• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the real reason for DMC being rebooted?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
And japan must feel like this is a giant FU in the process.
Japan already doesn't think much of western titles as is, & seeing as how DevilMayCry was a japanese game icon must rub japanese gamers the wrong way.
I actually love the anime style for DevilMayCry, many did.
It adds an artistic style to it, there's already a flood of everything looking realistic. If i wanted realism i'd be watching television.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28941739/japans-top-40-most-hated-capcom-characters.

It was back in 2011, things may have changed now.

VergilNeroDante

There hasn't been any official statement saying DMC will be gone, not yet anyway.

I have a feeling that once NT are done with DmC, Capcom will drop them.I don't mean this in a nast way, btw. ^_^

Reason for thinking this is that Capcom felt that their weak aspect was telling a story and doing it in a Western way, with that sort of visuals and style. Now that they have worked with NT and learned how to do it, then Capcom could carry on either DMC or DmC using what they learned from NT.

Well now that you think of it it gives both parties help with what they lacked in Capcom = story telling, Ninja Theory = Combat so from this probably now Capcom can think of a interesting story to go from and on after the events from DMC 2, i hope they bring in some of the fanbase ideas with bringing Vergil back, explaining Dante's, Vergil's, and Nero's past. Making the game on hell of a party!

Again i think that they should use the concept art version of Dante that is displayed as my avatar as the Dante in the new DMC 5 i think it would be a good idea because by looking at him he looks more serious than joking around and thinking things are a game.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think Japan is bothered enough to consider DmC to be a fu-k you. It's only a game, and Japan is about a lot more than video games and pop culture.

I think what was meant was Japanese gamers, not Japan itself, lol :p

As far as the DMC brand is concerned, I guess Capcom felt it was as far as they could go.They wanted NT to take charge of design and creativity. Capcom was not forced to do this, and they helped NT with combat mechanics.

Yeah, that's the problem with Capcom, it seems that, unlike Kojima Productions, they don't have enough people working for them who actually have good ideas. And, coincidentally, KP is Japanese :troll:

With DMC4, the graphics were excellent, the action direction was also excellent, but it fell short with the plot and shoving Nero in with hardly any explaining, plus shoving Dante to the side. DMC has always been about Dante.

True, but DMC can change. I don't feel it has to be about Dante and nobody else. Change doesn't mean changing it into DmC either. Not in my mind, at least.

But I am hoping DMC and DmC can continue. :)

I hope they can coexist too. That way, most people should be happy.

What is realistic about a human and demon hybrid killing demons? :p

The realistic style of it. Why would Dante need to look like a 21st century hooligan? I'm actually getting annoyed by how much the gaming industry seems to be focusing on 'western' gamers (that is, Europe and the USA). There should be a balance.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Keeping in mind that the original concept was that Devil may Cry was about Sparda's legacy, not necessarily Dante himself, and Kamiya planned for DMC2 to feature a new hero anyway, it's ironic that the games which tried to follow that approach...end up the ones fans lambasted. Honestly, having been a fan since 2001 when the original DMC1 came out, I'm getting more interested in what NT can do with the Alt Universe Devil May Cry they're working on as DIRECTED TO THEM BY CAPCOM.

And calling it "EmoMayCry" is being a child. It's DmC: Devil May Cry, and the NT!Dante is NOT emo, he's PUNK, there is a major difference. he's not whiney or cutting himself, he just has a fauxhawk and black hair which is going to be white by the end of the game and we see him grow into some version of the Dante we know and love. Stop being an immature child throwing insults and calling things insulting names just because you don't want to even consider there is a reason for this. I was one of the most horrified people when the 2010 teaser came out; that was the POINT of that trailer we now know, and Capcom expected that reaction.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I didn't know it was going to be more about the legacy of Sparda. Thanks for the info. ^_^

Maybe I could agree with Emo may cry when they first showed in 2010, but now this Dante is punk. The only time he cuts himself is in that pic when he's literally looking inside himself to see if he's still got humanity after all he's been through.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well they could have done better yes, but they chose not to explain anything, but i still enjoyed the game. What if, in the next installment they made it where Nero could pull enemies towards him and pull himself to them (wouldnt matter which enemies it was except bosses) kind of like wht this new Donte is able to do, if they really need to make Nero aerial based in combat with some ground basics and leaving Dante ground based with some aerial, Vergil possibly both.
I think you are gonna have to rethink his fighting style and give him more than just his bringer.

