• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Alien: Isolation

Dark Drakan

Admin
Heard some really good things about this from those who play tested it, many of them loved it and cant wait to see the end product in action.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
All this positive talk gives me hope, I'm trying to avoid as many gameplay videos as I can because you never know what kind of scares can be spoiled.
I skipped IGN's "How scary is Outlast" and those scares at the beginning of the game got me when I played, if I watched the video first it would have spoiled it, but now IGN has stupidly put a "How scary is Alien Isolation" and spoiled some scares for people now.

Dark Drakan

Admin
All this positive talk gives me hope, I'm trying to avoid as many gameplay videos as I can because you never know what kind of scares can be spoiled.
I skipped IGN's "How scary is Outlast" and those scares at the beginning of the game got me when I played, if I watched the video first it would have spoiled it, but now IGN has stupidly put a "How scary is Alien Isolation" and spoiled some scares for people now.

Unless a game changes each time I would always recommend avoiding those videos especially for a game about tension and fear as thats half the experience.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Oh yeah that won't raise any suspicion, they did it with Colonial Marines too.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Alienspreorder.jpg

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I can't really imagine how game will work. You should just hide whole game under pressure of being 1Hko? I dunno how I feel about it :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Oh yeah that won't raise any suspicion, they did it with Colonial Marines too.

Different developers entirely as VampireWicked stated.

@xMobilemux
Wow.

Well this is a different development company & i don't think they'll pull a GearBox smurf up.

Even though i think the concept story idea isn't very creative, it looks good............BUT so did Aliens: Colonial Marines at this point.

I think what they should do to ease gamer's minds is have a playable demo at whatever upcoming gaming event is next.

There have been many playable demos at the events already, I know people who have played it and there has been many impressions previews and play test thoughts released already. They even had it running on an Oculus Rift though that is only a prototype (full version isnt in development yet) people still loved it.

The Oculus Rift Game That’s So Real It Nearly Destroyed Me

The thing that will make or break the game will be its frustration levels & the fact that if you get spotted and dont manage to get away fast enough you die... over and over. Many will end up getting annoyed and quitting never to come back.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

Yea i feel that way about games i have to spend time running from something but then i remember there's great games that are setup that way.

HauntingGround is a great one.
But there are few core differences.
1. there were close to none 1HKO in HG.
2. It wasn't first person
3. There was different stalkers, while there is only 1 in Alien and we already know who it is ;)
4. Highly depends on AI. If they make it to smart + 1Hko it would be unplayable :(

Dark Drakan

Admin

Oh okay.
I hate that too. I dislike running away from enemies & not being able to fight back but some games it works.

And in this it should've been obvious it's going to be a hide & seek style play as it follows suit with the films.

1 Alien equals no or limited weapons
Multiple Aliens equals plenty of weapons & usually a team.

I prefer a mix, rather than the mowing down of thousands of them like in previous games it is nice to see them being shown as a dangerous adversary again (even 1 of them should pose a threat). You are the prey and they are the hunters and it should feel that way. Be nice to be able to defend yourself if you have the means to do so but shouldnt be able to simply blow them away at will.

*EDIT* With the emergence of the open world survival genre as of late I think the Alien franchise would be the perfect fit for it too. Imagine a band of survivors having to survive while being hunted by Aliens (works for Predators too). In the style of The Forest where you have to build a camp/area or find abandoned outposts and hold out inside them by scavenging supplies to survive.

Remember many years ago Steve and I playing original AvP over LAN against waves of Aliens and hauling up inside a base in middle of the map. Pretty much back to back holding them off until we ran out of ammo and were killed, guess im wondering why nothing attempts to recapture this feeling of helplessness & survival against the odds. Though lots of early access titles have the potential, just hope they all manage to hit that potential eventually (The Forest/DayZ/Nether/Rust to name a few). Survival genre fascinates me and could be some gems being developed right now. Nice to see them slowly drifting from all including zombies as the stereotypical enemy too out of those only DayZ does and even those arent bog standard regular zombies.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
1 Hour in:
Lots of walking, pretty graphics, game runs fine.

2 hours in:
Alien finally shows up but only briefly, got past it no problem on Hard.

2 in half hours in:
The human and android segments suck ass and swallow, still loads of walking around, starting to get bored.

3 hours in:
Alien shows up for real and holy s**t is this thing scary and so not scripted, it's already killed me once and I'm currently trying to survive round 2 against the f**ker.

My first impressions are the game is kinda boring and annoying for the first 2 hours, but once that Xeno shows up s**t gets real.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
1 Hour in:
Lots of walking, pretty graphics, game runs fine.

2 hours in:
Alien finally shows up but only briefly, got past it no problem on Hard.

2 in half hours in:
The human and android segments suck ass and swallow, still loads of walking around, starting to get bored.

3 hours in:
Alien shows up for real and holy s**t is this thing scary and so not scripted, it's already killed me once and I'm currently trying to survive round 2 against the f**ker.

My first impressions are the game is kinda boring and annoying for the first 2 hours, but once that Xeno shows up s**t gets real.
It's what an Alien game should be.

Alien was never about action and shooting Xenomorphs.

I mean, I was watching Alien not long ago and if you time that film, the alien doesn't appear until roughly a hour in to the film with a total screentime of about less than four minutes.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
It's what an Alien game should be.

Alien was never about action and shooting Xenomorphs.

I mean, I was watching Alien not long ago and if you time that film, the alien doesn't appear until roughly a hour in to the film with a total screentime of about less than four minutes.
I know, James Cameron's take is more of a Xeno kill fest, but even in that movie it was still about the threat of the Xenos instead of shooting them up.

5 hours in:
Had multiple run ins with the Xeno, you never know where he's gonna be or where he's gonna show up, he could be in one room and not in the next or he could switch things up in the next retry.
He's 100% unpredictable and when he sees you it scares the s**t outta you.

The Final Offer

I don't like the pacing in this game. So much unneeded bull**** and the Xenomorph is not as scary as I thought. Why do I have a gun? Why do I have a flamethrower? Wtf, I was told this would be survival mode 100%, this **** is not scaring me.

The ambiance is good though.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
Alien Isolation sells over 2 million copies and is considered......weak.
I partly agree. Alien is a big franchise and this is one of the greatest games made last year. 2 million is great; but not enough or maybe barely enough in this scenario.

Top Bottom