• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

To those who give DINO a chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARandomGuy

moseslmpg;273947 said:
I have a question for those of you who give DMC In Name Only a chance, and say not to judge it so harshly, etc.

Why should we, as DMC fans, even care to give the game a chance? What do we owe it, given that it is DMC in name only? Do you feel that we ought to give it a chance because Capcom is making it or because it is called DMC or perhaps because the main character's name is Dante? Are you just holding out hope that the "real DMC" will show up later?

If this is really a reboot and there is no "clever" ruse as with the DMC4 trailer, why should we, DMC fans, even care if this game is bad or good? The way I see it, this isn't DMC, it is just a generic action game because there is nothing left of DMC except the name. If it is bad, tant pis, if it is good, tant meux. None of that means anything for DMC or DMC fans though.

Justify your temperance and submit yourself to Arishem the Judge.

I'm not going to persuade any of you people to like this title or believe that this game has anything to do with the past DMC series, your big boys and girls :p you can make up your own mind!
Now, I'm just simply going to ignore the fact that this DMC is a reboot (+ I will also ignore the novels) and am simply going to SPECULATE why I believe it's DMC related:

In this game Dante appears as an young adolescent (I even believe he's younger than in DMC3). I have reason to believe this game explains more of Dante's past and how he ended up as the awesome devil hunter we all know and love from DMC3 and so on.
Reason? Guys look at trailer more closely, didn't any of you notice the partial white hair on the back of his head? Now I know the novels stated that Dante and Vergil had white hair since they were born, but it is unsure of whether the novels are canon or not. So was a trauma, like per se being tortured in an asylum by the people you try to protect, the cause of Dante's hair lacking pigment or not? Guess we'll find soon :cool:

I would just like to remind everyone that this pure speculation!

moseslmpg

That's fine, that falls under the category of hope, which makes sense. But you do have to account for the fact that it is a reboot, and also that Dino is not younger than DMC3 Dante. He is older.
GamblingGambitCloud;274773 said:
u do realize that not giving this game a chance is like not playing Halo:Reach or ODST because Master Chief isn't in it right?
You really need to work on your analogies. You are very bad at them. All the Halo games take place in the same universe and have a far more coherent story than DMC, so this is irrelevant.

Ichi-nii

Dark Knight
Angel;274906 said:
But I thought that wiki article said it was a different universe?

Thats what I heard too, but nobody provided a link to Capcom's statement, so I dont know if thats entirely true.

moseslmpg

:rolleyes:

Gambit, it is a reboot, it is not the same universe, it is not canonical to the past series by definition. If you can't understand the intricacies of fictional continuities, don't make analogies about them.

BTW, everybody, reboot = different universe = different continuity = not canon. It isn't literally a different universe like with different planets and stuff.

moseslmpg

Yes, they have stated it is a reboot and reimagining, and that this Dante is younger than the one we usually see, and he is out to get revenge on the advice of some family member. That's all we know.

Cuervo

Yeah, here's what I found on Xbox 360 Digest:

“Set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC will depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred. Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost.”

Well, now we kinda know why Dante is angry and rebellious. I'm intrigued.

Edsabre

Eagle-eyed Devil Hunter
Wow, this thread is 6 pages in already.

Hmm...who do I give DINO a chance?

Well, I guess it's because, I've been gaming for a long time and I'm pretty passionate about it. In the past few years, I always catch myself thinking, and even preaching that game companies do a little too much rehashing the same tired sequels over and over again for the quick dollar. I shun long running franchises because they never seem to want to take creative but risky steps forward with them. Now, here I am, looking at a brand new (and very different) version of my all-time favorite series...should I turn on hypocrite mode and hate it because it's not exactly what I've come to expect? Or, do I swallow my fanboyism, take a deep breath and say "Y'know, this could be cool. Let's see how it plays out."

Because, the bottom line is, the Dante we know will always be the Dante I have fond memories of... and no manner of 'reboot' or 'reimagining' can take that away from me.

moseslmpg

You aren't even slightly disappointed that this seems to be the new DMC?

The whole "tired sequel" argument is, well, tired. DMC had 4 canonical games, nowhere near too many, and they hadn't run out of story to tell either.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Edsabre;274926 said:
Because, the bottom line is, the Dante we know will always be the Dante I have fond memories of... and no manner of 'reboot' or 'reimagining' can take that away from me.

