• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What other publisher can take over the DmC series?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Holy sh!t now. Ghostbusters was not a B-movie. It's a big budget sci-fi/paranormal comedy, of course it's "attempting to be silly on purpose". I'm also gonna call bullsh!t on Ghostbusters being a parody of Lovecraft, Aykroyd and Ramis never wrote those movies with Lovecraft in mind. Hell, the original script for Ghostbusters had them in space going through a goddamn hell dimension, but they had to cut it back a whole bunch because it would have cost something like $300 million to make, and for a movie in the 80s, that was never gonna happen. Inspired by Lovecraft in some way? Perhaps, but not a parody at all.

Do you even know what "B-movie" means? It's a movie that has a dreadfully low budget and low production values, which then owe to mediocre actors and the common cheesy acting. Movies of this kind were shown after big budget, A-list movies, the ones people really wanted to see. B-list movies were something only dedicated moviegoers would bother with, and drew less of a crowd because of their low budgets.

Ghostbusters cost $30 million dollars to make and had a cast and crew full of extremely high profile talent. It is in no way a B-movie. It's not even campy! It was written as a comedy!

Do you even know what a parody is? It's taking a well-known style of something, and then exaggerating it to an incredible degree for humors sake, the same as satire. Movies like Naked Gun that parody spy and action movies, but not Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters isn't parodying anything, certainly not Lovecraft, it's just a comedy written by two guys who know comedy with a hook of "dudes who catch ghosts but are easily spooked".

Are we gonna get on the definitions of words again that you'll just ignore...?
Like i said, i forgot how old Ghosbusters were. So I agree it's not B rated movie. I watched it much much later than it actually was released. As for Lovecraftian ...I dunno ...Many, many concepts in Ghostbusters falling under category of lovecraftian horror. Especially Gozer in Part 1. And yes, it actually exaggerates "out-dimensional old-ones" to the point of Marshmallow Man. So yes, it serves also as parody on classical lovecraftian stories. Mad cult, old gods, interdeminsional entities. It has many influences and it ends up making fun on their base.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think Atlus would be interesting if they decided to do a Nero focused game because giving him more RPG elements closer to a KH game than necessarily turn based rpgs like Persona could help flesh him out.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Like i said, i forgot how old Ghosbusters were.

1984, to be precise.

Fun fact: the Ghostbusters logo is the second most widely recognized logo on Earth, right behind Coca-Cola.

As for Lovecraftian ...I dunno ...Many, many concepts in Ghostbusters falling under category of lovecraftian horror. Especially Gozer in Part 1. And yes, it actually exaggerates "out-dimensional old-ones" to the point of Marshmallow Man. So yes, it serves also as parody on classical lovecraftian stories. Mad cult, old gods, interdeminsional entities. It has many influences and it ends up making fun on their base.

Inspiration does not mean it's a parody. Devil May Cry itself was inspired by the Divine Comedy, but it is not a parody of it. Parodies also make fun of what they are parodying, Ghostbusters is simply a comedy that has a few horror-like themes to it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
1984, to be precise.

Fun fact: the Ghostbusters logo is the second most widely recognized logo on Earth, right behind Coca-Cola.
No wonder. Back than it was really blast. To bad GB3 never to be released. Though today i imagine Apple Logo overtaken this position.

Inspiration does not mean it's a parody. Devil May Cry itself was inspired by the Divine Comedy, but it is not a parody of it. Parodies also make fun of what they are parodying, Ghostbusters is simply a comedy that has a few horror-like themes to it.
It's true, but like i said, I have feeling Gozer meant to be parody to Great Old Ones. Yeah DMC inspired by Divine Comedy, but it didn't turns Mundus into giant Marshmallow. ;)
I think Atlus would be interesting if they decided to do a Nero focused game because giving him more RPG elements closer to a KH game than necessarily turn based rpgs like Persona could help flesh him out.
IT's actually sounds pretty awesome :)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's true, but like i said, I have feeling Gozer meant to be parody to Great Old Ones. Yeah DMC inspired by Divine Comedy, but it didn't turns Mundus into giant Marshmallow. ;)

Gozer is just a made-up prehistoric god (the concept of which existed before Lovecraft), and he wasn't turned into a marshmallow man, "The Destructor" takes on a form based on what a person wants them to be, which is different from the Old Ones, which had distinct forms.

Ghostbusters makes fun of religion and interpretation of the afterlife and the supernatural, by making easily-spooked yet cynical scientists the heroes of the story.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Gozer is just a made-up prehistoric god (the concept of which existed before Lovecraft), and he wasn't turned into a marshmallow man, "The Destructor" takes on a form based on what a person wants them to be, which is different from the Old Ones, which had distinct forms.

Ghostbusters makes fun of religion and interpretation of the afterlife and the supernatural, by making easily-spooked yet cynical scientists the heroes of the story.
Well maybe we understand different things under parody, because to me "makes fun" is exactly kind of parody. Yes, Old Ones has distinct forms, but cult that surrounded Gozer and human possession/transformed human, reminded me very closely of Lovecraftian interpretations. And by turning into marshmallow, i remember how it works, but rather i referred to how they made fun of his final appearance

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
What you're reminded of doesn't necessitate that they were directly parodying something. Making fun of something isn't a parody either, that's simply a joke.

And Stay-Puft being the final form isn't making fun of it at all - the point is that he literally takes on whatever form someone thinks. It's not making fun of anything, it's making a humorous juxtaposition for comedy's sake.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
What you're reminded of doesn't necessitate that they were directly parodying something. Making fun of something isn't a parody either, that's simply a joke.

