• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Katana or a longsword/claymore?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So I'm having a bit of an issue I need to try and do.

I'm writing a story and I'm having some issues as to what kind of sword my main character should use. At first I chose a katana because I really love katanas, but then I realized that my main character has a very brutal and agressive style of sword fighting and that a longsword or claymore (he's really strong by the way) would fit his brute force sword style.

So which do you guys think I should chose?

DragonMaster2010

Another thing I should mention; in terms of his style of fighting.
He has;
  • The swordsmanship that resembles nDante's brutal yet stylish swordstyle
  • Bayonetta's form of gun-kata (minus the heel guns and sexy poses)
  • can also summon demons like Bayonetta

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It sounds like your character would benefit from a sword that is both brute force, and fluid enough to wield so that he doesn't surrender swiftness for strength. Given that he's a particularly strong sort, I think a longsword would meet his needs nicely enough. :)

DragonMaster2010

A b@stard (hand-and-half) sword, perhaps? That way, he can use one or both hands.

I was thinking something along the lines of nDante's sword mixed with the sword from the shadow of modor.
Shadow_of_Mordor_Sword_Legend-1024x576.jpg

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I vote longsword, personally (claymores are a type of broadsword, I believe, which is also pretty cool and gets a thumbs up from me). As much as I love katanas, they are used a lot in media nowadays and...that kinda cuts down on their awesomeness, at times.

I had a similar situation to this recently, actually, and was between the same choice as you before tossing both options out and looking up various types of swords until I found one I liked that suited my character. If you're still having a hard time choosing, maybe you should try something like that? Research can really help clear things up. On a side note, have you considered something like an axe or machete? If you're character is particularly brutal, it might be easier to convey that through shorter-ranged melee weapons. =)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

DragonMaster2010

On a side note, have you considered something like an axe or machete? If you're character is particularly brutal, it might be easier to convey that through shorter-ranged melee weapons. =)

I wanted swords just because I liked swords really lol.

And actually a machete was another idea I had in mind. Like a really big machete.
2012-03-04_machete_2.jpg

That's awesome.

Did you know, that the Urfael was named after the Ulfberht (I'm being presumptuous actually -- but, I can't ignore this coincidence either)? It was a sword that was reportedly a thousand years ahead of its time due to its craftsmanship.

http://listverse.com/2013/11/16/10-mysterious-swords-from-legend-and-history/
Nice. I might use these swords for an idea for a story.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Not even reading any posts besides the original. Based on what you said, I'd go with a claymore dude. I love katanas as well. But someone with a brute fore style should use a weapon that reflects that.

EDIT: Okay read some of the posts. I agree with Vergillus. Bastard sword sounds ideal , they're bigger then longswords, but smaller then greatswords. Basically they can be used one or two handed

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Not even reading any posts besides the original. Based on what you said, I'd go with a claymore dude. I love katanas as well. But someone with a brute fore style should use a weapon that reflects that.

EDIT: Okay read some of the posts. I agree with Vergillus. Bastard sword sounds ideal , they're bigger then longswords, but smaller then greatswords. Basically they can be used one or two handed

Yeah a bastard sword sounds better.

DragonMaster2010

Longswords are nice but katanas are well balanced for speed & there would be no surrendering swiftness for strength.

However if he's character is Dante strong then a Claymore is a given.
Or Bayonetta strong then it's absolutely no question.

Great strength like that you'd need a very large weapon or incredibly dense material before it even begins slowing down speed of a single swing.
Super strength like that a Claymore would be as swift as a katana, if you want brutality i suggest an Axe or Hammer.
They're used less often as swords especially katanas, longswords or Claymores.

This was another reason I wanted to switch from katanas. I feel like the way I have my character fighting that using a katana would be a handicap because of the dual side of a katana. My character sometimes swings his sword like a bat. Plus I feel like the katana would just break in his hands now that I think about it.

I already have a character using long weapons like that, and her strength comes from her magic as oppose to the main dude's own physical strength.

Top Bottom