• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Fine Line of Change

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Question for that is:
How far can some gamers go with their over-obsession for gaming?
I ask this because I admit being a bit obsessive over gaming myself considering I've been playing games since I was a kid.

It depends mainly on what experiences you seek in games. For example: i compete on national and regional tournaments of fighting games (SSFIVAE 2012, KoF XIII and already played MK9 but dropped it). Depends on what's your mindset towards specific games, i'm a competitor on fighting games but a casual player of some RPGs like Dark or Demon souls that are two of my most loved games from this generation, i can use this example with MGS4 too. It can comes to a point were it's not just mindless obssession or addiction, but could be a more "professional" (competitive gaming) take or even a hobbie that you like and practice as an martial art, chess or even reading.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Question for that is:
I ask this because I admit being a bit obsessive over gaming myself considering I've been playing games since I was a kid.
I would say that something becomes an obsession and not just a passion when you do ONLY THAT in your life and have no other interests at all. For example, I met some fellow students who knew absolutely nothing about anything that wasn't philosophy. The only thing yxou could talk about with them was weather. That's an obsession, imo, even if it's an obsession that will one day give them a job (hopefully). Same goes with games. I can spend a whole day playing DmC, but this only happens once in a while, and I am interested in other things too: other games, books, movies, shows, going trekking, and so on.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I would say that something becomes an obsession and not just a passion when you do ONLY THAT in your life and have no other interests at all. For example, I met some fellow students who knew absolutely nothing about anything that wasn't philosophy. The only thing yxou could talk about with them was weather. That's an obsession, imo, even if it's an obsession that will one day give them a job (hopefully). Same goes with games. I can spend a whole day playing DmC, but this only happens once in a while, and I am interested in other things too: other games, books, movies, shows, going trekking, and so on.
It's all about control, as what New Vergil might put it...!

ChaserTech

Question for that is:

When something consumes your life to a point where you are thinking about it constantly, then you have a problem on your hands.

When I play Devil May Cry 4, I play it for only 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer but it's usually around 30 minutes or so. I've gotten pretty good in terms of executing combos and I have also made several videos about how to execute similar combos that I do. My passion for DMC4 exists only within the combo system. Aside from that, I don't really drive too far in the game itself since the combo system is all I really care about. However I don't think about it all day since DMC4 isn't the only thing on my mind.

Since I also play Project M (A mod for Super Smash Brothers Brawl) I compete in tournaments whenever I can as well as practicing with people in order to get better. Sure I spend a lot of time at these tournaments but I also get to meet new people while I'm there. As well as this, the people that I do meet are fairly cool. But none of them really "over obsess" themselves for Smash since they compete for it. And if it seems like they are overly committing themselves in Smash, it's because they are competing for money.

But if someone is literally neglecting daily responsibilities for gaming, then they are being irresponsible and obsessive about their hobby. If someone plays video games frequently without letting it control their daily lives, then they have found a balance for it and they only have a passion for gaming. Not an obsession.

But I ask if this passion may wound up turning itself into an insane obsession.

If it turns into an obsession then it's not a passion anymore. Simple.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You say obsession.

I say passion.

I'm not sure what the topic is here, but I hate it when people tell me I play games too much. I just get this overwhelming urge to tell them: Yeah? Well, maybe you should spend less time managing a business. To which they'd probably reply: ''Yeah, but that's my passion. Playing video games is an obsession.'' The F***? Should I start telling people who have fashion on their minds 24/7 that it's an obsession? And if it is, so what? Start making your life revolve around that obsession. Somebody likes video games? Then maybe they should become a video game developer or become part of a game developing company.

Just as a reaction to people calling it an obsession. I understand that if it's deleterious to your direct environment, you should stop doing it, but it's usually deleterious because you can't find the time to spend on it.

MigsRZXAStylish

When something consumes your life to a point where you are thinking about it constantly, then you have a problem on your hands.