You're right yanno. This is true.
And after coming up with a theory myself for the game I think if they changed a few things about this protagonist that just make me roll my eyes so much, I could get interested in it.

On its own merits, though. It doesn't need the name of the series I love on its cover if that's not what's in the box. It's like unwrapping a present and seeing a box with a shiny new awesome gaming laptop or something on it, and finding t- shirts inside. They might be really cool t-shirts, but its still a bummer.

That's why giving it that name has got me all spiteful and bothered cause they've already said its not the game we know.

No, it won't change my Dante. But I don't want to think that DMC 4 and MvC3 is the last I'm going to see of him or the rest of the DMC crew either.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
moseslmpg;274930 said:
The whole "tired sequel" argument is, well, tired. DMC had 4 canonical games, nowhere near too many, and they hadn't run out of story to tell either.

That much is true they just did a cut and run because they couldn't think of a way to dig themselves out of the mess they had created with Nero and his random demon arm and blood connection to Sparda when he was supposed have only had the 2 sons. That must have been what was going on all that time we were waiting for some news.

Months and months and months of brainstorming to come to the conclusion
"..yeah we're pretty f**ked here!"

moseslmpg

So in conclusion, it is Kobayashi's fault.

They probably couldn't find him so he could explain WTF Nero was, so they were just like "forget it, time to reboot this mutha."

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
moseslmpg;274946 said:
So in conclusion, it is Kobayashi's fault.

They probably couldn't find him so he could explain WTF Nero was, so they were just like "forget it, time to reboot this mutha."

LOL, They can explain it, they just have to throw a few random things.
Even if "DmC" is the reboot.
I'm sure the OG crew can keep throwing sequels at the canon DMC. Just call it DMC5 and the world will be straight again. :lol:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
As Reuben Langdon has said when asked, "it is what it is."

At the moment, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about it, but I'll give it a chance. I would very much like to see what younger Dante was like. And I'm feeling a whole lot better about DMC2 and 4 since seeing this, I can tell you that.

However, I really hope they haven't lost the DMC 'feel'; the gothic, broody atmopshere and architecture. I didn't get a sense of that much so far somehow.

As a fan, I'll probably give it a chance such to pick the game up and play it, but unless it starts impressing me soon it won't be for full price, which is what CAPCOM wants, isn't it? As a fan I don't really owe DMC anything, and DMC doesn't owe me anything... although DMC's success can both be attributed to its former makers and the fans/gamers who bought it enough to make it a multi-million selling franchise. If CAPCOM want more sales like they say, they don't want to estrange the fans of the series while fishing for new ones or trying to do something 'refreshing'. But really, they can do whatever they want. It was this 'let's try something else' spirit that led to the creation of DMC in the first place.

Ultimately however, if it doesn't feel like DMC I won't be happy. I don't like hack and slash games all that much anyway. Just DMC, for a variety of specific reasons. If those reasons aren't in the new one, I don't have much cause to be a fan of it.

Vampi

Kittn;274714 said:
And why do I have to be PC about this guy? I think he looks nasty and if there's more to him than the cruel bastid I saw in that trailer, then that's good, my mind will change if something gives it cause to - but he got my hackles up fast and the smoking thing just makes me roll my eyes. Right now? No Sale.

Game characters are usually designed to appeal to some demographic or another, and this one - well, I'm figuring I wasn't the target audience here. Guess I'm not western enough? *facepalm*

Well come to think of it. If they clean him up a lil, he would look just like Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The resemblance is uncanny

dmcdante.jpg

the-tudors-20070329001327652.jpg

JRM is quite famous in the UK. A lil sumthing new Dante has in common with JRM. Since new Dante wears a British flag on the sleeve of his jacket.

Anyway, all any of us can do is wait for more info from Capcom.

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
Vampi;275144 said:
Well come to think of it. If they clean him up a lil, he would look just like Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The resemblance is uncanny

dmcdante.jpg

the-tudors-20070329001327652.jpg

JRM is quite famous in the UK. A lil sumthing new Dante has in common with JRM. Since new Dante wears a British flag on the sleeve of his jacket.

Anyway, all any of us can do is wait for more info from Capcom.
****ing Brits! If you're westernizing a game series, at least have the decency to make it AMERICA! Or Canada... Dante vs. Infected Polar Bear Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom