• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
It's best to try a bunch of sites and see what works for you.
Shoutout to this. It also depends on what are you writing (style, genre?), for whom (age, gender, location, life stage, popculture preference?), and in what language. So it cannot be emphasized too much that it's a personal choice after all.

I write my non-important stories to Blogger. Anon and... societal texts on Wordpress. The stuff that I consider as art go to different kind of short story publishers (first one having it's final editor round before getting in a paper and anthology, second one taking part in another competition, third one looking for a suitable journal once it's ready etc). I don't publish them twice on different platforms. So, just see what suits both you and your work.

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
So why exactly are shows like Power Rangers, Ultraman, and etc have such niche fandoms? (They are better now but they aren't Marvel/DC levels of big) Let's break this down:

Spider-Man swings around in a bright @ss costume and makes jokes.

Most modern PRs hop around in bright @ss costumes and make jokes.

So why is one more popular than the other? Seriously they karate chop monsters and use giant robots to blow monsters up. How is that not cool?!
Anyone care to discuss?

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
So why exactly are shows like Power Rangers, Ultraman, and etc have such niche fandoms? (They are better now but they aren't Marvel/DC levels of big) Let's break this down:

So why is one more popular than the other? Seriously they karate chop monsters and use giant robots to blow monsters up. How is that not cool?!
Anyone care to discuss?
The same reason Professional Wrestling has a niche following; you have to enjoy the showmanship and suspend disbelief to start getting into it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

Anyone care to discuss?
I don't think Ultraman had consistent localization. There is a new animated series on Netflix and Marvel is publishing a comic so we'll see how that goes.

Power Rangers just got pigeonholed as a kid show. Most of its fanbase probably moved on to other stories. Unlike Marvel or DC, it didn't have new content that could appeal to older sensibilities.

Some stories you just leave behind.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin

Anyone care to discuss?
For me, Power Rangers was just awful. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, sets looked as if they'd been crafted by idiot children. I think I saw about a half of a season as a kid and then gave up. It wasn't engaging, I didn't care about the characters and the villains weren't even entertaining - just cringe worthy and laughable.

No idea what the universe is like now, and I don't really care to know. But there's nothing wrong with it having a more niche fanbase - it just means it doesn't get cluttered with idiots so much. Marvel gets people so worked up (guilty!) and then you've got those who become a little too rigid about the lore or respond to every critique with "but in the comics...", as though every person on the planet reads them. Takes the joy out of it, imo.

All that being said, I did watch the 2017 Power Rangers film and quite enjoyed it. Mostly because it kind of made fun of itself in places and I appreciate that sort of awareness.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The Loki TV show got me to think about offshoot characters. For example, V from DMC, Roxas from KH etc.

They tend to be hit or miss for me and I'm curious why.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

If Capcom doesn't release anything Devil May Cry-related for 10 years, I hope this site doesn't die off from waning interest.

I know another site that was based on an anime series that ran for two years, so it was only natural for that site to lose traffic and interest, gradually losing the frequency necessary to keep the site and forums alive.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I might have just now realized that the "I am the storm that is approaching" line from Bury the Light is supposed to be a nod to Arkham's line in DMC3.

Don't @ me.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Everybody pause what you're doing right now and check out This Word Does Not Exist

An AI generates a fake word and gives it a (somewhat) matching definition every time you hit the refresh button. Sometimes the words come out as obvious misspellings of actual words that exist and other times it'll look legit, but this makes for a fun ten+ minutes of browsing.

Goldsickle

"Ayam" is the Malay word for chicken.
It sounds similar to the word "I am".

So when I am out of ideas for a PSN username for my nephew, I called him "AyamTheStorm".

I hope he's okay with it.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Everybody pause what you're doing right now and check out This Word Does Not Exist

An AI generates a fake word and gives it a (somewhat) matching definition every time you hit the refresh button. Sometimes the words come out as obvious misspellings of actual words that exist and other times it'll look legit, but this makes for a fun ten+ minutes of browsing.

Really, REALLY confusing for a non-native English speaker...

I'll stick to this https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ . AI generated faces that don't exist IRL.
(I still keep thinking how creepy it would be to find your own face in there)

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Really, REALLY confusing for a non-native English speaker...

I'll stick to this https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ . AI generated faces that don't exist IRL.
(I still keep thinking how creepy it would be to find your own face in there)
To be fair to all non-native speakers, all words are made up and only need to be used frequently to gain traction and entry into a dictionary.

Other than that. Do we REALLY know these people don't exist for sure? For really sure? The planet is pretty big.

There's more, including This Cat Does Not Exist, This City Does Not Exist, This Anime Does Not Exist, This Rental Does Not Exist.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
To be fair to all non-native speakers, all words are made up and only need to be used frequently to gain traction and entry into a dictionary.

Other than that. Do we REALLY know these people don't exist for sure? For really sure? The planet is pretty big.

There's more, including This Cat Does Not Exist, This City Does Not Exist, This Anime Does Not Exist, This Rental Does Not Exist.

