• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I just wrote a book up there describing my problems with the game and not once did I complain his hair wasn't white. In fact, I made fun of people who said that with my last line.

I'm honestly more concerned with the redundant title.
lol XD Well, I think Dante's Rebellion sword sucks. Secretly, that's the entire reason for why I don't like DmC much.

:p

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
If it were an original IP, I think I'd do the same thing I did with Spec Ops The Line and Binary Domain, play 2 or 3 hours, give up out of boredom and forget about it. At least I wouldn't hate it so much for ruining something dear to me.

Did you not get to the white phosphorus part of Spec Ops?

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
I just wrote a book up there describing my problems with the game and not once did I complain his hair wasn't white. In fact, I made fun of people who said that with my last line.

I'm honestly more concerned with the redundant title.

And it's funny too because what you stated I agree 100%
That's exactly what my problem is with the reboot.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't know about it now, but a lot of people seemed to hate this game, especially at launch. I just wanted to see why. If anyone DOES hate game, could you explain? Its no where near as good as 3 or 4, but I think it's a nice gateway game for newcomers.
Sure!
1. I hate that Vergil looks way smexier than Dante. This is a BIG no-no.
2. I hate that Dante looks like he's run into a wall face-first. Or like someone blindfolded the person who sculpted him in 3D. And that haircut. Like... I can't even say GET A HAIRCUT because the cut is just...let's say too damaged to fix. Black or white, it's awful. Tameem should not become a hairdresser if NT ever closes down.
3. The. Friggin. Lock-on. I'm lost without it. Really, really lost. To the extent where I end up button-mashing because I dragged myself to the wrong/pulled the wrong enemy my way. I HATE button-mashing.
4. The DT. Am I going to be the first to say I played DmC without the use of the DT? WHICH IS INSANE. This is DEVIL MAY CRY. You can't NOT have a DEVIL TRIGGER. (Yes, I know there is one, No, I still haven't executed a bloody DT, thanks NT)
5. I hate that Reuben wasn't new Dante's voice actor.

So for the most part, my hate toward this game is superficial.
They could have made Dante way hotter, whether his hair was black or green.

With all of that said, I was one of few who went gushing and bouncing in excitement and praising the potential of DmC around these here parts. And yes there was a lot of fan backlash, not only at NT but at myself and every other member who were open to giving the game a chance.

Basically, what it came down to, and I might get some heat for saying it as it is yet again, is that whilst DmC was being sussed out by NT and Capcom BEFORE the First Trailer, the majority of fans around the forum were sulking and whining about how Dante was becoming stale. Old. Boring. We want something new.

It turns out the majority of the fanbase didn't know what they wanted since NT smacked down EXACTLY what the fans were BEGGING for all the time, only to get it tossed back in their faces. Yep.....yep....:meh:...yep that's what went down in a nutshell. Well, here on the forums at least. There were all kinds of boycotting and petitions and extremists marching all over the internet in protest.

So, in short: CAPCOM shouldn't listen to the majority of the fanbase in the first place. End of.

one of the things i really hated in DmC was that Sparda was completely ruined
he went from the Legendary Dark Knight who single handedly stopped hell from invading earth

to banished forever we can't save him
Well Sparda was technically turned into a pig, bound and apple-gagged for slaughter, according to DmC. But totally agree with this.
THEY KILLED SPARDA.

That was like the one thing I didn't want NT to touch. Why couldn't they have just left Sparda tf alone?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
It was different and no one wanted different when the original series didn't even have a good finish.
That's...pretty much it.

As much as I like DMC4, it wasn't a fitting conclusion to the series whatsoever, especially given how it raised more questions than it answered. I don't so much find quarrel with the reboot, or the developers behind it...because the game itself was good. I hate the decision behind the game.

Capcom had no idea where to go next with the series, and rather than finish what they started for the sake of devoted fans, they took the epitome of lazy swandives and just decided to reboot it from a Western perspective. They themselves weren't making it, and DmC wasn't nearly as expensive to make as DMC4. For them, it was a cheap and painless cash-grab....and as someone who's a fan of both the reboot and the original series, I find that motivation insulting.

You have a universe with established characters and lore (as loose and poorly-explained as they may be)...you introduced numerous plot-holes and unanswered questions in DMC4...at least finish the old series before you reboot it. I read a lot of comics like Dredd and Daredevil in my spare time, most of which have been the subject of numerous reboots...but they all finish the continuity before they reboot the universe. It's an unspoken rule, and Capcom **** all over it for the sake of making money.

