• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Ugh. And now Storm Ciara is about to utterly destroy my weekend plans.

Stupid weather.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I wonder if people realise just how hurtful saying "compassion and sympathy are meaningless if you don't have empathy for others" is to someone who fluctuates wildly between being a low and high empathy autistic...like no, I can't put myself in your shoes, but I can acknowledge your point of view and that we have differing povs and I can still care about your position. Isn't that better than having the ability to put myself in your shoes and completely refusing to use it? Ffs...
Not to get on your nerves, but how I perceive this is.. Ok, so you disagree with his/her POV, but having some empathy means you... feel for the person's plight or something. You don't feel it, you come off as insensitive. Just sayin'.
****ing thought police, hive-mind bullshit everywhere.
Indeed. I see it all the time on Reddit. People see an Awesome fury kill (4 kills in rapid succession) people still **** on it... others follows suit. Like, people think it's fun to be hateful.
"Resident Evil 4 is a good game but not a good Resident Evil game"
- Number 1 most idiotic phrase on the internet.
God, I love RE4. It's literally the best RE game next to RE2 Remake.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Not to get on your nerves, but how I perceive this is.. Ok, so you disagree with his/her POV, but having some empathy means you... feel for the person's plight or something. You don't feel it, you come off as insensitive. Just sayin'.

:unsure: …I genuinely fail to see how me sitting up all night with a friend who's suffering, talking through what's bothering them and doing what I can to soothe them, or me speaking up for someone who's being treated like s*** is somehow less because I don't feel exactly what the other person is feeling. I don't need to feel someone else's emotions to understand that certain behaviours are socially/morally/ethically/personally wrong or to understand that something could be hurtful in certain circumstances. Kindness is a choice, regardless of your levels of empathy; you don't have to feel what others feel to want them to be happy or to care about them. :/

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
:unsure: …I genuinely fail to see how me sitting up all night with a friend who's suffering, talking through what's bothering them and doing what I can to soothe them, or me speaking up for someone who's being treated like s*** is somehow less because I don't feel exactly what the other person is feeling. I don't need to feel someone else's emotions to understand that certain behaviours are socially/morally/ethically/personally wrong or to understand that something could be hurtful in certain circumstances. Kindness is a choice, regardless of your levels of empathy; you don't have to feel what others feel to want them to be happy or to care about them. :/
But, the thing is, that person is probably going to feel worse than your soothing. Let me put it this way: I used to be popular in middle school. All my friends know each other. So, a friend of mine hears all sorts of stories. If a friend talks badly about me, he'll defend me or stop talking to that person. So, if that person badmouthed behind my back... he loses his friendship. So, people around him know better than to badmouth someone.

So, the moral of the story is: You attempt to soothe your friend, but proceed to badmouth one of his, then he may feel worse. You're trying to make him feel better about himself, and his choice(s), so when you say something bad about someone he might've respected, liked, or whatever... you come off a lil insensitive.

That's all I was saying. Don't interject your commentary too much or that soothing has the opposite intention. Unless you both agree that person is "x." (Piece of crap, loser, etc. That kind of thought.)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Dude... The point of this thread is for people to be able to come here and vent their frustrations without judgment. Maybe don't project your experiences onto someone else's, especially when you don't know theirs and it involves things outside of their control? Just saying. :/

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Dude... The point of this thread is for people to be able to come here and vent their frustrations without judgment. Maybe don't project your experiences onto someone else's, especially when you don't know theirs and it involves things outside of their control? Just saying. :/
Quite the opposite. I'm not judging him. I'm actually, genuinely trying to help him navigate his situation. I'm friendly, so no judgement here.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I can't believe people still tout the Kinsey scale as being reliable... I also don't see the point in relying on any such test in the first place. Self-examination can tell you a lot more about yourself than some generalized, outdated test can.

