• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
- The original dante wasn't a rebel he was just a party boy who was avoiding his demonic heritage and his father's mantle of being the strongest demon.

- Wait.. wasn't that what he was doing until kat&vergil confronted him? and he still said that he didn't give a **** about it if anything vergil was more of a "rebel" as he actually had a goal in mind and wasn't a complete tool like dante.
Yeah, but I think the idea was that (in DMC3) he does not conform to society's standards, and does whatever he wants. He has no relationships with humans, no apparent relations with demons either in DMC3 (except for Vergil). All he does is hunt demons, which the human world probably doesn't even want him to do. He just used his father's money to open a demon hunting shop. In that sense, he is rebellious. And he's a loner. He could be more rebellious than he actually was, I'll give you that.

True, but that's because Virility had no effect on him. If he weren't rebellious, he would be a contributing member of society rather than living somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a trailer... though not a member of Limbo's society, since he was being hunted by Mundus, of course.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
WTF? so DmC was originality going to be full on dark and bloody and Capcom gave it the boot? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? Devil may cry was born out of a resident evil game it makes no sense to avoid going back to the roots!
DMC 1 has gore so WTF? its quite evident that without kamiya's vision behind it itsuno doesn't even know what DMC is supposed to be his DMC is not supposed to be an M rated game lol but i still believe that the fan backlash did have a considerable amount of effect on the development especially after watching this.
Well DMC1 is still under 16 so it's fine. Also DmC had gore. But apparently it meant that NT would have gave something really grim and dark, and Capcom just axed it before it was born.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
one of the things i really hated in DmC was that Sparda was completely ruined
he went from the Legendary Dark Knight who single handedly stopped hell from invading earth

to banished forever we can't save him

I think they did it like that because they didn't want DmC's story to have to revolve around Sparda. They wanted Dante to be the legend and have him craft out his own legacy.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
and there's graffiti because... gritty? Because graffiti is 'cool'? Because... rebels. ''Dante is a rebel. Rebels use graffiti''. Wow, original.
You wouldn't happen to be making fun of graffiti artist are you, because we prefer not to insulted or people to look at the art of graffiti and think its to be "rebellious" because that's a very ignorant statement.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
You wouldn't happen to be making fun of graffiti artist are you, because we prefer not to insulted or people to look at the art of graffiti and think its to be "rebellious" because that's a very ignorant statement.
No need to feel insulted. Well, it is a fact that graffiti is often associated with rebellious behavior. I'm not saying graffiti artists themselves feel like they're being rebellious by doing it. It's just that people do associate it with rebellious behavior, and people not 'giving a sh*t' etc. After all, people see it as vandalizing state property, and vandalization is often seen as rebellious behavior. It's often used as a statement against the government, and the paint is applied on easily viewable walls, you know?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It was too great a change from the original source material IMO. I'm a Devil May Cry fan. Not a fan of DMC "surgically altered" to appeal to Western tastes and current attitudes/topical shiz because CAPCOM wants more bucks from the franchise.

That's my reason for not caring about it.

Its army of self appointed white knights/forum missionaries didn't help either during the "fanwar" phase.

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
That's my reason for not caring about it.

That's a good way of putting it too. I don't hate DmC so much as I just don't care about it.

I didn't even try to buy DmC until about six months after release, but my local Gamestop didn't have the PS3 version (my preferred version) and I just sort of shrugged and didn't even bother looking anywhere else. Then, I just kinda forgot about it until it became free with PS+. I probably still wouldn't have played to this day it if it wasn't made available to me out of, I don't know, "coincidence," I guess?

I just didn't go out of my way to get it at all and after playing it I don't regret it one bit. If DmC2 is made, it's gonna take a small miracle from Capcom/whoever develops it to make it a day 1 purchase for me.

Right now, the only surefire positive aspect of me getting DmC2 is getting the trophies, continuing to have every trophy in the Devil May Cry franchise, and giving myself a false sense of worth. But that can wait a few months after release for all I care.

Besides, Capcom could accomplish that by patching trophies into DMC4. :grumpy:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Pretty much what Ieyasu said. I was p*ssed about the changes at first, but with time, I've slipped into indifference. It p*ssed me off, not because they rebooted, but because they didn't give a damn conclusion to the classic franchise, first. As usual, they copped out when they hear dollar signs calling them...bakas.

