• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

so..

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Bayonetta 3 is officially funded and released on Switch only. Nintendo holds partial rights as publisher to the franchise: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/hideki_kamiya_shares_background_of_bayonetta_3_development
Well then, I guess Nintendo will end up owning the whole thing. Sega doesn't have the money to keep projects like that going. Nintendo will end up owning the whole thing. Same thing happened with Killer Instinct, where Nintendo, Midway, and Rare co-published Killer Instinct. It was licensed by Nintendo, but the other two ended up in a few places. Midway went bankrupt, and Rare was subsequently acquired by Microsoft, then Microsoft somehow got their hands on the Killer Instinct license/trademark after the sale. I honestly don't know how Microsoft ended up owning the Killer Instinct trademark/license now.

EDIT: Okay, I see now. I do remember the FOX show "Killer Instinct," so in the U.S. they couldn't use the trademark, but what's weird is HOW did Killer Instinct get released in the past? USPTO is ****ing stupid sometimes. Anyway, in the U.S., Killer Instinct's trademark has been transferred into a "co-existing" trademark. Whatever that means... https://www.engadget.com/2013/04/04/killer-instinct-trademark-trouble-cleared-up/

On NeoGAF, I found more: "As far as the USPTO cares, Nintendo held the trademark until 2006 when they abandoned it. Fox entered the trademark in 2005 and finally got it in 2008 (probably in part due to Nintendo's abandonment of it). And now Microsoft is trying to fill for the trademark but has been denied due to the similarity to Fox's trademark." Ah. Got it.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well then, I guess Nintendo will end up owning the whole thing. Sega doesn't have the money to keep projects like that going. Nintendo will end up owning the whole thing. Same thing happened with Killer Instinct, where Nintendo, Midway, and Rare co-published Killer Instinct. It was licensed by Nintendo, but the other two ended up in a few places. Midway went bankrupt, and Rare was subsequently acquired by Microsoft, then Microsoft somehow got their hands on the Killer Instinct license/trademark after the sale. I honestly don't know how Microsoft ended up owning the Killer Instinct trademark/license now.

EDIT: Okay, I see now. I do remember the FOX show "Killer Instinct," so in the U.S. they couldn't use the trademark, but what's weird is HOW did Killer Instinct get released in the past? USPTO is ****ing stupid sometimes. Anyway, in the U.S., Killer Instinct's trademark has been transferred into a "co-existing" trademark. Whatever that means... https://www.engadget.com/2013/04/04/killer-instinct-trademark-trouble-cleared-up/

On NeoGAF, I found more: "As far as the USPTO cares, Nintendo held the trademark until 2006 when they abandoned it. Fox entered the trademark in 2005 and finally got it in 2008 (probably in part due to Nintendo's abandonment of it). And now Microsoft is trying to fill for the trademark but has been denied due to the similarity to Fox's trademark." Ah. Got it.
How does it work with KI? Isn't newest Killer Instinct also called Killer Instinct? As for Bayonetta, I think Sega has money now, considering they own Atlus and it brings money in it's turn. But it doesn't seem Sega is interested to keep Bayo going, which is kinda dumb, since inronically as far as I know first one sold more than second.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
How does it work with KI? Isn't newest Killer Instinct also called Killer Instinct?
Look at the first part of my post, Fox allowed it. And then, Microsoft renewed the trademark, so that's how the trademark is able to be used.
As for Bayonetta, I think Sega has money now, considering they own Atlus and it brings money in it's turn. But it doesn't seem Sega is interested to keep Bayo going, which is kinda dumb, since inronically as far as I know first one sold more than second.
Just because Sega has the money to acquire Atlus, doesn't mean they have "free" money (money that's usually allocated to marketing, and other distribution allotments). Bayonetta sold well, but Sega at the time, and they still don't - have. money. If they did, they'd release quality games. We haven't seen a major Virtua Fighter in years. They didn't even greenlight Shenmue 3! The only major game they released was the Yakuza series, which ironically is similar to Shenmue if you really think about it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Just because Sega has the money to acquire Atlus, doesn't mean they have "free" money (money that's usually allocated to marketing, and other distribution allotments). Bayonetta sold well, but Sega at the time, and they still don't - have. money. If they did, they'd release quality games. We haven't seen a major Virtua Fighter in years. They didn't even greenlight Shenmue 3! The only major game they released was the Yakuza series, which ironically is similar to Shenmue if you really think about it.
What I meant, Atlus belongs to Sega now and their games are bringing some cash. Games like SMT and Persona have very loyal niche audience and selling pretty good for what they are.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't mind if they just try another reboot with a different company at the helm.

