• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any love for Vergil at all?

btmudd28

I think I may be alone here, but I personally had no problem with the portrayal of Vergil. I had no qualms with his voice either; I think he is meant to sound more sophisticated and put-together than Dante is and to me, they achieved this. People are comparing this Vergil to the original Vergil, and I get it, it's inevitable, but also you have to remember this is a reboot, a re-imagining of the characters. The creators are allowed to portray them in whichever way possible. Vergil always had his stuff together and was always more calm and collected than Dante, and it seems that aspect of his personality is still intact.

As far as Vergil's arc, I believe he is working with Mundus the entire time. Perhaps due to corruption by Mundus himself, or by his own accord. Perhaps he is using Dante to defeat Mundus and is planning to usurp Mundus' power. Then again the arc could be Vergil's fall from grace. Either way, I'm optimistic for the game and I'm glad Ninja Theory have the testicular fortitude to try something different.

somekidfromthe90's

I like him he still seems true to the character he's calm and calculating and doesn't allow emotions to get into his plans hence him debating with Dante on whether they should rescue Kat. But i honestly don't understand how some people are saying he talks too much when they've only seen a trailer...

Kammosjuttu

There are people who like this new Vergil. It's just that the angry ones are the most noisy ones. I like new Vergil; he has same traits in DmC as in DMC, but he is still all fresh --- just like new Dante is.
And about it that as if Vergil speaks too much; it's just like the rage about Dante swearing too much; people just exaggerate.

Atredus

The Great Destroyer
I like him. Its still Vergil, just Vergil for THIS UNIVERSE. And he fits perfect to me. When Dante was first shown, I didnt like him like many didnt. But when they made him not so emaciated and cleaned him up some, im fine with him.

Well....I still dont like his coat much but no big deal lol.

This is exactly how I envisioned they would make Vergil in this game and im cool with it.

Also do you guys see how clean that damn crease in his slacks are?! That crease is so sharp he can use that as a weapon! No need for the Yamato! :D

Atredus

The Great Destroyer
I wish they'd just made this a separate IP instead of calling it 'Devil may Cry'.

We all love the old games, but after DMC4 they needed to refresh it. Nero? Really?? I mean I enjoyed playing as him and he had an interesting moveset and abilities but I think its safe to say that Nero has got to be of direct lineage of the Sparda sons, more so in Vergil. Which doesnt hold much weight to me. Then there's DMC2 Dante which im still almost convinced that that guy was a deranged and confused Vergil pretending to be Dante for some reason.

The story is so inconsistent but had so much potential. Its hard to get over some of the looks of characters we all know and love but at the same time, this game is in a different universe. I mean what else could they call it besides what it is? It isnt 'Devil May Cry' per say. Its DMC. Ninja Theory knows what we expect when it comes to action because we can all agree that no matter what game we played it was about the action. This one they want to make the story be at least intriguing enough to match the action. RE does it. The Metal Gear games do it. Why cant DMC?

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
youre not alone, im with you. i like this Vergil and the potential he has. im seeing a twist where its revealed HE attacked his mother :O ..dunno why but he seems so calculating...i dunno just a hunch. he seems like a charasmaic leader and you feel a real connection between him and Dante. i like his character design tho his clothes a lil odd. but we're buying a game where there are demons controlling soceity and our only hope is a teenage punk with anger issues and more power than any army on the planet....we really gonna say his CLOTHES ARE THE UNBELEIVABLE PART?????

SO ONCE AGAIN THIS IS EPICOSITY :D

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wish they'd just made this a separate IP instead of calling it 'Devil May Cry'.
Technically that would be better as they would have more freedom and less expectations/scrutiny.

It might not sell well but certain IPs did get a lot of love when they were first shown like Sleeping Dogs and Asura's wrath.

I like him he still seems true to the character he's calm and calculating and doesn't allow emotions to get into his plans hence him debating with Dante on whether they should rescue Kat. But i honestly don't understand how some people are saying he talks too much when they've only seen a trailer...
Its not that unexpected given how people reacted to tgs 10 and kats reveal.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
This Vergil is a one big question mark, he could become anything, friend, foe, neutral, corrupted, misguided,...a hero?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Technically that would be better as they would have more freedom and less expectations/scrutiny.

It might not sell well but certain IPs did get a lot of love when they were first shown like Sleeping Dogs and Asura's wrath.

That's my thinking. There would be no pressures of expectation and no outrage as a result, it could work on its own just as well as some current-age demon world and we wouldn't be constantly slipping back into comparing it with its predecessors.

But the lure of an existing IP's fanbase, and the fact "no publicity is bad publicity" is probably too great a pull for them to have done so.

The way it's been executed so far, as I've just been telling a fellow member here, feels like some long drawn-out torture. The reveals, fans' reaction, the creators' re-reactions, the ragelove, done over and over. It's become bizarre.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
But the thing is that this is the next Devil May Cry, it was never intended to be an original IP,some people probably complained about MGS for PS1 because it was three dimensional, does that make it any less Metal Gear game?
Or Super Mario 2 because it's different from another 2D mario games? ;)

Besides what difference does it make whether it belongs to the DMC series or not, If the game is good I will buy it, and you can always choose not to buy it...

berto

I Saw the Devil
I wish they'd just made this a separate IP instead of calling it 'Devil May Cry'.
I've said this so many times, that I'd've been more responsive if was based on DMC rather than a been retelling/reboot of it. Hell, even a spin off would've been less chaotic.

Dante94513

I like DmC's Vergil, he seems classy, motivated, and calculating. The voice acting seems very real and calm like. The trailer felt like watching urban apocalyptic film with talented young voice acting. I love Vergil in DMC3, but its hard to compare the two right now. Plus, they are different characters. DMC3 Vergil is someone that seeks power, would kill anyone in his way and also his ways of seeking it would destroy the world. DmC Vergil seems motivated to destroy the demons to save all of mankind, even if it means sacrificing one of his comrades ("You would risk ALL of mankind for a girl") and it felt like he was about to snap. Saying one is a badass and one is a pussy is irrelevant to me. I care about which character is structure and developed. DMC3's Vergil wasn't really structured well and most of the time it felt like

"I WANT POWER."

"Why do you want it so badly, getting it might destroy the world"

"Does Vergil have to stab a bitch? GIMME POWER"

and it didn't look like they were going to develop him after DMC4.

I know Vergil wanted power to defeat Mundus, but it was still poorly executed. DmC Vergil seems completely fresh, normal, mental, he understands his routes, has reasons of what he is doing and doesn't relying only on himself (though I could be wrong). Though I have this feeling he is going to snap somehow. Hopefully it's reasonable.

Top Bottom