• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any DmC fans hyped for MGR?

ZeroLove

^ I believe WorkenOnMaLeft was actually talking about Bayonetta when making the Kojima comment.

Oh... Nevermind then. ^^

Kojima didn't write the script, Etsu Tamari did.

Also:

"The plot was written with the idea of being accessible to people who have not played previous Metal Gear games."

Gotta say, this really helped pull me in as if I thought I had to play 5 or so other games just to grasp the concepts of this one, I may have passed it over. After MGR, I've already pulled out my old PS1 and borrowed my brothers copy to play it.

That explains so much! I really thought Kojima did the writing... and now I feel bad for blaming Kojima. Sorry Koji-san!
He really should have done the writing though, then the story would definately have been ALOT better. I really don't feel like the MGR storyline makes the Metal Gear storyline "accessible" to newcomers. It sincerely just takes a huge dump on it. It doesn't explain anything or narrows any of the original storyline down, it's just something on the side that isn't supposed to be taken seriously (from what I hear from various sources)...

However, I am glad that you've taken an interest in the MGS series due to this, but know one thing... It is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from MGR! It's a stealth-shooter series, not an action hack'n slash game, and some cutscenes can take up to over half an hour (MGS4). It is really story deep and has a huge plot that you need to get into to understand what is happening in the games. Also know that MGS3 is a prequal.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
It sincerely just takes a huge dump on it. It doesn't explain anything or narrows any of the original storyline down, it's just something on the side that isn't supposed to be taken seriously (from what I hear from various sources)...

That might be because:

However, I am glad that you've taken an interest in the MGS series due to this, but know one thing... It is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from MGR! It's a stealth-shooter series, not an action hack'n slash game, and some cutscenes can take up to over half an hour (MGS4). It is really story deep and has a huge plot that you need to get into to understand what is happening in the games. Also know that MGS3 is a prequal.

Consider that to explain the ludicrously overcomplicated lore behind Rising it would intrude on the new story it tells, and that it does have just enough references and implications to make people compelled to play the earlier games. Players don't necessarily need every single plot detail explained to them in deadpan shot/reverse shot like another game I could mention; sometimes the mystery makes the story that much more compelling.

Demonstrably so even, given that's the reaction DH has had with the game, and I suspect he isn't the only one.

ZeroLove

That might be because:

Consider that to explain the ludicrously overcomplicated lore behind Rising it would intrude on the new story it tells, and that it does have just enough references and implications to make people compelled to play the earlier games. Players don't necessarily need every single plot detail explained to them in deadpan shot/reverse shot like another game I could mention; sometimes the mystery makes the story that much more compelling.

Demonstrably so even, given that's the reaction DH has had with the game, and I suspect he isn't the only one.

No, it doesn't need every detail... But it doesn't need to be half-assed crap either.
The game overall just feels like it needs substance. It is too short, there is no replay value, the story is crap and the whole experience of the game just leaves me with a hollow feeling.

So okay, the game is not about the story. Fair enough. Then why isn't there more gameplay? Why is the game so short? How come I am able to do almost everything from the get-go? Why no upgrades that gives me more cool moves and ****? Why are there so few extra wepons? And how come the secondary weapon system feel so lacking?

No, MGR just feels lacking in so many ways.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
No, it doesn't need every detail... But it doesn't need to be half-assed crap either.
The game overall just feels like it needs substance. It is too short, there is no replay value, the story is crap and the whole experience of the game just leaves me with a hollow feeling.

So okay, the game is not about the story. Fair enough. Then why isn't there more gameplay? Why is the game so short? How come I am able to do almost everything from the get-go? Why no upgrades that gives me more cool moves and ****? Why are there so few extra wepons? And how come the secondary weapon system feel so lacking?

No, MGR just feels lacking in so many ways.

There's certainly room to expand, and going by how the public treat the game we'll see whether or not it'll get a chance to.

Apart from it's more farcical elements though, I don't see where the plot is lacking particularly. You have a main character who experiences an arc involving crippling mutilation, reliving childhood trauma, attempting to save people who are suffering as he did, discovering new life through technology (Bladewolf), uncovering corruption within the US government which parallels that of real life, and having his own ideals challenged to breaking point. The game goes out of it's way to make many of these character defining moments playable or influence the gameplay in some way.