And Stay-Puft being the final form isn't making fun of it at all - the point is that he literally takes on whatever form someone thinks. It's not making fun of anything, it's making a humorous juxtaposition for comedy's sake.
It practically parodies appearance of different destructive deities in different fiction. Especially since they usually portrayed menacing almost in every case and appearance, instead this time it takes humorous appearance (despite remaining ancient God of Destruction).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
instead this time it takes humorous appearance (despite remaining ancient God of Destruction).

Because it has no definitive form. The appearance is humorous because of the juxtaposition of a jolly sailor being a god of destruction, not in parodying something else. It's a joke about how the god of destruction ends up being something so seemingly innocuous, they aren't referencing anything else but their own in-universe lore.

Plus, I reiterate the fact that primordial/prehistoric gods are not at all something Lovecraft cooked up all on his own with no hands, mommy! Hell, what do you think Norse and Greek mythology were? Did Lovecraft popularized prehistoric gods to some extent? Maybe, but he didn't make them up, considering the number of religions that existed long before Christianity in the first place; Aykroyd and Ramis just made up their own mythology to draw from - again something Lovecraft didn't do first.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I'm not a stranger to the popular opinion on DmC, if that's what you mean. That's old news...and tired news, to be frank. But swearing off an entire development team based on the harbored disdain for one project? That's a new one.

I can only hope you don't employ that logic for companies like SEGA. That must mean you haven't played a Sonic game in years.
so thats an obvious "yes". lemme level with you, we here enjoy trolling. i love DmC more so than the previous games. that being said, just calm down with it. we just recovered from the great flame war of 2013. lets not reopen that wound.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Because it has no definitive form. The appearance is humorous because of the juxtaposition of a jolly sailor being a god of destruction, not in parodying something else. It's a joke about how the god of destruction ends up being something so seemingly innocuous, they aren't referencing anything else but their own in-universe lore.

Plus, I reiterate the fact that primordial/prehistoric gods are not at all something Lovecraft cooked up all on his own with no hands, mommy! Hell, what do you think Norse and Greek mythology were? Did Lovecraft popularized prehistoric gods to some extent? Maybe, but he didn't make them up, considering the number of religions that existed long before Christianity in the first place; Aykroyd and Ramis just made up their own mythology to draw from -again something Lovecraft didn't do first.
I already told that i remember why he took this form, but let's be honest it was made for comedy effect. Or will you deny it too? So basically it was parodying decent of evil gods in comedic manner. Nobody says Lovecraft was the only one. But Lovecraft's gods were one of the most destructive ones (well except from maybe Mayan) So for me whole "destructor", coupled with insane cult was pretty cleat association.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I already told that i remember why he took this form, but let's be honest it was made for comedy effect. Or will you deny it too?

That is literally what I have been saying this entire time.

So basically it was parodying decent of evil gods in comedic manner.

It wasn't parodying anything, it was just a goddamn joke in and of itself as destructive force taking the form of an innocuous puffy sailor made of marshmallow.

It's like "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if the Angel of Death was a clown?" It's not parodying anything, it's attributing humor to a normally scary element for the sake of humor. The humor comes from a juxtaposition, not from referencing to anything outside of what exists within that story.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
That is literally what I have been saying this entire time.
And i wasn't even debating it. You just so desperate in proving me wrong, that you gripes at words and don't notice that I'm not necessary disagreeing with you

llow.
It's like "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if the Angel of Death was a clown?" It's not parodying anything, it's attributing humor to a normally scary element for the sake of humor. The humor comes from a juxtaposition, not from referencing to anything outside of what exists within that story.
The whole plot parodies certain type of cliche in story that is common for supernatural horror type of stories. As for Gozer, it basically goes like "what if IT could take only one form and it took form of kid's favorite figure."

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
I guess one scenario would be Sony picking it up, adding another game in their belt and bringing the DMC series back as a exclusive title.
In terms of devs; Ninja Theory already has a relationship with Sony, so that's first on the list.
But if not, then Platinum is the go-to, maybe Team Ninja or Sony Santa Monica.
Welp, I no longer need to speak now, thnx :D

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Please not Team Ninja....Not after yaiba and NG3. They need to find decent creative director first

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I just noticed the title says 'the DmC series'. There is no DmC series, as there is only one DmC.
But yeah, even if they plan to continue with DmC, I don't think I'd want Ninja Theory to go on with it. Let someone else give it a shot. Or... let Ninja Theory somehow go back to their first idea of what DmC should look like, since Capcom told them it was 'too much like the old Devil May Cry'. And if they're going with DMC, Platinum Games or some other well-known, preferably Japanese developer.

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
That would be an awesome idea. Its a little bit hard but AWESOME.

What about High Moon Studios? You know the guys who developed deadpool's video game.
They are definitely good at the genre, but let's keep DMC as far away from Activision as possible

NathanielEssex

I know this probably isn't the proper thread for this but I just had a couple quick questions.

Was there any news/rumors of a DmC: Devil May Cry sequel?

And was there ever any talk of a Devil May Cry 5?

Sorry if these have already been addressed. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I know this probably isn't the proper thread for this but I just had a couple quick questions.

Was there any news/rumors of a DmC: Devil May Cry sequel?

And was there ever any talk of a Devil May Cry 5?

Sorry if these have already been addressed. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time.
There were a few, but they were all pretty much guesses and they all ended with DmC vs DMC debates in which everybody made completely opinion based arguments, while I tried to spam as many nonsensical GIFs and pony pictures as I could find before the thread locked

Top Bottom