To continue this topic... it's a shame this hasn't been translated in English, but in Finnish, we have Puppulausegeneraattori. It just generates you random, professional and highly academic sounding phrases to be used anywhere, for you to sound educated and outsmarting your audience. :ROFL:
It's a joke among students, I've heard multiple people tell that "if I get paid 50 euros I'll hand out this essay completely written with Puppulausegeneraattori". You can even enter your own topic in there to get phrases around it.

You most likely won't understand any of it yet, so I'll explain this through example: Let's assume I'm writing a thesis about constitutional hierarchy, and I'm using it for the generator.

The first phrase to be generated is, roughly translated, the following:
Even though there might have been some delinquency on our behalf, we can confidently state that the concept of constitutional hierarchy simplifies poor circumstances of economy and politics.

Another:
If we were to complete a quick comparison into the relevant phenomena, we would notice that constitutional hierarchy will lead us and our supporting groups towards a long-demanded laconism.

And another:
In order to be able to remember the aspirations of our community, it can be stated that constitutional hierarchy is to open the gate of knowledge and understanding towards those yet unnoticed adversive factors for every one of us.

I'm still not brave enough to use them in a thesis... :ROFL:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
To continue this topic... it's a shame this hasn't been translated in English, but in Finnish, we have Puppulausegeneraattori. It just generates you random, professional and highly academic sounding phrases to be used anywhere, for you to sound educated and outsmarting your audience. :ROFL:
...... You pretty much described Talk to Transformer.

Put in text and it completes the idea for you with AI.

I took the "constitutional hierarchy" bit and put it in. The difference is that TTT doesn't put the term in the middle of the result but treats it as part of a preceding statement if the capitalization allows for it.

...that the state of New York took on in its hand to the Union."

"While this tension existed with Great Britain, it is particularly difficult to ignore the common experiences between Great Britain and the newly freed colonies."

"In a way, you can think of it as a compromise in the sense that the colonies can have government within its own borders but not with foreign territory. The states, being de-annexed, can hold their own with the British Empire."

Second attempt:
If money can make it down that hall to statehouses and town halls and eventually the halls of Congress and the White House, then the people with money will dictate to the people with more money how their resources should be used."

Garrett Lee Richards, a professor at Arizona State University, says there is no question that both money and money's influence drive the political process.

"I don't deny that there are enormous differences between moneyed groups and the rest of us, and that they...

Third attempt:
The Philippines is no stranger to murderous dictators and extrajudicial killings. Ferdinand Marcos ruled the nation for 15 years. He was toppled in 1986. Then, the late dictator was held guilty of plundering the nation's treasury and ordered to pay the treasury $500 billion in reparations. He fled to Hawaii and died there in 1989 at the age of 81.

Marcos' son Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., along with several supporters, staged a peaceful protest against his dad's former partner in power...

Fourth attempt:
I ended up bringing in some literature for a strike the next day. By then there was a growing sense of emergency among some students and a student who was seriously considering a class walkout.

The dean who oversees English had sent an email saying something to the effect of "if you're gonna have a class-walkout, do it in honors English, where no one else will have to suffer," or words to that effect.

Of course, even honors English couldn't be exempted from the "pre-made" strike; they would...

That last one sounds about right for a dean to pull, honestly.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Always find it a little frustrating to hear the words "he's known to us" by police, because that's code for "we're not going to do anything about this".

I get it - it's too expensive, they'll walk away with a slap on the wrist or get a couple of months in prison, then go back out and re-offend...but surely something should be done?

It's got to the stage where we know the dealers around my workplace by name, we know their kids names, where they live etc...police do nothing about it but occasionally turn up to ask them to move on.

It's...weird

Goldsickle

Getting my first vaccine shot in two days~ :3

EDIT: Vaccination date moved up to the 13th... better late than never.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Just recently I learned my struggles to focus, to remember what was said, to remember dates, and to sit still and listen may also be just C-PTSD and not an adulthood ADD.

... Which makes me, during my weaker moments, even more frustrated by being mocked and laughed at my poor memory, claiming that I forget things on purpose, etc, etc.
Well, her understanding and empathy only reached those levels where they were convenient for herself anyway. Not a big thing. And I still hope she finds a way to grow, to heal, and create good stuff around her, so enough thoughts about it. Just hoping all is well at both ends, that's the way to heal.

Anyway, what makes me relieved by the chance of it is that I'm already healing from trauma, thus gaining proper memory and social abilities can come along the way without having to treat anything else.
Also, our daughter would not be at risk of inheriting it, since traumas aren't inherited while ADD might be.

So, if this is the case for me, it's a good thing. I'll keep my thoughts on that. :)

Edited because of mobile and damn autocorrect

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
That the body of a Finn was not created to endure the sun.

And a pregnant woman's body is not meant for 5 hours of garden work.

And that I should sleep on my stomach because of my burnt back, but I cannot sleep like that anyway, and now even less on my 7th month.

That everything aches and I have no clue how to get up from the sofa.

I'm not gonna like the night ahead...

Top Bottom