It certainly the deepest hack and slash game that I've played in at least two months.

ZeroLove

There's certainly room to expand, and going by how the public treat the game we'll see whether or not it'll get a chance to.

Apart from it's more farcical elements though, I don't see where the plot is lacking particularly. You have a main character who experiences an arc involving crippling mutilation, reliving childhood trauma, attempting to save people who are suffering as he did, discovering new life through technology (Bladewolf), uncovering corruption within the US government which parallels that of real life, and having his own ideals challenged to breaking point. The game goes out of it's way to make many of these character defining moments playable or influence the gameplay in some way.

It certainly the deepest hack and slash game that I've played in at least two months.

*warning, spoilers in post*

I see what you did there. But I disagree. It was all presented in a very shallow way, it was cheesy as hell and it did not live up to the Metal Gear name what so ever. Even the bosses, they simply each have a monologue to kinda fill you in on what they're all about, and that's that. There's no character development what so ever. They are just there, telling you how tragic a past they have and now they want to kill you. Sam is supposed to be this big name, Raiden's nemesis, his archrival, but there's nothing deep about him and we learn little to nothing about him either. The Bladewolf just seems like a lame excuse for Raiden to get an "animal" sidekick, there's no emotional attachment between them or any sense of partnership, just Raiden getting a new toy. Mistral pops up, being oh so tragic about her past, trying to find a connection with Raiden, but is then "Oh wait, we're maybe not that alike after all" and then goes ahead to kill him. Monsoon tries to convince Raiden that he is just a killing machine, Raiden goes along with it and then Monsoon is all "Wait what?" and then tries to kill him... Sundowner, the big mister 'MURICA guy who just wants to have war so everyone can have fun killing eachother... He is the biggest joke of a boss character I have seen for a long time. Oh wait, I forgot the senator... THAT us the biggest joke of a boss character I have ever seen!

*spoilers ended*

But lets be fair... the story on its own might not be all that bad, though it is short, however, it is consistent all the way through. I just can't fathom that this is related to the epic Metal Gear storyline, even though it is just a spin-off, because next to it, the MGR plot is simply... crap. Imagine the MGS storyline being this big, wonderful, delicious cake with yummy frosting, marcipan flowers and fresh strawberries on it, some vanilla-flavoured whipped cream... and MGR's storyline is this lousy little cooky that doesn't even taste very good.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I just finished Metal Gear Rising today on hard mode, I got about half way through the game on normal mode yesterday, but then my PS3 corrupted the data and erased my save game, I took it as a sign. I restarted my first MGR playthrough on hard mode and had a hell of a blast, slicing up enemies felt way more satisfying when they hit you harder, plus the boss battles were amazing and the very final boss was one of the most intense boss battles I've played.

Metal Gear Rising was just amazing in my opinion and can't wait for the sequel.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
So, let's put some facts on the table...

Kamiya had nothing to do with MGR. He is part of Platinum Games, but he was not part of the team who did MGR. None, nada, zip, zero...

... Seriously? I hope they will do better with the story then. I mean, what Kojima is mostly known for is his epic storytelling skills and how he put it into videogames. The Metal Gear Solid series is proof of that! But MGR... it had a really tacky and unserious story. I can't tell you guys how disappointed I was about it too many times... And I am not hating for the sake of hating, I was disappointed because I am a fan of Kojima, I am a fan of the Metal Gear games and I was really hoping to get a cool story about Raiden in this game. So Kojima, pull yourself together if you're going to make a sequal!!!

I think you have to keep in mind that MGR is not a Metal Gear Solid game. I don't think anybody said it would have a great plot. Though I do agree; the next one should have a nice story. However, I would want it to be less convoluted than that of the Metal Gear Solid series. It really didn't add any value for me.

GF9000000Returns

So about the same as DmC, then.

No. DmC takes about 7 1/2 without the cutscenes and probably almost 9 or 10 hours with them since the cutscenes are about an hour and a half.

Sorry for the late reply BTW.

