• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

To those who are excited about DmC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I hope so, those marionette-like demons show some promising results...I hope they don't get lazy on designs though. I really wanna fight something that takes a bit and looks scary too. Not like those silly scarecrows in DMC 4. :p

Asmodaius

The boss demons have always been quite creative though, in my opinion. Even those in DMC4. A giant frog might sound terrible, but I loved those Rusalkas he used to lure in his victims. Bael and Dagon seemed to be a mix of gluttony and lust of the 7 deadly sins, should we go so far to analyze them. :p

I can't wait to see some of their ideas for boss characters in DmC. ^^

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
*drools* Yeah really, I can't wait. Well, maybe I can o_O Don't wanna rush it or one of the bosses might just very well be some acidic goo.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
*cough Plague Fiend? cough*

I don't think anyone will get that. >_<

Anyways, I hope the bosses look cool. Maybe they all have the same semi-mechanical look as those puppet enemies.

Serpant

Rebellious
Hello to every one on the thread , I have been reading your thoughts on the teaser and what to expect and I have some assumptions on the meter , so here goes.

I think that NT is a good choice for Capcom if they decided to go and make a game with some western fill to it.
NT have unique ability to make every game fill differently by the great architecture and atmosphere , just look at HS and Enslaved .
NT is the only company that choose to take the post apocalyptic world and made it beautiful instead of plain and dark .
The UT3 engine is a great choice as well just look at GOW2 or Arkham Asylum , they are a few of the best graphics the current console gen can present.

Now lets attend to DmC , Dante is an Iconic character for Capcom for me he's on the same level as Ryu or Mega man , but lately I have the filling that they made him too strong and he's just unbeatable , to sympathies with a character you need to know that he's vulnerable IMO . take superman for instant he's the strongest man alive and still crumbles before a piece of rock .

About hes visual appearance , yes it's not the Dante we all got use to see every damn installment there was , but by looking at the world and vibe of the game he suits it perfectly.
IMO every time his getting some of the demonic power hes hair turn whiter ,and the smoking is there because they wanted to show us the development of the character from point A (his mother dieing and his brother leaving and him getting deprecate and rebellious) to point B (when Dante realizing his strength and becoming a demon hunter).

That's what I think , sorry for the long post I just had to take it off my chest :) .

Asmodaius

Serpant;278860 said:
Hello to every one on the thread , I have been reading your thoughts on the teaser and what to expect and I have some assumptions on the meter , so here goes.

I think that NT is a good choice for Capcom if they decided to go and make a game with some western fill to it.
NT have unique ability to make every game fill differently by the great architecture and atmosphere , just look at HS and Enslaved .
NT is the only company that choose to take the post apocalyptic world and made it beautiful instead of plain and dark .
The UT3 engine is a great choice as well just look at GOW2 or Arkham Asylum , they are a few of the best graphics the current console gen can present.

Now lets attend to DmC , Dante is an Iconic character for Capcom for me he's on the same level as Ryu or Mega man , but lately I have the filling that they made him too strong and he's just unbeatable , to sympathies with a character you need to know that he's vulnerable IMO . take superman for instant he's the strongest man alive and still crumbles before a piece of rock .

About hes visual appearance , yes it's not the Dante we all got use to see every damn installment there was , but by looking at the world and vibe of the game he suits it perfectly.
IMO every time his getting some of the demonic power hes hair turn whiter ,and the smoking is there because they wanted to show us the development of the character from point A (his mother dieing and his brother leaving and him getting deprecate and rebellious) to point B (when Dante realizing his strength and becoming a demon hunter).

That's what I think , sorry for the long post I just had to take it off my chest :) .

Hey and welcome to the forums, Serpant. ^^

First of all... I am still chuckling at the "Superman crumbles before a rock", because it is just so true! Dante has no weaknesses from what we know, he is unbeatable, invincible and perhaps even immortal. In every game (excluding DMC2) Dante is penetrated through the chest with his own sword, and he just pulls it out and keeps on going.