If there's any reason why I think someone else should take the reigns to Devil May Cry from Capcom, this is it in a nut-shell. They don't know how to responsibly handle even an IP as niche as Devil May Cry, let alone their bigger franchises.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Whole argument about "people hate change" is actually sounds more like justification to bash "haters". Actually people should consider that if something in franchises changes, it doesn't mean everybody should jump on hype train and praise it. Sometimes it's just changes makes it unlikable for certain group of people. I like both Darkness' games despite them being completely different from each other and additionally completely different from comic, yet i like all 3 incarnations of Darkness. Yet if i dislike DmC I don't think I need justification to dislike it's edgy dialogues and grounded characters. So that's how it is. Opinions exist in this world.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
What Innsmouth said. DmC is drastically different from the old Devil May Cry. And yeah, we all know that was the point.
One problem is that DMC got dropped like a hot brick, without its story being ended first. At least if DMC ended, people wouldn't be so p*ssed because of DMC's change into DmC.

And even if DMC ended properly with a great last installment, I still wouldn't play DmC or any sequel to it, because it's not Devil May Cry to me. It lacks a number of ingredients too important for me to ignore. Combo-centric gameplay is not all that DMC is.

Also, many people just don't like DmC because they don't find it a very good game. There should be more respect for that. No bashing of everyone who happens to prefer DMC.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't know about it now, but a lot of people seemed to hate this game, especially at launch. I just wanted to see why. If anyone DOES hate game, could you explain? Its no where near as good as 3 or 4, but I think it's a nice gateway game for newcomers.
Well at launch we were all eagerly waiting for the next DMC game and we saw this >

People lost their **** because of how overly dark and edgy this was not to mention this dante is nothing like the dante in DmC game we got he was not funny and he was just like DMC 2's dante he has an odd habit of smoking like how DMC 2 dante had an odd habit of coin-tossing.

Mainly its just bad bad timing for this game people were just getting hyped for the next DMC game after playing DMC 4 and suddenly they are confronted with this alienating dark reboot.

In the hindsight it seems like DMC fanbase just ruined what DmC could have been (storywise at least)the dante in the trailer was shown to be more mentally unstable and the game also seemed to have more of a psychological premise than a social commentary and angels lol

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
In the hindsight it seems like DMC fanbase just ruined what DmC could have been (storywise at least)the dante in the trailer was shown to be more mentally unstable and the game also seemed to have more of a psychological premise than a social commentary and angels lol
Well, actually it weren't fans, but rather Capcom who ruined it. In interview after game's release they told, that game should have been much, much darker as it was in final release, but Capcom was displeased with it, since they wanted to stay under 18+ radar. Because of that they were forced to tone down whole story.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
*People lost their **** because of how overly dark and edgy this was not to mention this dante is nothing like the dante in DmC game we got he was not funny and he was just like DMC 2's dante he has an odd habit of smoking like how DMC 2 dante had an odd habit of coin-tossing.

*Mainly its just bad bad timing for this game people were just getting hyped for the next DMC game after playing DMC 4 and suddenly they are confronted with this alienating dark reboot.
*I don't think that was the main reason, but it sure did shock people and added more fuel to the fire. If it was at least more clearly announced that DMC was being dropped and rebooted, it wouldn't have been so shocking. I remember not having heard anything about a reboot until I saw that trailer.

*Not just because of how edgy it tried to be, but also because of how cliché it was. I know, DMC was pretty much the master of clichés, but when I heard DmC was supposed to be more 'mature' and 'western', I just facepalmed. Here we have a cliché Dante being interrogated by a guy with an incredibly cliché voice, and there's graffiti because... gritty? Because graffiti is 'cool'? Because... rebels. ''Dante is a rebel. Rebels use graffiti''. Wow, original. The only thing that didn't seem overly cliché was the way Limbo looked in the background. But for some reason, they even changed that. It's not as dark, creepy and contrasty in the final product. Contrasty... yeah, that's an actual word :laugh:

Also, Capcom were the ones who changed some things, like Innsmouth said. They weren't happy with their version of Dante, and probably not even with Limbo, which is why it was changed. I think Ninja Theory said that in an interview somewhere.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well, actually it weren't fans, but rather Capcom who ruined it. In interview after game's release they told, that game should have been much, much darker as it was in final release, but Capcom was displeased with it, since they wanted to stay under 18+ radar. Because of that they were forced to tone down whole story.
It was all because of the fan backlash,Capcom was just the publisher NT had full creative freedom over DmC and yet they were forced to make changes because of the fear of their game failing.
*Not just because of how edgy it tried to be, but also because of how cliché it was. I know, DMC was pretty much the master of clichés, but when I heard DmC was supposed to be more 'mature' and 'western'
Well yeah it was "supposed" to be until Ninja theory just remade original psychologically traumatized dante into basically DMC 3 dante's clone.

lol DmC dante was more like an apathetic womanizer than a rebel sure by the end of the game he does develop but throughout the game he's just mostly trying to imitate DMC 3's dante.

