• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
There has been some babbling lately about whether travel restrictions should be enforced in Europe because of the coronavirus. The Parliament of Finland is gathering for a meeting tomorrow to talk about the virus and all the necessary actions.

My student exchange in Germany starts next month. I've got plane tickets for March 19th and I've rented an apartment with a 6-month contract. If I ever want to have an exchange semester, it's now or never.
If I have to give up my childhood dream of studying a semester abroad, when I'm just weeks away from reaching that dream and when I've got all the preparations set and I'm ready to go, and it's because of a virus (that is more likely about as dangerous for a healthy young adult as the good old Nordic influenza anyway), I'm going to riot.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
There has been some babbling lately about whether travel restrictions should be enforced in Europe because of the coronavirus. The Parliament of Finland is gathering for a meeting tomorrow to talk about the virus and all the necessary actions.

My student exchange in Germany starts next month. I've got plane tickets for March 19th and I've rented an apartment with a 6-month contract. If I ever want to have an exchange semester, it's now or never.
If I have to give up my childhood dream of studying a semester abroad, when I'm just weeks away from reaching that dream and when I've got all the preparations set and I'm ready to go, and it's because of a virus (that is more likely about as dangerous for a healthy young adult as the good old Nordic influenza anyway), I'm going to riot.

Tell me about it, sure I'm kinda nervous to a degree, but it won't stop me from flying over to japan next week. Like, for real there have been infections only like a couple 100 km's away. That thing is everywhere anyway, won't stop me from going on a trip for 2 weeks wich I have been planning for like 3 years. Sure I'll be cautious and follow the hygiene rule a bit more closely and all but I won't let it influence or dictate my vacation if possible.
Unless there is a travel ban coming in the next couple days (wich would surprise me to be honest).

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020

Tell me about it, sure I'm kinda nervous to a degree, but it won't stop me from flying over to japan next week. Like, for real there have been infections only like a couple 100 km's away. That thing is everywhere anyway, won't stop me from going on a trip for 2 weeks wich I have been planning for like 3 years. Sure I'll be cautious and follow the hygiene rule a bit more closely and all but I won't let it influence or dictate my vacation if possible.
Unless there is a travel ban coming in the next couple days (wich would surprise me to be honest).
It's fine to travel, but just keep aware of your surroundings. And be aware of where you travel to. Obviously avoid China, because that's the origin of the coronavirus for the reasons I explained here. Japan is kind-of a neighbor to China, so I would still be aware. Be nervous, but not overreactive.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
man looking at the news, I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even let me leave the country...

Some universities in Finland (including the one I'm in) have announced restrictions for outgoing exchange students, who have been granted an admission into Asian universities. China is banned, obviously, and the Chinese exchange programs have been cancelled in full. Of course the universities can't forbid their students from going abroad, but the exchange agreements between those countries are no longer valid, and no credits will be awarded for studying in China this spring.

Well, I'm not going to Asia anyway, but it's not looking good in Europe either. France has already forbid all public events for over 5 000 people, and the Louvre has closed its doors due to coronavirus. As for the smaller countries, the Harbor of Tallinn (Estonia) has enforced temperature checks at the border, and it affects mostly Finnish people coming from Helsinki anyway.

My departure should be in two and a half weeks, but I'm starting to get gloomy with it. I've noticed that occasionally, in my head, I'm rescheduling my study courses during this spring - in Finland. So apparently I'm sort of preparing myself for giving up the dream of studying abroad.

F...ck. Really, what are the odds for this? :facepalm:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
So, they decided to cancel the international study information fair at the German university where I've been granted exchange admission. Because of the f'cking coronavirus.

Practically I'm now waiting for them to call me and confirm that I'm not going to study abroad at all this semester. Which doesn't only mean that I have to give up the dream I was so close to reach, but also that I'm gonna end up in financial difficulties as I haven't applied for a summer job, because I thought that I'd be in Germany until August and therefore I don't have to apply for a job.

Also, because I thought I'd be studying in Germany, I've missed the enrolment for the rest of the courses at my own university during this spring, and if the student exchange will be cancelled, it's just gonna slow down my graduation by 6 months.

F'ck this, I'm going to spend my money for lottery, because winning a couple of millions in Eurojackpot is about as probable as a f'ckin chinese bat flu messing up with Europe.