DmC was more controversial because of the stylistic choices than the idea of a reboot itself.

DarkSlayerVergil

I don't mind if they just try another reboot with a different company at the helm.

DmC was more controversial because of the stylistic choices than the idea of a reboot itself.
I disagree, I mean I heard many fans echoing the opinion that DMC didn't needed to be rebooted and it was fine the way it was which I don't agree with either.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I disagree, I mean I heard many fans echoing the opinion that DMC didn't needed to be rebooted and it was fine the way it was which I don't agree with either.
I know about that but i think the actual content was the bigger issue. People eventually would have been ok with a reboot if its a version of Dante they actually liked etc.

ShiningTempest

It should be clear that Itsuno made some of DmC's combat system.
The recent Dengeki interview also confirms that.
And who knows, there might be another chance for Ninja Theory to do another hack n slash, and if they do, then maybe we'll see mechanics from DmC.
We will find out anyway, Msoft bought them for a reason.But I bet that if they make a hack and slasher no mechanics would carry over from DmC.
You do realise that DmC is NT's product? Because somehow I have feeling that you missed point that game written and designed by NT. Porting existing asset has nothing to do with creating it.
They can hire Mercurysteam or THQ Nordic to make a sequel to DmC and take it into a different and new direction.
Could you perhaps try to tone down your attitude with whatever point you’re trying to make here. You’re coming off as extremely aggressive towards another member just because they have a view that you don’t seem to agree with. All I’m saying is...calm down a little. There’s no reason we can’t all have a valid discussion without seeming to come off too strong.
Relax. Nobody is getting attacked.

Goldsickle

I never had a goddamn problem when Raiden became the main character of MGS2.

Was never bothered by the style change of RE4.

Didn't find it a bother when Nero is the main character of DMC4.

A DMC reboot?
Wow, a new game to try out.

Wish more people wouldn't get so anal about wanting a game series to "remain pure".

DarkSlayerVergil

I never had a goddamn problem when Raiden became the main character of MGS2.

Was never bothered by the style change of RE4.

Didn't find it a bother when Nero is the main character of DMC4.

A DMC reboot?
Wow, a new game to try out.

Wish more people wouldn't get so anal about wanting a game series to "remain pure".
This right here as well, change isn't always bad.

Goldsickle

Sure. I love change.

I would love a fantasy dungeon adventure Call of Duty game.
Or a turn based GTA6.
Lets see if those series can get some change.
How original.
Every time anyone talks about accepting change, there will always be the smartass who responds with hyperbole like this.

DmC is neither a turn-based RPG nor a dance & rhythm game.
In it's core it's still an action game about a demon hunter, where the gameplay focuses on hack and slash combat with combos.

Goldsickle

Which was stripped down and turned into something mediocre.
Oh, what a well-thought post that was. You expect me to be convinced and say "wow, you're right" or something?

There's nothing "mediocre" about this:

Blazing fast combos are still very possible with this game and nothing about it was "stripped down".

Whatever complaints you have, it's probably gonna prove my point about how you're anal with the slightest change or you bring up old problems that have long been rectified in the Definitive Edition.

Goldsickle

Where is trickster?
Kinda redundant to require a separate mode just for multi-directional dodge, so it's actually a good thing that it can be done by default.
As for moves like Air Trick, that's what Angel Lift is for.

