• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's true motivations( from a official book called Trinity of Fates)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
You must note the following:

Even if someone is evil in the eyes of others, doesn't mean that person has not good intentions or even legit reasons for doing that.Not Vergil's case, but there is an example: Kat was abused by her step dad, she had to kill him to get free from once and for all. Even if that action has a jsutification, it doesn't means that in the eyes of other people, that is not a murder.
It's not the first time a villian has the right reason or in fact , he is the guy who was correct all the time.
Villain can even be merciful or gentle, without the obligation of explain why he did that, while Hero would had his acts put in cause by the fans.
DMC Vergil was the villain because is said he is the bad guy, but his morals, good or bad. are unshakable anfd permanent, while the good guy, DMC Dante, was caught more than once acting upon dubious actions, preaching a thing and doing exactly the opposite and having highly disturbing attitudes. Why is he a good guy? Because the creator said so.
After put my " rose tinted glasses" way , I realised Dante was not so heroic and so faithful to his cause,neither his love for humanity is so true as he says.The same for Vergil: he was more correct and virtuous than I ever thought .

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
You must note the following:

Even if someone is evil in the eyes of others, doesn't mean that person has not good intentions or even legit reasons for doing that.Not Vergil's case, but there is an example: Kat was abused by her step dad, she had to kill him to get free from once and for all. Even if that action has a jsutification, it doesn't means that in the eyes of other people, that is not a murder.
It's not the first time a villian has the right reason or in fact , he is the guy who was correct all the time.
Villain can even be merciful or gentle, without the obligation of explain why he did that, while Hero would had his acts put in cause by the fans.
DMC Vergil was the villain because is said he is the bad guy, but his morals, good or bad. are unshakable anfd permanent, while the good guy, DMC Dante, was caught more than once acting upon dubious actions, preaching a thing and doing exactly the opposite and having highly disturbing attitudes. Why is he a good guy? Because the creator said so.
After put my " rose tinted glasses" way , I realised Dante was not so heroic and so faithful to his cause,neither his love for humanity is so true as he says.The same for Vergil: he was more correct and virtuous than I ever thought .
This is a bit off topic, but it follows this line of thought about roles given by creators.

I think this contrast between the 'villain' and 'hero' roles as given by creators and a different judgement we can give of their actions is even more evident in DmC.
At the end of Mission 20, DmC Vergil is once again cast in a dark light because he wants to rule the humans. For the whole duration of DmC, the creators have tried to put us in Dante's shoes, tried to put Dante in the role of the hero. So, when he starts to disagree with Vergil, the script itself 'suggests' us that we should follow him instead of Vergil. Once again, we are put in a situation in which we have two distinct roles, one of which is considered positive (Dante), and one negative (Vergil).
However, I think that Vergil's position is not to be so easily dismissed as evil. I made a long postsome time ago about why we should give him much more credit that the creators themselves gave him in the first place. In this light, I think that by going down the road of making Vergil THE villain, NT missed an opportunity for creating a way more complex story, instead of simply flattening the complexity of the issues that could be raised. (Once again, it can be said that this was not a good thing to do in a Devil May Cry game, which is more about stylish fighting than plot complexity, but I'm talking in general terms here.)

That said, sorry for the slight off topic, I'll return to the issue at hand about DMC Vergil.
In this case, his actions are MORALLY wrong in the sense that he does not care about the casualties that will result from raising the tower. This is a pretty objective reason for judging THIS ACTION as morally wrong, no matter what Vergil's judgement about it is.
However, in general, Vergil is not completely a morally negative CHARACTER, as we can see if we consider his reasons. Once again, I say, we have a character whose reasons are not wrong, maybe even understandable, but who ends up doing wrong actions because of those (understandable) reasons.
Subjective reasons for doing something not always guarantee that this action is MORALLY right, where with 'morally' I mean in reference to a set of moral principles that can be considered widespread in our contemporary society. But I'm going all philosophical here, so I think I better stop now, or else I would have to write an essay about objectivity/truth in ethics and the issue of moral relativism, so... :p

(Btw, sorry if I write in capital letters for emphasis instead of using italics, but I'm writing from my iPad, and to write in italics I would have to write down all the code...and I'm lazy... >.< )

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Huh, the old "how can you possibly like/sympathise with ________ character" debate?

What are we, only allowed to endorse morally and pure and straight edge fictional characters? Funny how the real world doesn't have too many of those.

aoshi

abrahamlincolnk.jpg

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I like Hannibal Lecter too. I just made Dante/Vergil comparation since a lot of people call Vergil evil just because he used an "alternative" method to get what his spirit wanted.
Vergil wasn't all black neither Dante was all white.About society morals, I rarely take it seriously, since they say one thing and do the opposite. Call me childish if you want, but I'm more moved by examples than theories.:p

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Children are born to their mothers if you didnt know..
No ****, Sherlock.
And I theorized that vergil had a wife and gave birth to nero. Why wife? Because it's my theory, I can theorize whatever I want to.
As you wish. However, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Plus, By wife I indicated his lover, "wife" is the first word that came to my mind when I thought of his lover and I wrote it.
From what I remember, a sexual or romantic relationship with a lover is outside of marriage.

Anyway, it does not matter anymore considering that you are unable or simply not willing to provide me with the proper answer I sought.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
No ****, Sherlock. As you wish. However, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. From what I remember, a sexual or romantic relationship with a lover is outside of marriage.

Anyway, it does not matter anymore considering that you are unable or simply not willing to provide me with the proper answer I sought.
You're really making a fool out of yourself. I spent 2 posts to make you understand, and yet you fail to do so. Plus, Lovers cant be married? What kind of messed up place do you come from?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
You're really making a fool out of yourself. I spent 2 posts to make you understand, and yet you fail to do so. Plus, Lovers cant be married? What kind of messed up place do you come from?
Absurd. Your two posts were just gibberish that centered around Nero. You were inefficient in presenting me incontrovertible evidences that Vergil fell in love with a lady.

Where I originate is irrelevant with the matter at hand.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Absurd. Your two posts were just gibberish that centered around Nero. You were inefficient in presenting me incontrovertible evidences that Vergil fell in love with a lady.

Where I originate is irrelevant with the matter at hand.
The fact that you think the posts centered around nero, proves how stupid you are -_-

Top Bottom