:poop:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Yeah, I'm waiting for airports to close and/or refuse me entry into Hungary because of coming from an infected country via another infected country (Germany).

Wonder if this sort of hysteria was prevalent when regular flu first arrived on the planet? I don't remember people being this panicky about Swine flu or Bird flu a few years ago...

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah, I'm waiting for airports to close and/or refuse me entry into Hungary because of coming from an infected country via another infected country (Germany).

Wonder if this sort of hysteria was prevalent when regular flu first arrived on the planet? I don't remember people being this panicky about Swine flu or Bird flu a few years ago...
The Coronavirus already killed 14 people in U.S. so far. Infected around 225 people in U.S. so far. Worldwide it's 3,300 deaths, with the majority being from China. There are 100,000 cases known. The hysteria is real, but the virus is real, too.

The way I see it, most countries are concerned about the virus. GDC was postponed 'till Summer because many major companies pulled out.

And people in or from China are deliberately trying to spread the virus for China's leadership, I've seen videos already where someone was coughing, and wiping the elevator walls. At that point, my first thought is "I knew it, China deployed this virus to act as a biological weapon."

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Arguments are a waste of time and can cause unnecessary stress.

But when you actually win and the other side shuts the f*** up, I can't deny that the endorphins I got from all that feels really good.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ

I sincerely hope that you'll get across the border. As for me, it was a false alarm: I got an e-mail from the university, and they're not gonna cancel anything.

@Carlos and others, I know it's bad and I know the state officials are worried about this. Just that I don't see much of a point in travel restrictions, at least if they concern countries that 1. already have coronavirus cases 2. have not been declared as the 'high-risk countries' (such as China and Northern Italy). For me, I think it makes very little difference whether I'm in Germany or in Finland this spring, because there are cases in both countries anyway and there are decent health care systems everywhere.
Besides, it's not like I'd start licking the buttons in the public transport vehicles anyway, regardless of the country I'm in.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I sincerely hope that you'll get across the border. As for me, it was a false alarm: I got an e-mail from the university, and they're not gonna cancel anything.
Good! :) Just remember what I said. Enjoy your travel(s).
@Carlos and others, I know it's bad and I know the state officials are worried about this. Just that I don't see much of a point in travel restrictions, at least if they concern countries that 1. already have coronavirus cases 2. have not been declared as the 'high-risk countries' (such as China and Northern Italy). For me, I think it makes very little difference whether I'm in Germany or in Finland this spring, because there are cases in both countries anyway and there are decent health care systems everywhere.
Besides, it's not like I'd start licking the buttons in the public transport vehicles anyway, regardless of the country I'm in.
Germany, Finland, Italy, and everyone on the eastern part of the world is more vulnerable to Coronavirus than U.S. Honestly. Because China is neighbor to Russia, Europe (that means Italy, Germany, etc.), and it's also smack dab next to the Middle East, which is also said to have some cases of Coronavirus.

So, don't go thinking you're safe. You are at just as much - the same - risk as China's citizens.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Germany, Finland, Italy, and everyone on the eastern part of the world is more vulnerable to Coronavirus than U.S. Honestly. Because China is neighbor to Russia, Europe (that means Italy, Germany, etc.), and it's also smack dab next to the Middle East, which is also said to have some cases of Coronavirus.

So, don't go thinking you're safe. You are at just as much - the same - risk as China's citizens.

The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) has assessed China, Iran, South Korea and Italy as "high-risk countries", and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland recommends to avoid traveling to those countries. In Finland we've had (only) 15 confirmed cases, thus the government is pretty much telling everyone to calm down and wash their hands, "everything is all right".
Assessing the risks of a coronavirus infection, Finland (or Germany) isn't listed among those risky areas, provided that you'd ask an European citizen.

I'm not trying to say that you'd be wrong with this, just that it's a matter of (national) perspective, at least when it comes to the public advice of the state officials. It's interesting to hear about the U.S. point of view as well, and that's why I pointed out these differences. :smile:
(In regard to this, as a fun fact: it was also interesting to see that you're referring to Finland with "eastern part of the world". If you asked a Finnish citizen about which side of the world they think they are, they'd say "we're the western people". For us, the borders of the eastern part of the world go pretty much along the state borders between Finland and Russia :laugh:)

Thanks for the advice! I'll be careful, and I understand your point. However, I don't think that the risks would be related to the coronavirus itself, because it's spreading all over the world anyway and getting the infection is just about odds and bad luck. I think the risks are rather related to the lack of proper health care systems in some countries. If I get sick in Germany, I don't think it would be as bad as getting sick in, say, Zimbabwe (no offense, I'm speaking merely by stereotypes).

