• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Devil May Cry review from a DMC's outsider

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Since DmC's first anniversary is now, I found this review from a guy who isn't even a fan of DMC.
Most of us are fans of this or that version of Dante or , at least, DMC game, so our opinion will always being biased.
So, let's look how an non fan sees the franchise:( take it with a grain of salt and enjoy ).

http://gamebabble.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/quickview-dmc-devil-may-cry/

PS: This Gel isn't me.He is a guy and I'm a girl.My Gel comes from Gelsadra.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Also hes very misconcepted. Ninja Theory never said they hated the original DMC series. Hell Tameen even said he use to love playing DMC1 as a kid. When he said what was cool back then isnt cool anymore, its not like he himself actually thought that.

Plus NT never even said DmC would be more mature. They said they'd focus more on story.

For a guy who says he's never played DmC, it sounds like he follows the crowd of every other fan of the original series mainstream.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The review was smart; it was fair, it didn't baby the original series, but it sure as f*ck wasn't going to baby the new one, either. NT's attitude really is the biggest problem with the way they developed the game. I've been saying it for awhile, and I've noticed a great deal of reviewers are saying the same thing. They acted like complete a-holes, and projected that through their game.

And again, lo and behold, I'm not the only one pointing out that fans of the original series weren't crying out about the damn hair. I still can't believe all the b.s. they tried to pull about that, in particular.

Honestly, it's because of NT's poor PR handling that I can't be bothered with the reboot. I'm sure that I'd otherwise find the game fun, if I wasn't against sucking up to a company that decided to act like a bunch of f*cking twelve-year-olds, and deliberately create a divide between fans.

Anyone who disagrees with me, you can say what you want, you can think what you want-but let's be honest, they fed off of all the negativity they created in the media and between us, the fans.

In short, the reviewer had his sh*t together (for the most part, imo anyway).

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Also hes very misconcepted. Ninja Theory never said they hated the original DMC series. Hell Tameen even said he use to love playing DMC1 as a kid. When he said what was cool back then isnt cool anymore, its not like he himself actually thought that.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I nearly forgot to address that. You're right, NT didn't say they hated the series. But, I still maintain they portrayed a very ignorant view of what "cool" is. But, eh. To each their own.

DragonMaster2010

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I nearly forgot to address that. You're right, NT didn't say they hated the series. But, I still maintain they portrayed a very ignorant view of what "cool" is. But, eh. To each their own.

Actually Capcom were the ones who told them what kind of DMC they wanted and what was cool in the west. In fact most of this "cool" provado NT have been showing were off from Capcom's assholeness. This coming from the same company who said RE fans are too old is the reason RE6 failed, and cancel Megaman just as they confirmed it.

NT was no more then just the soft pillow fans can lay on to while Capcom suplies the words for them to say in a way to cause controversy and otherwise more attention.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Actually Capcom were the ones who told them what kind of DMC they wanted and what was cool in the west. In fact most of this "cool" provado NT have been showing were off from Capcom's assholeness. This coming from the same company who said RE fans are too old is the reason RE6 failed, and cancel Megaman just as they confirmed it.

NT was no more then just the soft pillow fans can lay on to while Capcom suplies the words for them to say in a way to cause controversy and otherwise more attention.

So basically NT is "the fall guy" in all of this? I'll buy that the majority of the people working for NT aren't to blame; but Tameem...I still dislike that guy. I've seen more than enough of his interviews, and his attitude rubs me the wrong way.

You're right, though. Capcom isn't clean, either. Again, the whole company isn't to blame, but certain developers are. I wish I could remember that one guy's last name (Alex) but he was just as bad, if not worse than Tameem for all the PR crap.

Capcom needs to get their **** together; they need to stop pointing the finger at the fans every time something goes wrong with their games. I highly doubt the age of RE fans has anything to do with why RE6 failed. I'll admit, I haven't really played the series; I like some of what I see, but for whatever reason, I just never got into it. That being said, age has never been an issue; there are gamers of all ages-there are people still gaming well into their sixties, so Capcom might want to try again with their weak-a$$ed argument. :/

I'm going to miss the Blue Bomber, though. :(

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Yes.Strange, ha?:wink: My username came from a villain and, at same time, a tragic figure from Gatchaman. Ironically she is too a woman under disguise who everybody thinks she is a man.