To some that might be awesome, but to me, it gets boring. And that is one of the reasons why the new Dante appeals to me. He seems vulnerable, he can be hurt, and he might even have some mental issues. It makes him as a character alot more interesting and it gives him some more depth.

I still think Superman is one of the most boring superheroes of all times... but then again, I am a Marvel fan, not DCU. ;P

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
Serpant;278860 said:

Well said dude... I agree 100% with you.

Vampi

Dante is NOT immortal. I have no clue where everyone got that idea. Even in the DMC 4 novel it states that even though Dante is half-demon he does age. Meaning he will eventually die. Also in the DMC 1 novel (even though it might not be canon in sum degree) states that either taking his heart out or decapitating him Dante will die. Its just Dante is very hard to kill.

I don't know why Capcom can't think up a really powerful demon that's more powerful then Dante. Its not that hard, Dante is only HALF-demon ya know. He's not as powerful as everyone says he is cause his opponents have been lousy with the exception of Vergil, who can beat him to a pulp but chooses not to kill him cause he loves his brother no matter their differences.

GOW and Arkham Asylum aren't even in the same category as DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden. Since GOW doesn't really foccus so much on combos but on the narrative. Same goes for Batman AA. Yes the graphics are good for those two games, but DMC 4 looked good while still having fast gameplay. DMC is not suppose to be a graphical showcase. Its suppose to be about its fast-paced action. That's why it was the pioneer in Stylish Action games. Unreal Engine 3 just doesn't fit a fast-paced game like DMC without sacrificing alot of the graphics. Sumthing MT Framework didn't have to do.

The reason Kamiya made DMC is that he liked Castlevania, but didn't want a serious protagonist as the star. He wanted Dante to not take his environment that seriously, but only when the time came to be serious. That's why Dante is always witty all the time with the bosses. So Dante didn't really need to fit the environment, the environment needed to be his playground. That's why Castlevania Lords of Shadow looks great. The environments in that game compliment Gabriel Belmont not the other way round.

Serpant

Rebellious
First thing first Asmodaius 100% on the Marvel there my man :).
Now Vampi about the engine , I just checked and noticed that the only fast paced action on the UE3 was Wolverine and we all know how many graphical issues the game had (especially the texture loading in the middle of a game I hate that !).
but overall the mayhem on the screen the limbs flying and that action was well done so I have confidence that it may be done if Capcom will not rush NT to release the game fast.

Now about the Dante again , hes not a freaking Highlander christ , I don't need to take hes hart out or cut hes head off to kill him , the dude can heal from a sword in his chest almost immediately that just to much if u ask me.
Now you will think that I'm some 14 years old kid how loves Twilight and that is the reason I try so hard to bush the old Dante , well that not true I HATE TWILIGHT !!!!! well about that on another topic :).
I personally love Dante as he was in DMC3 we could relate to him because I saw some changes from the start till the end .
not the rest of the series didn't gave me that filling I just didn't care about Dante at all and that is what I'm trying to explain to you.
have a look at the Dante that I like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbrwIvDKIE
now in the end Dante does survive but hes not getting up at the same second and again we see him gain power that is the reason he survived not an unlimited power a la DMC4

You are welcome to argue and be angry at Capcom/NT but for now I think there is no reason what so ever to do so.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
im really very exited to play the new DMC because it seems that the game has lots to offer however i must say that i don't really like the new protagonist's style but I love DMC too much so i'll play the game...also hoping that the next one will be appreciated by everyone.

Dominus

Asmodaius;278872 said:
Hey and welcome to the forums, Serpant. ^^

First of all... I am still chuckling at the "Superman crumbles before a rock", because it is just so true! Dante has no weaknesses from what we know, he is unbeatable, invincible and perhaps even immortal. In every game (excluding DMC2) Dante is penetrated through the chest with his own sword, and he just pulls it out and keeps on going.

To some that might be awesome, but to me, it gets boring. And that is one of the reasons why the new Dante appeals to me. He seems vulnerable, he can be hurt, and he might even have some mental issues. It makes him as a character alot more interesting and it gives him some more depth.

