• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil, Trish, and Lady Gameplay Analysis and Discussion

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah as I said some posts earlier, it is arguable that it makes sense story wise, but didn't they say his gameplay is not canon? So retain more of his "in control" feeling in combat, at this point.
Well considering nVergil is the latest incarnation of Vergil we have, why not build upon what that Vergil has added for this Vergil. DMC2 was a stepping stone for DMC3, so obviously nVergil's gameplay would be this Vergil's next step in the evolution.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well considering nVergil is the latest incarnation of Vergil we have, why not build upon what that Vergil has added for this Vergil. DMC2 was a stepping stone for DMC3, so obviously nVergil's gameplay would be this Vergil's next step in the evolution.

Yeah in terms of gameplay, absolutely. Build upon that. Not complaining about the gameplay stuff added by nVergil's moves. Merely their look applied to oVergil. I just believe they should have modified the animations just a little bit to fit oVergil's character better. An aesthetic adjustment you know.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Some things I noticed include:

The spinning sword taunt either isn't a taunt or can actually be used as an attack.

Vergil can Grim Trick or just Air Trick out of anything and into anything. A good replacement for Jump Canceling.

Summoned Swords....OP

His Upper Slash is different while DT it would seem. The animation looks like EX High Roller. His Upper Slash has high hit range.

His DT Kick 13 isn't the same as Dante's.

His DT Stinger has more hit range.....amazing.

So overall its not just his forward command inputs that has DT variants like Dante.

That cool combo he pulled off with Force Edge had a slight delay so its probably a pause combo.

Also, I never seen Vergil perform a normal dodge roll.

He pulls off a back dash when that Angelo attacked him. I wonder if that is an evade or its like Table Hopper? I'll be amazed if Vergil can pull off all these moves with just 1 attack button. Judgement Cut is so instantaneous and there is no indication of charging like before so how does he do it?

scionicspectre

I'm predicting that you just hold Triangle/Y until the move activates, much like Drive but without a release. The reason I say this is that I don't see Yamato charging and the warmup seems pretty consistent across each activation. Given the quality of play, I don't suppose the player was skilled enough to time releases so closely without a single hiccup.

If you recall, Drive was fairly laggy in DMC 3 before being sped up and expanded in 4, so it's very likely they're bringing similar changes to Judgement Cut after seeing players avoiding it so much before. Also, I'm sure its overuse in DmC gave them some ideas about a new implementation.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I know I know. It ain't a deal breaker by any means but you know... can't help but think that it would have been better if they kept DMC3 animation :/

We could always try to make a motion mod that recreates DMC3 XD
I'll keep my judgement on how the animations look when I've seen them all^^

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
More juicy screens:

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

020.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

100412.jpg

100415.jpg

100413.jpg

100414.jpg

Dominus

I'm predicting that you just hold Triangle/Y until the move activates, much like Drive but without a release. The reason I say this is that I don't see Yamato charging and the warmup seems pretty consistent across each activation. Given the quality of play, I don't suppose the player was skilled enough to time releases so closely without a single hiccup.

If you recall, Drive was fairly laggy in DMC 3 before being sped up and expanded in 4, so it's very likely they're bringing similar changes to Judgement Cut after seeing players avoiding it so much before. Also, I'm sure its overuse in DmC gave them some ideas about a new implementation.
I used judgement cut all the time with DMC3 Vergil, that **** tore through DT enemies like butter (if you go for the 3 consecutive orbs). I do wonder if they will allow you to do multiple judgement cuts in a row still though...

I don't like that they gave Vergil an exact rebellion combo, looks uncharacteristic of Vergil to be thrusting a million stab end like that (as seen in the picture). Could have incorporated it differently I think..

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

I am confident that Vergil will be OP regardless of super costume. Because of this I suggest a God Must Die mode like the one from the spoiler al trainer used by PC users. Does not seem like much work to integrate besides making sure enemies are not cheap.

DanteSparda08

The mind is stronger than any muscle in your body.
It would seem that this game just got way faster than before. Due to the improvements to running/Sprint the time it takes to reach the next fight just got quicker.....especially with Vergil.

