• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any DmC fans hyped for MGR?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think he means the part in the demo where you enter building and you get an unskippable codec call from the guy. Are those skippable?

Yeahp, same method. The "outside calls" in the demo weren't skippable, but they are in the full game.

Zato-OW

King
MGR felt like it could have been better. But I understand why this game felt a little rushed. Apparently P* only had 1 year to develop this game and they asked Kojima for more time but he refused because he wanted this game to be released in the early 2013. I think this is because he knew the PS4 was going to be announced so he wanted this game out before it was released later in the year because MGS:GZ will obviously be released on the PS4 and no one will by buying or most likely playing the PS3 when they have the PS4 out. So for a game that was created and release within little over a year its a really good game. I wonder how good it would have been if it had a proper 2-3 years of development that a game like this needs.

Dominus

MGR felt like it could have been better. But I understand why this game felt a little rushed. Apparently P* only had 1 year to develop this game and they asked Kojima for more time but he refused because he wanted this game to be released in the early 2013. I think this is because he knew the PS4 was going to be announced so he wanted this game out before it was released later in the year because MGS:GZ will obviously be released on the PS4 and no one will by buying or most likely playing the PS3 when they have the PS4 out. So for a game that was created and release within little over a year its a really good game. I wonder how good it would have been if it had a proper 2-3 years of development that a game like this needs.
Also they had to make up for the lost cost of the previous year+ developing MGS:Rising for which PG scratched most of the turned over assets. So if they gave PG another year for a game they aren't sure will sell a lot that could have end up biting them in the ass...

edit: Also you could tell that Kojipro probably told Platinum to put a lot of work into the bosses because they are the more polished aspects of the game (even the last boss). Seems around level 5-7 they were in their crunch time lol...

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Also they had to make up for the lost cost of the previous year+ developing MGS:Rising for which PG scratched most of the turned over assets. So if they gave PG another year for a game they aren't sure will sell a lot that could have end up biting them in the ass...

edit: Also you could tell that Kojipro probably told Platinum to put a lot of work into the bosses because they are the more polished aspects of the game (even the last boss). Seems around level 5-7 they were in their crunch time lol...
Seriously, the last boss is far from polished.

Dominus

Seriously, the last boss is far from polished.
Why is that? You could tell from how
how short the last level was
And the number of cutscenes and multiple phases that the end boss got the most work in the last level. The last boss fight has a lot more going for it than the Sundowner one.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Why is that? You could tell from how
how short the last level was
And the number of cutscenes and multiple phases that the end boss got the most work in the last level. The last boss fight has a lot more going for it than the Sundowner one.
A final boss with tonnes of cut-scenes and padding in between isn't what I'd call polished. A polished final boss should an epic finale with just you and the boss duking it out without any god damned QTEs ala DMC3's Vergil battle. That's my take on it. MGR's final boss is just a tedious mess to me.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I enjoyed every minute of the last boss battle, to be honest it was one of the most challenging and coolest boss battles I've seen this console gen. I played it on the hard mode and it was so damn challenging, but at the same time it was so cool which is why it kept me going for it.
But whatever was wrong with it like the length and stuff will likely be a lot better in the sequel.

Dominus

A final boss with tonnes of cut-scenes and padding in between isn't what I'd call polished. A polished final boss should an epic finale with just you and the boss duking it out without any god damned QTEs ala DMC3's Vergil battle. That's my take on it. MGR's final boss is just a tedious mess to me.
Maybe the first two parts felt tedious, but the final fight was fun IMO. Hell I thought the whole thing felt epic like the 2nd to last boss in God Hand.

Dominus

What's Godhand like? I keep hearing about that lately.
Best 3d brawler out there in terms of depth and style (PS2 title).... developed by clover studios (now defunct). Controls feel clunky at first but once you get used to them the game feels great, and it's where my icon comes from.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Keep in mind that God Hand is ugly, silly and completely merciless. Nobody will blame you if you roll through your first playthrough on Easy. Well, except Gene, but he's a cock. TotalBiscuit did a pretty good overview of the game, just skip along to the fighting to get an idea of what it's like.

I do love God Hand, probably more than DMC3 if I'm honest. I adore it's irreverently goofy style, it's soundtrack, the fighting sytem, all of it. Upper level play does tend to involve mastering pulling single enemies out of large mobs rather than stylish play, but I can forgive it that seeing how much fun it is.

It's actually kind of funny; Mad World and Anarchy Reigns were fun games cut from God Hand's ilk, but both are considerable step downs in terms of overall gameplay. It's like they were released in reverse.

Holy crap I just asked what Godhand was like and I just found a copy of it that I don't remember buying under my bed.
I'm playing it now, Camera and movement kinda sucks but the fighting more than makes up for it. I love the main protagonist already, do cheesy yet so good.

I noticed IGN gave it a 3/10, pretty harsh. I'm going to be up for a while playing this. The game keeps kicking my butt.

Thank you both for taking your time to tell me about it though :)

Top Bottom