berto

I Saw the Devil
When I was somewhat younger my family forgot my birthday 3 years in a row. My mother, since, has made a point of always acting like it never happened. Whenever my birthday comes about she talks to people about it as though I were lying. She was on the phone with her sisters yesterday trying to peddle the same tone. I told her that she did, in fact, forget, and not act like it never happened and she turns to me and says very loudly 'what do you want!? You want me to get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness!?' What? So you want me to either let you go on lying about it, even to yourself, or you're going threw a false fit of Christian guilt? Well, nice try, love, but I was raised in a house full of women. Mexican women. You're dramatics just propel my response. So, no, I don't want you to beg for forgiveness on knees, I want you to admit you did it, simple as that, because we all know what would happen if any of us forgot yours. Save your martyr act for your acquaintances and your sisters. Between you and your sisters using your Mexican woman guilt trips have worned out their efficiency over the years and I'm not above calling you on it.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
When I was somewhat younger my family forgot my birthday 3 years in a row. My mother, since, has made a point of always acting like it never happened. Whenever my birthday comes about she talks to people about it as though I were lying. She was on the phone with her sisters yesterday trying to peddle the same tone. I told her that she did, in fact, forget, and not act like it never happened and she turns to me and says very loudly 'what do you want!? You want me to get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness!?' What? So you want me to either let you go on lying about it, even to yourself, or you're going threw a false fit of Christian guilt? Well, nice try, love, but I was raised in a house full of women. Mexican women. You're dramatics just propel my response. So, no, I don't want you to beg for forgiveness on knees, I want you to admit you did it, simple as that, because we all know what would happen if any of us forgot yours. Save your martyr act for your acquaintances and your sisters. Between you and your sisters using your Mexican woman guilt trips have worned out their efficiency over the years and I'm not above calling you on it.
I hear you on your plight.

I've had similar situations happen in my family. Not the birthday part, but the deceit crap.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
My mother (yup, the narsissistic, violent and alcoholic relative of mine) called me when I was standing at the campus café queue. By accident, it slipped from my mouth that my husband and I are moving and going to Prague too.
So, when talking about money, she asked whether my grandmother's legacy (the one she was disinherited from) has been shared already. I spent a couple of seconds to craft a diplomatic and polite sentence, where I told her that "as you know, I'm not the only one who has a share in that legacy and therefore I can't say anything, because it's not only my business and, you know, I don't like to gossip about the other heirs and their financial situations. So nope, unfortunately I can't tell you that."

She got mad and started to rant about how her own relatives are hiding things from her and crafting conspiracies just for her. Well, I hung up the phone, rolled my eyes and ordered a coffee. It's not a big deal, I've learned that I don't have to care.

My mother is, once again, clinging with years old disputes, accusing others with imaginatory offences, gaslighting and telling everyone how she's been hurt when the fact is that no one actually cares about her anymore. Everyone's fed up with her.
You know, my mother's one of those type of people who are waging a war against everyone inside their heads and creating all kinds of problems and drama where they don't even exist. She thinks everyone's talking about her behind her back, when in fact no one cares. Except for her, because she thinks that no one has anything better to do in their life except for making her life as miserable as possible.
For my mother, everyone around her is an a**hole. But never once she stops to think why is it so she is the only one ending up with constant fights with people. Why is it so every drama and fight around her has one thing in common; herself?

And when I thought about all that, I realized that my mother's not the only one I've known at some point of my life, who has this kind of problems. I always thought that my mother's pretty much the only one who's so severely delusional, but I was wrong.
Not that I'd care about the other one as a person (again: I don't have to care), or that I'd know if they were any better nowadays, just that it's so sad to think that my mother's not alone the Absolute Narsissistic Psycho #1 in the world: it has always been a shared title in the history of humanity, and so will it remain to be.

