• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Best Live Action Superman

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
So since I did a list for Batman (or two), it's only fair I do one for Superman too. Though I wont have quite as much to say, I'm not as big of a fan of Superman as I am of Batman. But I'll give it a shot.
Also please note, as I've never seen Lois and Clark, Dean Cain will not be on MY personal list. And same rules as previous, keep it to live-action.
So my list, worst to best

-brandon-routh--superman--brandon-routh-284997_275_400.jpg

Now I don't hate Brandon Routh in any way, I'm one of the few people who thought Superman Returns was decent (though not great). But imo, he felt not so much like he was playing Superman...Rather he felt like he was playing Christopher Reeve playing Superman.
It just felt like an imitation to me.

batman-vs-superman-comic-con-trailer-dawn-of-justice47.02-PM.jpg

I put Henry Cavil above Brandon Routh because to me, he feels like he atleast made the role his own. Though I do wish we got to see him be a bit more upbeat, but that has more to do with how the new movies characterize him.

smallville_2009_6.jpg

Then there's Tom Welling (yeah what can I say, it's a simple look, but blame Blade, Spike, and the Crow, cause I love the all black, long coat look lol).
We see Tom's Clark Kent start off as an unsure kid, trying to find his place in the world, to growing up and embracing his role as a hero.
Honestly, I was a little disappointed that they didn't have him in Man of Steel, when I knew it was coming out the year after Smallville ended, I thought it was the perfect launching pad for a new film series. But that's just my opinion.

111746574-jpg.jpg

Yeah, imo, his movies are a bit dated. But one thing that doesn't change, Christopher Reeve is Superman. His performance is absolutely perfect for the character. Too Superman being the big blue boy scout, to Clark Kent being a goofy wimp.
Close to 40 years later, he's yet to be beat.
So that was my list, what's yours?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I really liked Lois & Clark: The new adventures of Superman. I never saw the adventures of Superman with George Reeves, though.

I can't really remember Smallville that much. I'd definitely put Henry Cavill over Brandon Routh.

I guess my list would be something like;

1: Dean Cain
2: Christopher Reeves
3: Henry Cavill
4: Tom Welling
5: Brandon Routh

I can't place George Reeves anywhere because I didn't watch his take on Superman.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I'm going to go with Christopher Reeves.

If you asked me this question a couple of years before, I'd say Cavill, but I've seen BvS so....no.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You know, it's kind of a shame because with better direction and script, Henry Cavill COULD be a great Superman. Hell, the entire cast in those movies could deliver amazing performances, but they just don't have good material to work with.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Worse to Best
  • John Haymes Newton: Maybe it's the cringes of how he delivers the supes bravado, but...I just don't like him.
  • Brandon Roth: Obsessive, a bit of an egotist, and all in all not what I want out of a Superman.
  • Gerard Christopher: Just don't see Superman in him. Possibly because he's not as big as the comic book Superman.
  • Dean Cain: Not the worst, but he did pretty well.
  • Tom Welling: I really liked the CW series for Clark and exploring more of how Clark came to be Superman rather then it just being about Superman.
  • Christopher Reeves: Pretty much definitive Superman. The perfect boyscoutt who protects all. It was good....for its time. Now I just roll my eyes to it all. Still a great Superman though.
  • George Reeves: Now THIS is MY definitive Superman. This Superman was the one I use to watch as a kid back when I didn't have cable. He was my first gateway into Superman and has still stood as my most favorite Superman.
  • Henry Cavil: I don't care what anyone says. Henry Cavil was just the best Superman. Better then Reeves and even my original George Reeves favorite. With this Superman, they made him different from the usual boyscoutt who does no wrong. This Superman has issues, he suffers from depression, he's still trying to find his calling, and he's not at all perfect. One of the reasons I fell so out of love with Superman in the past was because he always acted the same in every movie: perfect boyscoutt who does no wrong and follows the usual white man's interpretation of the "American Way" sensibilities of no one questioning whether or not he belongs. MoS and BvS did something new in that, it questioned if Superman is right for the world or not, which was something I enjoyed seeing for one with Superman. Plus Henry actually looks like Superman, has a better costume, and all in all, I just consider him a great evolution to the Superman character.

Top Bottom