Have to agree you there...just watched this on Saturday and I think everyone should take a look at this video

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/20/84...tion-dmc-dmc4-hands-on-preview-video-gameplay

"Whereas Devil May Cry 2's Trish played almost identically to Dante, she has her own totally new moveset in Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition."

Okay, that relieves me a bit.

"Unlike every other character in the game, she doesn't need to press a button to swap between weapons; instead, she'll change on the fly based off of the combo you're in."

Hmmm interesting. So the weapon switching is "embedded" into the combos or something like that? Seems... interesting. It also does sound like she's gonna be an even more newcomer friendly character than Nero is.

"While Trish might sound simpler to play, that doesn't mean she's any less fun. There's some depth to figuring out her combos and how they can be modified. With one attack, Trish throws her sword at enemies and it stays there for a short period of time, hitting anyone who comes near. While her sword is out, her moveset completely changes to focus on hand-to-hand combat."

So that move sounds like a mix between Sword Pierce and Round Trip. I can see this move to be a good setup for some stylish stuff.

"In her hilarious finisher move, Trish knocks an enemy into the air, taps her foot impatiently, and then, as they fall back to earth, smashes them out of the sky like a baseball. It's flashy as hell and feels incredible to pull off."

Now I'm curious to see this. And her taunts.

Overall, she looks pretty interesting to me, I look forward to play as her. Also Greg confirmed she's gonna have her traps from UMVC3.

Now, as for Lady...

DMC4SE_Lady_screen02.0.jpg

"Her main weapons are a set of pistols, a shotgun and a ridiculously powerful rocket launcher."

Well, this is slightly disappointing... I wanted her submachine gun from DMC3 to be usable too. Oh well.

"What's especially entertaining about playing as Lady is how it completely changes the main gameplay loop. Where other characters are primarily focused on getting close to enemies to keep combos rolling, Lady must devise ways to keep enemies at a distance. You can technically use your rocket launcher as a melee weapon, for example, but the main use of that is to smack enemies back, giving you distance to use your guns properly."

Okaaaaaay. You got my attention there. Now this is something I look forward to. A completely different way to approach the combat, preferring range instead of cqc. I'm curious to see what kind of stylish stuff she's able to pull off with her guns.

"Lady's love of firearms extends to all her abilities. Instead of the traditional supernatural double jump used by other characters in the game, she actually fires her rocket launcher down to give her an extra burst in the air, almost as if she were a competitive Quake 2 player."

That's... that's just genius. God f*cking bless you, Itsuno, and damn me for I doubted you and your damn team.

"I was able to see their intro cutscene, where the two women tear into Dante for being lazy and then steal his last slice of pizza. It was glorious."

LOL
Even though... not completely sure, but the way the guy wrote it, seems Lady and Trish are gonna share the same intro scene. Kinda lame :/

And look at that friggin Vergil Bloody Palace gameplay video... Jesus God, he's a wrecking machine.

Last edited:

DanteSparda08

The mind is stronger than any muscle in your body.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/20/84...tion-dmc-dmc4-hands-on-preview-video-gameplay

"Whereas Devil May Cry 2's Trish played almost identically to Dante, she has her own totally new moveset in Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition."

Okay, that relieves me a bit.

"Unlike every other character in the game, she doesn't need to press a button to swap between weapons; instead, she'll change on the fly based off of the combo you're in."

Hmmm interesting. So the weapon switching is "embedded" into the combos or something like that? Seems... interesting. It also does sound like she's gonna be an even more newcomer friendly character than Nero is.

"While Trish might sound simpler to play, that doesn't mean she's any less fun. There's some depth to figuring out her combos and how they can be modified. With one attack, Trish throws her sword at enemies and it stays there for a short period of time, hitting anyone who comes near. While her sword is out, her moveset completely changes to focus on hand-to-hand combat."

So that move sounds like a mix between Sword Pierce and Round Trip. I can see this move to be a good setup for some stylish stuff.

"In her hilarious finisher move, Trish knocks an enemy into the air, taps her foot impatiently, and then, as they fall back to earth, smashes them out of the sky like a baseball. It's flashy as hell and feels incredible to pull off."

Now I'm curious to see this. And her taunts.

