• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What kind of sword would Sparda be classified as?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I know Force Edge and Alastor are both broadswords (Alastor may be a claymore, I'm not sure) and Ifrit isn't a sword, so... What kind of sword is Sparda? Another broadsword?

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
I'd say that Alastor is in the Claymore family.

Sparda on the other hand...That's a tough one, at a best guess I would suggest that, give the size, shape and orientation of the sword, it'd probably best fit into the Greatsword category.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Storm Silves;294666 said:
Greatswords are more often than not single edged, correct?

There are examples of dual edged Greatswords, but the Sparda is a single edged blade anyway.

DarkKnight1000;294668 said:
i always thought it looked like a demonic katana

Orientation of the grip/hilt doesn't lend itself to the classic, curved design of a katana.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It isn't curved correctly to be a katana. It's straight for most of the blade, then it sharply curves at the top. Katanas curve through the entire blade, and even the hilt/handle.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Sparda can be classified as a backsword ( a term for any single edged sword) and it can be classified as a greatsword ( a term for any unusualy large sword)but there is no exact term for what it is . in its sealed form( Force Edge) it is a Claymore.
Alastor and Rebellion are Zweihänders

CHAOSBRINGER546

its better to burn out than to fade away
Premium
i what form are you talking about as dante changes it in dmc1 into a long axe like thing and a long curved sword

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think it defies proper classification as a sword. And maybe that's what they intended - it's demonic and shifts forms.

The original form is a probably most similar to a zweihander or claymore in style, but obviously much too heavy to be practical for a normal person to ever use, or even lift, probably.

The second form has more in common with a bardiche:

322px-Bardiche.jpg

...than a scimitar, if you consider the position of the grip in relation to the blade. The Sparda sword is kind of an enormous 'sawn-off' bardiche, with a sword hilt.

The third form... well the closest I can think of to that would be a bardiche, atgeir, or glaive, though there are no such pole arms in real life or history that had moveable or retractable half moon blades, as far as I know.

ZeroLove

I would say it is a demon blade, because it is not entirely like any human weapon class and it can change shape from sword to scythe.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
hmmm looking at this i kind of wish i knew my different types of swords XD

and shining a new light: i would say a demonic axe

Top Bottom