• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Western vs. Eastern design

Which style of game is better?

• Western (Ex. Gears of War, Killzone)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Eastern (Ex. Persona, Final Fantasy)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Both

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Meg

Well with all the "Khksdjbvslkgla kugs !!!!!!" going on. (Translation: AHHH! DMC is gonna be westernized!!!!!!!) :lol: I thought I'd make a thread debating which style you prefer. Soooo let's discuss! ^_^

For me. I like both. Western games tend to be grittier and darker and eastern games tend to be flashier and prettier but both are good. Not only that, but not ALL western games are just violence. Bioshock is one of the most creative games out there and its a western game. It works both ways to. Nier is an eastern game and that is very violent. I think the problem to why lots of people say that western games are this way and eastern games are that way is because of the flagship games for each. For instance.

Eastern games: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts
Western games: Killzone, Halo, God of War

BUT! There be exceptions. Like I said Bioshock and Nier, but also games like Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted for the western side and the first three DMC for the eastern side.

What do you guys think? :)

P.S. I've been making a lot of threads lately. :wacko:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I like Eastern games, to be truthful... Western games are really... I dunno, bleh to me. Overdone.

Meg

Overdone meaning......? You mean the amount of shooters there are? I agree! But to me there are to many JRPGs out there which seem to be the most popular genre of eastern games. To me, both sides need a face lift and while we are getting that slowly we still need more.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
meg127;270578 said:
Overdone meaning......? You mean the amount of shooters there are? I agree! But to me there are to many JRPGs out there which seem to be the most popular genre of eastern games. To me, both sides need a face lift and while we are getting that slowly we still need more.

Shooters are far too overdone.

JRPGs are at least a bit fun. But I'll agree they kinda need to move away from the tried and true and do something a little better. Both sides do.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I'm going to be honest...for most games, I prefer Western. Not because it's better, but they just fit my style of play more.

Now, from a DMC point of view, while I like the Eastern style, I am eager to see it done up by Western Devs.

All in all, I like Western games more (not because of the violence...to be honest, I only play one EXTREMELY violent game, and that's Gears of War. The rest are all Halo violence level or below)

But DON'T get me wrong! I do like Eastern games too! I actually like a lot of Eastern things. But yes, Eastern games are nice too.

PS~ Meg, you may want to change the title of this thread if you can...from Western vs Eastern, to maybe something like "Prefer Western or Eastern"...if you can. If not, then meh o_o

Meg

^ Oh crap that's right, Vs. thread s are banned! o_O I didn't think of that because this is more about which you prefer over which is better. I'm sure Mr. Credo will understand. He's a reasonable guy. ^_^

@DT- for me, shooters just need something new. Innovation I guess. The first Bioshock did that and Bioshock Infinite seems to do it again, but that really isn't enough. Same for JRPGs. FFXIII did a lot of things differently and got bashed for it. ;_; Shame. Although Persona 3 was very very original and I had a lot of fun playing it despite it using lots of basic JRPG elements.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I find that the only shooters worth playing are the ones that are hyped up right now...Halo, Call of Duty and Killzone.

Even Resistance really failed to bring anything new to the table. At least the three above are all very unique in their own ways.

Meg

^ I liked the first Resistance, but I think the sequel tried to be to big and awesome. I'm not saying every shooter has to be Wolfenstein, but they need to be more than just carbon copies of one another.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
The first one was alright. But something just feels missing. I don't know. The only reason I ever play the second one is just for the multiplayer. And I only played it twice.

Demon619

Deadman walking
Gota say I prefer Western games alittle bit more than Eastern, but its still very close.

AS long as I switch between them from time to time, I'm fine with both.

Sometimes I want to be looking though a sniper Scope myself when I blow somethings head off and I enjoy that, thats something I can only get from most Western games. And at other time I like to enjoy the style in games like DMC, something I can only get from Eastern games.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I love both game designs. Each have their own unique sense of style, gameplay, etc. Both sides have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Good thread. :)

aka958

Don't trust people
JRPGS... they differ ALOT more than the FPS games nowadays. They all got different stories, gameplay, etc. The only thing I see in FPS game that differs is design, the gameplay always seem to be the same. Every FPS seem to be just exactly like the other one, with nothing but minor changes. There are a few FPS games who brings new stuff up and makes it more entertaining though.

Western games got The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, most RTS games, etc. Successful RTS games = epic. Just saying. :p

Eastern games got Final Fantasy (*drools*), Kingdom Hearts (Lulz... same developer. xP), Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Prinny, great Shoot'em ups, great JRPGS, Nintendo's games (You know them, I don't have to name them. :p)

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
BlueDevil;270580 said:
I'm going to be honest...for most games, I prefer Western. Not because it's better, but they just fit my style of play more.