Where is your evidence that the changes are slightest?
You're so tense, you're misreading what I said.
I never said the "changes are slightest", I talked about how you might be "anal at the slightest change".
Don't misinterpret what I said.

Whatever answer you come up with you will end up insulting me, ignore all my points as 'trivial' and 'nit picky' and call me a fanboy.
Totally proved you wrong, didn't I?
I pointed out how you're anal about the absence of Trickster, even if there's a decent replacement for it and I also pointed out your illiteracy.

Last edited:

ShiningTempest

even if there's a decent replacement for it
You have not shown/proven anything.
As for moves like Air Trick, that's what Angel Lift is for.
First you are wrong.
Angel lift is a replacement for Sky Star not trick.
Trick dont exist in this game. No double sky star.

Kinda redundant to require a separate mode just for multi-directional dodge, so it's actually a good thing that it can be done by default.
Dash is not multi directional.
How can it be done by default?
I talked about how you might be "anal at the slightest change".

slightest change

lets break this down.
You claimed that I was anal at the slightest change?
For that to occur there has to be:
1) Slight changes
2) Myself being anal.

Now show what slight changes I am anal at.
Point out the changes(they have to exist right?)

I also pointed out your illiteracy.
Lets see how far you go without throwing a tantrum.

Goldsickle

You have not shown/proven anything.
Almost any combo video would be proof enough.
Players can use the abilities Dante has to whiz around enemies in mid-air for blazing fast attacks, like the one I just posted above.

First you are wrong.
Angel lift is a replacement for Sky Star not trick.
Except no.
Angel Lift is the chain maneuver where Dante pulls himself to the enemy.
The air dash is called Angel Boost.

"First, you are wrong"?
You sounded really confident about correcting me, only to be wrong yourself.
Must be blushing pretty pink behind that keyboard.
At least get the names right before arguing about Dante's moves.

Dash is not multi directional.
How can it be done by default?
Dash is multi-directional because you don't need to lock-on to an enemy and you can move anywhere.
The Roll maneuver requires locking on and Dante can only move towards his sides.
They just merged them together in DmC, where Dante can roll in any direction, without needing to lock on and the move itself has its own dedicated button.

Trick dont exist in this game. No double sky star.
What's the point of Air Trick?
To maneuver yourself quickly to the enemy.
What does Angel Lift do?
Pulls yourself to the enemy.
Different methods but similar results.

To begin, double Sky Star was a Devil-Trigger only move, so I doubt people used that frequently.
For double air Dash, you could use Caliber and Angel Boost in one jump.
Caliber was used a lot in DmC combo videos.
Not the same thing but there's still a substitute.

You claimed that I was anal at the slightest change?
For that to occur there has to be:
1) Slight changes
2) Myself being anal.
All in the beginning.
You argue about Trickster mode not being present even though there are decent substitutes for maneuvers like air dash or quickly closing in on an enemy.

Lets see how far you go without throwing a tantrum.
Wow, self-projection much?
This whole nonsense started because you threw a tantrum.
You couldn't let what I say slide, so you responded with a hyperbole.

ShiningTempest

You sounded really confident about correcting me, only to be wrong yourself.
Must be blushing pretty pink behind that keyboard.
At least get the names right before arguing about Dante's moves.
:tongue:
I dont remember the DmC names so much. Feel free to correct me if I mess up.
They just merged them together in DmC, where Dante can roll in any direction, without needing to lock on and the move itself has its own dedicated button.
Then why did they add lock on in the DE?
What did they merge? They removed trickster moves.
What's the point of Air Trick?
To maneuver yourself quickly to the enemy.
So there is no air trick.
Different methods but similar results.
Whats the point of DmC?
To begin, double Sky Star was a Devil-Trigger only move, so I doubt people used that frequently.
I used it frequently.
Can you do that in DmC?
For double air Dash, you could use Caliber and Angel Boost in one jump.
So there is no double dash.
decent substitutes for maneuvers like air dash or quickly closing in on an enemy.
You havent shown any substitute that is decent.

Top Bottom