• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Neil Gaiman's? It was A Study in Emerald, which is a fusion of Holmes and of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos and set in a timeline where Moriarty's the detective and Holmes is the mastermind and the world is ruled by the Great Old Ones--fish dudes, basically, and old gods. (I think it got turned into a game and a graphic novel at some point? But I know it got a Hugo award back in 2004.)
I read it before, it's pretty good.

to answer your question, I'd say it's a legal issue- Who hold's the copyright/license etc?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I read it before, it's pretty good.

to answer your question, I'd say it's a legal issue- Who hold's the copyright/license etc?

Oh! I might give it a read? I've been vacillating over it cuz I'm not a huge fan of Moran. But I do like Lovecraftian stuff and Moriarty, so....

That's a fair point. And fanwork is a very legally grey area, so...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Oh! I might give it a read? I've been vacillating over it cuz I'm not a huge fan of Moran. But I do like Lovecraftian stuff and Moriarty, so....

That's a fair point. And fanwork is a very legally grey area, so...
Usually people use who gets paid for it as a measuring stick. Mostly because that fact its paid for means its more selective than what fanfic usually tends to be- which is write what you want regardless of who else wants it.

A study in emerald should be pretty cheap on Comixology so i'd say go for it.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Usually people use who gets paid for it as a measuring stick. Mostly because that fact its paid for means its more selective than what fanfic usually tends to be- which is write what you want regardless of who else wants it.

A study in emerald should be pretty cheap on Comixology so i'd say go for it.

True. I just find it kinda odd, I guess, that money is supposed to indicate the skill level of an artist instead of skill. -shrugs- But also some people take fanfic commissions. Which is illegal but ??? I think I'm just confused by the point of money in determining anything of non-material value. If you'll excuse the accidental pun.

I think I will! ^^ Will be interesting, at the very least.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
True. I just find it kinda odd, I guess, that money is supposed to indicate the skill level of an artist instead of skill. -shrugs- But also some people take fanfic commissions. Which is illegal but ??? I think I'm just confused by the point of money in determining anything of non-material value. If you'll excuse the accidental pun.

I think I will! ^^ Will be interesting, at the very least.
Fanfic commissions? I heard of fan-art commisions at comic conventions but not fanfiction. Is it through Patreon?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Fanfic commissions? I heard of fan-art commisions at comic conventions but not fanfiction. Is it through Patreon?

I've mainly seen people advertising it on their blogs. Prices varying depending on the size of fic. They're pretty rare compared to art commissions but that's mainly just cuz a lot of writers who offer them get yelled at by other fans until they stop offering them. Requests and prompts with the hope people will give tips via Kofi/Paypal seem more common.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It's been a rough week, but now I have something to really look forward to over the Thanksgiving holidays (October for Canadian folk, so only a couple weeks away!) Augh, I'm so excited and so happy and nervous and have I mentioned excited?

I want to scream it to the heavens but I shall contain myself for now. :giggle:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
"I love historical fiction and wish there was more!" I say, immediately eviscerating any media that gets details of clothing wrong or who makes their MC hate corsets and dresses just for fake feminism points without having done any research into actual historical clothing.

"Are you sure?" literally everyone who knows me asks.

I don't know sometimes...maybe I need to learn to just...not pay attention to that stuff but it's so annoying.

+ I'm kinda sick of coffee.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It would be interesting is Sam from Twin Mirror is diagnosed with Dissociative Identity disorder. He has an alter ego called the Double that pops up in the gameplay so it would've been interesting to have the double be an alter you have to manage/coordinate with etc.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
"I love historical fiction and wish there was more!" I say, immediately eviscerating any media that gets details of clothing wrong or who makes their MC hate corsets and dresses just for fake feminism points without having done any research into actual historical clothing.

"Are you sure?" literally everyone who knows me asks.

I don't know sometimes...maybe I need to learn to just...not pay attention to that stuff but it's so annoying.

+ I'm kinda sick of coffee.
The problem with any historical thing (historical fiction, historical stories, and whatnot), is that they're replaced by something else. Or people run out of ideas. We've heard god stories, ancient greek mythology, some morse, some ragnarok, and other historical stories like the race wars, race segregation, civil wars, revolutionary war, World Wars, riots, and so on and on. Nothing new unless someone touches upon the god and hell theories, portals. I'm currently learning more about the afterlife due to the rise of Ghost Adventures and similar ghost TV shows.

There's also government cover-ups, the universe, aliens, and UFO. Until someone can accurately describe these stories, we're just going in circles.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
How many donuts is too many donuts? :unsure:
You can never have too many donuts.

tenor.gif

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I created some new villians for "fresh start". They are the Al Bhed version of the Salamanca family. So does that make Jak Nacho or Mike in this scenario?

Daxter is gonna try to barter Lulu for some pants. Jak is gonna try to convince Cid that it's the women's duty to pay doury back on his planet (he's just messing with him).

I wanna do a scene where Jak tosses Wakka at a fiend but that feels too meanspirited. I wanted Jak to have a bar crawl with Buddy, Brother and Gippal but feels like I'm ripping off RDR2.

Jak and Rikku have a bet on who would win in a fight- Daxter or her pet monkey from the Trainer Dressphere.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
My health insurance for my upcoming exchange was rejected mostly because I tried to commit suicide 11 years ago. There were other grounds too... and they weren't even true. So I decided to fight it on the grounds of disproportionate and inappropriate decision and discrimination on grounds of health (and yes, it is possible to fight against health discrimination even with an insurance company, when their claims have nothing to do with the insurance or possible reimbursements anyway and the treatment of customers is not equal nor appropriate).

I mailed the insurance company a written statement where I turned down their arguments one by one, and ended it with questioning if they're obeying the law at all.
After that, I called the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman of my country and they opened a case about it, telling me to send the company's response to them immediately so they can proceed with the investigation.
After that, I called the Consumer Authorities and ensured my rights if I want to file a claim for damage compensations in this.

Right after my last call to the consumer protection, I got an e-mail stating something like "sorry for the trouble, here's your insurance".

giphy.gif

So. Answering to the question, what am I thinking: Anyone in need of legal counseling services here? :LOL:

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'm with you on this one. I absolutely HATE anything set in a time period that is poorly researched and then tries to strongarm in 21st century values. Just stop it. I adore historical fiction but I cannot focus if the details are wrong for the era. Even down to characters saying stuff like "yeah" or "nope" in the Middle Ages.

How many donuts is too many donuts? :unsure:
Does not compute.

Top Bottom