For me, this was an important lesson to learn about human kind. These kind of lessons ease my personal grudge, thus they make also my own life a lot easier. Every day it's easier to let go of things, memories, people and habits that caused me pain and misery, and it feels only natural to say that, most of the time, I regret nothing.
But as I'm thinking about the world around me, it's devastating to know that there's no cure for this kind of people until they, themselves, realize that they need help. And that kind of realization rarely happens.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
My mother (yup, the narsissistic, violent and alcoholic relative of mine) called me when I was standing at the campus café queue. By accident, it slipped from my mouth that my husband and I are moving and going to Prague too.
So, when talking about money, she asked whether my grandmother's legacy (the one she was disinherited from) has been shared already. I spent a couple of seconds to craft a diplomatic and polite sentence, where I told her that "as you know, I'm not the only one who has a share in that legacy and therefore I can't say anything, because it's not only my business and, you know, I don't like to gossip about the other heirs and their financial situations. So nope, unfortunately I can't tell you that."

She got mad and started to rant about how her own relatives are hiding things from her and crafting conspiracies just for her. Well, I hung up the phone, rolled my eyes and ordered a coffee. It's not a big deal, I've learned that I don't have to care.

My mother is, once again, clinging with years old disputes, accusing others with imaginatory offences, gaslighting and telling everyone how she's been hurt when the fact is that no one actually cares about her anymore. Everyone's fed up with her.
You know, my mother's one of those type of people who are waging a war against everyone inside their heads and creating all kinds of problems and drama where they don't even exist. She thinks everyone's talking about her behind her back, when in fact no one cares. Except for her, because she thinks that no one has anything better to do in their life except for making her life as miserable as possible.
For my mother, everyone around her is an a**hole. But never once she stops to think why is it so she is the only one ending up with constant fights with people. Why is it so every drama and fight around her has one thing in common; herself?

And when I thought about all that, I realized that my mother's not the only one I've known at some point of my life, who has this kind of problems. I always thought that my mother's pretty much the only one who's so severely delusional, but I was wrong.
Not that I'd care about the other one as a person (again: I don't have to care), or that I'd know if they were any better nowadays, just that it's so sad to think that my mother's not alone the Absolute Narsissistic Psycho #1 in the world: it has always been a shared title in the history of humanity, and so will it remain to be.

For me, this was an important lesson to learn about human kind. These kind of lessons ease my personal grudge, thus they make also my own life a lot easier. Every day it's easier to let go of things, memories, people and habits that caused me pain and misery, and it feels only natural to say that, most of the time, I regret nothing.
But as I'm thinking about the world around me, it's devastating to know that there's no cure for this kind of people until they, themselves, realize that they need help. And that kind of realization rarely happens.

Not actually a rant, but... This is still ongoing. My mother called me, started to ask about the legacy and I told her that "Like I told you yesterday, I will not discuss further about this, and if there was no other reason for you to call me I will hung up this call immediately".
She yelled "YOU BASTARD, I RENOUNCE YOU, I HAVE NO DAUGHTER!!".
I answered "Thank you, because for the last 15 years of my life I have been wishing that I had no mother, so it's kind of a dream come true for me". And it wasn't even a lie.

:laugh:

I blacklisted her phone number. I'll try again next month, if she calms down. It's no use to talk to her when she's like that.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I'm WAY more annoyed by the people panicking about the Coronavirus than I'm afraid of catching the damn virus myself.

I've got fever and lung issues and my aunt is now panicking and telling me to get to the emergency hospital as soon as possible because yup, it's definitely coronavirus. :facepalm:

I'm annoyed enough by the fact that this is the f*ckin THIRD TIME when I have to skip THE SAME F*CKING EXAM because I am ill. I'm not kidding. Last time I had bronchitis and before that I had tonsillitis, so it seems that there's some kind of a curse between me and Family Law grade.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'm WAY more annoyed by the people panicking about the Coronavirus than I'm afraid of catching the damn virus myself.
Well I am kinda worried about the whole thing, mainly because I'm going to go to Tokyo in a week, but so far there is no travel warning so I can only trust in my own judgement on that. That aside thas virus is pretty much everywhere already so chances are one could catch it anyway.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
My patience is running low. If I hear anyone else pestering me about infection countermeasures I will dunk his head into a toilet.
Quit ****ing panicking and acting like the goddamn plague is back, the mortality rate of this cursed virus is absolutely laughable and you're WAY more likely to die in a car accident or struck by lightning as you're dancing the salsa in the Sahara desert, for God's sake.

It's getting ridiculous, ****ing quarantine zones looking like straight out of The Walking Dead, with malls struggling to provide everyone in them with food and water for a virus whose lethality is this incredibly low, **** outta here. And get off of my ass, I'm not gonna wear a ****ing mask or scrub my hands with sanitizers every time I touch something that's not my pockets, I'm not gonna treat people like lepers and keep them away from me (unless I know for a fact they're infected, like ok the virus is not lethal in almost the totality of the cases but doesn't mean I wanna go look for contagion), I'm not gonna stay at home all day, I'm not gonna isolate myself from my friends. I'm not gonna live my life in fear, stop trying to scare me, this virus is seriously not that dangerous and doesn't warrant all these overzealous precautions.
Quit being such p#ssies and quit being so naive and falling for the panic the media are trying to spread for views and clicks.

On a side note, awfully quiet from the antivax people lately...

berto

I Saw the Devil
This is nothing new. Those ratings and horror stories that scare people into not leaving their house or to make them afraid of outside countries. It's a real threat, no question, but it's also not what they are advertising. They've done it before and they'll do it again. Yes, be careful, but don't be afraid.

My mother...
I understand. Not my mother. She's a bit over virtuous and loves to compare herself to others to show them how she's in god's favor while everyone else, not so much, which is not the worst thing in the world. Family, though. I understand how family is. If they weren't related to you, if you didn't love them, it'd be so much easier. Cut ties, leave them where they are to lay in the bed they made, force the consequences of their actions to have a permanently lasting effect, not having to put up with them for the sake of everyone else in the family, not having to forgive them for their sake. A friend does you dirty like that you can toss them aside. Not family. Family is f'ed.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
My patience is running low. If I hear anyone else pestering me about infection countermeasures I will dunk his head into a toilet.
Quit ****ing panicking and acting like the goddamn plague is back, the mortality rate of this cursed virus is absolutely laughable and you're WAY more likely to die in a car accident or struck by lightning as you're dancing the salsa in the Sahara desert, for God's sake.

It's getting ridiculous, ****ing quarantine zones looking like straight out of The Walking Dead, with malls struggling to provide everyone in them with food and water for a virus whose lethality is this incredibly low, **** outta here. And get off of my ass, I'm not gonna wear a ****ing mask or scrub my hands with sanitizers every time I touch something that's not my pockets, I'm not gonna treat people like lepers and keep them away from me (unless I know for a fact they're infected, like ok the virus is not lethal in almost the totality of the cases but doesn't mean I wanna go look for contagion), I'm not gonna stay at home all day, I'm not gonna isolate myself from my friends. I'm not gonna live my life in fear, stop trying to scare me, this virus is seriously not that dangerous and doesn't warrant all these overzealous precautions.
Quit being such p#ssies and quit being so naive and falling for the panic the media are trying to spread for views and clicks.

On a side note, awfully quiet from the antivax people lately...
Okay, yes, the hysteria is overreactive, but you have to understand that this is CHINA. They deployed this coronavirus for a reason. Hong Kong's people had a protest against the Chinese government over Fugitive Offenders. They are trying to kill their own people, and maybe even spread it out into the open. Here's a video you should watch yourself...

I implore you to watch that, do not sleep on it. This has been going on for a while now. Coronavirus is just an escalation of what's been going on for 3 years now. Fu^&. I almost wanted to travel to China at one point, but this sh!^ is disgusting. But, hey, what do you expect from a communist country, anyway? Honesty? Throw honesty out of the window when you refer to China's government. I'm serious, throw it out. Here's another video you should watch (it's longer, but important.)

