• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The History of Ivory & Ebony

berto

I Saw the Devil
I just posted this elsewhere but I thinkit belongs here more than anywhere else:

The History of Ivory & Ebony
After the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda sealed the demons of the underworld into the abyss, he entered the realm of mortals. He fell in love with a beautiful woman, Eva and had two twin sons - Dante and Virgil.

Fearing that the world would someday fall under the shroud of darkness once again, Sparda began to prepare for a future battle in this world against the legions of the underworld. He created two handguns, Luce & Ombra {Lu-chay} Italian for " Light" and Ombra [sometimes spelled Umbra, is Latin for " Shadow"] with which to repel the demons and a fine sword to which he gave the name "Force Edge".

Now in the modern age, a new hunter of demons has arisen to protect humanity from the curse and corruption that is the underworld and it´s inhabitants. His name is Dante and his is a most unenviable task - to rid the world of all demons.

Not in the history of the world, were there ever a finer set of weapons. Not ever. Dante had taken the Force Edge and Luce & Ombra from his Father many years ago. He needed to upgrade his father´s handguns to a level so high, that none could stand before them when they began to cast their judgement on the demons before them. It is this task, that Dante entrusted to his old friend and skilled craftsman, Tony Redgrave. After 2 years of work, the guns were at last, ready to purge the underworld of it´s evil.

One blessed with the divinity of Heaven and the other cursed with the fires of Hell, the balance of these weapons was to be kept in harmony with the balance of good and evil. When one is fired, if the other is shot right after, there will be no pause for reloading - as the balance is kept that the wicked shall suffer the righteous judgement.

Tony then placed upon the handles two images emblazoned onto each: Ivory - with it´s Heavens breach shall bear the visage of Eva, Dante´s mother and the guiding light for righteous judgement and purity. Ebony - with it´s black chamber shall bear the visage of Beatrice, who quells the evil soul within it and allows it to work in tandem with Ivory.

Dante was so pleased with Tony´s work that he had a dedication engraved to him on each of the guns - " For Tony Redgrave - . 45 Art Works"

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
A few years ago someone posted this and said that it was a translation of the matterial that came in the box for replicas of Ebony & Ivory. He or she translated it themselves and posted it on IGN back in the days of DMC3. This is kinda what I remember they said, it was years ago and the post is long since lost. I just found my copy & paste of it recently so I thought I'd share.

The only official replicas I can think of are the Poseidon ones:
http://www.poseidon.co.jp/3F/E&I/ei1.html

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
wait, i thought ''Tony Redgrave'' was Dante's alias o_O and the one who made E & I was a gunsmith named Nell...i know the novel isn't cannon but still, kinda wondering

berto

I Saw the Devil
wait, i thought ''Tony Redgrave'' was Dante's alias :blink: and the one who made E & I was a gunsmith named Nell...i know the novel isn't cannon but still, kinda wondering
From what I understand the novel was it's own thing. The writer intervied Hideki Kamiya to better understand the character of Dante and the novels were not law nor canon but as close as it got since there was nothing else.

Things like this only existed in one place (specific toys, th one art books, the official site and nowhere else) and since DMC1 had so little interms of international merchandizing alot of it was only released in Japan. To make it worse much of it that did make it here was lost to the internet I'm guessing do to lack of interest. We don't have many Japanese speakers in the DMC fanbase so things like the Graphic Edition will never be translated and we'll never know what they say. Maybe this story could be found there or a connection to bridge all of these things, who knows.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That seems logical. I always knew Dante's guns were his fathers, but modified. But then again I'm not sure this canon to the series but if it was, it would make a lot of sense as to why Dante's guns are so special.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
That seems logical. I always knew Dante's guns were his fathers, but modified. But then again I'm not sure this canon to the series but if it was, it would make a lot of sense as to why Dante's guns are so special.
Since Trish uses Luce and Ombra in DMC4 they can't be Ebony and Ivory.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why they can't modify another set of M1911s and call them Luce & Ombra, it's not like the other pair of guns would sue.

Last edited:

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
It's not like they can't midify another set of M1911s, and call them Luce & Ombra, it's not liek the other pair of guns would sue.
Possible but it would be odd to turn L&O into E&I and then build a new L&O identical to the original pair. it would make a lot more sense to leave L&O alone and build E&I as a new pair (an even better idea would be to modify L&O into into E&I and make Trish a unique pair of pistols just for her but that obviously didn't happen) and the history described in this thread contradicts DMC3 (Ebony and Ivory were created before the game Dante didn't get Force Edge until the end of it. This claims that Dante receved L&O and FE and then turned L&O into E&I) and nothing else claims that L&O are E&I.

Trish's L&O are identical to Sparda's L&O and nothing in canon says that they are not the same so the most likely explanation is that they are the same weapons.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Possible but it would be odd to turn L&O into E&I and then build a new L&O identical to the original pair. it would make a lot more sense to leave L&O alone and build E&I as a new pair (an even better idea would be to modify L&O into into E&I and make Trish a unique pair of pistols just for her but that obviously didn't happen) and the history described in this thread contradicts DMC3 (Ebony and Ivory were created before the game Dante didn't get Force Edge until the end of it. This claims that Dante receved L&O and FE and then turned L&O into E&I) and nothing else claims that L&O are E&I.

Trish's L&O are identical to Sparda's L&O and nothing in canon says that they are not the same so the most likely explanation is that they are the same weapons.
DMC isn't famouse for it's consistancy.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DMC isn't famouse for it's consistancy.
True, but that doesn't disprove what i've said nor does it qualify as evidence of unlikely theories. Trish uses L&O after DMC1. That is consistent and has not been contradicted by anything in canon. Inconstancy in other aspects of the story does not affect it.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The question is from where did she get L&O?
That is a good question. Dante seems to be the one most likely to give them to her but if he had L&O it wouldn't make sense to make E&I when additional modifications to L&O would have taken less effort to get the same results. I doubt capcom is going to bother explainig minor details like this so all we can do is guess.

Top Bottom