Overall, she looks pretty interesting to me, I look forward to play as her. Also Greg confirmed she's gonna have her traps from UMVC3.

Now, as for Lady...

DMC4SE_Lady_screen02.0.jpg

"Her main weapons are a set of pistols, a shotgun and a ridiculously powerful rocket launcher."

Well, this is slightly disappointing... I wanted her submachine gun from DMC3 to be usable too. Oh well.

"What's especially entertaining about playing as Lady is how it completely changes the main gameplay loop. Where other characters are primarily focused on getting close to enemies to keep combos rolling, Lady must devise ways to keep enemies at a distance. You can technically use your rocket launcher as a melee weapon, for example, but the main use of that is to smack enemies back, giving you distance to use your guns properly."

Okaaaaaay. You got my attention there. Now this is something I look forward to. A completely different way to approach the combat, preferring range instead of cqc. I'm curious to see what kind of stylish stuff she's able to pull off with her guns.

"Lady's love of firearms extends to all her abilities. Instead of the traditional supernatural double jump used by other characters in the game, she actually fires her rocket launcher down to give her an extra burst in the air, almost as if she were a competitive Quake 2 player."

That's... that's just genius. God f*cking bless you, Itsuno, and damn me for I doubted you and your damn team.

"I was able to see their intro cutscene, where the two women tear into Dante for being lazy and then steal his last slice of pizza. It was glorious."

LOL
Even though... not completely sure, but the way the guy wrote it, seems Lady and Trish are gonna share the same intro scene. Kinda lame :/

And look at that friggin Vergil Bloody Palace gameplay video... Jesus God, he's a wrecking machine.

Them moves were quick as lightning though and damn the combat looks tight.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
After seeing enough of Vergil's gameplay, it's pretty obvious that he's a beast. Such a fast and efficient of fighting and damn...those summoned swords feels like they're gonna shatter the fabric of reality. I'm so glad they feel that strong and it's making me juicy.

And when it comes to Grim Trick, I think it's actually an imrpovement. That dynamic resembles a variation of Vergil from my fan fictions so maybe it's easy for me to familiarize with it. But as for the Vergil I know I'd still like to have no requirement to teleport to an enemy or anywhere else in that matter. Hope they can change it/improve it on a future title.

Judgement Cuts feels like they should be to my eyes and so is Yamato. Just like his summoned swords, lightning swift, a lot variable and totally beasty. As for Beowulf, I don't really see an improvement there; but having it is better than just having 2 devil arms. The more the merrier.

I'm really concerned about Force Edge though. Aerial Stinger is a nice -and somewhat necessary- implemention; but it just doesn't suit Vergil's combat style in my opinion. While each weapon Vergil has shows his cold, swift, concentrated combat style, Force Edge's moves seem like rushed, berserk, unstrategic ones. Like he's just going for it without thinking about what he's doing. It would still feel fun playing most likely; but it just seems out of character.

As for Trish and Lady, I'm looking forward for their gameplay footages; but I'm just not getting what I wanted from this Special Edition. I'm even considering not to buy the game. I could just try it out if any of my friends buy one. After that, I'll just watch the new cutscenes from YouTube, gather the new concept arts and hold on to them/speculate on them until a sequel emerges. So count me out of the hype train.

And honestly, I don't even think we'll get another DMC anymore. The more I think of it, the more DMC4:SE seems like a farewell title, a last fanservice for the fanatics of crazy gameplay. Other than the possible cameos in future titles of Capcom in this 4-5 years, DMC is most presumably dead...until they prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
More screens:

DMC4SE_Lady_screen02.bmp

DMC4SE_Lady_screen03.bmp

DMC4SE_Lady_screen04.bmp

DMC4SE_Trish_screen06.bmp

DMC4SE_Trish_screen07.bmp

DMC4SE_Vergil_screen10.bmp

Yep guys. Grenades confirmed for Lady. Sweet.

And... she's got another gauge above her health... hmmm...

And Trish looks sexy as hell, dude...

Last edited:

Khundy

Berserker
Vanilla Dante and Nero need more power to keep up with this new ****, after using them for last couple of years I'm hoping they get something new to make old fans still interested in them. Hoping so bad

Top Bottom