• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Western vs. Eastern design

Which style of game is better?

• Western (Ex. Gears of War, Killzone)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Eastern (Ex. Persona, Final Fantasy)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Both

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
I like both!It depends not only on the genre,but the type and theme too.I can never imagine a successfull Stylish-action game from the west but I also can't imagine a successfull superhero game from the east.Each side has their own unique game and I love that.

Meg

aka958;270788 said:
Crisis Core, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X.

Just saying, these are so far from fail. Final Fantasy XII is nothing special and Final Fantasy XIII is kinda meh, but these ones are great and their design is great. :cool:

And yet I don't like the stories in any of those games. :p

@DB- Well said! I agree completely.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Really?Thanks!:D

It's funny that we still haven't seen a complete collaboration between the two gaming ideals yet.

H

HarbingerOfChaos

Definitely Western.

The last thing we need is DMC turning a into a animu ****-fest.

Meg

Devil Bane;270884 said:
^Really?Thanks!:D

It's funny that we still haven't seen a complete collaboration between the two gaming ideals yet.

What about the first three DMCs? They were eastern made games with a lot of western influence. And from what I know Versus XIII has a more western atmosphere. Hmm...I see your point though.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Not only them,but MGS,Castlevania and Gungrave are full of western elements if not actually western among others made from japanese people but we also have...say...Ensalved and Heavenly Sword,made from westerners but the games still have plenty of eastern elements.These are just examples...I believe the list is huge on both sides[ok,not so much on the western side...]

Just felt like stating it.Thanks again meg,it's a great thread.:D

Meg

^ What's that supposed to mean? :lol:

@DB- What kind of collaboration would you like to see? You mean like between developers? Marvel vs. Capcom is probably the best example of that.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Is it?I always thought it was Capcom making the gameplay and story and...THQ?Don't know the company that owns the rights for games with marvel heroes just provided the liscence to Capcom.I really don't know.

But to answer the question,yes,I'd love to see that.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
THQ are not involved in Marvel vs. Capcom series. The possible company that owns Marvel Super Heroes is Marvel itself, for obvious reasons.

The reason why the game took so long to be announced is because Capcom has not been able to retain the Marvel license due to legal issues of copyright.

Plus, Marvel vs. Capcom games are all developed and published by Capcom, including the upcoming Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
So the companies that publish the marvel super hero games are not involved.Thanks for the tip Chaos.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Personally i think Eastern games need a little updating. Western games have evolved over the years from linear shooters to well crafted multiple choice RPG's with lots of customisation options (Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout 3) etc. Whereas eastern games have stayed with rather linear, turn based combat, storybased games that have preset characters (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean, Persona). I cant help but feel that no matter how a game looks the eastern style always feels dated these days

Lost Odyessy could slot right next to the Final Fantasys of old rather nicely (im aware that it came from the same creator). However it immediately felt dated from the moment i played it. Just think some of them need to get with the times and introduce some new ideas. I enjoyed Final Fantasy and Lost Odyessy etc immensely but find myself playing more Western RPG's now for the choice, multiple endings and customisation aspects.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Devil Bane;271215 said:
So the companies that publish the marvel super hero games are not involved.Thanks for the tip Chaos.

No problem. ^_^

Dark Drakan;271347 said:
Personally i think Eastern games need a little updating. Western games have evolved over the years from linear shooters to well crafted multiple choice RPG's with lots of customisation options (Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout 3) etc. Whereas eastern games have stayed with rather linear, turn based combat, storybased games that have preset characters (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean, Persona). I cant help but feel that no matter how a game looks the eastern style always feels dated these days

Lost Odyessy could slot right next to the Final Fantasys of old rather nicely (im aware that it came from the same creator). However it immediately felt dated from the moment i played it. Just think some of them need to get with the times and introduce some new ideas. I enjoyed Final Fantasy and Lost Odyessy etc immensely but find myself playing more Western RPG's now for the choice, multiple endings and customisation aspects.

True, true. Although I still stand by loving both sides of games. :lol:

Eastern games need some innovation lately. Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 are good games, but nothing much new were included. should realise that it takes more than graphics to make us players to be interested. The Western games particularly have evolved a lot and branched to many successful game genres.

On a side note, is Lost Odyssey a good game? And how does it fare against The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? Is the game worth buying, or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a better buy?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;271348 said:
On a side note, is Lost Odyssey a good game? And how does it fare against The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? Is the game worth buying, or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a better buy?