When I play Devil May Cry 4, I play it for only 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer but it's usually around 30 minutes or so. I've gotten pretty good in terms of executing combos and I have also made several videos about how to execute similar combos that I do. My passion for DMC4 exists only within the combo system. Aside from that, I don't really drive too far in the game itself since the combo system is all I really care about. However I don't think about it all day since DMC4 isn't the only thing on my mind.

Since I also play Project M (A mod for Super Smash Brothers Brawl) I compete in tournaments whenever I can as well as practicing with people in order to get better. Sure I spend a lot of time at these tournaments but I also get to meet new people while I'm there. As well as this, the people that I do meet are fairly cool. But none of them really "over obsess" themselves for Smash since they compete for it. And if it seems like they are overly committing themselves in Smash, it's because they are competing for money.

But if someone is literally neglecting daily responsibilities for gaming, then they are being irresponsible and obsessive about their hobby. If someone plays video games frequently without letting it control their daily lives, then they have found a balance for it and they only have a passion for gaming. Not an obsession.

If it turns into an obsession then it's not a passion anymore. Simple.
You are so right on the last one. So let's prevent our passions turning into our own obsessions.

On another note regarding to the rest about DMC:
DMC4 indeed has a good combo system. And Dante's "Style Change" makes playing as Dante even more complex, let alone switching both firearms and Devil Arms. I prefer using Dante more than Nero.

Like LysseC and Loopy, I am for BOTH DMC AND DmC!

Some of the things repetitive in the DMC series are repetitive normal battle tracks (no wonder why some of the song titles have "generic" in it; those songs may be awesome, but the only real reason they were so memorable is repetition through the tracks being overplayed) and static environments, hence why the old games ran in 60 fps. Even Ninja Gaiden Sigma ran in 60 fps due to static environments! NG2/NGS2 ran in 30 fps, but it still looked playable!

Back on topic:
I agree there are good and bad changes. That's why I don't care much about change in general at all. In fact, the one reason why I don't give a damn about change is that life is all about change. We know many things, even people, do not last forever...

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
You are so right on the last one. So let's prevent our passions turning into our own obsessions.

On another note regarding to the rest about DMC:
DMC4 indeed has a good combo system. And Dante's "Style Change" makes playing as Dante even more complex, let alone switching both firearms and Devil Arms. I prefer using Dante more than Nero.

Like LysseC and Loopy, I am for BOTH DMC AND DmC!

Some of the things repetitive in the DMC series are repetitive normal battle tracks (no wonder why some of the song titles have "generic" in it; those songs may be awesome, but the only real reason they were so memorable is repetition through the tracks being overplayed) and static environments, hence why the old games ran in 60 fps. Even Ninja Gaiden Sigma ran in 60 fps due to static environments! NG2/NGS2 ran in 30 fps, but it still looked playable!

Back on topic:
I agree there are good and bad changes. That's why I don't care much about change in general at all. In fact, the one reason why I don't give a damn about change is that life is all about change. We know many things, even people, do not last forever...

Just wanted to correct something, NG2 and NGS2 is supposed to run at 60, but it can vary from 42 (X360, too much enemies are allowed on-screen in this version), 48 (PS3, the game has less enemies on-screen and in general than the 360 version) to 60 but never less than this, and in general it varies from 52 to 60 FPS unless you put a lot of stress on it. I'm playing NGS2 right now and it's kinda rare to notice some strong slowdowns.

Digital Foundry made a stress test with both games to see if they drop too much frames with too much enemies on-screen:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-ninja-gaiden-2-sigma-2-stress-test

MigsRZXAStylish

Just wanted to correct something, NG2 and NGS2 is supposed to run at 60, but it can vary from 42 (X360, too much enemies are allowed on-screen in this version), 48 (PS3, the game has less enemies on-screen and in general than the 360 version) to 60 but never less than this, and in general it varies from 52 to 60 FPS unless you put a lot of stress on it. I'm playing NGS2 right now and it's kinda rare to notice some strong slowdowns.

Digital Foundry made a stress test with both games to see if they drop too much frames with too much enemies on-screen:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-ninja-gaiden-2-sigma-2-stress-test
And at least, by removing some gore and dismembered parts, it went to a smooth framerate. Thanks for the correction Vine! :)
And to think Sony are a bunch of pussies doing so...

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
And at least, by removing some gore and dismembered parts, it went to a smooth framerate. Thanks for the correction Vine! :)
And to think Sony are a bunch of pussies doing so...

I'm thinking on getting a 360 just to play the original NG2 too haha, the lack of some gore is a minor letdown, but nothing dealbreaker; still i like much more the PS3 graphics, some of the outfits looks really awesome in NGS2 (i'm playing with the Fiend Ryu now on my Mentor playthrough). But to be honest, with the time i've get used to the lack of flying body parts, and started to appreciate the "light" gore on NGS2. Still, i want to play more the 360 version, it was the first version of the game i played but i never had a chance to went back and play more, i've heard that NG2 has some balance issues on Master Ninja Mode because of the cheapness of incendiary kunais, bazooka-men and explosive arrows.

Oh, and by the way. I highly recommend NGB/NGS and NG2/NGS2 for any fan of hack'n'slash games. It's the only hack'n'slash that i can say that i love as much as i love Devil May Cry.

MigsRZXAStylish

I'm thinking on getting a 360 just to play the original NG2 too haha, the lack of some gore is a minor letdown, but nothing dealbreaker; still i like much more the PS3 graphics, some of the outfits looks really awesome in NGS2 (i'm playing with the Fiend Ryu now on my Mentor playthrough). But to be honest, with the time i've get used to the lack of flying body parts, and started to appreciate the "light" gore on NGS2. Still, i want to play more the 360 version, it was the first version of the game i played but i never had a chance to went back and play more, i've heard that NG2 has some balance issues on Master Ninja Mode because of the cheapness of incendiary kunais, bazooka-men and explosive arrows.

Oh, and by the way. I highly recommend NGB/NGS and NG2/NGS2 for any fan of hack'n'slash games. It's the only hack'n'slash that i can say that i love as much as i love Devil May Cry.
I have BOTH NGS and NGS2, which are PS3-exclusive. I have yet to get NG3: Razor's Edge. When I saw the Steel-on-Bone techniques and use Karma points for upgrading, it convinced me to buy it! :D

And modern/recent NG is WAY better than the Devil May Cry games in general, be it DMC or DmC; it has more combos and a lot more challenge than it. I can also juggle normal ninjas (and tac ninjas) with the normal shuriken, like juggling Fetishes in DMC1!

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I have BOTH NGS and NGS2, which are PS3-exclusive. I have yet to get NG3: Razor's Edge. When I saw the Steel-on-Bone techniques and use Karma points for upgrading, it convinced me to buy it! :D

And modern/recent NG is WAY better than the Devil May Cry games in general, be it DMC or DmC; it has more combos and a lot more challenge than it. I can also juggle normal ninjas (and tac ninjas) with the normal shuriken, like juggling Fetishes in DMC1!

I kinda agree with you, the combat system on NGS itself is more engaging than in Devil May Cry, i mean, the enemies looks very similar to your character the way they combat you, but still they outnumber you, so to some extent all battles in NGS/NGS2 can be very engaging despite the low health of some enemies. DMC enemies only shines because of their inteligent design in some cases, NGS have a good design too, but who "carries" the challenge is the combat system itself. But i think that the combo system in DMC3 and 4 are arguably more complex than in NGS/NGS2 tho, but despite that, the weapons offer a good variety themselves even without some real-time switching or styles. About the challenge, yeah, i have to agree, some Chapters on normal mode in NGS are as tougher as some missions on DMD in Devil May Cry 3, let's put this way; i don't know if it was because i played them in sequence or if NGS2 normal mode (Warrior) is far, far easier than NGS normal mode; still the bosses and enemies are pretty engaging like in the first one.

Top Bottom