I don't believe that Capcom had any hand in this reboot whatsoever it was Ninja theory's baby Capcom merely published it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It was all because of the fan backlash,Capcom was just the publisher NT had full creative freedom over DmC and yet they were forced to make changes because of the fear of their game failing.Well yeah it was "supposed" to be until Ninja theory just remade original psychologically traumatized dante into basically DMC 3 dante's clone.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/39...-long-distance-romance-with-ninja-theory-that

>
"The original concept art had some pretty grotesque depictions," Eshiro recalled. "As the producer, I figured there was no way we could have this get a Z rating, so I had them make things a level or two milder. But it was like, I'd turn my eyes away for a bit, and then there'd be heads flying off bodies, guts all over the place. I don't know how many times I said 'No, this'll make them give it a Z!'"

This answers your question. NT never had full creative freedom like media tried to promote it.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well yeah it was "supposed" to be until Ninja theory just remade original psychologically traumatized dante into basically DMC 3 dante's clone.

lol DmC dante was more like an apathetic womanizer than a rebel sure by the end of the game he does develop but throughout the game he's just mostly trying to imitate DMC 3's dante.

I don't believe that Capcom had any hand in this reboot whatsoever it was Ninja theory's baby Capcom merely published it.
I don't know, I don't find him to be exactly the same as DMC3 Dante. DMC3 Dante did not have a punk-like style, didn't live in a trailer as though he were homeless, and he was not a womanizer. He did act like he was, but he makes sexual jokes and innuendo often. Doesn't mean he's a womanizer. In fact, he's never lucky with women. He says so himself in DMC3. He also wasn't as aggressive as DmC Dante when it comes to dialog - he was more laid back.

The idea behind DMC Dante is that he is a rebel, much like Sparda. That's one of the reasons why his sword is called Rebellion. Hell, in DmC, Dante even says ''let's start some rebellion'' or something like that. If he weren't rebellious, he would be drinking Virility and doing other stuff that the population of Limbo does. Part of the concept behind Dante is that he is a rebel, so I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

Capcom instructed them how to do the gameplay. Capcom also told them to change Dante, because they didn't like it, and thought it would upset too many people. I know this, because I remember Ninja Theory saying it. Anyway, this is not important to this thread.

Last edited:

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
I also think DMC3 Dante was a fun-loving, generally happy guy.

DmC's Dante just came off as bitter to me. Like he'd rather be doing anything else and like he was killing demons out of anger/hatred/revenge rather than for a good time.

I really think he has zero similarities to DMC3's Dante other than saying a cheesy one-liner every now and then, but maybe it's just me.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/39...-long-distance-romance-with-ninja-theory-that

>
"The original concept art had some pretty grotesque depictions," Eshiro recalled. "As the producer, I figured there was no way we could have this get a Z rating, so I had them make things a level or two milder. But it was like, I'd turn my eyes away for a bit, and then there'd be heads flying off bodies, guts all over the place. I don't know how many times I said 'No, this'll make them give it a Z!'"

This answers your question. NT never had full creative freedom like media tried to promote it.
WTF? so DmC was originality going to be full on dark and bloody and Capcom gave it the boot? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? Devil may cry was born out of a resident evil game it makes no sense to avoid going back to the roots!
DMC 1 has gore so WTF? its quite evident that without kamiya's vision behind it itsuno doesn't even know what DMC is supposed to be his DMC is not supposed to be an M rated game lol but i still believe that the fan backlash did have a considerable amount of effect on the development especially after watching this.

This just reminds me of how POP kindred blades was axed and Two thrones was released made by using its assets such a shame.. NT's original DmC was actually more close to DMC 1 than DMC 3 itself.
I don't know, I don't find him to be exactly the same as DMC3 Dante.
Well not exactly but personality wise he's just like him he has the same "Not giving a sh!t because i'm so cool" attitude with a little bit of teen angst thrown in DMC 3's dante was more like "not giving a sh!t because i'm so cool" with generic shonen cliche thrown in.

The original beta trailer gives me the impression that Dante was supposed to be more serious and vulnerable but in the actual game he's nothing like that.
The idea behind DMC Dante is that he is a rebel, much like Sparda. That's one of the reasons why his sword is called Rebellion.
The original dante wasn't a rebel he was just a party boy who was avoiding his demonic heritage and his father's mantle of being the strongest demon.
If he weren't rebellious, he would be drinking Virility and doing other stuff that the population of Limbo does.
Wait.. wasn't that what he was doing until kat&vergil confronted him? and he still said that he didn't give a **** about it if anything vergil was more of a "rebel" as he actually had a goal in mind and wasn't a complete tool like dante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom