from Bethesda, hosted on their servers, if you have a decent anti-virus protection system too, you're not gonna get a virus.

Dark Drakan

Admin
aka958;180030 said:
o_O for free?! EPIC!
And i started The Elder Scrolls series with Oblivion and never played any other one of them. But even if it is for free i don't really trust internet with it's viruses everywhere.

If the places you download things from is official then viruses are very rare. In my 12 years of Internet browsing ive never had a major virus and i download a lot. Just make sure the sources are reputable first.

aka958

Don't trust people
Ye i know that but i still don't like downloading stuff from internet.
Maybe when i get the guts it will be mine!

Keaton

Premium
@Mr. Credo: Is this offer going to expire? Or will be downloads be made active indefinatly? I ask because I have no connection at home atm, and I probably should download it at work (although if I arrive early enough I will have the internet speed of around 25 Computers :D)

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
^ @Keaton.
It's indefinite, 5 years ago, Bethesda did exactly the same thing with The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and it's still avaliable for download today. ^_^

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
I can't get this to run.

I installed the emulator and the file but it isn't working.

I have clicked on like 4 things that say "install" with no luck here.

What do I do?

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^What installation pdf?

I looked thru everything it gave me so far and no hint as to what to do with this mess of files.

I have downloaded games like this before too, this is the first to give me this kind of problem.

Its the game by the way, not the emulator.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
^ The installation PDF I provided in the first post.

If you have read through it and none of it solves your problems, I'll dig around for more information about it and see what I can find.

Top Bottom