Besides, Capcom could accomplish that by patching trophies into DMC4. :grumpy:

This! All of f*cking this! Of course, people with the 360 don't have this issue, but they short-changed those of us with PS3. I mean honestly--would it have taken so much of their time to fix this one thing? I've put a lot of time in DMC4...I would like some trophies, lol.

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
Yeah, and with the "accomplishments" menu in the game the code has gotta be like half-written already.

DMC4 would also clearly be the hardest game in the franchise to platinum, and I want that checked off the list. Plats/100%s for hard games always feel special, though Ive only really gotten a few.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well DMC1 is still under 16 so it's fine. Also DmC had gore. But apparently it meant that NT would have gave something really grim and dark, and Capcom just axed it before it was born.
Not really DMC 1 is rated "M" and only DMC 1 has blood everywhere... DmC&DMC 4 just has the weird gooey stuff..

I don't see how being "Gory&dark" isn't the right direction it was kinda what DMC was all about.
Yeah, but I think the idea was that (in DMC3) he does not conform to society's standards, and does whatever he wants.
Well not really.. if you watch the animated series you'll see that dante actually lives like a normal person he has friends,isn't socially awkward and he doesn't go around saying "**** you" to everyone..
He just used his father's money to open a demon hunting shop.
Hmm... that's extremely speculative i thought he only lived his mother and his mother was killed and he was separated from his family at a very young age so idk how he can inherit his father's money... he probably lived with foster parents before opening his shop.
If he weren't rebellious, he would be a contributing member of society rather than living somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a trailer...
LOL so does that mean homeless people and basement dwellers are "rebels"?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Yeah, but I think the idea was that (in DMC3) he does not conform to society's standards, and does whatever he wants.

- Well not really.. if you watch the animated series you'll see that dante actually lives like a normal person he has friends,isn't socially awkward and he doesn't go around saying "**** you" to everyone..

He just used his father's money to open a demon hunting shop.

- Hmm... that's extremely speculative i thought he only lived his mother and his mother was killed and he was separated from his family at a very young age so idk how he can inherit his father's money... he probably lived with foster parents before opening his shop.

If he weren't rebellious, he would be a contributing member of society rather than living somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a trailer...
- LOL so does that mean homeless people and basement dwellers are "rebels"?
I was talking about DMC3. The animated series is completely different from DMC3, and some don't even consider it to be in line with the games. In DMC3, he has no apparent relationships, aside from the one with Lady. He also doesn't seem part of society in DMC3. He just does his own thing as a mercenary. So in a sense, he doesn't work to support society, he's just working for some individuals who use him as a 'problem-solver'. He mostly works for himself, though.

Well, if he didn't get money from his father, where else would he have gotten the money to buy a building? Sparda was an aristocrat, and I doubt Dante would have had a normal job if he got attacked by demons all the time. Remember, Mundus has no doubt always been after Dante, and demons seem to naturally flock to Dante.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Anyway, the original debate was that DMC3 Dante was exactly like DmC Dante. I really don't think he is. His entire personality is different. Do they sort of look alike? Yeah. Are they roughly the same age? Sure. Are they both a bit 'anti-everything' sometimes? I'd say so. But that's pretty much where it ends, IMO.

Last edited:

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
The comment about Dante's hair was of the first reactions to the first DmC trailer. They didn't like the fact that his hair was black, because white hair signifies he's a demon. So they thought maybe he wasn't a demon anymore in DmC. I guess the black hair also signified that Devil May Cry was being completely overhauled, and that it had nothing to do with DMC.
Sadly, that comment got blown out of proportion a little by the people who preferred DmC. It was used as a way to get back at the haters. They started implying that ''the biggest problem with DmC according to DMC fans, was Dante's black hair''. That's just not true - it was just a comment that was made by a very vocal minority of the fans, and it got parroted sometimes by people who were too ignorant to think for themselves.
And that sums-up the "White Hair Event" (And by proxy; the "Emo" and "Gay" comments.) A initial knee-jerk reaction made by a vocally ignorant minority of detractors that has now become a knee-jerk reaction made by a vocally ignorant minority of defenders and game journalists.