I still think Superman is one of the most boring superheroes of all times... but then again, I am a Marvel fan, not DCU. ;P

Action games aren't about vulnerability, they are about kicking ass. And it was kind of evident that Dante wasn't easily killable to show his badassnessss, like IN DMC3 the first scene where he gets stabbed by all those scythes. He does show some vulnerability emotion wise in DMC1 and DMC3, but honestly who wants that to be his main character projection in DmC. I'd prefer my kickass Dante. Just look at this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2MvIC4j6E . No emotionally/physically vulnerable guy, just kickin ass and taking names...

Asmodaius

Dominus;279005 said:
Action games aren't about vulnerability, they are about kicking ass. And it was kind of evident that Dante wasn't easily killable to show his badassnessss, like IN DMC3 the first scene where he gets stabbed by all those scythes. He does show some vulnerability emotion wise in DMC1 and DMC3, but honestly who wants that to be his main character projection in DmC. I'd prefer my kickass Dante. Just look at this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2MvIC4j6E . No emotionally/physically vulnerable guy, just kickin ass and taking names...

Honestly... I do.

As entertaining as that might be, I get easily bored of such games. I had God Hand a month and then I traded it for a better game, because it was the same over and over all the way through the game, and the characters had no interesting personalities what so ever - in -my- opinion.

Devil May Cry has a more interesting storyline and interesting theme... however, after having seen the same Dante doing the same thing through four games, it starts to get dull. He has close to no character evolvement throughout the storyline and his personality stays more or less the same. He has no real issues, and those few issues he has he doesn't care to do anything about, because he just wants to "kick some ass". Granted, in DMC2 he was somewhat more silent and in DMC3 he was this sugar-hyped kid, but there is nothing groundbreaking happening to his character.

I like for my characters to show some progress as I play them through a storyline, something Ninja Theory is good at putting in their games. To have Dante start out as this fragile boy with alot of issues who becomes this invulnerable demon hunter is a nice concept which I think DmC is going to evolve around, seeing as this is a retelling of his origin and from what we see in the trailer.

God of War is another example of great character development, where Kratos starts out as this broken man who wants to make amends of his sins and then ends up replacing Ares in Olympus. He goes from being a redeemer to an avenger to a savior. In between we learn about his past, how he became this broken warrior and how he overcomes these trials which seem impossible, but Kratos is just so determined that he goes through with it. Even at the very end of the first game, he still hasn't obtained what it is he wants and thus attempts suicide, because he sees that as the only outcome.

Such things are what catches my interest in a game, and that's why this new Dante seems so interesting to me, because already in the trailer we see Dante in a situation we'd never imagine him being in - chained and weak in an interrogation room. That he smokes doesn't make him cool, it shows that he has weaknesses, an addiction. And I like that.

All this is of course a personal opinion. As mentioned before, I am no fan of Superman or characters alike, because they are simply just boring. Every game about Superman and every movie made about him is about exactly the same - a villain or a threat appears and then Superman saves the day.
BOOOOORIIIIIING! We learn that a chunk of rock hurled at him will turn him vulnerable, but that's about it.
Dante was becoming something alike so in my opinion, he needed a rehash. A full reboot with a totally new look... maybe not necessary, no, but that's what Capcom went with. And thus I am waiting expectantly on what they'll come up with.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I agree with Asmodaius. The same thing over and over and over and over four times in a row gets bland. An invulnerable superhero basically doesn't need a game, cuz you already know that he'll win because he's just that good. Which in my opinion, makes for a bad character. Which is why I only like DMC1 Dante and Nero. All the others are too shallow.

Serpant

Rebellious
Asmodaius;279092 said:
Honestly... I do.

As entertaining as that might be, I get easily bored of such games. I had God Hand a month and then I traded it for a better game, because it was the same over and over all the way through the game, and the characters had no interesting personalities what so ever - in -my- opinion.

Devil May Cry has a more interesting storyline and interesting theme... however, after having seen the same Dante doing the same thing through four games, it starts to get dull. He has close to no character evolvement throughout the storyline and his personality stays more or less the same. He has no real issues, and those few issues he has he doesn't care to do anything about, because he just wants to "kick some ass". Granted, in DMC2 he was somewhat more silent and in DMC3 he was this sugar-hyped kid, but there is nothing groundbreaking happening to his character.