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) has assessed China, Iran, South Korea and Italy as "high-risk countries", and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland recommends to avoid traveling to those countries. In Finland we've had (only) 15 confirmed cases, thus the government is pretty much telling everyone to calm down and wash their hands, "everything is all right".
Assessing the risks of a coronavirus infection, Finland (or Germany) isn't listed among those risky areas, provided that you'd ask an European citizen.
Good to hear officials over there trying to stay calm and not succumbing to the hysteria. Very good to hear. :)
I'm not trying to say that you'd be wrong with this, just that it's a matter of (national) perspective, at least when it comes to the public advice of the state officials. It's interesting to hear about the U.S. point of view as well, and that's why I pointed out these differences. :smile:
Yup, no problem. :D
(In regard to this, as a fun fact: it was also interesting to see that you're referring to Finland with "eastern part of the world". If you asked a Finnish citizen about which side of the world they think they are, they'd say "we're the western people". For us, the borders of the eastern part of the world go pretty much along the state borders between Finland and Russia :laugh:)
Ah, I see... I thought they're like... up there.. next to Russia.
Thanks for the advice! I'll be careful, and I understand your point. However, I don't think that the risks would be related to the coronavirus itself, because it's spreading all over the world anyway and getting the infection is just about odds and bad luck. I think the risks are rather related to the lack of proper health care systems in some countries. If I get sick in Germany, I don't think it would be as bad as getting sick in, say, Zimbabwe (no offense, I'm speaking merely by stereotypes).
This strain ain't a joke. If I were you, I would still be weary, not overreacting, just weary. Because if you catch it, you are at risk of two things: Being sick, or die. It depends on how the virus affects you - the person. Even if the virus is spread to a person - it's still dangerous. That's why countries are trying to be careful and concerned. Because it can go either way.

Oh, and don't think of this as luck or odds. Viruses that spread has a higher odd of reaching you if you are oblivious. I was just reading this article this morning... and it's both right and wrong: https://slate.com/technology/2020/0...tion-prevention.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Right: We're not being observant of our environment.
Wrong: Virus was an accident. No it wasn't. It's China's biological weapon.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Mega Man Zero gave me renewed hatred for "contact damage" (for no reason) and being only able to shoot left or right (any other directions requires a "special weapon").

The stupid thing is how some "retro-style" developers will always have some unwritten law that these traits must be preserved whenever they make a side-scrolling game.

Can't people "modernize" side-scrolling game?
Put away the damn "contact damage", "limited lives" and "shoot left/right only" nonsense?
This is why I'm hesitant to get Mega Man 11.
I did grew up through all that but I'm not getting any younger to brave all this "Nintendo Hard" crap.

God bless the "checkpoint" system they added in Mega Man Zero.
I can never imagine completing the game without it.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Mega Man Zero gave me renewed hatred for "contact damage" (for no reason) and being only able to shoot left or right (any other directions requires a "special weapon").

The stupid thing is how some "retro-style" developers will always have some unwritten law that these traits must be preserved whenever they make a side-scrolling game.

Can't people "modernize" side-scrolling game?
Put away the damn "contact damage", "limited lives" and "shoot left/right only" nonsense?
This is why I'm hesitant to get Mega Man 11.
I did grew up through all that but I'm not getting any younger to brave all this "Nintendo Hard" crap.

God bless the "checkpoint" system they added in Mega Man Zero.
I can never imagine completing the game without it.
I cannot wait for March 11, it's the day I get PSN funds to buy that collection! :smile:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Transparency and accountability are not dirty words. Neither is responsibility.

You ain't gonna die from trying them out - in fact, you might just find that things improve because nothing brought into the light can have a hold.

Pride might be dented but considering it's what's holding you back lately, that can only be a good thing.

But what do I know? Just keep your secrets that aren't really secrets and don't complain when they inevitably become common knowledge and the fallout is greater than it would have been had you been honest from the start...

Top Bottom