The reason why people dont like his gameplay was became it lacked variety.

After a while he became a one trick pony because the snatch option could solve all your problems.

And japan must feel like this is a giant FU in the process.
Japan already doesn't think much of western titles as is, & seeing as how DevilMayCry was a japanese game icon must rub japanese gamers the wrong way.
I actually love the anime style for DevilMayCry, many did.
It adds an artistic style to it, there's already a flood of everything looking realistic. If i wanted realism i'd be watching television.

The anime style wasnt the problem, it was just more of them not knowing what to do with it that was the problem. DMC4 had problems but they were found in the other games as well.

There hasn't been any official statement saying DMC will be gone, not yet anyway.

I have a feeling that once NT are done with DmC, Capcom will drop them.I don't mean this in a nast way, btw. ^_^

Reason for thinking this is that Capcom felt that their weak aspect was telling a story and doing it in a Western way, with that sort of visuals and style. Now that they have worked with NT and learned how to do it, then Capcom could carry on either DMC or DmC using what they learned from NT.
i rather NT stick with DmC because i feel safer with the reboot storyline in NT hands than capcom because i rather the reboot not repeat the same mistakes the old series did.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Oh, the multitude of problems that plagued DMC4...giant holes on the story you could drive Optimus Prime through, total disregard for any really explination of the plot beyond pretty much making the game's story one big episode of Bleach with Dante as a guest star...A definite shift away from the lovecraftian look and feel of the previous games, done intentionally by admission of Director Kobayashi to draw in more female gamers to the series...most of the main issues were the narrative and setup for story, and the gaping questions that were left by the end of the game.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
done intentionally by admission of Director Kobayashi to draw in more female gamers to the series

As a female, I can safely say that DMC4 did not work for me. The romance part of the plot was just not DMC and I did not enjoy it. Nero needed more motivation other than feeling like and outsider and chasing his love interest.

Give me Dante, some wisecracking and demon killing any day of the week over Nero screaming 'KYRIIIIIEEEE!'. I know he didn't do ot a lot, but it must really have annoyed me at the time for me to remember that as being his main characteristc. :p

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Oh, I agree, the thing is, Kobayashi' perogative was making the game appeal to the japanese market more, sine it wasn't doing that well there compared to the US, hence "cleaning up the demons" and making it a more protypical japanese anime storyline.

VergilNeroDante

Agreed so in the long run if capcom plays the cards right im sure DMC 5 will be better than DMC 3, only one can hope honestly. Backwards well, i definitely see it from after playing DMC 4 because of the major plotholes they left out, im hoping they will at least fill them and make the game great. Im just an amatuar trying to get better at the previous DMCs but im having issues as it is getting the combos down and just being able to play i guess.

VergilNeroDante

Doesn't the DevilMayCry's have a survival mode ? Or those hidden secret rooms where you complete certain objectives to get a prize?
Bayonetta has the same thing, called Alfheim.
i use them to practice coming up with combos.
Go in & don't complete the objectives, just practice combos..........Wow i wanna play DevilMayCry 4 now lol.

I honestly didn't think of those, thanks Wicked! :D Now I have to try that out and get my practice in! Oh by the way I like your Sig lol, very flashy pictures, what decided you to choose those?

VergilNeroDante

lol Yea i gotta upgrade Nero's skills again.
I haven't played since 2009 & i lost the saves from it due to a database rebuilding, so it's almost a day 1 restart for me.
lol I forgot how you really earn everything.
And WOW DevilMayCry4 is so razza-fraggin crisp are sharp.
I love digital illustrations but this is far easier for me to be very very picky with.
Digital illustrations the gif would contain a thousand images & growing.
2. Less chance of the artists getting an attitude & yelling I NEVER GAVE AN OKAY TO DISPLAY MY WORK ELSEWHERE.
3. I post alot & this keeps me from getting bored out of skull losing interest in the DevilMayCry forums & leaving.
4. Women are beautiful.

