• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Katana or a longsword/claymore?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
@DragonMaster2010

However if you're going the magic & supernatural ability route than Katanas, longswords or Claymores could be forged from magic or supernatural materials to withstand the user's strength.

Dante/Bayonetta has used various weapons made to withstand them using them.
This was what I was going for. Besides greatswords look far too slow to swing.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
So I'm having a bit of an issue I need to try and do.

I'm writing a story and I'm having some issues as to what kind of sword my main character should use. At first I chose a katana because I really love katanas, but then I realized that my main character has a very brutal and agressive style of sword fighting and that a longsword or claymore (he's really strong by the way) would fit his brute force sword style.

So which do you guys think I should chose?

Unless it's a magic/sci fi sword, consider what they'll be cutting and the style they'll need to use.

Claymores are for swinging/chopping/stabbing and rely on the point/weight/length of swing for max damage. They are meant for comparatively slower fighting techniques and are usually more durable. Because they are not curved, they're better used for a hack-style chop, rather than a draw-style chop when they contact the target. Their straightness/double edge gives slight advantages with stabbing.

Katanas are for slashing or lunging/stabbing and are designed to be used quickly and minimally. Typically katana are used to go for the throat or head of an opponent, or any other weak spot, since they aren't so effective when used with brute force against something armored, unlike a longsword. Unlike a straight sword, however, the blade curve gives extra cutting purchase when executing a slash against a vulnerable part.

If your character is a brute who likes to hammer shiz into submission, go with the longsword. Katana are not made for that kind of fighting.

Last edited:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Then anime has severely lied to me :cautious:

Anime does. Not unusual for katana to have broken in real sword fights or battles, they're just not made for excessive clashing and bashing for hours on end. More of a precision instrument you'd want to preserve as much as possible with the least contact possible. Also another reason why samurai kept more than one.

You can get around it depending on the rules of your story. But if it's an ordinary katana we're talking, they're not that robust. Against a person without armor on, they're fine, but realistically in battle situations katana would always be dealing with armor.

Top Bottom