• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I want to ask a question, but I don't really know the correct way of asking without causing offence...so I'm putting it in spoiler tags so as to not unduly upset anyone and hope that someone with firsthand knowledge can reply:

Why is it that some mixed race people (as in white mixed) define themselves as solely black? Is it not ok to identify with any of their white heritage? Is it mostly to do with the fact that they are visibly not white so they choose to identify with black instead? Or is there a shame to acknowledging whiteness? I get very confused when someone states they are black but then almost ashamedly mentions that they have a white parent - like it's a bad thing? Or else never mention the white parent unless they absolutely have to?

I have a white friend with a black husband and three kids - the two older children (the youngest is only 5) identify ONLY as black and constantly put down white people in subtle ways like mocking food or clothing, hair products, taste in music, words they use ("that's such a white thing to say") etc...my friend doesn't really know why they say the things they do, so she just kinda rolls her eyes and tells them to stop. I'm not offended by it, but it is puzzling to me that they would disrespect their heritage in that way, knowing they have an entire family tree of white people, including their own mother.

Is it so bad to have white in someone's heritage? Surely we're not all that bad?
Genuine question, no flaming please.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I want to ask a question, but I don't really know the correct way of asking without causing offence...so I'm putting it in spoiler tags so as to not unduly upset anyone and hope that someone with firsthand knowledge can reply:

Why is it that some mixed race people (as in white mixed) define themselves as solely black? Is it not ok to identify with any of their white heritage? Is it mostly to do with the fact that they are visibly not white so they choose to identify with black instead? Or is there a shame to acknowledging whiteness? I get very confused when someone states they are black but then almost ashamedly mentions that they have a white parent - like it's a bad thing? Or else never mention the white parent unless they absolutely have to?

I have a white friend with a black husband and three kids - the two older children (the youngest is only 5) identify ONLY as black and constantly put down white people in subtle ways like mocking food or clothing, hair products, taste in music, words they use ("that's such a white thing to say") etc...my friend doesn't really know why they say the things they do, so she just kinda rolls her eyes and tells them to stop. I'm not offended by it, but it is puzzling to me that they would disrespect their heritage in that way, knowing they have an entire family tree of white people, including their own mother.

Is it so bad to have white in someone's heritage? Surely we're not all that bad?
Genuine question, no flaming please.

I actually have a similar question, but kinda in the inverse. My grandfather and his side of the family is Black, two of my great-grandmothers are Native American (one's Blackfoot, the other's Apache), my other grandfather's Jewish. The man who raised me, and his family, raised me as culturally Mexican-American. Like...I don't want to be held on the same footing as POC. I'm not claiming I know things about being POC. I know that I'm mostly white, the majority of my family is white, and privileges and all that. But what I do want to know is why I, and other people in interracial families, am not allowed to embrace any of the cultures in my family without being yelled at. Like...if I want to learn more and surround myself with stuff related to the POC side of my family with or the things I grew up it's appropriation and attention-seeking and "not your place", but if I try to escape that negativity by learning more about the English and Irish parts of my family, it's all "why would you want to learn about colonisers?" and a bunch of other bs none of us really have time to unpack. So...what culture am I allowed to have? I feel like I'm not allowed any, which is something I've heard from other people with interracial families. It's like we have to pick a side based on our looks and stay on that side, or we're not allowed to enjoy our cultures at all and I don't really understand it. And no one ever explains it to me when I ask, either. It's always a "that's not for you" and either getting told off for wanting to enjoy my family's cultures or end of conversation. I just...really don't get it. And I really want to.

--
Thinking:
It's too hot for loud noises. >_<

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Kaz is doing a lot better already, considering he's only been on his allergy meds since yesterday. Colour me relieved.

+It's nice, getting back into BotW; I've forgotten where certain areas on the map are, but re-discovering things is half the fun.

Goldsickle

This seems to be a year where things break down one at a time.
My washing machine, electric kettle and electric toothbrush broke down and needed to be replaced.

My air-conditioner is also on its last leg.
It's a decade-old model and has no available spare parts, meaning I will have to replace that sooner or later.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Looks like summer has come and gone given this week long rain storm which doesn't appear to be letting up any time soon.

The warmth was nice while it lasted.
No. No it wasn't.

It was hot and sticky and vile and you know it.

You just have UK related Weatheritis; it's like short term amnesia but specifically in terms of weather. We hate whatever weather it is at the time and then when we don't have it anymore, we complain bitterly and long for it to come back. And when it does, we complain bitterly and the horrid cycle goes on and on and on.

Then we die and the next generation continues as we have done. It is written.

You know this is true. Don't deny it.

I won't let you.

:ninja:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
No. No it wasn't.

It was hot and sticky and vile and you know it.

You just have UK related Weatheritis; it's like short term amnesia but specifically in terms of weather. We hate whatever weather it is at the time and then when we don't have it anymore, we complain bitterly and long for it to come back. And when it does, we complain bitterly and the horrid cycle goes on and on and on.

Then we die and the next generation continues as we have done. It is written.

You know this is true. Don't deny it.

I won't let you.

:ninja:

I suspect we Canadians got it from you, then. xD

CT: Nooo...where did the old emojis go? :eek:

+ Cold and allergies, you can go away any time now. -Is sick of sneezing and itchy eyes-

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I broke two personal records during one run, both in average pace and in max pace per kilometer, and I can't believe I'm already this strong.
Also, I've lost 12 kgs during the past 14 weeks and I gotta buy a lot of new jeans and trousers because of it. So I think I'm finally over BED.

Overall, I'm damn happy to stand here right now. It was a rough year in every way, but it made several people stand up for me and guide me through that crap. Hell yeah, from now on I'm so gonna wipe the floor with any negativity in my life, whether it originates from myself or someone else.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
In addition to Kleenex on the house and a glass of water and a nice armchair to sit on, every psychotherapist should have a pile of paper bags for their customers.
You know, for their way home.

Yup, it was a rough session. And it was just the first out of 100.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Anarky might work as a proto-Robin for the Pattinson batman era.

He's a bit older and motivated to change the world because of philosophy than personal trauma. So he would look for teacher than a second parent.

Its a dynamic that interests me.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Welp, at least the Robaxacet is helping.

The fact that I hurt myself doing something mundane (might have been a sneeze, might have tried to turn too quickly) doesn't even come as a surprise anymore, sadly. But after two nights of barely any sleep, I'll take any relief I can get with gusto.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Edited an old video where I'm fighting Hino-Enma in Nioh and I'm just thinking if I should begin Nioh 2 with recording my whole playtime.

It would just be terribly time-consuming. Disk space as well. Maybe I'll go with Nioh 2 bosses only or something like that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Not sure how I feel about Henry Cavill cuz I'm not a huge fan of his, but the show itself looks really interesting and fun. :D -eagerly awaits-

Thinking:
Why does the house fixing stuff never end?
Its a movie not a show. But since its based off a bunch of books, it could become a series if this one is successful.

I'm still unpacking boxes at the new house so i know what you mean.

Top Bottom