I always wondered why my DMC 4 Data was gone, I guess I know lol but honestly I think if they were to continue the original then starting with DMC 5 and how everyone is like "make Dante think and stop joking around" Think of it this way, everyone complained about Nero being a loser because he showed he cared for those he loved. His cocky but yet emotional state was a good throw in I think. It surely showed character, regardless what you people think. If you put Dante that part, people wouldn't like it because "it wouldn't be Devil May Cry" because of the emotions. Geez no one can ever be satisified anymore >>

VergilNeroDante

The database rebuilding didn't delete my saves, i did.
I had important messages saved & didn't back them up at the time, so i had to used an older backup file & lost 3 or 4weeks of saved data. OMG Bayonetta, i lost alot of Bayonetta saves.
I know right.
People are like we want a really strong character.
Then when they get it people complain that he's to invincible.
Trying to satisfy everyone you only end up satisfying less then half sometimes.
So sometimes it's better to just follow your own ideas & set it out & hope for the best.

I have to agree, no one can ever be satisified because of the constant 'I want this but after getting it I bitch because it's not what i want' scenerio. It gets annoying and it kinda ****es me off because idiots, just don't shut up. With all the constant complaining, I myself, would love to see these people go out and make a game that they think will be amazing but alternately fail because people don't like how it plays or characters are just too cheesy, then maybe they might reconsider their options at hand and enojy what they have. Accept what you have and just have fun, video games are meant for that purpose, to have fun and get away from real life and let off some steam. I can understand getting upset about current things, such as change to a character or story isn't good enough or it's overall lacking BUT a good game is based, within the design, it doesn't need a strong story because the characters could make that, a good game needs a few things. Time, dedication, and effort. Rushing games like the DMC HD Collection is an example, without taking the time, they just threw it out there, not caring. Cutscenes are not fully HD, DMC 3 could have had Vergil's story explained more while giving him the 20 missions like Dante, while also giving him his missing moves Capcom left out in the PS2 version (since the game couldn't hold the data). They could have filled in somethings that explained some of the story that we wanted to know, and while in the extra part instead of giving us the render pictures and other stupid things, like they could have at the very least explained everything within the 4 games so they we could be up to date, but I gues people just don't take the time to do so.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I agree VergilNeroDante, another thing that's a problem is when there's finally a game that has everything you've expected from & feel it is perfect & you just want more, some developer screws with it & wrecks the entire thing.
And then when it's not liked, the developer gets the idea that the fans are tired of the whole series & just don't like it anymore.
When in fact it was the developer's fault the last entry in the series wasn't up to the previous titles standards.

I think there such be a set rule in gaming.
When a game series becomes popular the only options should be either Revamp, continue & evolve the characters or just let it die & end the series altogether.
Rebooting a very popular series sometimes causes fans to get upset.

That's exactly how I feel. When someone's made like four installments of a game, it shouldn't be possible for them to reboot the series anymore. The customers get used to the product you're trying to sell, and are loyal to it. You can't just reimagine something as unique as the old DMC. Coca-Cola is still here; it hasn't been reimagined because it's doing well. Coca-Cola is a succes, and there's no need to throw it away.

VergilNeroDante

I fully agree, that one saying i hear alot 'if it's not broken don't fix it'. To why they seem that the reboot is the only way out instead of learning from the mistakes is beyond me. Take what the fans really liked about all the games and then boom, throw those in and add something to the mix and I'm sure you will grab people back in. Honestly I enjoyed RE 6 while other bash on it because it's 'different'. I enjoyed the new things they added and honestly it did change anything about it. We still have Leon, Chris, Ada and a few more that were new characters. Overall I love the game and still own it. DmC was Capcom's way of just not caring about the original anymore because apparently they couldn't go anywhere else with the original, which again is BS. Everyone complained and their only excuse was ALWAYS leading back to DMC 2 and how bad it was. You need to think of it like this: DMC was still in the early stages of a gaming series, DMC 1 was amazing and had a good story behind it. DMC 2 came in and provided more accessable moves, Tricker was one of them. Three characters to play as, Dante, Lucia and Trish. Different costumes. Environment and weapons as well. The game was still amazing to me but apparently not meeting everyone 'expectations' really guys? I can see where if it was the 4th game and it sucked that bad but at least they tried. Because of its mistakes, DMC 3 was produced and changed everything and was amazingly f**king awesome. Each game had the dark atmosphere and great music and gameplay. DMC 4 may have not had the atmosphere everyone is b**ching about but it was amazing in it's own way and introduced a character which actaully had emotions. I don't see why everyone is complaining about it honestly, sure the story wasn't that great but even with that I fully understand most of it anyways, not that hard. I say the reboot isn't needed though but it's done and over with, I'm hoping they decide to continue the original and not by fans because then, you might as well throw the original out. They could possibly bring in some ideas from the fans and then mostly throw in what you are going to put in and go from there.