Especially towards the middle. [1:00:03] They talk about killing people with a machine that sucks everything out of your body until you cease to exist. They'll take your body, and sell it for profit. Sh!^'s nasty, bro.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been watching a lot of videos like this lately.

For me it's Star Trek. I liked Dr. Who and I enjoy Star Wars but I love Star Trek. A lot of the people who talk about it pinpoint the newer movies as the origin of a lot of the issues that have arisen. Personally, I enjoy the Kelvin/Abrams movies so I have no issues with them. Shallow by contrast but not mean spirited. No, my issue is with the two television shows that released in the last few years. Discovery and Picard.

(This is probably going to be less of an angry rant more of a venting situation, looking at what I've written)

At first I waited for the show to end, Discovery. I saw a lot of reviews complaining about how the show had become dumb and how it's lead was a blaten Mary Sue i(ironic considering the origins of the architype) and the writing was no better. I caught a free preview for episode one and left it alone for a while since I wasn't going to pay for it but I did not think any of the things that were being said about the show were as bad as everyone was claiming. Those things were there but they were nothing anywhere near as bad or intrusive as they said.

Well, I forgot the show existed and I didn't get to watching it again until season 2 came out on BluRay. I benched season one and then season 2. When I finished the first season I saw so much more of the thing people were complaining about. I still didn't think it was as bad as they said but I certainly couldn't deny that it was there and that it wasn't as passive as I said it was. The show was darker, bleak, Burnham is not not a Mary Sue (yes, that's a double negative) and the show felt like millennial Trek. I finished season 2 and by the last episode I disliked the show a little bit more with every episode I saw. Without realizing it I was rolling my eyes more and more, then literally face palming, which is when I realized I was doing it, I put my palm to my face and paused at the realization that I was doing the actual motion without realizing it. Before I knew it I actually hated it.

There are so many things wrong with this show but more significant and pivotal than anything else it's that the show does not feel like Star Trek. Even if it follows the aesthetics of the movies, which I like, but that's not, at all, what I'm talking about. The characters, the themes, the ideals and philosophies, it's outlook on life, people, the universe and what they future will be like. In a way I was rather angry at myself for not seeing till the very end what it took others less than one episode to see. The show is infantile, pandering, pointlessly, for lack of a better term, mean spirited and at times childishly crass. I picked a random episode of TNG I'd never seen as an English speaker they were discussing the future of a planet and whether they have the right or obligation to save it and it's people, a heated but balanced debate. Here someone actually says 'sugar is awesome' and it wasn't a child, they just act the part.

That's not the worst of it, though, the immaturity, it's the nihilism that borders on misanthropy. At first I thought that the people making this show liked Star Trek but I got the impression that they thought the series was naive, that this is how it's going to be, not some triumph of the human spirit where we will all be a better people. No. It's going to be bleak and war and death and it all sucks. It's breaking bad and game of thrones in space. I swear, if Pike hadn't shown up I probably would've not gotten through the second season. Now, after watching the last episode of Picard, I don't think that these people just find Star Trek naive, I think they recent it, it's ideals and the things that Gene Roddenberry envisioned for the future.

A similar situation is happening with Doctor Who. It's not the same but it feels like a bastardization, an appropriation, of the series where the people who are running it either don't understand it or, if they do, they don't want to continue to follow the path the series had. I don't get the same feeling of animosity for the source material from new Who but I also don't see any of what made me want to watch any of those earlier interpretations here nor any interest in adding what made them them to it.

It's probably pretty bad for the Star Wars, too, lot but I was never that invested in it so I can only assume how they feel. Still, ST is the one that I'm invested in and in a short term explanation I think this video is the best way to show what I feel might be the contrasting approaches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom