• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Fine Line of Change

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
*sigh* Man....I sure miss the days when people played games for fun.

I don't.

shtep ur game up! unlz u no how 2 jc and use l33t skilz, ur nuthin but a n00b who luvs EZ casual cr4p like d0nte and dMc!111!1!!!

It takes about 2500 hours to become fluent in Japanese (reportedly). Imagine if you had spent all that time learning the language that could actually help you at least visit this fascinating country where all these games come from.

It won't help you financially, of course, but you'll at least understand the culture on a deeper level.

I say "financially" because the job market in Japan is supposedly worse than the U.S., and you have to (apparently) know some technical skill (along with the language) in order to be able to work there.

This is just what I've heard. "Crush" knows about these things better than I do, so it would be better to ask him for any information regarding this issue.

(but if you just want to boost your resume with this skill, that helps too)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It won't help you financially, of course, but you'll at least understand the culture on a deeper level.
Failing that have a native Japanese as a teacher. It's a lot easier then to ask questions and to understand the culture.

It takes about 2500 hours to become fluent in Japanese (reportedly). Imagine if you had spent all that time learning the language that could actually help you at least visit this fascinating country where all these games come from.
As for gaining fluency, for me, I don't think it could be done by lessons alone. You'd have to go to the country and be immersed in the language and culture. Lessons can only teach you so much, and the reality is very different to sitting in a classroom. Besides, what about learning regional dialects? That's part of fluency too, and learning those would add to the time.

Also, where did you get the 2500 hour figure from? Is it an average time? I'd say it would depend on the person, their natural aptitude for learning languages, the teacher and their dedication.

I say "financially" because the job market is supposedly worse than the U.S., and you have to (apparently) know some technical skill (along with the language) in order to be able to work there.
If you're a foreigner wanting to work there, like any country taking in immigrants, you have to have a skill that the country will find useful such as knowledge of dealing with foreign companies, teaching a language, lecturers...that sort of thing. It's the same as any country accepting foreigners to work. Japan isn't that special in that regard.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
or..."You just Jump cancelled. Was it a fluke?"

"You JCed again, still don't believe it wasn't a fluke!"

"Third JC? You've learned it"

"5 JC? The student have become the master"
JCing isn't difficult. Having to consistently JC in rapid sucession is difficult, generally speaking.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I remember those days. 1995, nobody used forums, we played whatever games we pleased and just had fun. Good times.

Okay I was only 6 in 1995, but it was a ******* epic time. :lol:
Just because you were 6 doesn't mean you can't have an epic time. I was rocking out on my SNES, Gameboy and Gamegear^_^
And back then, extra content was ulocked by finishing levels or using codes, none of this DLC. I sound like one of those people saying 'back in my day...we didn't have anything'. :lol:

EllDawn

Just because you were 6 doesn't mean you can't have an epic time. I was rocking out on my SNES, Gameboy and Gamegear^_^
And back then, extra content was ulocked by finishing levels or using codes, none of this DLC. I sound like one of those people saying 'back in my day...we didn't have anything'. :lol:
I miss those days. Then playing video games had more for you to work toward. You didn't pay to get the best features.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I agree with you, it's like i said to Chancey: the combo ranking system doesn't affect the gameplay itself, but i can understand people complaining about it (as i can understand people complaining about DMC4 story who looks like a giant plothole in a shape of a game, even if story is not the main purpose of that games existence) because its like a side effect to the casualized gameplay itself. If it where only the combo ranking system by itself who were flawled it would be somewhat retarded to point this out to say that DmC is a bad game compared to its predecessors just because a combo ranking system that not affect the mechanics by itself, even the DMC3 combo ranking system is kinda dumb, but it's by some means more demanding than DmC's one.

But i think that the overall ranking system encouraged the players to understand the deepness of the mechanics by itself, i could go as far to say that people would not even care for the deepness of the combat if they were not put in situations were they needed to explore it to make things run smoothly on high difficult levels. I mean, usually people thinks they've mastered the game once they finished the highest difficult mode, but with DMC (mainly in DMC3 and 4, but at some level in DMC too) it ended taking higher grounds because of the exploration once done looking for the accomplishment of high difficult challenges encouraged by the game like doing an complete SS run on DMD to show your total ranking to your friends, other players or completing the Bloody Palace.
All I said about the scoring was that I never really worried about it because I just liked to play but your response was to label me as a casual player which clearly shows this elitist attitude you have. I still rack up those high scores and I might even be a better player that you. I'm just playing though. If I get that SSS, well ok then.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
All I said about the scoring was that I never really worried about it because I just liked to play but your response was to label me as a casual player which clearly shows this elitist attitude you have. I still rack up those high scores and I might even be a better player that you. I'm just playing though. If I get that SSS, well ok then.