This! All of f*cking this! Of course, people with the 360 don't have this issue, but they short-changed those of us with PS3. I mean honestly--would it have taken so much of their time to fix this one thing? I've put a lot of time in DMC4...I would like some trophies, lol.
Hate to twist the knife even further, but it has been proven with Uncharted 1. Naughty Dog patched the game to convert their "Medal" system into Trophies.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I was talking about DMC3. The animated series is completely different from DMC3, and some don't even consider it to be in line with the games.
Not really... it is canon and shows much more about Dante's normal life than just demon hunting.
In DMC3, he has no apparent relationships, aside from the one with Lady.
how do you know that? its kinda obvious that someone would have took care of him after his mother died and he also has a strong bond with his brother so no he does have relationships the game just doesn't focus on that.
He also doesn't seem part of society in DMC3.
he works as a demon hunter kinda like a self-employed private detective of sorts,typical vampire/demon hunter.
So in a sense, he doesn't work to support society
I mean he saves the world from demons everyday so that's kinda being altruistic most of the time he doesn't even get paid properly.
where else would he have gotten the money to buy a building?
It might be on lease or he could have borrowed some money from his adoptive parents.
Anyway, the original debate was that DMC3 Dante was exactly like DmC Dante.
Yes he is.. he has the same "i'm so cool" callous pretentious attitude sure his backstory is a little bit different and his demeanor&appearance is drastically different but personality wise he's very similar to DMC 3 dante... originally he was meant to be a more serious and engaging character but because of fan backlash he was changed to be more like the original dante(as in itsuno's partyboy dante).

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Not really... it is canon and shows much more about Dante's normal life than just demon hunting.

how do you know that? its kinda obvious that someone would have took care of him after his mother died and he also has a strong bond with his brother so no he does have relationships the game just doesn't focus on that.

he works as a demon hunter kinda like a self-employed private detective of sorts,typical vampire/demon hunter.I mean he saves the world from demons everyday so that's kinda being altruistic most of the time he doesn't even get paid properly.

It might be on lease or he could have borrowed some money from his adoptive parents.

Yes he is.. he has the same "i'm so cool" callous pretentious attitude sure his backstory is a little bit different and his demeanor&appearance is drastically different but personality wise he's very similar to DMC 3 dante... originally he was meant to be a more serious and engaging character but because of fan backlash he was changed to be more like the original dante(as in itsuno's partyboy dante).
- Nonetheless, the anime takes place when Dante is 28, so when he is older than in DMC3. No sense in comparing young Dante to older Dante, when they are two completely different people in terms of personality.

- Because the games don't show him having other relationships, and he acts pretty detached. Uses humor as a shield, for example. Yeah, obviously he has a relationship with Vergil (though NOT a close relationship). I'm talking about nonfamilial relationships.

- So... not really part of society. I don't think anybody asked him to hunt demons, and gave him an allowance to rent a place or something. I'd say he set all of this up himself, and then took whatever money random people could offer him. That doesn't mean he's part of society, it just means he takes people's money.

- None of the games mention any adoptive parents. You're saying it's far-fetched that I think he might've inherited a large stash of money from Sparda (you know, the former *ruler of the human world*), but you think him having adoptive parents, even though there is no evidence for it, is *not* far-fetched?

''Yes he is.. he has the same "i'm so cool" callous pretentious attitude''

- And that makes him exactly the same as DMC Dante in terms of personality? O...kaaay.

''his demeanor is drastically different but personality wise he's very similar to DMC 3 dante''

- Does not compute. Demeanor is directly linked to personality. Because DmC Dante's demeanor is drastically different from DMC Dante's, we can't conclude DMC Dante has the same personality.

- Old Dante does say stuff like 'this is gonna be one hell of a party' and 'let's rock', but I haven't seen him actually form truly meaningful relationships with anyone. Would he hang out with people? Possibly... but that is something completely different than having (friendly or romantic) relationships with them. I'm just going with what the games tell me. But if the anime says something completely different, I'll gladly concede this point.

Last edited:

Keaton

Premium
I actually LOVED this game.
I thought it was superbly executed and was a well deserved successor to the series - the combat was balanced, the weapons were suitably deep - I didn't have a sour moment with this. Heck, even the terrible script and the AWFUL succubus weren't enough to put me off.

My ONLY complain was that Vergil wasn't badass enough.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
one of the things i really hated in DmC was that Sparda was completely ruined
he went from the Legendary Dark Knight who single handedly stopped hell from invading earth

to banished forever we can't save him
How the hell can you ruin what Sparda was? Sparda was never a character, he was a plot device and something Devil May Cry pulled out of its a$$ to explain something because having an imagination is hard for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom