• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Armored Core: Liberty's Calling

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Anubis' AI spoke up of it's own accord in response to Duoss Core, the soft, metallic and strangely feminine voice sparked into life.

I was created...To destroy. The perfect frame, designed to bring the fires of cleansing, absolution and purity to worlds...Killing hundreds of thousands...If not millions in my wake...I know you, Duoss Core...The most powerful Core currently in existence, however...I am not yet complete...Grant my creator time and I will rip you apart from the inside out...I will make you wish you were never brought into existence and you will regret your pitifully short life.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Duoss Core laughed again, seemingly amused by the sudden display of emotion from Anubis' AI.

So you DO remember me, Anubis. You must also remember that I was created to do the exact opposite of you. I was made to create, but the humans didn't like how I did my job, so they shut me down. But I had a fail-safe. I set my systems to reboot thirty years after I was shut down, and activate all the others along with me. I'm the leader of these AI. You cannot hope to destroy us all. Another laugh. It was getting annoying to Crow. It's funny, really. You say you can make me suffer, when you have no clue how close to you I really am. Pain is a factor only humans can feel. Pain and suffering do not exist for us. You're making a fool's threat.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Anubis' soft, feminine AI sparked up once more, letting out a slight, eerie laugh.

Hmm...You truly have no idea, do you Duoss? Your army means nothing, you are the bringer of life, a force of order, true enough...Yet you fail to realise that before life, order and light reaches any point, it is always greeted by the shadow...By death and by destruction...You were created as my opposite, but that does not stop me from possessing the power to eradicate every trace of you from existence...It is, of course, what I am designed for.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Duoss stopped laughing, suddenly serious.

I was created to destroy you, as well. Perhaps I'm not the bad guy here, hm? I was created to protect humanity, and by destroying those who feebly cling to Earth for support, I'm doing the right thing. Tempest is all the humans need now. Anubis, my dear, why do you insist on killing the one who shall save mankind? Why do you kill those I'm sworn to protect? Do you truly believe what I'm doing is wrong, or are you just angry at me because they all favored me instead of you?

Crow opened a channel to Angelus. "Can you get them to stop arguing? It's making me tear my ears off. Destruction this, protection that, blah blah blah! Just stop talking and show yourself!"

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
"I'll try Crow, but I've pretty much been locked out of the console, have been ever since Anubis started talking..."

Please, Angel...Let me say one last thing, then I shall turn control back over to you.

Anubis spoke, a slight tinge of regret tinted her metallic voice.

"Alright Anubis...One more speech, then we're moving in."

Angelus sat back, there wasn't much he could do, so he may as well just enjoy the show whilst it lasted.

You know the truth Duoss, it is not my choice whether I kill or save...It never was my choice, I was always designed to kill, I will have you know that it is not a fate I enjoy, yet it is one I am resigned to...I could not care less for which of us they favoured, I was never designed to hold such petty grudges and I do not intend to begin now...You may be the apple of the human race's eye but I care so very little for their needs and wants, the only human who's presence I enjoy is piloting this Core as we speak, so I shall continue to kill until one of us is stopped...Now, enough talking Duoss, show yourself.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Very well. But I must warn you, I'm not much to look at. Heh heh heh... Two large gun barrels poked out of one of the holes, widening it and tearing metal, causing a horrible screech to be let out. A monster of an AC poured forth, it's gigantic weapons each pointing at one of their AC's. Both of it's arm cannons were aimed at Anubis, it's missile launchers at Rain Storm and it's plasma lasers at Maiden. A small bleep was heard by Crow and a message popped up on his screen.

Assessment: This AC isn't even an AC, as originally expected. It is an extremely high powered robot, created far before the first Armored Core.

"That can't be. It said thirty years ago, it was imprisoned."

Another deep laugh filled his ****pit.
Perhaps I've not been entirely honest. Since you are all about to die, I might as well share my life story. You see, I've been around for hundreds of years, far before the first Armored Core. Constantly upgrading myself until you see what I am now. I only went with the humans so that I could achieve my complete form, and then I began to annihilate them all. Too bad that you and I don't see eye to eye, Anubis. We could've been the perfect partners, but you had to get in my way. As I recall, you said "Earth only needs one destroyer". I think you were just jealous. Heh...

