• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil, Trish, and Lady Gameplay Analysis and Discussion

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
None of that will matter when you play as him fox buddy, you will be having too much fun to notice

I know I know. It ain't a deal breaker by any means but you know... can't help but think that it would have been better if they kept DMC3 animation :/

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I ahree I will miss the judgement cut from 3 more than anything , how awesome would it be if the hyper dimension slash was like the hyper judgemet cut in the final battle that v does all over the screen

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's really just an aesthetic. Has no real impact on gameplay

I know it's just aesthetic. That's why I said it's not a deal breaker. Doesn't mean I like it though.

Classic Vergil is always in control of his body while attacking.
Him doing that half turn at the end of the charge gives the idea of him "losing control" of his own speed. In DMC3, Rapid Slash ended with his feet well positioned on the ground, he is in control.

You could argue that it's okay because he's before DMC3 now, so he might be fighting in a relatively more reckless way, but still.
It's just a small gripe I have, coming from the fact that I'm a die-hard fan of Vergil. Just like the one I have with how Judgment Cut looks.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I would feel the same if dante fell forward after a million stab or dance macabre like he does after moves in DmC , I get what you mean fox

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So long as he has a suave, stylish swagger as opposed to a clear loss of control, I'm not really bothered. The rest of the animations are looking mighty fine so far as I can see.

Well, the super move makes up for all the gripes I have. Fits his style perfectly.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The latest game had the best animations in the series.

I'm not talking about the quality of the animations (which is surely high in DmC), but how they fit the characters. In this case, DMC Vergil.
The DmC animation for Rapid Slash doesn't fit him. Nothing major of course, but kind of a letdown for an ultra fan of the character like me. Tbh, I feel none of the DmC animations fit him that well. I think they should have adjusted them a little bit to fit him more. Sure they add to the gameplay, like the ability to follow up after Upper Slash, but aesthetically they look a little off on DMC Vergil.

Veloran

Tbh, I feel none of the DmC animations fit him that well. I think they should have adjusted them a little bit to fit him more.
Why do people keep saying stuff like this?

They're not DmC animations, or even animations from DMC3 for that matter. They couldn't just rip stuff from entirely different games, that use entirely different engines and assets, and import them into DMC4 wholesale.

On the topic of Rapid Slash, yes it's a bit more sloppy. I think that makes a bit of sense considering this would be pre-DMC3, but moreover it's like that way for a reason within the gameplay.

See, DMC3 Vergil's RS was stylish and highly controlled yes, but when preformed on an enemy Vergil would still have to spin back around if he was still targeting them. Incorporating that movement into the animation itself is just an obvious design choice to make things less jank.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Veloran when I say DmC animation I don't mean they are ripped off from DmC directly and ported into DMC4. But you can clearly see that they are almost identical. And they don't fit DMC Vergil that well.

And I get what you mean when you talk about gameplay reasons, but how about making a little animation where he ends Rapid Slash like in DMC3, and immediately after he turns around elegantly? Kinda like Raiden does in MGR after you do a single heavy attack, just make it a 180 turning instead of Raiden's 360 (I would make gifs, but I'm not on PC right now). They would have achieved the same goal gameplay wise, but without making him look sloppier.

I know I'm over thinking a tiny detail. Downsides of being a super fan I guess.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
@Veloran when I say DmC animation I don't mean they are ripped off from DmC directly and ported into DMC4. But you can clearly see that they are almost identical. And they don't fit DMC Vergil that well.

And I get what you mean when you talk about gameplay reasons, but how about making a little animation where he ends Rapid Slash like in DMC3, and immediately after he turns around elegantly? Kinda like Raiden does in MGR after you do a single heavy attack, just make it a 180 turning instead of Raiden's 360 (I would make gifs, but I'm not on PC right now). They would have achieved the same goal gameplay wise, but without making him look sloppier.

I think Capcom is taking the approach NT took with the aesthetics of Vergil. Since this is pre DMC3, Vergil's movements are more erratic and forceful, while in DMC3 they were swift and more controlled. In DmC, Vergil's movements were from the bases of him not being as in control as he could've been. His background was a rich kid who is just now getting use to being a master over iaito. Naturally he'd still be a bit rough around the edges. The same could be said for DMC4 Vergil since this Vergil is preDMC3, which means not at his peak yet where his rapid slash is fast, and his judgement cuts aren't voids. Just like DmC Vergil.
I think this was intentional for story purpose and to show that Vergil is still learning.
I hope this is the case and if Capcom decides on DMC5 that they put actual emphasis on story for once with this series. Nothing super deep, but something better then Bleach 2.0 Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Veloran

Frankly, that'd be a bit too slow. Vergil's thing here is every single animation flowing instantaneously into every single other animation. Even a small moment where the player has to manually turn around might be too much - Did you see those linked Rapid Slashes, where Vergil is dashing back and forth near instantaneously?

I'd agree that a more controlled animation would be nice, but at the same time the absolute speed and ferocity he's displaying might be a fair tradeoff. Just based on what we've seen so far DMC4 Vergil is shaping up to be hands-down the fastest character in the entire series. I guess it just took him until DMC3 to gain more control over himself.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Even a small moment where the player has to manually turn around might be too much.

I didn't mean manually. Automatically, just like DmC. And even consisting of the same amount of frames. Just a more elegant movement, instead of that one.

Yeah as I said some posts earlier, it is arguable that it makes sense story wise, but didn't they say his gameplay is not canon? So retain more of his "in control" feeling in combat, at this point.

Top Bottom