• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's true motivations( from a official book called Trinity of Fates)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
^ I wonder why Vergil seeks power so much. The translation says he seeks it out for a genuine desire of wanting to be stronger.

But how can someone want to be stronger without a cause?

He has a cause, but it was too early to say it in that book :)

IncarnatedDemon

Yeah i read about Sparda and he wanted to be his successor Berto.

But wasnt our theory of Eva having something with Vergil wanting power correct? I may have to read that novel : P

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
It's funny how people are so willing to accept this "version" of Vergil as the "One True Canon", yet turn around and say that DmC "doesn't deserve its namesake" no matter how much Capcom insists.

And it's funny to see you bitching and whining because people doesn't agree with you and showed how wrong your delusional view on this character is.

Welcome to the minds of stubborn, fact-twisting, self-entitled, tunnel-vision, logic-defying, truth-denying fanboys.

I think I'm going to put that on my sig for a while. :lol:

You're the one denying reality and avoiding bearing your mistakes, the better you can do is scream about how people are wrong and you're right.

Q46lPjY.jpg

Gel

Premium

But wasnt our theory of Eva having something with Vergil wanting power correct? I may have to read that novel : P

Are you talking about DMC1 novel?I don't remember that novel refering something about that.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

It seems to be the most reasonable motivation for Vergil (from what we know about his story) to assume that he wanted power and had that line about protection with Dante because of Eva's death. But his real motivations were never clearly presented, with Nero confirmed as his son people believes (including me) that it has something to do with Nero and his mother too.

Gel

Premium
Yeah , agreed.It could worked as a trigger for his need of power and revenge. Traumatic situations can "wake up" old fears and obsessions.

berto

I Saw the Devil

Well, fortunately for you the novel can now be read online and the link in this section, just ask Gel.

Anyway, we say that Vergil wants it because of the line 'without might you can't protect anything, much less yourself' which lead us to believe that the events of his childhood have made him desire power as compensation for not been able to protect her. The translation would seem to back that fact where it states that the death of their mother had become a defining moment in the children's lives, it had steered them into different directions, opposite, even. All their driving forces seem to originate from that event.

That, however, is theory. There is evidence but we are still left guessing and analyzing.

Gel

Premium
I could be overreaching this, but in some DMC3 cutscenes I had the impression Vergil shows some signs of dispair, like he wants get Sparda's power quick as possible and acts as Arkham wasn't quick enough on doing his part of the plan.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I could be overreaching this, but in some DMC3 cutscenes I had the impression Vergil shows some signs of dispair, like he wants get Sparda's power quick as possible and acts as Arkham wasn't quick enough on doing his part of the plan.

I had the same impression, mainly on this cutscene, he's so calm and collected but he seems to be really ****ed and anxious (walking around the ritual pool thing) here:

EDIT: I mean, you can clearly see the difference in his way of acting in that cutscene and in these:

Gel

Premium
I had the same impression, mainly on this cutscene, he's so calm and collected but he seems to be really ****ed and anxious (walking around the ritual pool thing) here:

In that scene too, but do you remember the first time Vergil has Dante's amulet and he puts it against his front? That facial expression of his?And that one where Arkham is reading a spell on his book to open the door , Vergil has a annoyed expression of " hurry up ".

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Vergil had always looked like someone who NEEDED to feel he had everything under control. That's why he acts so pi$$ed when things get out of hand in that first cutscene you posted.

Maybe (and one again, speculation) this too comes from the trauma of seeing his mother killed without him being able to do nothing about it.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Vergil had always looked like someone who NEEDED to feel he had everything under control. That's why he acts so pi$$ed when things get out of hand in that first cutscene you posted.

Maybe (and one again, speculation) this too comes from the trauma of seeing his mother killed without him being able to do nothing about it.

Very reasonable standpoint too, besides, analyzing the last cutscene showing him and Dante we could speculate more and gather more information?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
THEORY
Not a conclusion. U people are so thick. come on.
What did you expect?

It would be naive to think that you can just write something like your "theory" without being questioned. At least, you must have some possible evidences from the game to even reckon he had a wife in the first place.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I wonder about the Jungian prospects here. If Dante is Vergil's shadow and Vergil is Dante's do they realize that? They are identical so you got to wonder if they think of the other every time they look in the mirror and do they think about the possibility that they could've ended up like the other. Do they understand each other despite been at odds?

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Very reasonable standpoint too, besides, analyzing the last cutscene showing him and Dante we could speculate more and gather more information?
Oh, those last cutscenes are awesome to speculate about. ^^

It's particular that Vergil doesn't answer Dante's question about what he is going to do with Sparda's power. He just goes off screaming "You are wasting time!", but doesn't really ANSWER his question. This made me speculate that maybe he doesn't even know WHY he wants power, just that, as it had repeatedly been said, he FEELS the need for power in not a distinct way. It's just a need coming from a trauma, not a completely rational thought. He doesn't really have a purpose for wanting power, but it's not because he is a character without development, but because it is a reaction to a great 'wound' he suffered in the past.

Oh, and can someone briefly explain to me something about Jungian theories and the connections it has with the representations of Dante and Vergil as each other's shadows? I do not know much, so I can't follow you, sorry... :p

Gel

Premium
I wonder how can someone forget his twin brother everytime he sees his reflexion?. To me even parts of their character are similar, they only respond differently to the external stimulati.
If they are "parts" of Sparda and, unless Sparda had borderline personality, they shoud be similar in their core, I guess...

IncarnatedDemon

I don't think Dante forgot Vergil. He cried for him in DMC 3. And he had that sad look in DMC 1.

+ Dante's character is a character about a lonely guy. His twin dying explains that.

Gel

Premium
In this case ( since psychology is a mess to explain) you have two boys who were raised in the same conditions, love equaly and all, but under the same conditions you can have two completely different persons, since their psyche ("soul") is composed of their unconscious ( "animal instintcs" ) and their attitudes of the ego( the guardian of your mind , your ruler, your morals.)So the way they percept their external world is different, even if everything is equal to both.

I know, this is a mess! Sorry!:(

Top Bottom