Now, from a DMC point of view, while I like the Eastern style, I am eager to see it done up by Western Devs.

All in all, I like Western games more (not because of the violence...to be honest, I only play one EXTREMELY violent game, and that's Gears of War. The rest are all Halo violence level or below)

But DON'T get me wrong! I do like Eastern games too! I actually like a lot of Eastern things. But yes, Eastern games are nice too.

PS~ Meg, you may want to change the title of this thread if you can...from Western vs Eastern, to maybe something like "Prefer Western or Eastern"...if you can. If not, then meh o_o

Quoted for truth.

---

Also, I'll let this one slide seeing as the discussion here is keeping to an acceptable level of maturity, though if it slips below that and turns into a flame-fest, I'll be locking this thread down tighter than Guantanamo Bay.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Im a lot liked eastern Rpg's and Im devoted to Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei games beacuse I like Fantasy and more dark themes in my life

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;270670 said:
Quoted for truth.

---

Also, I'll let this one slide seeing as the discussion here is keeping to an acceptable level of maturity, though if it slips below that and turns into a flame-fest, I'll be locking this thread down tighter than Guantanamo Bay.

Guantanamo Bay? Huh? I didn't get that. >.<

lorddemolatron;270684 said:
Im a lot liked eastern Rpg's and Im devoted to Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei games beacuse I like Fantasy and more dark themes in my life

Final Fantasy ftw! XD

Meg

Angelo Credo;270670 said:
Quoted for truth.

---

Phew! Thanks Mr. Credo. Sorry about bending the rules. I didn't think of that. ._.

Anyway! ^_^ On topic: Looks like most people prefer both. Yeah both! The thing with eastern design, for me, is that the story is supposed to be the main appeal, but most eastern stories suck. At least with western design games the stories don't matter much so they don't distract from what matters, the gameplay. Although, one of the best stories in any game ever, Persona 3, is an eastern game.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
meg127;270705 said:
Phew! Thanks Mr. Credo. Sorry about bending the rules. I didn't think of that. ._.

Anyway! ^_^ On topic: Looks like most people prefer both. Yeah both! The thing with eastern design, for me, is that the story is supposed to be the main appeal, but most eastern stories suck. At least with western design games the stories don't matter much so they don't distract from what matters, the gameplay. Although, one of the best stories in any game ever, Persona 3, is an eastern game.

Dang, what a bash on Eastern games, hah.

Question: Do Eastern designers make games of all genres?

I've noticed that Western dsigners have spread into everything (fighting, shooters, racing, RPGs, mecha and flight simulators, RTS, Hack'n'Slash)

Do Eastern designers do all of that? I'm not bashing them if they don't, I'm just wondering.

Meg

^ I wasn't bashing! :lol: I was just stating a fact. (Note: 'fact' meaning my opinion ;)) I mean let's face it:

western stories (on average)= blow stuff up for whatever reason
eastern stories (on average)= tries to be cool and epic, but just fails

Not allll eastern stories suck. Persona 3 :wub: Just a lot of them. And a lot of western stories suck to, just in a different way. Make sense? :lol:

Eastern games don't spread out as much, much they do have games of many different genres.

aka958

Don't trust people
BlueDevil;270734 said:
Dang, what a bash on Eastern games, hah.

Question: Do Eastern designers make games of all genres?

I've noticed that Western dsigners have spread into everything (fighting, shooters, racing, RPGs, mecha and flight simulators, RTS, Hack'n'Slash)

Do Eastern designers do all of that? I'm not bashing them if they don't, I'm just wondering.

Some western designers are just awesome with their designing, but others are just FPS all the way. <_< If I look through the PS3 shelf in the closest GAME store I will find that oer 75% percent of all PS3 games are just FPS games. I don't want FPS games... Why do I need to go order the good games on the internet!?

meg127;270743 said:
^ I wasn't bashing! :lol: I was just stating a fact. (Note: 'fact' meaning my opinion ;)) I mean let's face it:

western stories (on average)= blow stuff up for whatever reason
eastern stories (on average)= tries to be cool and epic, but just fails

Not allll eastern stories suck. Persona 3 :wub: Just a lot of them. And a lot of western stories suck to, just in a different way. Make sense? :lol:

Eastern games don't spread out as much, much they do have games of many different genres.

Crisis Core, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X.

Just saying, these are so far from fail. Final Fantasy XII is nothing special and Final Fantasy XIII is kinda meh, but these ones are great and their design is great. :cool:

Top Bottom