• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The History of Ivory & Ebony

Valcorn

He didn't have them in DMC1, that's it... it appears like she was in possession of L&O before they met "_"

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
heard dante had those guns made...not customize any of his previous weapons....yup! ill stick to this explanation!

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's possible but would then create another question. How would she get L&O before she met Dante?
She didn't have L&O before she met Dante. She didn't even get a pair of guns till DMC2.

The thing is if Dante had one paired customized it's not really that odd for him to have someone make a pair that look like the old ones. It's not even hard if it's been done before, if Redgrave can do an extensive modification job on one pair he most certainly can do a cosmetic one on another since L&O are nothing more then 'pimped' M1911s.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Wrong, Trish has Luce&Ombra in DMC1...
When? I just beat the game again a few weeks ago and I didn't see her carring a weapon untill the very end and that was Sparda and no guns.

Edit: Oh, and you do realise that promotional art doesn't count. Even if it did my point is that she didn't have them before she met Dante.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
When? I just beat the game again a few weeks ago and I didn't see her carring a weapon untill the very end and that was Sparda and no guns.

Edit: Oh, and you do realise that promotional art doesn't count. Even if it did my point is that she didn't have them before she met Dante.
We don't know when she got them. The important thing is that she has L&O now and it is unreasonable to keep trying to claim that they are something else with the same name without any evidence. L&O are L&O, E&I are E&I and the subject of this thread is not canon.

berto

I Saw the Devil
We don't know when she got them. The important thing is that she has L&O now and it is unreasonable to keep trying to claim that they are something else with the same name without any evidence. L&O are L&O, E&I are E&I and the subject of this thread is not canon.
And nether are the novels, meaning that that woman didn't make them and Dante didn't spend time going by the name Tony Redgrave as a mersenary. Even the anime isn't canon since all it'd take would be another game to contradict it and there goes that.

Even if it isn't canon it is something that was writen for DMC by the people that created it and even if sequels contradict it it has meaning to this franchise. Are you telling to keep it to myself and not bother posting it or things of this nature next time?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
And nether are the novels, meaning that that woman didn't make them and Dante didn't spend time going by the name Tony Redgrave as a mersenary. Even the anime isn't canon since all it'd take would be another game to contradict it and there goes that.

Even if it isn't canon it is something that was writen for DMC by the people that created it and even if sequels contradict it it has meaning to this franchise. Are you telling to keep it to myself and not bother posting it or things of this nature next time?
1.Non canon content is still interesting and worth mentioning, however you can't use it as evidence for anything.
2. The anime does not currently contradict the games and it has not been said to be non canon by Capcom so it is still canon.

Railazel

2. The anime does not currently contradict the games and it has not been said to be non canon by Capcom so it is still canon.

I'll have to argue against this second case. Just because it isn't said to be non canon doesn't mean that it isn't. Dante's personality in the anime is different than in DMC 1 and Rebellion's existence in the anime also contradicts its lack of existence in the first game (so does DMC 2 and onward but those were forcibly placed in canon by the devs). Since the devs of DMC aren't saying anything about its being canon or not, it can be said that it is non- canon.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I'll have to argue against this second case. Just because it isn't said to be non canon doesn't mean that it isn't. Dante's personality in the anime is different than in DMC 1 and Rebellion's existence in the anime also contradicts its lack of existence in the first game (so does DMC 2 and onward but those were forcibly placed in canon by the devs). Since the devs of DMC aren't saying anything about its being canon or not, it can be said that it is non- canon.
Any one can say it is non-canon but only Capcom can make that statement accurate, Dante's personality is different in everything he appears in, and Dante using Rebellion before 3 and after 1 is established canon in the games so that is the exact opposite of a contradiction. There are no actual contradictions and being canon is the obvious default (it is unreasonable to require Capcom to explicitly state that each piece of official content is canon it is implied by the fact that it is official)

Railazel

Any one can say it is non-canon but only Capcom can make that statement accurate, Dante's personality is different in everything he appears in, and Dante using Rebellion before 3 and after 1 is established canon in the games so that is the exact opposite of a contradiction.

You're right, those aren't contradictions. We call those retcons, but retcons are still contradictions.

There are no actual contradictions and being canon is the obvious default (it is unreasonable to require Capcom to explicitly state that each piece of official content is canon it is implied by the fact that it is official)

But by that logic, Berto's post should be canon despite Luce & Ombra belonging to Trish.

seraphmaycry

no it was confirmed somewhere that trish owned them before she met dante which is illogical as i do not see HOW she could have gotten them also it was confirmed dante made his pistols just like nero made his

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why does everyone think it's so impossible for her to have gotten them in any number of ways? People make guns every day, it's not as though once a gun is created it cannot be replicated and slap a name on them. If she got them before she met Dante then the demon lord had them made for her. Dante/Tony is not the the only gunsmith in creation.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The anime was EXPLICITLY stated by DMC4 director Kobayashi to be canon, and since the anime references the first novel by mentioning outright that Dante once went by the name Tony in his youth, and the strawberry Sundaes, YES, the first novel is canon, Nell Goldstein made Ebony and Ivory, and Dante's modified them since her death. DMC3 never said he made them himself, only that they were homemade. I'd call Nell custom building them from scratched homemade.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
You're right, those aren't contradictions. We call those retcons, but retcons are still contradictions.

But by that logic, Berto's post should be canon despite Luce & Ombra belonging to Trish.
1.in DMC1 it was not said that Dante has never used a sword other than Force Edge so that is not a contradiction or a retcon.
2.If something contradicts canon it is not canon. If something does not contradict canon and has not been made non-canon it is canon.

Top Bottom