Simply put it this:
Bring everyone back (Dante, Lucia, Trish, Lady, Vergil, Nero, Mundus and possibly newer demons)
Fill in plotholes damnit and explain things rather than beating around that bush.
Return old, favoritable weapons (Agni and Rudra, Beowolf, Sparda and so on)
Needs the dark atmosphere again and better environments along with enemies.
Difficulty, needs a new one thats not based on Hell and Hell but the DMC 3 hardest one before watering that down. (That will take the skills of the true players to test if they can do it)
Story needs to be long and needs less backtracking in the game, thats what people didn't like.
For the each player able to be played as make the basic story for the main character fr the game and then throw in the others as DLC. (Dante's being the main while Vergil and Nero's as DLC, along with them having their OWN stories while intercepting the other characters like in RE 6)
Mundus being the main villian again and this time actually putting his ass in the ground for good.
Character's showing emotion and not making them seems invincable, have a weakness.
Make Hell a playable area as well.

Oh and with Sparda being the greatest have it where you can actually fight against him but making him hard as **** you know? Don't make it easy.

I'm sure there are other ideas about but these are the one's I had while typing this.

VergilNeroDante

I agree your right Capcom needs to go back & look at the ideas that worked for DevilMayCry & build off that instead of just throwing their arms in the air & saying SMURF IT, LETS REDO IT ALL!

Agreed, a good game series deserves the time needed to make it amazing rather than throwing their arms in the air swinging around, trying to grab everyone's attention yelling it's better than the rest, then half-assing it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yea I don't understand why they decided to do it, pure lazy I am guessing, I just wish Capcom wasn't so damn stupid.
Well, they're not infallible. They have made poor decisions in the past, or can't seem to make up their minds what to do, and I reckon they made some poor ones lately with RE6, etc. (most people seeming to agree RE6 was 'fun', or 'okay', but a step back in terms of progress of the series, or what they 'could have done' with it)

And given Westerners' apparent total acceptance of reboots in Hollywood and elsewhere, and that they are aiming it at them, you can kinda see why. People will buy anything here as long as the marketing is good enough?

aoshi

I like the idea of demons as a part of modern society with corrupt authorities that bend the rules jus cuz they have the authority. But i don't like the execution of it. I wish capcom approached ubisoft as i find their games to be really good and their concept arts as good as capcom.

Lately, capcom seems to be scapegoat for criticism(quite silly) on products that they release. Like Resident evil, all that crap which complains they moved towards action from survival horror without realizing the upgrade in current gen hardwares and the potential they offer for games. Splinter cell series is known for stealth. Their latest release splinter cell conviction portrayed sam as a action hero(of hollywood style) and had so much action that no one(who played their earlier games) would accept it as a stealth-based game. There was not huge hue and cry over it but if capcom tries a new direction ...........OMG......"Poor decision" or "sell outs".The next game , spinter cell black list, also seems to have action jus as conviction. I jus find some capcom fans to be biased, over-reacting and not thinking of it subjectively in terms of gaming hardware or the franchise itself.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
If it's all you're given, then it's hard to avoid I agree - I don't know how many people I've met who say they hate 3D, that it gives them a headache (myself included), or that the fad has just gone too far (almost all the people I know online and off), yet the film companies plug as if they're trying to make the adage come true "say something enough times and people will believe it" (i.e. that 3D is so awesome we should all be paying £8-£15 a ticket)

At the same time though, people could just say no and not go watch things in 3D and hopefully the fad will lose momentum. I wait for the DVDs/or rent, because the cinema experience just isn't all that, especially if I'm being forced to watch something in 3D. Not everyone accepts it but I do know people will just go watch whatever for something to do, especially in cities (I don't live near one so it's actually going out of my way a lot to get to a decent cinema and I haven't bothered in 2 years) so the numbers stay steady and the reboots and sequels keep coming. I guess people really do see it it as throwaway entertainment... as long as it's treated that way, most of it will be disposable.

As for the reboots, I'm pretty sure we're gonna be in for reboots every 5-10 years from here on in, in everything. Unless people really do get bored and just stop going to see this stuff. The only way Hollywood will quit doing it is if people quit buying or seeing it.

Lulz @ TF&TF reboot. Is there anything new under the sun?

Top Bottom