You know it wasn't even hard to get SSS in DMC3. I just used rebellion and used different moves at different times, and I got SSS no problem. I hate it when people say "Oh, DMC3 is SOOO much harder to get an SSS on." yet why can I get it with one weapon and using different attacks with it just like I can with DmC and DMC4?

ChaserTech

JCing isn't difficult. Having to consistently JC in rapid sucession is difficult, generally speaking.

If you're spamming JC, then you're not effectively doing it.

If people are going to be rewarded with trophies for doing a technique, it shouldn't be with the number of times you pull it off. It should be the number of varied moves you are using while JCing. That way the game is teaching you how to JC effectively instead of doing one move over and over.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington

If people are going to be rewarded with trophies for doing a technique, it shouldn't be with the number of times you pull it off. It should be the number of varied moves you are using while JCing.
Well, JCing consistently without screwing up takes skill too but JCing consistently while mixing up your attacks is even more skillfull. Anybody can jump cancel by spamming the jump button and that's what I was getting at with my reply to Incarnated demon.It's not how many times you can JC that matters but how effectively you can utilize it is what counts.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You know it wasn't even hard to get SSS in DMC3. I just used rebellion and used different moves at different times, and I got SSS no problem. I hate it when people say "Oh, DMC3 is SOOO much harder to get an SSS on." yet why can I get it with one weapon and using different attacks with it just like I can with DmC and DMC4?
DMC really isn't that hard. Old school NES games can offer better and harder challenges than that. Difficulty is always subjective though. It depends on the player. Since I've been playing DMC since like day 1 I've just become a natural at it. They act like DMC is for a select few and only they understand it the best. My friend who'd never played a DMC game in his life tried out 3 and was doing just fine.

I'm not really worried though, I just got Injustice and it's oh so awesome.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

I was talking about the overall ranking system, not only the combo ranking system, but as i've said: you seen like having a hard time to understand things, or just pretend that you don't understand to evade answering the statements. And yes, i'm an elitist, just people who are actually good at pressing buttons on a videogame controller can hang with me in the break time at school.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC really isn't that hard. Old school NES games can offer better and harder challenges than that. Difficulty is always subjective though. It depends on the player. Since I've been playing DMC since like day 1 I've just become a natural at it. They act like DMC is for a select few and only they understand it the best. My friend who'd never played a DMC game in his life tried out 3 and was doing just fine.

I'm not really worried though, I just got Injustice and it's oh so awesome.

Yeah, I mean DMC3 has actually become easier for me recently. But that's because I've played harder games, and compared to those, DMC3 is a bit of a let down in difficulty now.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I was talking about the overall ranking system, not only the combo ranking system, but as i've said: you seen like having a hard time to understand things, or just pretend that you don't understand to evade answering the statements. And yes, i'm an elitist, just people who are actually good at pressing buttons on a videogame controller can hang with me in the break time at school.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

IncarnatedDemon

If people are going to be rewarded with trophies for doing a technique, it shouldn't be with the number of times you pull it off. It should be the number of varied moves you are using while JCing. That way the game is teaching you how to JC effectively instead of doing one move over and over.
Learning to do JC alone is a achievement.

But once you've learned it the hard achievements should come which is what you described.

crush

I don't.

shtep ur game up! unlz u no how 2 jc and use l33t skilz, ur nuthin but a n00b who luvs EZ casual cr4p like d0nte and dMc!111!1!!!

I say "financially" because the job market in Japan is supposedly worse than the U.S., and you have to (apparently) know some technical skill (along with the language) in order to be able to work there.
This is just what I've heard. "Crush" knows about these things better than I do, so it would be better to ask him for any information regarding this issue.
(but if you just want to boost your resume with this skill, that helps too)

To tell you the truth. I've failed this years job hunting and am planning to take a masters degree in history at jolly auld England...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I remember those days. 1995, nobody used forums, we played whatever games we pleased and just had fun. Good times.

Okay I was only 6 in 1995, but it was a ******* epic time. :lol:
And I was...*counts on fingers*... 13. Good grief I'm old :(

And yes, i'm an elitist, just people who are actually good at pressing buttons on a videogame controller can hang with me in the break time at school.
You mean...we can't be friends? DAMN YOU SAUSAGE FINGERS OF INEPTITUDE!

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You actually need to develop a callus on your right thumb if you want to JC on the default control scheme.

I changed it so that the jump button was L2. I also switched "melee" to square.

Kinda like this vid:

Terrutas

I play DMC4 with default controls.

No calluses here, I can Star Rave, Lucifer Guard, and E&I Rave without many problems. If at all.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Looking back at TGS10 trailer, I would say the problem was going too far with the change to where you couldn't reconcile this trailer with what the franchise is/was at the time. No one would have guessed it was a DMC game so you could have just pulled a Phantom Pain and introduce it as something else.

Change a few names and voila new IP.

Top Bottom