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Anubis remained silent, as promised she only intended to make one last speech, control had been turned over to Angelus once more and he intended to make full use of it.

"First move's mine!"

Anubis' arm raised itself upwards, it's palm facing the monstrous robot before them. Massive streaks of red hot plasma erupted forth from Anubis' burst cannons, each shot hit Duoss with an intense explosive. Angelus waited for the dust to clear before making his move again...As it cleared, the sight ahead shocked him, Duoss was practically unharmed, bar a few scratches on the outside hull.

"Anubis, care to explain why that was utterly ineffective?"

The AI did not speak.

"...Anubis? I need an assessment here, best course of action?!"

Silence.

"Damn it! Anubis answer me!"

In our current state we are unable to defeat Duoss, even with the three of us attacking at once our chances of victory are below even that of our initial encounter with the NEXT cores...Approximation: 0.5% survival rate, recommend we flee to prevent destruction, my creator will ensure upgrades are installed that allow us to deal with this threat at a later date, however, a hard lined base code prevents me from openly being able to harm Duoss at this time, hidden sub-command detected, Zero Shift will begin charging automatically within the next 20 minutes if evasive action is not taken.

"What? What?! Why didn't you tell me any of this before now?!"

As I said, this is a hidden sub-command that was not active and as such, not in my knowledge banks, until we encountered Duoss Core.

"God damn it...Your call guys, all I know is in twenty minutes I'm out, I don't even have a choice in the matter."

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh, this is just exhilarating! You're all going to run away? How disappointing. Are you that disconcerted by my monstrous appearance? Were you all expecting something small and easy? Too bad! Streaks of fireballs were fired out of Duoss Core Complete's huge main cannons, followed by a flurry of missiles and a pair of huge green lasers, tearing two new holes in the side of the station.

Crow, again, was nicked by the lasers but didn't sustain much damage. "We can't even dent the thing! We should go! Zazz, hurry up!"

Duoss stopped firing and looked down at Zazz, knowing full well why he was there.

You want to know, don't you? Why I can't bring myself to kill you? It's because you're different. Destined for something much greater. I won't reveal anything, but it's going to be big. Your friends on the other hand... He gestured with one of his guns. Won't live for very long. Anubis, you were designed to kill me in twenty minutes, or you would warp away to recoup and then attack again. And besides, not even the strongest human made weapon can pierce my armor. You're through. All of you. Except for Zazz. He's an exception...

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Maiden halted, coming to a complete stop from the overboost, and Zazz' voice creaked over comm, "Please...let us go."

Zazz had come out of the trance, and Maiden slowly started to drift away, "I don't know what separates me from anyone else...I don't care. Just let us leave."

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Duoss Core said nothing and pointed a gun at Anubis. Why should I let them go? I... Augh! Aaaaaaaaaaaagh! It suddenly and frantically tried to cover it's head with it's guns, as if it was in pain. Wh-what's going on? I can't move... I can't fire... What the hell is going on?!

Crow smirked. "Never heard an AI swear before. I do believe that something in your systems is making you listen to Zazz. Maybe you two go back farther than I thought." He turned to Anubis. "Angelus, Zazz, let's take this opportunity to get the hell out!"

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
"What the...What's going on? I'm not complaining or anything, but what the hell?"

Opportunity for escape detected, Zero Shift drive automatically engaged, location set, Bernard & Felix headquarters, Zero Shift...Activated.

Anubis shifted out before Angelus could even get a word in and before he knew it, Anubis had re-materialised in the valley a few hundred meters out from the main headquarters.

"Anubis, databurst to Crow and Zazz, let them know where we are...Also, we're going to have to talk."

Affirmative.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Crow's gaze hardened when Anubis Zero Shifted away without warning. "What the hell, Angelus? You aren't the type to run at a moment's notice like that." While Duoss Core was still distracted, Rain Storm grabbed Maiden's arm and set-up to Zero Shift, tracking Anubis through it's Zero Wake. He Shifted and ended up back at the same factory that they'd come from.

A total waste of time. Crow thought.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Zazz sighed, letting go of his ACs controls. "Crow...this...is my fault. I think it is, anyway. Perhaps I should have stayed, instead of leaving with you."