Now about Tameen:
While he could be a kind of a jerk( or at least interpreted as such), Capcom used his face and argumentation to hide behind him , making him the "bad one" of the scene.Now Capcom are just tasting the flavour of their karma.Too bad...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think this review focused a little too much on stuff that really has nothing to do with the game's quality. Reviews are supposed to refrain from using a whole lot of personal feeling in it, where the only use of "I" comes from telling the reviewer's experience while playing the game. We're not supposed to have a background on what they like or don't like, because that is not pertinent to the review of the game's quality.

Then of course, there's the lack of sources and spreading hearsay regarding the things Ninja Theory has supposedly done, which in and of itself is bad, and also useless when it comes to a review; they might as well tell us what Tameem had for breakfast during the game's development.

This is less a game review and more an opinion piece with a score on it. There's a reason why schools of journalism exist, to teach people things like how to write reviews, it's not just something you can do.

DragonMaster2010

they might as well tell us what Tameem had for breakfast during the game's development.

He had turkey bacon and tofu eggs. TURKEY BACON AND TOFU EGGS! What, is he some sort of perfect saint and is too good for regular bacon?! What's wrong with regular eggs?! Does he think his royal tongue can't taste commoner eggs?! WORST DEVELOPER EVA!! I HOP HE DIES AND LOSES HIS JOB!!!

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I think this review focused a little too much on stuff that really has nothing to do with the game's quality. Reviews are supposed to refrain from using a whole lot of personal feeling in it, where the only use of "I" comes from telling the reviewer's experience while playing the game. We're not supposed to have a background on what they like or don't like, because that is not pertinent to the review of the game's quality.

Then of course, there's the lack of sources and spreading hearsay regarding the things Ninja Theory has supposedly done, which in and of itself is bad, and also useless when it comes to a review; they might as well tell us what Tameem had for breakfast during the game's development.

This is less a game review and more an opinion piece with a score on it. There's a reason why schools of journalism exist, to teach people things like how to write reviews, it's not just something you can do.

Fair point. They did eventually get around to the game's mechanics, but I think they did take more time focusing on the PR. That itself isn't a flaw-if it had simply been an opinion piece, as you said. But as a gaming review, there should have been more emphasis on the gaming aspect, itself.

Still, I can't help agreeing with it, but then again, I'm not a reviewer. :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
PS: This Gel isn't me.He is a guy and I'm a girl.My Gel comes from Gelsadra.
Girls!? What do we DO!??!?!

I mean, ahem...
tumblr_lmfafjGAct1qh17feo1_500.gif

In all seriousness, I find it the most interesting that the opinion of an 'outsider' would be valuable. The game has the name Devil May Cry on it so it should be addressed as one to those who would be it's consumers but at the same time all games should be viewed as separate entities, even if they are sequels, since they must present what they have to offer on their own. The only exception to that would be games that don't change with every sequel. I'd say this in it self was worth a separate discussion but at this point it's almost guaranteed that it'll get derailed in no time.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
For a guy who is unbiased, he appears pretty biased. Honestly, I stopped reading the review somewhere in the middle, when he stated that Ninja Theory openly said that they don't like the DMC franchise. Now, I am not sure if that was some sort of an inside joke (cause he seems to have tried a lot of those in his 'unbiased' review) or if he was referring to the wig scene, or maybe he has found such information through a source I am not familliar with, but this seems a lot like what one would say if he was riding along his pre-pubescent buddies in the hate bandwagon.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
For a guy who is unbiased, he appears pretty biased. Honestly, I stopped reading the review somewhere in the middle, when he stated that Ninja Theory openly said that they don't like the DMC franchise. Now, I am not sure if that was some sort of an inside joke (cause he seems to have tried a lot of those in his 'unbiased' review) or if he was referring to the wig scene, or maybe he has found such information through a source I am not familliar with, but this seems a lot like what one would say if he was riding along his pre-pubescent buddies in the hate bandwagon.