I like for my characters to show some progress as I play them through a storyline, something Ninja Theory is good at putting in their games. To have Dante start out as this fragile boy with alot of issues who becomes this invulnerable demon hunter is a nice concept which I think DmC is going to evolve around, seeing as this is a retelling of his origin and from what we see in the trailer.

God of War is another example of great character development, where Kratos starts out as this broken man who wants to make amends of his sins and then ends up replacing Ares in Olympus. He goes from being a redeemer to an avenger to a savior. In between we learn about his past, how he became this broken warrior and how he overcomes these trials which seem impossible, but Kratos is just so determined that he goes through with it. Even at the very end of the first game, he still hasn't obtained what it is he wants and thus attempts suicide, because he sees that as the only outcome.

Such things are what catches my interest in a game, and that's why this new Dante seems so interesting to me, because already in the trailer we see Dante in a situation we'd never imagine him being in - chained and weak in an interrogation room. That he smokes doesn't make him cool, it shows that he has weaknesses, an addiction. And I like that.

All this is of course a personal opinion. As mentioned before, I am no fan of Superman or characters alike, because they are simply just boring. Every game about Superman and every movie made about him is about exactly the same - a villain or a threat appears and then Superman saves the day.
BOOOOORIIIIIING! We learn that a chunk of rock hurled at him will turn him vulnerable, but that's about it.
Dante was becoming something alike so in my opinion, he needed a rehash. A full reboot with a totally new look... maybe not necessary, no, but that's what Capcom went with. And thus I am waiting expectantly on what they'll come up with.

That's exactly what I wanted to write on Dominus comments man , I agree with you on that one.

Joel94

i honestly can't wait for this game. i'm hoping it takes a little scarier turn than the other games... but that may just be the resident evil fan in me talking (been playing that a lot lately haha) but i think that'd make the series more exciting if it stepped into the horror realm a bit, kinda like Splatterhouse haha

Dominus

Asmodaius;279092 said:
Honestly... I do.

Honestly God Hand has an immensely deeper fighting engine than anything DMC every threw out, so I don't know how you got bored of it (unless you sucked at it). And the game was more about gameplay and a crazy style than anything. If you want to play a game for story development GO PLAY HEAVENLY SWORD or God of WAr, DMC has never been about a deep story. I loved GOd of War (2 and 3) but with an immensely deep LINEAR story, once you beat the game it really has no replay value. I can't count the number of times I played Devil May Cry and God Hand compared to God of War.

I personally don't want to see the trend most action games are taking (besides bayonetta), where they are dumping the hardcore game elements for more of a story and for plenty of stylish QTEs, but its hard to fight the tide.

Asmodaius

Dominus;279154 said:
Honestly God Hand has an immensely deeper fighting engine than anything DMC every threw out, so I don't know how you got bored of it (unless you sucked at it). And the game was more about gameplay and a crazy style than anything. If you want to play a game for story development GO PLAY HEAVENLY SWORD or God of WAr, DMC has never been about a deep story. I loved GOd of War (2 and 3) but with an immensely deep LINEAR story, once you beat the game it really has no replay value. I can't count the number of times I played Devil May Cry and God Hand compared to God of War.

I personally don't want to see the trend most action games are taking (besides bayonetta), where they are dumping the hardcore game elements for more of a story and for plenty of stylish QTEs, but its hard to fight the tide.

And if you want to play as old Dante GO PLAY THE OTHER FOUR DMC GAMES WHERE HE IS IN! And if you want to play God Hand, then go play God Hand!
Sheesh... The new DmC appears to have some deeper story elements and some more depth to Dante as a character from what we've seen in the trailer. If you don't want that, well... then that's just too bad. Because from what it looks like, that's how it's going to be. Nothing is definite yet though, I hope all the stylish action gameplay is in it as well, but I like playing through a good storyline while kicking ass. If you're not a fan of that, then hope that they will make a "skip scene" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom