• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Achievement list

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'll never knock someone for not liking something, but I will if they're judgment isn't sound. A lot of what I've seen is just vitriol, people jumping to conclusions, or ignoring the possibilities.

Hell, even if this isn't a good Devil May Cry game, I can still enjoy it on its own merits, which it has many of that have won me over :p In the end, a game is a game, and that's why I like :3

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I'll never knock someone for not liking something, but I will if they're judgment isn't sound. A lot of what I've seen is just vitriol, people jumping to conclusions, or ignoring the possibilities.

Hell, even if this isn't a good Devil May Cry game, I can still enjoy it on its own merits, which it has many of that have won me over :p In the end, a game is a game, and that's why I like :3
True, in the end it's all about having a fun experience. :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, to respond to the subjects currently running.

Some of the best games I've ever played were simple. The two that come off the top of my head are Resident Evil 4 (Shadows of the Damned might qualify by extention) and El Shadai. Simple set ups, uncomplicated concepts and control scheems and they carry the game with out getting borring. The reason behind that is also because the games are well thought out in design; the list of moves might not be long but the games will require you to solve situations with a less than straight forward approach. If done right the game will never feel like it's putting limitations on you and will nevel leave you feeling like wish there was more.

Games like this tend to be brillian not despite of their simplicity but rather because of it. However, an intricate or complicated system doesn't mean the game will be the lesser for it. Games with a large number of features can still be briliant, the two games that come to mind are Bayonetta (Shocking, right?) and Batman: AC. While nether game requires what you'd call an extensive comprehension of all its mechanics to beat the game they are far from simple do to their massive list of available mechanics. What makes these game briliant is not the large arsenal of gadgets, moves and weapons but rather that you don't need to master all of it to get by or to have fun. They are not there to make your life more complicated but rahter to give you more options and veriety in your play. It is this flexability and veriety that makes allows for very different experiences every time you play, if you so wish.

More to the point, while I see the benefit of having a botton dedicated to launch attacks I find the reasoning rather unsadisfactory. To say that it's a three input attack and therefore too complicated for most people strikes me more as excuse than reason. I think the truth is more simple than that: they got rid of the lock on in favor of dudge and they still needed to pull of high time.

I'll tell you this, in my opinion DmC wasn't more simple than DMC4. It was layed out differently but it was no more simple just because none of the moves had a more than a two input command. I only played it once but I had harder time with the DmC demo than the DMC4 one when I first played each. So I'm not buying on the simplicity thing.

By the way, choco, you should also add me to that list of names. I'm not a DmC supporter, ether.

But I feel like alot of people are just afraid that people will get good at the game because it's more accessible and therefore newcomers may exceed their skills.
You're kidding, right? That's a thing? Doesn't that seem kinda silly?

Even if the game never exeeds what's available on the demo it'll be an ok game. I hold to my stament that it's better than DMC4 and that the combat is more sophisticated.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
But I feel like alot of people are just afraid that people will get good at the game because it's more accessible and therefore newcomers may exceed their skills.

tumblr_m7fubvf9ss1rtagpw.png

*Cleans up dusty PS2 console and boot up DMC 3*

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
? I thought it was only 1000?
Maybe he means with DLC?
I know shipping it's 1000 and 1000 only.

EDIT:Though I forgot about the Orange Box, I believe that's over 1000 (If you only consider it one game) so maybe there are others?
I'm not sure if games without DLC can break the 1k mark but since Capcom broke the rules with Monster Hunter Frontier(2250G), I'm guessing MS doesn't really have a strict policy about gamerscores, at least when it comes to big companies. It's either that or Monster Hunter is just too big to stop.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
@Berto - I can understand where you're coming from. Although I do think that getting to play the demo on a showfloor will be a bit different than getting to play it from the comfort of your own home, on your time. It'll be a lot easier to study the controls and really experiment, without feeling rushed. And I don't think when they say "Hightime is difficult" they mean that it's like..insurmountably difficult, just that...it could be more simplistic.

I think DmC is more simplistic in its controls over DMC4, but in other ways it's got its own depth elsewhere, and its own difficulties that the player needs to get past - sorta like how you said playing the demo was a little difficult, most likely because playing DMC4's demo was going on to the next iteration, mostly knowing those controls, while DmC had some subtle differences to understand, and if you go in expecting the same control scheme it can get a bit wonky...like trying to play DMC2/3/4 after playing the PS2 version of DMC1 >.<

@CheeseKao - I think MH Frontier gets a pass on that because it's essentially an MMO :x

Domenic93

Ah you see, but that's apparently ruffling a lot of DMC pros' feathers, because if more people are able to get a grasp of the controls and some (hopefully) deeper, complex gameplay, it means they won't be seen nearly as "pro." Granted, that's just one of the complaints, but it's a silly complaint nonetheless :p

I couldn't care less for other peoples' hubris, but I'm excited to see if there's anything unique we'll find with DmC, and if sales are good it'll keep the franchise going in a much better state. Otherwise it could end up like Bayonetta 2, funded into exclusivity because it's only popular as a cult hit, with little mainstream appeal to a wider audience.

I'm still very interested to see what the Aquila weapon is like, and I really just wanna get my hands on the Osiris - I love scythes, and Osiris' moveset is just so graceful :D
I have a feeling that it's going to do to DMC what aluminum bats did to the MLB, make it too easy to break records

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That's not really all that applicable, since the systems are different for each game. You can't compare Rally racing to NASCAR, or more to your example, you can't compare Major League Baseball records to Little League records :x

Someone's accolades in DmC would logically not transfer over to accolades they could garner in other DMCs. It'd be silly for anyone to claim otherwise, whoever they are.

Top Bottom