Certainly a little biased (which idealistically isn't supposed to be the case in a gaming review, but often times is). The hate thing isn't necessarily true, but for many people, myself included (and not all people get this impression from one another, but based on conclusions they've reached on their own) it doesn't seem like NT respected the original series, either.

Personally, I don't think they did; or rather, I don't believe certain members did. If they respected the old series, they would have paid it homage while creating the new version, not flipped it off both in their PR handlings and in the game, itself. Like I said, members of Capcom are a-holes as well for the exact same things.

But, as others have stated, the focal point of the game review should have been on the gaming experience itself, instead of mostly on PR issues and regurgitated info about NT "hating the game". I'm sure they didn't hate it, but nor do I believe Tameem when he claimed to have loved the old series; the proof is in the pudding, as they say, and the way he managed things says a lot more to me than his claims ever will.

All that being said, I'm not one of those crazies who wishes him dead; I couldn't care less what happens to the man, one way or another. I just don't like him, that's all.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Personally, I don't think they did; or rather, I don't believe certain members did. If they respected the old series, they would have paid it homage while creating the new version, not flipped it off both in their PR handlings and in the game, itself. Like I said, members of Capcom are a-holes as well for the exact same things.

Just curious, but what exactly makes you feel the way you do in this regard? Maybe there's some insight I can give from my side of things or something, since I pored over info on the game since its announcement and such.

Plus, I'm also just a curious fellow who likes to understand the "why" of things :tongue:

Certainly a little biased (which idealistically isn't supposed to be the case in a gaming review, but often times is). The hate thing isn't necessarily true, but for many people, myself included (and not all people get this impression from one another, but based on conclusions they've reached on their own) it doesn't seem like NT respected the original series, either.

But, as others have stated, the focal point of the game review should have been on the gaming experience itself, instead of mostly on PR issues and regurgitated info about NT "hating the game". I'm sure they didn't hate it, but nor do I believe Tameem when he claimed to have loved the old series; the proof is in the pudding, as they say, and the way he managed things says a lot more to me than his claims ever will.

All that being said, I'm not one of those crazies who wishes him dead; I couldn't care less what happens to the man, one way or another. I just don't like him, that's all.

They really do pay homage to it, the game is essentially the events leading up to DMC3. The deviltrigger and how it turns dante's coat red. The way the gameplay feels so much like a modern version of DMC3. I really think there is a cultural misunderstanding about the wig scene. It really isn't meant to be offensive in the slightest, its merely a small bit of ironic humor, since dante's hair grows out and turns white by the end of the game.

I'm also not sure why you think they didn't play DMC, they most likely did, but remember this was a statement from a game designer, so it is probably better to judge how much of the game's actual mechanics and gameplay still retain the core of what made DMC a dmc game. To me, and I think lots of gamers, the DMC series has always been the definitive hack and slash for stylish combat, because it was the only action game that emphasized player creativity with its fluid free flow combat. So, if you judge Tameem's and NT's statements within the parameters of game design, it shouldn't seem suspect at all that Tameem and the people at Ninja Theory did actually love the game when they were younger.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You're a girl?! 0_o
My reaction to Loopy
He had turkey bacon and tofu eggs. TURKEY BACON AND TOFU EGGS! What, is he some sort of perfect saint and is too good for regular bacon?! What's wrong with regular eggs?! Does he think his royal tongue can't taste commoner eggs?! WORST DEVELOPER EVA!! I HOP HE DIES AND LOSES HIS JOB!!!
To be fair, Tofu DOES suck.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Here you go.

I can't tell if you were showing me that they were paying homage to the original series in the reboot, or if you were throwing me a bone to make me feel better about the whole thing. :p Either way, informative. I guess it just comes down to perspective. I can't promise that I'll ever really like the reboot...but I'm willing to try and understand.

So many feels...you can tell he wanted to kiss Lady, but when she turned her head, he respected her wishes and didn't take it from her by force. Such a gentleman. ;)

Top Bottom