Its a good game but you cant compare it to Oblivion. As Oblivion has hundreds of hours of gameplay and requires multiple playthroughs and has lots of DLC. Lost Odyssey is like an old school Final Fantasy title reminiscent of the early console Final Fantasy's (obviously not FFXII or FFXIII). Good in its own right but Oblivion is better value for money and the better game however they are both totally different types of games so depends on your taste.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;271359 said:
Its a good game but you cant compare it to Oblivion. As Oblivion has hundreds of hours of gameplay and requires multiple playthroughs and has lots of DLC. Lost Odyssey is like an old school Final Fantasy title reminiscent of the early console Final Fantasy's (obviously not FFXII or FFXIII). Good in its own right but Oblivion is better value for money and the better game however they are both totally different types of games so depends on your taste.

I see. I heard Oblivion have only one DVD, but Lost Odyssey have 4 DVDs!!!o_O That must be really expensive.

Reminsicent of early FF games, huh? In a bad way, I presume? Seems kind of outdated to me. And 4 DVDs are kinda pushing it...

What about comparing between Dragon Age: Origins and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? Are they similar in any way, or different as well?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;271361 said:
I see. I heard Oblivion have only one DVD, but Lost Odyssey have 4 DVDs!!!o_O That must be really expensive.

Reminsicent of early FF games, huh? In a bad way, I presume? Seems kind of outdated to me. And 4 DVDs are kinda pushing it...

What about comparing between Dragon Age: Origins and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? Are they similar in any way, or different as well?

Oblivion was on one DVD yeah but Oblivion has no FMV cutscenes as the in game movies are all done with the in game engine. These are the things that take up the storage space on DVD's. As like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey is very cutscene driven. I wouldnt say it was reminiscent in a bad way as it gave me a nostalgic feeling when i played it. However it does make you think it was created before its time as it feels quite old school and plays a lot like Final Fantasy.

The only way Dragon Age and Oblivion are similar is that they are both based around Knights and mystical creatures. They play entirely differently however and Dragon Age plays more like an old school PC RPG like Baldurs Gate or NeverWinter Nights.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;271366 said:
Oblivion was on one DVD yeah but Oblivion has no FMV cutscenes as the in game movies are all done with the in game engine. These are the things that take up the storage space on DVD's. As like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey is very cutscene driven. I wouldnt say it was reminiscent in a bad way as it gave me a nostalgic feeling when i played it. However it does make you think it was created before its time as it feels quite old school and plays a lot like Final Fantasy.

The only way Dragon Age and Oblivion are similar is that they are both based around Knights and mystical creatures. They play entirely differently however and Dragon Age plays more like an old school PC RPG like Baldurs Gate or NeverWinter Nights.

I see. Thanks for explaining. Perhaps I should get Oblivion first. :D

So how does Oblivion play? Like World of Warcraft, Diablo, or etc?

Is it an old game? How old it will be?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;271376 said:
I see. Thanks for explaining. Perhaps I should get Oblivion first. :D

So how does Oblivion play? Like World of Warcraft, Diablo, or etc?

Is it an old game? How old it will be?

Not THAT old and looks better than both WoW and Diablo it came out in 2006. Its a first person game and WoW and Diablo are both 3rd person. It can be played in 3rd person but the camera and movements look a little odd and hard to attack enemies. So much better to play in 1st person. I take it you havent played an Elder Scrolls game or any other Bethesda games (Fallout 3) etc?

[youtube]-7f3PUhoVLc[/youtube]

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;271378 said:
Not THAT old and looks better than both WoW and Diablo it came out in 2006. Its a first person game and WoW and Diablo are both 3rd person. It can be played in 3rd person but the camera and movements look a little odd and hard to attack enemies. So much better to play in 1st person. I take it you havent played an Elder Scrolls game or any other Bethesda games (Fallout 3) etc?

[youtube]-7f3PUhoVLc[/youtube]

Yes, I haven't played any of Elder Scrolls game. I have played Fallout 3, and it is awesome. :D Although I prefer to play in 3rd Person Mode.

That game looks great! I am gonna get it, if it was still around in my place, that is. And a great gameplay video and review as well. :)

Thanks for explaining this game. :D

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;271383 said:
Yes, I haven't played any of Elder Scrolls game. I have played Fallout 3, and it is awesome. :D Although I prefer to play in 3rd Person Mode.

That game looks great! I am gonna get it, if it was still around in my place, that is. And a great gameplay video and review as well. :)

Thanks for explaining this game. :D

Fallout 3 uses an updated version of Oblivions engine they are both exceptional games. Its still sold in most stores and can get the GOTY editions for cheap too.

Top Bottom