• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A future classic? (Retro Gamer)

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Devil May Cry 3.... A future Classic?
Gaming magazines are normally a rare buy for me, but I found myself going through a rack of them in the local newsagent when I came across 'Retro Gamer'.
Retro Gamer is a magazine dedicated to mostly classic cames, and on the front cover in bold lettering I saw "DEVIL MAY CRY 3". (sold!)

The magazine says that Devil May Cry 3 has the potential to be a future classic. So, just for you (Blog readers and fellow Devil May Cry fans) I'll give you a general hint at what its about.

The article begins by saying that the Original Devil May Cry made a 'modern template' for hack-n-slash games and the Dante's Awakening brought more things to it.
The Game saw Capcom's potential and the company at their Very Best.
Capcom felt that Devil May Cry 2 had taken the series 'off-track' and they wanted to make a game that 'had it's own identity'.

Devil May Cry 3's system allowed players to customize and define their gameplay experience. Dante's Awakening also borught back the accomplished art direction and daft humor of Devil May Cry but merged it with an RPG-esque progression system which extended beyond buying combos.
Capcom succeeded in separating Devil May Cry 3 from the previous games. Dante's Awakening sees the Series come full-circle explaining the back-story between twins Dante and Vergil.

Reception from DMC3 was so positive that a 'Special Edition' was released that in 2006 a rare enhanced released from Capcom outside of the Street Fighter series.

The Daft perfection of Dante's Awakening is encapsulated by its opening scene where Dante has set up his nameless shop, is shirtless and enjoying a Pizza, when he is attacked and impaled from all sides by a group of demons.
Dante effortlessly dispatches the demons while 'punching' music out of a jukebox, riding a fan and firing snooker balls and at the end of it all, he finishes his pizza.

The brash, entertaining ridiculousness in DMC3's story and humor is one of its appeals. The other is it combat, which was 'upscaled' from the first game. Including a greater opportunity for customization.

The games fighting styles: Gunslinger, Trickster, Swordmaster and Royal Guard (plus Quicksilver and Doppelganger which could be unlocked later in the game) allowed players the opportunity to adjust the way Dante fights opponents.
Devil May Cry 3 controls are well crafted, the fighting empowers the player and gives the rare gaming experience of operating 100% hand-in-hand with your instincts, a necessity for dealing with punishing difficulty.

"Like last years Demon's Souls, DMC3 makes no apologies for being difficult."

The Boss battles across twenty levels are Capcom's most imaginative ever. From Ice-encrusted Cerberus to Geryon the Timesteed.

It is also one of those games where you die ALOT, but when you complete it, you realize just how much you have learned. (I.e. what to do and how to beat certain enemies).
When you have completely mastered the game and combos, you will feel superior.

I personally have two favorite pieces in the article.
"DMC3's combination of style and hack-n-slash finess will likely never be matched by Modern day Capcom, which has ham-fistedly targeted the Western market this generation and left DMC to wither on the side-lines with a confused fourth installment."
Dante's Awakening is a high point in the hack-n-slash genre.

The other bit (which is a side note):
"In DMC4, Capcom introduced Nero and softened the series. Now with a new developer for its next installment, the series may never recapture the glory of Devil May Cry 3".

(excuse the manner in which this is written, I orginally wrote it for gaming blogs)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
While I agree with many of the points here, I'd prefer if 1 got the spotlight instead of 3. 3's enemies were too gimmicky and so were the bosses, making combat lackluster. :/

V

Oldschool DMC fan
As much as I adore DMC3, I think DMC1 is slightly more deserving of 'classic' status... for the gothic visual overload, heavy feel and bloody combat, varied enemy strategy and multiple boss fights that were each quite intense and 'epic'. It has its flaws of course, some of which they fixed up for the third game, which to me just makes DMC1 that bit more retro-classic. I notice that when a new franchise bursts onto the scene CAPCOM are known to give it their all (not so much these days), but like Resident Evil and some of their other franchises, the first game of a fresh franchise seems to be packed with as much visual/gameplay engagement, creepiness or charm as they can fit into it, and that makes those true classics. Also, Liiiiiiight.

Neat article though!

aka958

Don't trust people
While I agree with many of the points here, I'd prefer if 1 got the spotlight instead of 3. 3's enemies were too gimmicky and so were the bosses, making combat lackluster. :/

Yes, yes it was. I agree. Always "Do this to effectively kill this" and repeat. .-.
All Vergil battles were just dodge his combo, do a combo on him, dodge his combo, do a combo on him, repeat until he is dead. Of course it was kinda epic, but after a few times I grew bored. xP

Chrysander

DMC3 had so many more options than DMC1 and had a more polished and slick system - I don't think the games are comparable at all. DMC1 was the starting point, sure. But so was Street Fighter 1, but that doesn't mean it's a better game than Street Fighter 2. I never go back to DMC1, though I still play DMC3 to this day.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
DMC3 will always hold a special place in longtime DMC fans hearts I suppose.

When something becomes a classic, though, shouldn't it be the original that gets the fame? DMC1 paved the way for the hack 'n slash genre, not to mention had the best enemy/boss/environment designs and had (IMO) the best Dante as well.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
When something becomes a classic, though, shouldn't it be the original that gets the fame? DMC1 paved the way for the hack 'n slash genre, not to mention had the best enemy/boss/environment designs and had (IMO) the best Dante as well.

Hey I think DMC1 is a awesome game to and also deserves to be a instant classic.

But lately many fans have come to love DMC3 even more so the DMC1 (including myself).

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Hey I think DMC1 is a awesome game to and also deserves to be a instant classic.

But lately many fans have come to love DMC3 even more so the DMC1 (including myself).

I agree that DMC3 is great, but it isn't better. The enemy and boss design is what kills it for me. The enemies are all far too gimmicky, all requiring specific strategies whereas the enemies in DMC1 were more freeform for the most part.

Ah what the hell? Why am I even arguing about this? -_- *sigh* I shouldn't try to change other people's favorite. How deplorable of me...

Jerry

Just because it's not the first game doesn't neccessarily mean that it can't be a classic. Heck the entire series could be a classic

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Just because it's not the first game doesn't neccessarily mean that it can't be a classic. Heck the entire series could be a classic

Yeah, you have a good point there. Heh, it's kind of silly, me arguing about it. ^.^;

Kammosjuttu

Well, what do you know. It seems that in Finland, at least, Devil May Cry is already considered a classic (as it should! :D), regarding some older articles I read from the most popular game magazine in the country. I thought about posting up translated images of the two DMC3 articles (one made based on a prerelease version, the other one on a retailer version), but then I realized that for some reason the option to load pictures from one's computer isn't valid in this forum section. I wonder why?

But anyway, thanks for your writing about that article, Vergil'sBitch, it was nice to read. :D

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Im sure dmc could be able to "recapture the glory" again, just the story should remain strictly on dante and his evolution. No more trying to replace him and telling an old womens story. Just keep the facts and make it fun.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Im sure dmc could be able to "recapture the glory" again, just the story should remain strictly on dante and his evolution. No more trying to replace him and telling an old womens story. Just keep the facts and make it fun.
sooo Capcom WOULD beg Kamiya-san to return? :D
and by old woman, do u mean Matier?

Top Bottom