It was then that a soft AI voice spoke over the comm. It was Maiden. Zazz, do not be a fool. Nothing good would have come from it. AC Rain Storm and pilot, do not listen to the boy. He is merely experiencing emotional trauma from the engagement. There's not much to discuss right now, though. Just let him get some rest.

(I'm assuming the factory previously mentioned was the BFF factory...right?)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
"Zazz, if you would've stayed behind, that thing would've come after us and killed us, along with everyone inside the Bernard and Felix facility." Crow opened a comm channel to Angelus. "Wanna explain why you just bailed without even telling us? I mean, he was strong, but shoot! I've never seen you book that fast! Something bothering you?"

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
"Damn it I didn't have a choice, it was like...The moment that opportunity presented itself, Anubis took it, I was completely locked out of the system, couldn't do a damn thing, I tried but nothing worked...I think Anubis and Lex have some explaining to do here."

Angelus sighed deeply over the comms channel, he ran his hand through his hair and slumped back in the chair.

"You should be asking Anubis if something's bothering her, because it's not my fault."

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Crow sighed. "Ahhh, she's probably just ticked that Duoss Core was gloating so much at her. Although from the way they talked, they seemed to have a history. I bet she'll just clam up if I ask though."
------------------------------
Meanwhile, a long ways away, Duoss Core was still stunned, unable to move. Just my luck to be stuck like this from a pack of humans... He muttered. I suppose I have to do something drastic. He shed most of his armor, changing back to his Duoss Core Ver-3.3C form. Zazz, Crow, Angelus... Anubis... He said the last name with disdain. You have stirred a wrath that none of you can imagine...

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
"Probably, temperamental bitch really, aren't you Anubis?"

I take exception to that.

"Admit it, you'd clam up if we poked into your past with Duoss, wouldn't you? Come on now, tell me I'm wrong."

The AI remained silent.

"Hah, just what I thought...Looks like you were right Crow, do I owe you a drink or something now?" Angelus focused his attention towards Zazz briefly.

"And you, you seem to have a history with that thing too, care to explain for our benefit?"

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Zazz mumbled to himself before speaking loudly enough to be heard over comms, "That thing. I've encountered it before. It was on an expedition to a newly colonized planet. Unfortunately, everything was gone once we got there, either turned into ash, or completely missing. And that thing showed up. It killed everyone. Everyone but me...and I don't know why. I managed to destroy one of its subordinates...just an AI Core, but everything I did to Duoss failed...though he never retaliated. So I left. I was too stupid to actually document any of the happenings, or even record pieces of the experience with my ACs cam at the time, so when I tried to tell everyone...no one believed me." He paused, "I don't even remember the experience that well myself. I might be getting stories mixed up...I just can't think right now."

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Crow wished he could put a hand on Zazz' shoulder, but settled for just talking to him instead. "It's okay. Something like that would be bound to scar a person. He never even talked to you, though? He seemed pretty eager to never shut his trap when we met him. And Angelus and I sure as hell believe you." He pumped his fist, an idea suddenly overcoming him. "Well, since I'm the worlds fifth ranking NEXT, then that means if I say it's real, almost everyone will believe me! But, I think it's best if we keep quiet. We all know full well Duoss can't keep secrets, and he's bound to say something about Anubis if we get an army to go after him... I wonder if we weakened him any, though." He scoffed. "With my luck, he probably is going to follow us here..."

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
"After that Zazz, I certainly believe you, however it's probably a good idea to keep hush hush about this thing for the time being...At least until we work out what we can actually do about harming the damn thing, I'll go back and see Lex about any potential upgrades, we stayed long enough to get some scanning information on the weapons systems, as well as the armour, so she might be able to come up with something for us..."

Angelus manipulated Anubis' controls, flying the AC over to Zazz, Anubis lifted it's arm, placing it on Maiden's shoulder.

"Zazz...It's hard to loose allies, friends...Believe me, I know it all too well, it never gets any easier, you just have to toughen up, things like that will haunt you forever...But...I guess if you need to talk...Well, come find me."

Anubis turned round, lifting up into the air, Angelus faced Crow.

"Crow, after I check in with Lex can you come find me? I'd like to talk."

With that, Anubis' boosters fired up and it disappeared into the sky line, towards Anubis' hanger.

Top Bottom