I just finished Metal Gear Rising today on hard mode, I got about half way through the game on normal mode yesterday, but then my PS3 corrupted the data and erased my save game, I took it as a sign. I restarted my first MGR playthrough on hard mode and had a hell of a blast, slicing up enemies felt way more satisfying when they hit you harder, plus the boss battles were amazing and the very final boss was one of the most intenseboss battles I've played.
Wow..I can really tell that I'll have a hard time beat *him* tonight, ESPECIALLY in hard mode, that's if I make it there. Rented the game for a week so I have time.

I just finished Metal Gear Rising today on hard mode, I got about half way through the game on normal mode yesterday, but then my PS3 corrupted the data and erased my save game, I took it as a sign. I restarted my first MGR playthrough on hard mode and had a hell of a blast, slicing up enemies felt way more satisfying when they hit you harder, plus the boss battles were amazing and the very final boss was one of the most intense boss battles I've played.

Can't wait to get it myself. Hoping the next game is about Gray fox though. He's one cool guy.

Dylan20

The final boss was a d*ck lol been awhiles since a boss gave me trouble.

Agent47_89

*warning, spoilers in post*

... It was all presented in a very shallow way, it was cheesy as hell and it did not live up to the Metal Gear name what so ever. Even the bosses, they simply each have a monologue to kinda fill you in on what they're all about, and that's that. There's no character development what so ever. They are just there, telling you how tragic a past they have and now they want to kill you...
*spoilers ended*

You mean almost like the MGS4 boss battles where after you kill them, Drebin calls up and give you a cut-and-paste background plot to each B&B? You mean as as cheesy as the scene where Meryl and Johnny propose ala Mr & Mrs Smith?

If MGR is less bullshit than MGS4 then I might buy it earlier.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Can't wait to get it myself. Hoping the next game is about Gray fox though. He's one cool guy.
Even though I like gray fox a lot too, isn't Raiden's story almost the same as Gray Fox's? I mean, as far as the past of the character goes, since Raiden's story on MGS2 was this big "Let's make another Solid Snake" conspiracy.

EvilX-81

I think you have to keep in mind that MGR is not a Metal Gear Solid game. I don't think anybody said it would have a great plot. Though I do agree; the next one should have a nice story. However, I would want it to be less convoluted than that of the Metal Gear Solid series. It really didn't add any value for me.

This raises a question with me; how would you rate the plot of MGR overall? Good enough save spoiling until you play the game yourself? The thing that drags me into MGS games is their conspiratorial plotlines, which accompanied with the somewhat down-to-earth gameplay, could be quite immersive.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
MGR doesn't have the overly long cutscenes that MGS4 did, but not even the other MGS games had what MGS4 had. Why? Codec conversations.

People bitched and complained about the long Codec conversations you could have or end up with, and so in MGS4 they reworked the narrative to leave the Codec as a shadow of its former self. MGR was a return to form there in a way, because you can spend a lot of time learning about the world via Codec instead of it literally being all part of every cutscene like it was in MGS4. That is my one big regret about the end of the Solid series, that they removed a lot of the charm of the Codec - I still got all that story, but I sometimes think about all the great little conversations that could have been had with the MGS4 characters using it.

EvilX-81

MGR doesn't have the overly long cutscenes that MGS4 did, but not even the other MGS games had what MGS4 had. Why? Codec conversations.

People bitched and complained about the long Codec conversations you could have or end up with, and so in MGS4 they reworked the narrative to leave the Codec as a shadow of its former self. MGR was a return to form there in a way, because you can spend a lot of time learning about the world via Codec instead of it literally being all part of every cutscene like it was in MGS4. That is my one big regret about the end of the Solid series, that they removed a lot of the charm of the Codec - I still got all that story, but I sometimes think about all the great little conversations that could have been had with the MGS4 characters using it.

Speaking of which, did they make the codec conversations in MGR skippable unlike in the demo, or is there a way to skip them in either?

EvilX-81

You can skip them by tapping or holding Triangle/Y

You could also do that in the demo, too :p

I think he means the part in the demo where you enter building and you get an unskippable codec call from the guy. Are those skippable?

Yea, those are the ones I'm talking about. Wouldn't be so bad even come to think of it if you could still move freely instead of having to walk during them.

Hold y or triangle to skip them.

Really? Awesome! Thx.

Top Bottom