• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

are hd remakes necessary?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
just a thought. i personally don't believe so, mainly because, you're getting the same exact game but with updated graphics. and really, how much extra would it cost to just buy the original game and the original platform. might cost the same or less as the actual game itself. but thats my argument. any other thoughts?

berto

I Saw the Devil
A little. It's not about the graphics as much as it been about the games and the council they are in.

Some games are worth playing again but for any of us it's playing them for the first time without having to pay that huge amount of money to do it. Take the Ico HD Collection. I had Ico a long time ago and I wanted to play it again along with the Shadow of the Colossus but Ico got pretty expensive before the HD collection was announced and finding SoC wasn't that easy either. Top that with the fact that very few people still have the PS2 to run them in (I do still have a PS2) and this is the perfect venue for a lot of us that want to relive the games or try them out for the first time.

Another thing is that I have an inexpensive HDTV which for it's low price I got no RCA component ports and only two HDMI ports. Finding an old TV isn't hard but it is pretty unreasonable to demand someone go get a big fat TV just so that they can play a PS2 game for which they also have to go find new furniture for.

One way to settle this would be to reinstate backwards compatibility but i honestly don't know why Sony and Microsoft are allergic to this idea. This lead to a raise of modding. I could, right now, download any PS2 game, an emulator, and boost the graphics and textures with minimum hassle or issues that would look better than the standard HD remake and run it on my computer which has a pretty decent graphics card.

It's how we stand right now. Those of us who are interested in old games can either pirate, pay a ridiculous amount of money to play these games, or just wait for an HD remake that may never come. Sony has a decent PS2 game section in their digital Classics section but it's not a fraction of the best the PS2 had to offer, or even the crap games we played and still liked. It's a good start but when the original library was so grand this seems anemic by contrast.

Another positive aspect of the HD remake is that introduces these games to people who've never had a chance to play them and might never have otherwise. We know that they wouldn't even give them a second look were they old looking game where the graphics are outdated and it might turn into a gateway game to show them what other generations had to offer.

So, it's not all bad, but it is with its drawbacks, I agree, especially because there could be access to a plethora of games available to us if only there was a way to play them via the makers. The Sony still hasn't told us how the backward compatibility promise for the PS4 is going so I'm a bit sad about that.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Depends, if they are merely the same just with HD textures & increased resolution then no but when they include all DLC/new areas and content and reduce load times as well as other technology upgrades then yeah why not.

KRSkull

Well lets look at it this way. For video game companies (from a financially point of view) taking a game that already exist and upgrading it. is much better than making a game from scratch. As for gamers Berto and Dark Drakan have already talked about that.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
You're talking about remasters, not remakes.
No, they're not necessary, but that's not the point of HD remasters. The point is that developers want new generations of gamers to get a chance to play their old games. They want feedback on what they're doing right or wrong, and HD remasters give gamers a taste of the old games, so that they can give more complete feedback on the new games. Most gamers nowadays won't buy old games if they have to play them on old consoles. They don't have the space or money to buy old consoles just to play one or two classics.
I myself am very glad that Resident Evil 1 is being remastered for a 2015 release. I never played RE1, and I don't have a PlayStation 1 or a GameCube. It's possible that a friend of mine has a GameCube, but I don't think he has RE1. Even if he did, it would look terrible on my LED TV, so I'd rather buy the remaster, which doesn't blur the graphics but sharpens them slightly.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
That said, I do realize you can emulate most games on your PC, but playing it with accurate graphics, and a controller, might still hold some kind of sentimental value. Besides, developers want to see how popular their old games are, so they can get a feel of where the market is. Moreover, developers don't want people to have to pirate their games, as they (and some players) don't support pirating. So that's another reason for them to make them available for purchase on new platforms.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I wouldn't think so because I still have most of the games they usually remake and just a new paint job isn't enough for buying it again. Only if it's actually some deal or worth it. Like Shadow of The Colossus comes with Ico and does look really good and the MGS HD remake comes with multiple games like Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well, if you were in possession of all Metal Gear Solid games, you would not really need the MGS HD Collection either. Like I said, HD remakes are not necessary - they are mainly meant for the people who never got the chance to play the original versions, and would otherwise pirate them.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
just a thought.
Yes.

I mean, if it's a game I like and they do a good job, then sure.

For example: At first, I was annoyed when they remastered the PoP series -- now, I think I'd buy it if given the chance.

Reactions: Jak

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, if you were in possession of all Metal Gear Solid games, you would not really need the MGS HD Collection either. Like I said, HD remakes are not necessary - they are mainly meant for the people who never got the chance to play the original versions, and would otherwise pirate them.
Yea, but the HD collection actually added some useful mechanics from later games to stuff like MGS 3 and like I said, comes with Peace Walker and Metal Gear.

F#ck the PSP. I mainly got a hold of the HD collection just to play some Peace Walker.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
No game needs to be remade, unless the changes are so drastically different to the point where it's an entirely different game.

Case and point: The Resident Evil Remake, a complete overhaul in graphics, cinematics, voice acting, music, and above all...more mansion and atmosphere content to render it a completely separate experience from the original game.

That's why I believe the constant clamoring for an FF7 remake, an Earthbound remake, and a Symphony of the Night remake are all pointless endeavors unless the games are radically different from their original versions.

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
I wouldn't exactly say they are necessary but it does do good to bring some attention back to older games and gives people the opportunity to see what was up if they missed it the first time around. It also helps if you have a new game coming out for the series being remastered, for example lets say its like mid 2012 and you are interested in DmC but unfamiliar with the series then the DMC HD collection would give you the chance to acquaint yourself with it if you no longer own a PS2

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
and a Symphony of the Night remake are all pointless endeavors
No.

I couldn't find a PS1 copy of SotN. I don't like ordering online, so that wasn't an option, either.

I loved the PSP port. It was great. Besides, the PoP himself voiced Alucard. I love Robert Belgrade and his over-the-top voice acting, but I still like PoP enough to accept Yuri Lowenthal's performance as well.

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Honestly, I don't think HD remakes are 'necessary' but I'm kinda glad they did one for the Devil May Cry series because I was really killing to play DMC2 for a long time. Same as Final Fantasy X/X-2, absolutely dying to play them as well.
Ermagersh, if they did a Yu-Gi-Oh HD Collection remake, IMA BUY DAT S**T.

Viper

Premium
just a thought. i personally don't believe so, mainly because, you're getting the same exact game but with updated graphics. and really, how much extra would it cost to just buy the original game and the original platform. might cost the same or less as the actual game itself. but thats my argument. any other thoughts?
Been looking at this thread occasionally, just now I felt the urge to finally look up how much it would cost me to get the original games and console they were for...

DMC and DMC2 can be bought for around 50kn each. DMC3 SE is a lot more expensive, going for around 200kn or more. That puts all three games at the price... let's say around 300kn.
PS2 is priced between 500 and 1000kn.
All of this can only be acquired from other people, not official stores, so no one can really guarantee me quality and that I'm not throwing my money into the wind.

I bought recently DMC HD collection for 149kn (+fee for delivery). It runs on PS3 that my brother already owns anyway for playing more recent games and that's been handled with care.

So, no, in my case it wouldn't cost me less.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
If you are talking about say 10-20 yr old game remkaes i'm down with it.. but i'm not for "remakes" like tomb raider "Next gen edition".. i don't care what next gen consoles can do but clearly its nothing but a little bump in pixels for the price of a new game!

Top Bottom