• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another DmC article

Railazel

Inuyasha, no, but Blade was.

There was a lot of comments as to how DMC was somewhat inspired (action wise) by the Matrix. In an interview for DMC4 producer Kobayashi was asked to comment on anything the fans might've not known, he said that it wasn't the Matrix but rather the film Blade that the staff took inspiration from.

Edit: For more on that:
http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...-was-to-replace-dante.9878/page-3#post-307671

Wow, here I am thinking the extreme similiarities between the two were just coincidental.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Wow, here I am thinking the extreme similiarities between the two were just coincidental.
I don't think the whole half-human half-whatever thing was ever an aspect they took from Blade but rether it was the design and action that lend ideas. But yep, Blade was an inspiration for DMC.

I do, however, feel obligated to point out that that was only DMC1. DMC2 and above all went off of DMC and so any similareties to the inspirations of DMC are no longer pressent in it's sequels. So for DMC3 the people who made it replaced Blade with Versus, so they have very different feels to them.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
So i guess you guys also think that the gothic and horror atmosphere of devil may cry was from resident evil?
No, its not.Back in 2001,everybody knows that the gothic style and the castles was an inspiration from castlevania.
You can simply feel it if you have played SOTN,Castlevania legacy or the classicvanias.

Every time I think of Symphony, I think of Alucard's appearance in Lords of Shadow II. If they don't go Metroidvania in the next game, there will be consequences, believe me.
lol you know,they can't always do the same thing.In all honesty,metroidvanias has nothing special in them.You kill things,back track and kill things then backtrack.I don't want another SOTN wannabe,for me at least.Lords of shadow reminds me of what castlevania should have been and i think it's the spiritual successor of Super Castlevania IV since it mostly resemble the classicvanias.

Also alucard will also appear in mirror of fate:
cov_232_v6_l.jpg

Trevor is not alucard.

Azurel

Most Castlevanias had some form of exploration in them. Even in the MSX version of the first one. Castlevania II had a semi-open world. Castlevania III had branching paths. NES Castlevania and Super Castlevania IV, which was more or less a remake of the first one on NES, were the only truly linear ones. That's only two games so far. Rondo of Blood (once again) had branching paths. Almost all of them have had some sort of exploration or another.

SOTN fully absorbed Metroid and make it it's own. Have you played Metorid and Super Metroid? They're good, but they're also a kind of a pain to play through. (Go ahead, try to "wall-jump-sequence-break" effectively. It's almost impossible without a lot of practice.) SOTN (along with numerous other metroidvanias) streamlined the formula for everyone.

I really don't like Metroid itself, btw. Sorry, just saying. But that in itself should say that I'm willing to look at things objectively. I like the formula in other games and will give Metroid and Gunpei Yokoi credit where credit is due, but I just couldn't get into the sci-fi aesthetic.

Now, if they want MOF to go linear like in the first LOS, that's fine, but it wouldn't make sense due to the fact that CVIII had branching paths using the abilities of different characters. If not Metroidvania, then at least some sort of differentiation would be nice. It wouldn't make sense to do so seeing as how Alucard is all but confirmed for both games. You can't have Trevor without Alucard.

Edit: Also, they did the multiple-character thing in the replay of Dawn of Sorrow. With quasi-metroidvania tactics. Come on, you have to admit, that was kind of awesome. Yes, I know Julius Belmont isn't Alucard, but he still made for a pretty good explorable character with Alucard's and Yoko's help. Even Hammer was going to take over Grant's role, but he got cut out at the last minute. Aw.

LOS 2: potentially metroidvania. Mirror of Fate: Castlevania III's branching paths. Almost guaranteed at this point.

And notice how it's becoming more and more like the original timeline? They said after LOS 2 and MOF that they were going to stop the series. I agree. The last thing we need is another hideous anime mess. Please, just let it end.

Castlevania is a good series, but people need to learn when to let go.

EDIT: By the way, I remember what Gamepro said back in 2001.

"Devil May Cry is what Castlevania 64 should have been."

So yeah, you're right, Sieghart. DMC1 did take most of it's Gothic horror motif from Castlevania.

I mourned that day, when I read that quote, as I'm sure you would have if you had read it as well. Taking cheap shots at the 64 games was hitting below the belt. Especially since Legacy of Darkness wasn't that bad. It actually tried to improve the first version of the game. (It was more or less an expansion pak(haha) and/or director's cut)

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I agree to your post.I may add one thing though.If we notice all castlevanias have a great or at least good story.The problem is the WHOLE story itself.The mythology is too complex that many castlevania games from the franchise have been scrap from the original timeline, and it's just too silly for the lord of darkness dracula to be beaten easily and he would still resurrect every one hundred year.It makes no sense to me.In my own personal view,castlevania needs more alucard and dracula and less belmonts.Don't me wrong though because i really like Trevor and simon belmont.I'm really happy that they are the ones which is playable for mirror of fate.

EDIT: By the way, I remember what Gamepro said back in 2001.
"Devil May Cry is what Castlevania 64 should have been."

So, yeah, you're right, Sieghart. DMC1 did take most of it's gothic horror motif from Castlevania.

I mourned that day, when I read that quote, as I'm sure you would have if you had read it as well. Taking cheap shots at the 64 games was hitting below the belt. Especially since Legacy of Darkness wasn't that bad. It actually tried to improve the first version of the game. (It was more or less an expansion pak(haha) and/or director's cut)

Yeah, me too.I also mourned the day that people are saying that devil may cry is the original hack n' slash whatever and people are saying that LoS was a rip off of GoW when it's actually one way another.Castlevania really have lose it's shine since SOTN.But as you said,Aria of sorrow and dawn of sorrow as actually good even though i really don't like soma myself.

Edit: One of the criticisms that they got was LoS lack exploration.Dave cox confirmed that in mirror of fate and LoS 2 there will be a deep exploration and will not be linear as the first game.

Top Bottom